Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 15:40   #121
BHPian

Gemi, how good are the brakes on the EXI compared to the Titanium version?
Old 27th March 2010, 16:21   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I wanted some help. Is it ok to let the engine pull on its own (no leg on clutch or accelerator) while moving in traffic? Is it bad to do so or should i do it just as in petrols. Slowly depress accelerator while slowly releasing clutch. Which one is better for the car.
gemi, I guess there is no issue with doing this. In GTO's review, he had mentioned this as a boon ! He observed that in third gear and without accelerator, the TDCi happily chugs along at about 22.5 kph. I will definitely find this useful in the crawling Bangalore traffic
Old 27th March 2010, 16:33   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Gemi, how good are the brakes on the EXI compared to the Titanium version?
I really cant say. Just had a small test drive on the Titanium version before i got delivery of my car. All i can say is the brakes on the Exi never gave me a feel of being inferior in anyway even during emergency braking. I'd even say its way close to the superb braking on our fusion 1.6.
Old 28th March 2010, 00:17   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted some help. Is it ok to let the engine pull on its own (no leg on clutch or accelerator) while moving in traffic? Is it bad to do so or should i do it just as in petrols. Slowly depress accelerator while slowly releasing clutch. Which one is better for the car.
Hi Gemi, this is one of the positives of a diesel - loads and loads of torque.

u can without any issues release the clutch fully and then press the accelerator. Actually this will help in increasing the life of the clutch pads.

u need to press the accelerator when u tend to feel that the engine is taking load and wont survive without the accelerator. otherwise no need.

My dad owns an ISUZU Gemini 1983 model 1.8 diesel car (imported from japan) and u wont believe it, it still uses the original clutch pads 26 yrs ol going on to 27th this july

Now v r going to buy the figo, have booked it on 24th mar 2010, our second car after the ISUZU. And ISUZU is doing fine. no issues, original engine.
Actually everything original except the filters.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Now v r going to buy the figo, have booked it on 24th mar 2010, our second car after the ISUZU. And ISUZU is doing fine. no issues, original engine.
Actually everything original except the filters.
Oh! My God! 26 Years of service from a clutch!!!! You need to apply for the book of records All the best with your new car purchase.

Here are a few more pic updates from my side. The first pic shows passenger seat moved completely to the back and the driver seat kept at my comfortable driving position (I am 5'10 and prefer not to sit too much forward). The second pic gives you a feel of how much space is really left for the rear passengers leg.

But before you decide its cramped. Just go through the third. How many times would you want to use so much space in the front!!! I'd say rear leg space is above average for a car this size.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03749.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03753.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03752.jpg  

Old 28th March 2010, 16:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

I just found out this feature on the music system.

If the music system is on and you turn off the engine and remove the key, the music system turns off too.

But press the "on" switch and it turns back on. Good when you want to park with someone inside who needs to hear music. You dont have to keep the key in the car when you go.

The interesting part is that when you turn on the system like this, it shows "1 hour" before it starts playing. Probably it means it would turn off after an hour. Battery Saving Feature i guess.
Old 28th March 2010, 19:04   #127
BHPian

Yes, I discovered that during the Test Drive. I took the key out after the TD and handed it to the Showroom person and the player was still playing. Very cool feature, because I sometimes leave my wife in the car while I go to the ATM. Now she can be occupied while I do so.

Quote:

If the music system is on and you turn off the engine and remove the key, the music system turns off too.

But press the "on" switch and it turns back on. Good when you want to park with someone inside who needs to hear music. You dont have to keep the key in the car when you go.

The interesting part is that when you turn on the system like this, it shows "1 hour" before it starts playing. Probably it means it would turn off after an hour. Battery Saving Feature i guess.
Old 28th March 2010, 19:33   #128
BHPian

Congrats on the new horse Gemi, lovely choice of color, vibrant.

Quick question, How's it fairing against the older Ford that you have? I have narrowed down on a Petrol 1.2 Titanium for basic daily commute in city (500km tops) for wife but was still wondering if I should go for the Diesel. The Fusion will continue to be the highway vehicle for at least another 2 years.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your updates, the pictures are great. The music player feature is a thoughtful thing.
We keep troubling you with requests for more pictures, and I will do the same .

Here's my request:

a. Exterior: Fusion and Figo in the same shot from 3 angles, front, 3/4 side, back.

b. If possible, some interior shots of the Fusion with the same seat configuration as the ones you took with the Figo.

Now, do this only when you have time to spare and if it is not too much of a bother. The rationale behind the request is that the Fusion and the Figo have similar lengths, I wanted to compare the exterior looks and the interior packaging.

Last edited by Amartya : 29th March 2010 at 01:26.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
I have narrowed down on a Petrol 1.2 Titanium for basic daily commute in city (500km tops) for wife but was still wondering if I should go for the Diesel. The Fusion will continue to be the highway vehicle for at least another 2 years.
Great. The Petrol engine needs to be worked to get some performance from it. But i've heard it can pull around at low speeds in higher gears. I sort of liked the sporty throat it has got especially when revved. For the kind of use you have mentioned i think its the best buy right now. The diesel would however give you an added advantage of a choice to run more. Its actually a tough choice. Go for the diesel if you think you can do more than 1K a month and if budget permits. For 500km its an overkill to invest in the diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
We keep troubling you with requests for more pictures, and I will do the same .
Will do it ASAP. Actually thats something that was in my mind. The fusion is with my parents at our native place and will get the pictures when i visit them next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Quick question, How's it fairing against the older Ford that you have?
Here is what i think about The Figo-Fusion Twins:

Space: Do i really have to say this? The fusion has got some of the best interior space for its category. No comparison in that area. In fact, its only after you spend some time with the fusion do you realise that it really cruel to call it a hatch back. I think Figo, though has good space, does not even qualify to be compared with the Fusion.

Ride and handling: The fusion has a performance oriented suspension setup. It takes high speed turns with real ease. The ride though is real harsh especially on bad roads. The Figo has a more balanced suspension setup i would say. Its not bad in the high speed handling department and though it has that ford-ish tightness to the suspension its no where close to "disturbing" on bad roads. I am a ride comfort freak and thus love the figo better

Seats: I always felt the front seats of the fusion was a bit small in size. The rear seats too some how felt inferior when it comes to comfort. Th figo seats seems to be doing a better job here. You sit slightly higher in the fusion. However with the figo's windscreen placed quite low, the feeling is almost the same. You wont really feel you are sitting low in the Figo. I'd say the Figo fares a little better here.

Fit and Finish: Well our fusion is 4 years old not. No rattles till date. The Figo is just a few weeks old and i somehow have a feel that it might rattle a a later stage but that might be because i am paranoid about driving the first Diesel engine on the life. I would not rally want to comment on this right now. Maybe i need to give it some more time before i can really say. About the finish i would choose the fusion just because of certain unfinished welding spots on the Figo (refer earlier posts for pictures)

Engine and Performance: Here again our fusion is 1.6 petrol and the figo a 1.4 diesel. Both are one of the best engines available in india and it would not be fair to compare the diesel and the petrol. The Diesel does not have the turbo lag like the national engine from FIAT, but is much more noisier especially at idle. Its real good to drive around till it crosses 3 digit speeds (which it does with ease) but as you go higher it tends to loose breath and become harsher. The best would be to cruise at 2.5K rpm and 100km/hr, which it does with ease and which i think is more than enough on roads here in Kerela. On Express ways though you might have a different opinion. The petrol 2.6 is just the opposite. It loves to be revved. And you would love to rev it too. Though not as much as the discontinued FIAT 1.6 which wins for its "growl" at higher rpms.

Sound Insulation: This is one thing where the fusion fails terribly. A lot of the engine and road noise filters into the cabin and could be quite disturbing at high speeds. In the figo this part has been taken care to a certain extent. The diesel engine clatter filters into the cabin though. I pick the Figo as a better one in this department.

Pic updates are on its way.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your updates, the pictures are great. The music player feature is a thoughtful thing.

The rationale behind the request is that the Fusion and the Figo have similar lengths, .
Fusion length is nearly 4 meters. Figo 3.8 Meters
Old 29th March 2010, 10:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my request:

b. If possible, some interior shots of the Fusion with the same seat configuration as the ones you took with the Figo.
+1, have similar request. Salesman at ford showroom didn't allow me to take pictures, wanted to compare photos from fusion of a colleague.

Quote:

Here is what i think about The Figo-Fusion Twins:

Pic updates are on its way.
Thanks for detailed comparison. Here's what I would like to add.
Please post pictures at 800x600 resolution so that respective photos (Fusion & Figo) can be posted side-by-side for a better comparison. Hope that you will click photos at similar seat positions posted earlier for figo.
Please add photos of boot area as well.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:43   #133
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the comparo with the Fusion, my parents have a Fusion 1.6 and they seem to be satisfied customers (though they do have complains against the dealer).
Old 29th March 2010, 11:21   #134
BHPian

Thanks Gemi, for the detailed and prompt comparison. After test driving the Figo Petrol and Diesel 3 times from 2 places just for traffic and road variations, I felt the same.

Did you get any loyalty bonus from Ford for the Fusion?

I am trying to get some goodies included with the Titanium, will sit with Metro ford and see what they can do.

Highway drives with the Figo are unlikely, specially when we are already used to packing the whole house, spoilt by the Fusion. It will remain on Highway duty and occasional city travel (70% of 48k done on highways), and will wait for a worthy replacement to come. Skoda Yeti (or similar) is one such vehicle on radar but later.

Had almost bought the Punto last year, really liked the looks, but then backed out due to budget crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Thanks for detailed comparison. Here's what I would like to add.
Please post pictures at 800x600 resolution so that respective photos (Fusion & Figo) can be posted side-by-side for a better comparison. Hope that you will click photos at similar seat positions posted earlier for figo.
Please add photos of boot area as well.
I doubt if photos can do the comparison well. Even with both parked next to each other, it just feels that the Figo is 10% smaller in all dimensions internally. At the same time the leg space and packaging inside remains almost identical barring the width of the car.

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 29th March 2010 at 11:28. Reason: Reply to another immediate post
Old 29th March 2010, 20:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Some More Pic Updates

Here are some more pic updates

1. another perspective of the front (but its the punto that looks sexy from this angle )

2. the cool looking headlights. Notice how the divide between the headlights and the repeaters is followed from the front grill. Something similar to the rear reverse lights that is a continuation of the rear glass area. Good thinking.

3. nice touch around side repeaters (Exi gets black while top end versions get chrome). Another proof that ford's focus was not just to cut costs.

4. Another way of seeing the front.

5. And the side view showing how the rear wheels cry out for atleast 195's.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03780.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03785.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03794.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03784.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03796.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks