Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 10:15   #31
BHPian

Re: 16,000km update

Hi Honeybee

Thank you for the info. As for now I have changed all the 5 wheels to tube type Bridgestone Duelers D689 and are quite happy with them. I still have steel rims. Actually I prefer them. In future if I go for alloys I may try tubeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If the rims are straight, i.e. if their edges are not deformed you can fit tubeless tyres on them. With tubeless tyres the air is sealed inside the tyre and not the tube. Therefore it's necessary to ensure the tyre beads well with the rim. So if there are any oddities on the rim edges where the tyre beads, tubeless tyres are out.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:30   #32
BHPian

Re: Bolero VLX Crde (Storm) - long term report

Just an update. The right side front door power window unit has failed. I guess it was due to the impact earlier. Motor is working but the cog wheel has slipped. Sad part is spare is not available. Seems the new Boleros comes with a different model.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:03   #33
BHPian

Hi,

Just had mine serviced on the weekend (first service). Before the service I experienced the wheels locking on light braking and the LSPV acting up, after the first few monsoon showers.

The service cost me Rs 6000 with a body lube kit and silencer coating. Left the car at 9.45 with Koncept Noida and took delivery at 16.45. Checked under hood the next morning to find water instead of coolant, had noticed my temp gauge hitting a higher mark.

My fuel tank lever doesn't work had hell of a time trying to open and then shut the external cover. My back door is jammed shut and call me petty minded but my bottle of dash board polish was missing.

Am going tomorrow morning to give them a piece of my mind. I just can't understand why I bought a Bolero again instead of maybe a nice Volkswagon or a Suzuki sedan, you'd think I'd learn my lesson after having experienced the Mahindra way earlier?

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 11th July 2011, 14:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
The service cost me Rs 6000 with a body lube kit and silencer coating.
What's that? I have never ever heard this as a recommended service procedure, who recommended this -- Dealer?

Spike
Old 11th July 2011, 14:22   #35
BHPian

Yes Spike it was the service supervisor, I will refer to the bill and quote the exact amounts.

Warm regards,

Chaunfa
Old 11th July 2011, 15:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The service cost me Rs 6000 with a body lube kit and silencer coating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What's that? I have never ever heard this as a recommended service procedure
This might be a replacement gimmick for the 'engine treatment' & 'A.C. neutralizer treatment' gimmicks, since a lot of owners had caught onto that one and were specifically avoiding these 'treatments' during the service! How else do the dealers make money Saar?

Quote:
My fuel tank lever doesn't work had hell of a time trying to open and then shut the external cover. My back door is jammed shut
In my case all these problems had something to do with the washer linings of the concerned door/s.

Quote:
my bottle of dash board polish was missing
I specifically have a duffel bag which is the designated 'vehicle service bag'. I remove everything from the car and stuff it into this bag, whenever I'm giving the vehicle for service. I get a lot of laughs, but it prevents me from a lot of petty crying!

Last edited by MudMover : 11th July 2011 at 15:30.
Old 16th July 2011, 12:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
This might be a replacement gimmick for the 'engine treatment' & 'A.C. neutralizer treatment' gimmicks, since a lot of owners had caught onto that one and were specifically avoiding these 'treatments' during the service! How else do the dealers make money Saar?

In my case all these problems had something to do with the washer linings of the concerned door/s.

I specifically have a duffel bag which is the designated 'vehicle service bag'. I remove everything from the car and stuff it into this bag, whenever I'm giving the vehicle for service. I get a lot of laughs, but it prevents me from a lot of petty crying!
Hi,

I tried to correct the above mentioned problems today but service supe vanished after asking all the right questions, so even after an hour of waiting no work done. I left for office instead.
Actually must apologise for the dashboard polish bottle, found it lying on the floor near the passenger side. (I too have created a service jhola bag :-)).

I tried to while away the time by test driving the 'thar', God do i feel awful now. Don't know if the pain will go if I slam my head into the desk for a while. It is a thousand times more exciting to drive than my Bolero CRDE.

Wish...wish...wish...if only...if only...if only...sigh.

Regards,

Dev

Last edited by chaunfa : 16th July 2011 at 12:26.
Old 16th July 2011, 12:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to while away the time by test driving the 'thar', God do i feel awful now. Don't know if the pain will go if I slam my head into the desk for a while. It is a thousand times more exciting to drive than my Bolero CRDE.

Wish...wish...wish...if only...if only...if only...sigh.
Dev, I told you so many times-- Wait! Anything else you noticed during your TD, any feedbacks to share?

Spike
Old 16th July 2011, 15:03   #39
BHPian

Spike,

i acclerated into a curve and the car handled beautifully, kept speeding and following the curved line drawn on the tarmac...it has incredible control. Even the gear shift is better than in my Bolero, it is really light and easy. the space in front is unbelievable, i think even adding forward facing seats in the back will keep the car roomy.

The mistake that I made was putting un-necessary pressure on my self by selling my daily ride Bolero. Now the dealers are rolling them out all over the place, in any colour that you want.

Don't know about the rest of India but here it is selling hotter than cakes. Now I bet I am in a soup for hi-jacking the thread. My sincere apologies.

Chaunfa
Old 26th July 2011, 19:50   #40
BHPian

Dear chaunfa

No problem - you can vent out and hijack this thread. But keep a look out for the brakes and do keep us updated. I also once got fooled by "A/C neutraliser" and "silencer galvanising". But now I have grown older & wiser. I specify to the service adviser what all needs to be done as per the service manual only. Get in touch with M&M customer care Manager in your area. Call him - talk to him. Give him feedback. M&M is trying their best to satisfy us and move up in JD Power survey I guess. And trust me they are doing an honest and good job. It is the ASC who play tricks. Nowadays M&M call me each time for feedback right after service.

As far as your Thar > Bolero dilemma I have been through same 8 yrs back before buying my 1st Bolero. At that time it was Bolero Vs Invader (2wd Vs 4wd). It is the difference between “want” & “need”. Both of them are completely different vehicle from practical point of view. Call it MUV/SUV or whatever – Bolero is a go anywhere “family” vehicle with basic creature comforts and safety. Thar is a cowboy vehicle. If you are single it’s a great choice. In Delhi heat / cold it cannot be your (or your family) daily ride. So I leave the decision to you. It’s painful I know. I too want the Thar but it will never replace my Bolero. Basically it’s a great 2nd bling 4x4 vehicle but cannot be your only family mover.

The above are my personal opinion and am not comparing Bolero with Thar – nut by nut, bolt by bolt. So Thar lovers please don’t jump on me

Small update: Filled Nitrogen in all the wheels. Filled 30psi but felt kinda jumpy.

Q1. When filling Nitrogen should we fill less then the recommended psi? say 28psi instead of 30psi air
Q2. The Nitrogen filling guy filled 33psi when I asked for 28psi claiming 5 psi is lost in transition. It that true?
Old 27th July 2011, 13:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Dear chaunfa

No problem - you can vent out and hijack this thread. But keep a look out for the brakes and do keep us updated. I also once got fooled by "A/C neutraliser" and "silencer galvanising". But now I have grown older & wiser. I specify to the service adviser what all needs to be done as per the service manual only. Get in touch with M&M customer care Manager in your area. Call him - talk to him. Give him feedback. M&M is trying their best to satisfy us and move up in JD Power survey I guess. And trust me they are doing an honest and good job. It is the ASC who play tricks. Nowadays M&M call me each time for feedback right after service.

As far as your Thar > Bolero dilemma I have been through same 8 yrs back before buying my 1st Bolero. At that time it was Bolero Vs Invader (2wd Vs 4wd). It is the difference between “want” & “need”. Both of them are completely different vehicle from practical point of view. Call it MUV/SUV or whatever – Bolero is a go anywhere “family” vehicle with basic creature comforts and safety. Thar is a cowboy vehicle. If you are single it’s a great choice. In Delhi heat / cold it cannot be your (or your family) daily ride. So I leave the decision to you. It’s painful I know. I too want the Thar but it will never replace my Bolero. Basically it’s a great 2nd bling 4x4 vehicle but cannot be your only family mover.

The above are my personal opinion and am not comparing Bolero with Thar – nut by nut, bolt by bolt. So Thar lovers please don’t jump on me
Same reason I bought the Getaway. Too many practical difficulties :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Small update: Filled Nitrogen in all the wheels. Filled 30psi but felt kinda jumpy.

Q1. When filling Nitrogen should we fill less then the recommended psi? say 28psi instead of 30psi air
Q2. The Nitrogen filling guy filled 33psi when I asked for 28psi claiming 5 psi is lost in transition. It that true?
Ans1: Nope you should only fill the exact pressure as pressure has nothing to do with varying kind of gas
Ans2: Load of Bull!

I have a feeling the pressure gauge is conked at the store you filled it from and hence he is giving all these weird explanations.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:42   #42
BHPian

Re: Bolero VLX Crde (Storm) - 30,000 km update

Hi all

Nothing much to report (which is actually good). Completed 30,600km as I write this report. Went on 3 long road trips recently. Very smooth on the highway and no complain whatsoever. Last service was on 26,000 odd km. Next service due on 36,000km but am planning to do it around 35,000 km to match it with the recommended service interval

The horns (Roots brand) conked off again. Due to rain / water service I guess. This set lasted over 2 yrs. Got a new pair - lets see how long it last.

Finally fixed extra driving lamps for foggy / rainy nights on a custom made light bar in the bumper. Will post a pix later.
Old 18th December 2011, 09:02   #43
BHPian

Rockyb,

I'm seriously considering getting a Bolero in the next few months. I want a diesel, a large vehicle I can drive freely in traffic without being anxious about someone scratching it, a vehicle that gives me the freedom to go wherever I want to without having to WORRY about road quality.

I test drove the Bolero yesterday and found the steering extremely light and vague. I also did not like the brakes - they felt similar to those on the Xylo. I only drove it a few km within the city, but I am concerned about the expected highway experience. You have already written about the brakes, but I'd like to have specific feedback on the steering feel at highway speeds.
Old 18th December 2011, 10:11   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
but I'd like to have specific feedback on the steering feel at highway speeds.
Let me pitch in here, Skandy if I may. The Bolero's steering begins to feel pretty vague and disconnected at any speed above 100kmph on a flat highway and above 90 kmph on an undulating/winding road since it was not designed to handle such speeds in the first place.

Cruise at 80-85 kmph and both you and your Bolero end up being happy partners.
Old 18th May 2013, 19:20   #45
BHPian

Re: Bolero VLX Crde (Storm) - 42,000km

Hi all

Sorry for the long gap. My Whitefeather has completed 42,000+ km. I have recently switched my ASC due to distance. After the launch of XUV500 my regular ASC started servicing on XUV and ASC that service Bolero moved further. After launch of Rexton it moved even further. Soon it will out of Bangalore city limits.

So I went to the nearby ASC who still does Bolero. At that time (Dec 12) odo reading was 38,500 odd km. So I asked him to just check and change front brake pads if necessary. The service adviser started filling up the form for 40,000km service - logic being. "Saar - its already 38,500 - you will either have to do it at 40,000". When he asked me to sign - I cancelled the whole form - gave him a piece of my mind and told him to do what I want and not what he wants.

Next I went to service at 41,000km and did all the service that was suppose to be done at 40,000km. Good part was the earlier service adviser is gone and this time a met with a freindly knowledgeable lady who didn't try to push any "service" to me.

Only 2 things to report. My rear leaf springs were almost flattened. So I got it re-cambered. Reason being I overloaded it recently quite a few times - so my fault.

Secondly - there are signs of my clutch plate / pressure plate wear / tear. This was pointed out my the adviser. There is no obvious driving behavior or mileage change in my Bolero but it better to change is ASAP. May be I will go for second opinion.

Off to Goa soon! Glad to drive 5th highest selling car in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks