Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 19:10   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I feel the load on the vehicle had a lot to do with improving the driving dynamics. Did you feel any difference on the return journey without the load?
@bens: I too feel the added weight did help. No, I have not yet made the return trip. Will update.
Old 21st July 2010, 21:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

any more updates on 4X4 usage? I am very keen to listen from you on rigorous 4X4 usage and how does it behaves?
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:48   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
any more updates on 4X4 usage? I am very keen to listen from you on rigorous 4X4 usage and how does it behaves?
Not got a chance to take it off-road since the last set of pics. Basically before any extensive off-road usage, the front and rear bumper & running boards have to be removed or modified. The Scorpio in stock form cannot be really used off-road except in mind conditions due to the terrible front and rear overhang and the side steps. My main usage was for slippery estate roads and farm roads and not off-road per-se. I just took it out once to test it's capabilities.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Now that I have had the Scorpio for two months and feel more comfortable with it's handling and dynamics, I really floored it on this trip. Vehicle was fully loaded, including 3 adults, luggage and a 1.5 ton split ac at the back (don't ask me why). Despite the load, the Scorpio hits 150 kmph easily. Even after 150 kmph the engine can go but shows some strain. It also handled fine and I feel a lot more confident now having used it for a while. Still for any sharp turns, I brought the speed down to under 120 kmph. From Cumbum, I climbed the hills to kumily and even in the hills there was plenty of power with no turbo lag. Whatever other gripes I have with this vehicle, I am impressed with the powertrain. Having driven up and down the Kumily ghats today, I am confident with the handling as well.
The newer Scorp's are much more refined and the handling characteristics are quite different from the older 2.6 CRDe's. I have driven the stretch between Cumbum and kumily and up the mountain range all the way to Vagamon and it never missed a beat.

In-fact there were instances where I simply floored it while driving uphill. If the rpm stays beyond the 1200 mark while shifting its seldom that you experience the turbo lag. I think the next time you drive to Kottayam try the stretch from Elappara to Vagamon and a little beyond. You can test the scorpio's power train thoroughly here.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 22nd July 2010 at 16:15.
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the scorpio sells only & only because of its engine!
Raj I suggest that you take a deep breath have a glass of water before making such sweeping statements .
Any comparative studies done by you exclusively to support your claims. If yes kindly share the data here a few of us would like to know on what factors this was decided?
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Riju, since the Mods have deleted my post, i guess they dont want any off topic discussions here, so we shall discuss this later somewhere!

Anyways, dont take that statement of mine too seriously, chill bro! i could reframe it like this - the main reason it sells is because of its engine!
Old 17th September 2010, 19:04   #52
BHPian

I too have booked a 4x4. Delivery time is within 2 months. Waiting waiting...loved the pics here.
Old 5th October 2010, 19:14   #53
NFS
BHPian

@4x4addict: I have an option of buying the vehicle from Kerala (6% road tax) and save some money than buy it from Chennai (15% road tax). My usage would be mostly in Chennai and adjoining places. May be once in 6 months drive to kerala, but not sure if every 6 months, I will drive down.

Questions:
1. What are the chances of cops stopping me with a KL scorpio at Chennai
2. Political rivalry between TN and Kerala changes at times, RIOTS or things like that may invite a stone on KL registered wind shield.
3. You are branded a Mallu in Chennai

Am I too cautious? May be you are correct, but the reason for these questions are because you had been driving around a KL Scorpio in Chennai for almost 10 months now. I thought you may be able to give some insights to these questions from you.

If I buy KL registered vehicle, I save 9% which is near to a Lakh of rupee.

Really tempting...

NFS
Old 6th October 2010, 18:02   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

@NFS:
Road Tax in Kerala has now increases since the last budget to 8%. I didn't consider the tax when I bought the vehicle. My main reason for KL was since I want to eventually send the vehicle back to Kerala after my chennai usage. Secondly my vehicle is half the time in Kerala when I am there.

I suggest getting a TN vehicle from a general hazzle free standpoint.

For example today, I got rear ended on OMR by a Tata 407. Initially he tried to act arrogant seeing my out of state registration. So I had a friend of mine call the Commissioners office and and SI came from Guindy station and took the 407 to the station. Only after he realized what he was up against, did he agree to reluctantly cough up 10K which should cover my out of pocket expenses from the insurance claim.

I have attached some photos from today's accident. There have been people who tried to give me grief about the KL registration, but I have lived in chennai for many years and there are a few people I can call for favours so it hasn't been an issue for me. However, my advice is to get a TN registered vehicle to avoid these headaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio VLX mhawk 4WD with Air Bags EDIT - 43000 kms update-scorpiorearend.jpg  

Scorpio VLX mhawk 4WD with Air Bags EDIT - 43000 kms update-scorpiorearend2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 6th October 2010, 18:16   #55
BHPian

Thats looks really bad, it looks like the 407 bumper was way above the pintal hook else the pintal hook would have saved a the rear, now you need a completely new door, glass and the plastic cladding on the rear door, just get the 4wd sticker carefully form the door as that is one thing that would be hard to come by!

Hope every body inside were alright.
-Pramod
Old 6th October 2010, 19:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to see the state of your rear door. Hope everybody inside are all right !
Old 6th October 2010, 19:13   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

The first dent always hurts the most, and yours is a very big one. Aren't you glad this wasn't the Nissan? Cheer up!
Old 6th October 2010, 19:22   #58
NFS
BHPian

Oh my god! that was a bad crash. Hope no one was hurt. My God, never wanted to ask the question of KL & TN registration, but was reading through your 4wd scorpio and found its registration to be of KL, thought you would be a right person for this question. So sad to get this example of why I should go for TN registration.

Sorry again! Hope things settle down for you.

NFS
Old 6th October 2010, 20:49   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I am not really bothered about the vehicle perse. It is just that the kids are off from school next week and we were planning on a extended road trip. Those plans are now down the drain. This is what is most upsetting. Anyways, this is life, I guess...

I was alone in the car so no body was hurt.

Thankfully the door and bumper took most of the impact so there is no issues with the general body line or chasis. Got a call from the dealer India Garage saying the following needs be changed:

1) Door (only 5% depreciation)
2) Bumper Middle portion(50% depreciation)
3) Rear Glass (no depreciation)
4) Window sealant beading etc...
5) Cladding on rear door.

Overall it should come out okay since there will be no repaired parts but all new parts once they are done. It is a bigger problem when you get the body panels. Funny thing was the parking sensors continued to work fine despite the impact.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th October 2010 at 20:52.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

feels sad to see that dent buddy. serves right to the truck driver... first he rear ends your car & then tries to act smart!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks