Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 14:16   #751
BHPian

Re: 16161 KM Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I still loose a heartbeat every time i see a Grande Punto (especially in white and red). Thats one car that i really miss owning. My basic criteria of not wanting my car to take away my peace of mind every time i had to visit the service centre played villain and i was forced to not include the Punto in my final list. Nine months down the line did the Figo really meet my basic criteria of Peace of Mind? Lets see..
Nice post..in an already highly informative thread about Figo.
If one needs to buy a FIGO Diesel this is the thread that they should read, for an unbiased long term report from a real owner.
Old 11th January 2011, 15:46   #752
BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 16,000 km upd

Excellent 16K report Gemi. Summing up the experiences till now pretty sweetly. 16K in 9 months is just, what to say? Just get out of your car man!

What you have for the Punto, I face with the i20 CRDi. Every time one goes by me, I turn my head eagerly to check if it has the "CRDi" badge on the hatch door. But then the i20 had some issues which could not be ignored, hence we went for the Figo. And the Figo has never disappointed us till date. Like you have said earlier, it is nothing outstanding, but does everything well above average, and I'm loving it.
Old 11th January 2011, 18:39   #753
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 10,000 km upd

Quote:

Are you sure its from the plastic cladding for c pillar or is it from under?
I am pretty sure that it is from the c pillar, but yeah I never tried it under the body. Let me see if I can nail it there.

Congrats on 16k and I keep asking this question more often than not

I am in dual mind on whether or not to go for the tuning box.

A normal tuning kit from UK would cost me 100 GBP and add to that a KandN air filter. The more I read about them the more I get confused.

I personally do not see any more power required in low range and may be even in mid range, so what do you suggest are these mods good if I want a power boost say post 2500 on tacho?

And sometimes I say to myself, heck just let it run the way it is!!

By the way, my Figo has gone crazy it has been consistently alternating between 19 and 15 kmpl for almost similar driving patterns, I wonder why!!

This happened over last four refills! Any idea?
Old 12th January 2011, 14:48   #754
BHPian

Re: 16161 KM Update

Quote:
I still loose a heartbeat every time i see a Grande Punto (especially in white and red). Thats one car that i really miss owning.
I have the best of both worlds. I have the Figo, My FIL has the Punto .
Both are fairly equally capable and value for money cars. Punto's bad are the
interior plastics(FIL's 18month old car plastics already feels 3yr old), gearshift(not as precise as Figo) and the booming engine sound. Everything else is very good(build quality,drivability,better midrange,ride,better seats). There is nothing in Figo that stands out as bad except for the squeaks. So I still prefer the Figo.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:51   #755
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 16,000 km upd

Also Gemi, forgot to ask you before, are you (or anyone readig this thread for that matter) planning to go for synthetic oil? Any Ford specific issues if we do?
Old 13th January 2011, 08:16   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Nice post..in an already highly informative thread about Figo.
If one needs to buy a FIGO Diesel this is the thread that they should read, for an unbiased long term report from a real owner.
Thanks Daewood. Its such feedback that keep me motivated. My head is already touching the ceiling but GUYS!...keep it coming in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Excellent 16K report Gemi. Summing up the experiences till now pretty sweetly. 16K in 9 months is just, what to say? Just get out of your car man!

What you have for the Punto, I face with the i20 CRDi. Every time one goes by me, I turn my head eagerly to check if it has the "CRDi" badge on the hatch door. But then the i20 had some issues which could not be ignored, hence we went for the Figo. And the Figo has never disappointed us till date. Like you have said earlier, it is nothing outstanding, but does everything well above average, and I'm loving it.
I now think its better you stick to your mind if you need peace of mind in a car ownership. If you buy a car with your heart you would always be worried about the slightest issue (and thats prone to happen in every other car). I now think thats the reason why FIAT customers complain so much. You can never buy a FIAT car with your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am pretty sure that it is from the c pillar, but yeah I never tried it under the body. Let me see if I can nail it there.

Congrats on 16k and I keep asking this question more often than not

I am in dual mind on whether or not to go for the tuning box.

A normal tuning kit from UK would cost me 100 GBP and add to that a KandN air filter. The more I read about them the more I get confused.

I personally do not see any more power required in low range and may be even in mid range, so what do you suggest are these mods good if I want a power boost say post 2500 on tacho?

And sometimes I say to myself, heck just let it run the way it is!!

By the way, my Figo has gone crazy it has been consistently alternating between 19 and 15 kmpl for almost similar driving patterns, I wonder why!!

This happened over last four refills! Any idea?
About the need for a tuning box. I am doing some small research. Will post details soon. About the 19kmpl mileage...well i've never been able to extract that much except once when i was having around 34psi in my tyres and was running on really good roads at very normal speed. But that time i travelled for almost an extra hour before i reached my destination.

I have noticed that air pressure in tyre plays a major role in F.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I have the best of both worlds. I have the Figo, My FIL has the Punto
Both are fairly equally capable and value for money cars. Punto's bad are the
interior plastics(FIL's 18month old car plastics already feels 3yr old), gearshift(not as precise as Figo) and the booming engine sound. Everything else is very good(build quality,drivability,better midrange,ride,better seats). There is nothing in Figo that stands out as bad except for the squeaks. So I still prefer the Figo.
Thats a very reassuring post. But still i too would have loved to have a FIL with a Punto

Would love to hear a detailed comparison on both cars from someone who has good experience with both. Could you please post about it here.

Quote:
Also Gemi, forgot to ask you before, are you (or anyone readig this thread for that matter) planning to go for synthetic oil? Any Ford specific issues if we do?
I have spoken to the service engineer at Ford A.S.S about this thing. He said that Ford is using semi synthetic oil and hence its really not worth the money especially if you are running enough to require an oil change every 6-8 months. I thought it was logical.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:12   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Gemithomas, that's a very honest ownership report which is devoid of fanbosim or bashing. I liked it. Wishing you many more happy miles
Old 13th January 2011, 15:41   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Would love to hear a detailed comparison on both cars from someone who has good experience with both. Could you please post about it here.
I will do it when I post my 10000km ownership report. May be this month end.
I am no expert though. Learning so many things from Tbhp. I wish I had taken more photos of the Punto.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:43   #759
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my figo gives me a feeling of acceleration while I brake in first and second gears. What is wrong? I really do not want to go to service center w/o being informed, kindly let me know if you have any knowledge on this problem.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:27   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Gemithomas, that's a very honest ownership report which is devoid of fanbosim or bashing. I liked it. Wishing you many more happy miles
Thanks a lot kiku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I will do it when I post my 10000km ownership report. May be this month end.
I am no expert though. Learning so many things from Tbhp. I wish I had taken more photos of the Punto.
Excellent. Do run more per day so that we get the review at the earliest.

Quote:
Guys, my figo gives me a feeling of acceleration while I brake in first and second gears. What is wrong? I really do not want to go to service center w/o being informed, kindly let me know if you have any knowledge on this problem.
Its normal with diesels. At slow speeds when you brake without pressing the clutch the torque takes over and tries to pull the car forward. Should not really need a A.S.S Visit.

Guys. Avoid going to the A.S.S unless its very necessary and you have some idea of what needs to be done. This could keep you car and pocket safe.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:42   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

About the need for a tuning box. I am doing some small research. Will post details soon. About the 19kmpl mileage...well i've never been able to extract that much except once when i was having around 34psi in my tyres and was running on really good roads at very normal speed. But that time i travelled for almost an extra hour before i reached my destination.
Will be waiting for the research results with all eyes!!

Quote:
I have noticed that air pressure in tyre plays a major role in F.E.
Very true, I get optimum mileage at 32-33 PSi.

Quote:
I have spoken to the service engineer at Ford A.S.S about this thing. He said that Ford is using semi synthetic oil and hence its really not worth the money especially if you are running enough to require an oil change every 6-8 months. I thought it was logical.
Thanks for the info. It indeed is logical!
Quote:

Its normal with diesels. At slow speeds when you brake without pressing the clutch the torque takes over and tries to pull the car forward. Should not really need a A.S.S Visit.

Guys. Avoid going to the A.S.S unless its very necessary and you have some idea of what needs to be done. This could keep you car and pocket safe.
Thought so, but read somewhere that accelerating feeling while braking means some worn out part (forgot what part that was)

I was just trying to compile as many problems I may be having before I go for my second service, I clocked 9500 so far and hence all the questions.

Thanks for the replies!!!
Old 17th January 2011, 10:42   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Thought so, but read somewhere that accelerating feeling while braking means some worn out part (forgot what part that was)
Gurus plz elaborate on this..

i too thought it's because of turbo.
I've experienced the same in Figo and also my friend's Swift Diesel.
Old 24th January 2011, 07:47   #763
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review UnAuthorised Ford Service Engineer cum Owner..

Yes this is a good car. No doubt. Eventhough I have had bad A-S-S experience of all the owners so far, I support this product.

As said, the Audio is wonderful... Heard that Ford has come out with latest version of Audio with some minor improvements.

Let me have a discussion on your FE part shortly...

Happy (More) Motoring
Old 24th January 2011, 13:07   #764
BHPian

Excellent thread gemithomas
Your thread has helped me a lot in the decision to buy a figo and more so after buying!
For all the problems, solutions, updates, opinions that you have posted till now, I finally get a chance to say a biiiig thanks from my side

As somebody already mentioned, this is THE thread to follow, if you are a figo owner or a prospective buyer!
Old 24th January 2011, 15:34   #765
Senior - BHPian

Another Milestone

Thanks a lot Friends. Thanks a lot. It is your replies that have inspired me to build this thread

I just reached another milestone.

Its kind of a weird one but thought of sharing it.

Have pumped in 1000 litres of diesel into the Figo's Tank. Average Mileage hangs around 16.5 km/l.

A rough calculation shows that the average running costs including service (1&2) costs comes to Rs.2.50 per km driven.

Atleast for the time being. The Figo is a REAL VALUE FOR MONEY HATCH both to BUY and to RUN.

I bow my head with Gratitude to Maruti Suzuki Who decided to let me down in terms of feature list, price, discounts and dealer attitude when i had kept my eyes closed while looking at "only the ritz and swift" during the planning phase of my purchase. It is their efforts that allowed me to Go Ahead (pun intended) and buy the Figo.

Hope and Pray the same experience continues. Wish you all Figo owners a Happy Ownership.

Most Viewed