Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:16   #1
BHPian

5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)

Rewinding all the way back to 2004, The Hyundai Getz was just about launched back then and my dad decided to buy it for my sister(who was driving a santro at the time) who was working by then( I was in my tenth standard back then, I didn’t know how to drive)
14th of December, 2004,
The little beauty came home for the first time. I remember it like it was yesterday practically. It was the top of the line model (GLS) with the ABS, rear spoiler and all the other gizmos. And the most beautiful part about it. A CD player! At the time, my family (read DAD) wasn’t a big fan of ICE so we’d have to live with a cassette player with factory fitted speakers that came in the earlier cars. But I think this was the first car that we had with a CD player(as mp3’s were just about getting hot in the market) It was a sony xplod system with 2 factory fitted speakers, both me and my sister were thrilled to bits because back then we had an OHC(which my mom still uses now, which still has a cassette player) and as esteem(he upgraded to a Skoda Octavia a couple of years ago) and I still remember I had my boards in march, and I used to take the “new car with the CD player” to school at least during my exams because my parents wouldn’t come to the centre(it adds extra pressure for no reason) so when all the other parents used to ask my friends how their exams went, I’d blast the music player with good volume because the driver would be driving and have a joy ride home!

First ticket!

I had just turned 15 back then and after my boards, My sister and me decided to join tennis classes in the morning(6am!) and usually I’d never get up, but then again, opportunity to go in the new car primarily because my sister worked almost 12 hours a day and I hardly ever got to sit in it) and this tennis centre was in palace grounds(for non bangaloreans-an empty field) and I quietly asked my sister to teach me how to drive,(knowing that my dad strongly disapproves under age driving) but she relented, and that was my first experience with the beauty(I had tried her santro ONCE, but that was it!) so from the field, it slowly became from home to the tennis place(because it was 6am in the morning) Didn’t’ have the courage to drive on the way back. So from then it became parking in our house(mind you my dad still didn’t know I was behind the wheel) but then the inevitable finally happened. I was removing the car from the building(trust me when I say this, with the sole intention to park on the road so that my sister could continue driving from then on). Like a stud with full confidence, when I was about to turn onto the main road, made the most basic learner’s mistake, dint look left and just took the right, and as luck would have it, a HOYSALA jeep was coming in from the left, When I saw that, pressed the brake and clutch together in panic(wasn’t at a speed of about 5kmph mind you!) but LUCKILY I didn’t hit. But when the constable driving the jeep saw that I’m underage. The inspector got down, took advantage of the fact that me and my sister were helpless. He put a fine of 900bucks!!! And we both dint have cash, neighbor saw the commotion and helped us out, sister first offered to pay from her pocket by not telling dad, but then the security called up home saying I got caught, and then the best part was my sister got more screwed than I did for giving me the car in the first place LOL! But then since then I wasn’t allowed to drive on the road! But my dad/sister both let me park inside the garage (It’s a little painful because it’s in a corner and requires a little effort, but once you learn how to park there, parking in any mall or street is a child’s play, and they’ve been doing it for quite a while, they wouldn’t like to do it, and since I was getting to park, I’d just jump at any opportunity to get to park)

12th march, 2007.
My sister got married that day and she moved to the US. So now there were 4 cars at home with 3 people and one driver (my mom doesn’t drive) and I was too young to drive.Esteem, OHC, Civic and the Getz. The getz had about 22000kms on the odo, (yeah I know the mileage is a little less, but my sister’s work place was like 3kms away from home) so between march and November of 2007, the car travelled about 10k approximately with my whole family using it.
21st November 2007.
I turned 18!(finally, I’d been waiting for this day since the time I got my first ticket)
Had started taking classes even before I turned 18, Due to some issues with the driving school and RTO, I got my Driving license only by Jan. And then the rest as they say was history. Now the actual ownership review begins because till now the car wasn’t in my hands, Since then it has been and I believe ive done a decent job of taking care of it.
I learnt in a non power steering m800 at the driving school and then I drove the Getz and This my friends made me realize the value of the this beauty, Had I learnt on a power steering santro, I’d never realize the value of this beauty!) Immediately after I got the car. It required its first ICE upgrade, the sony explod stereo was begging to be replaced for about a year(it started acting funny just about when my sister was about to get married), but since I wasn’t driving and my parents never listen to the radio, I couldn’t convince them to upgrade. But now since I was driving (it’s a 12km journey one way, and it takes a good 45min on the way back from college) My dad had gone to visit my sister in the US and she sent me a “belated birthday gift” a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP. Basic pioneer HU with aux in and it looked lovely in the packaging. (I still have the box) and I enquired around a lot for which speakers to go in for and since I didn’t know about team-BHP then, knew a friend who’s dad had a shop on JC road and he recommended me a good place for car audio and that’s been my one stop shop for all my car needs since then. Got a pair of GTO937 jbl speakers for the back, and pioneer speakers in the front, Was very happy with the set up. And I’m still using the same set up(with a bit of an upgrade which I will tell you guys later)
First accident
It was my mistake, I was at a speed of 50-60kmph, there was a speed breaker, it was like 8am in the morning, this auto’s brake light wasn’t working, and by the time I realized what happened, jammed on the brakes, and still managed to touch his backside. Nothing much happened to the car or the auto, my number plate broke and he looked for a dent and couldn’t find one, I apologized using all my broken kannada skills and gave him 50bucks and went away, learnt that when you talk decently to people, they are calm, when you try and fight, that’s when they get provoked.
I drove the whole of 2007-2009 decently, no accidents as such, wasn’t too regular with the service, first time it went for service after a whole year, and then twice within about 4000kms(got conned with the “Hyundai free service camp”
The madness
Then about six months back or so, the madness got to me. When I was on my way back from college through JC road, I had changed my wipers to bosch recently and I’m guessing it wasn’t the right size and it was just drizzling and the wiper just popped out of its groove and it fell on the road, to my luck, my car accessories shop was like 1km down the road so I decided to get a proper size this time around, and I was just speaking to the owner of the place by now I’d gotten pretty familiar with him and I happened to find a second hand conical k&n filter with him. He had that and extreme performance with him. I told him ill get someone to check it out and pick it up in a day or two. Got my cousin to check it out(he’s a lot more car crazy than I am, he’s the speed freak, I’m the mileage freak). Once he approved the piece, I picked up the conical filter for 1.8k including fitting, the Getz didn’t require the intake pipe. It turned out to be a direct fit. And driving after that was complete bliss. The growl, the pickup. Loved the car totally!!
The car had its fair share of scratches which is unavoidable due to the traffic, won’t blame anyone in particular, it’s just traffic on the whole
November 2009, was on my way back from college through JC road, was at a red signal, and when I started moving, a genius cart puller appears from nowhere and tries to cross the road. End result a HUGE scratch right across the body of my car!! I was so upset. I finally pestered my dad to get it fixed, the thing was, I’d never had a big dent or anything, it was just small scratches all around that needed almost the entire car to be repainted, but after this scratch I was determined to get it done. So after my birthday in November and the car’s birthday which was on dec 14th, The car finally went for a makeover around the 1st of December, 2009 and it was back by the 10th and that’s when I fell in love all over again and I named her snow white. But alas I ended up denting it around a month ago when I banged it against a pillar in my garage, (there’s no way I can get that fixed anytime soon) but that’s little before Team-BHP happened.
After team-BHP, and a wanting to be a practical electrical engineer
1)I changed the cabin light to LED’s(DIY)
2)I bought the waterproof blue LED strip and soldered it instead of the parking light(blew a fuse in the process but then how else would I learn right?)
3) And even though my dad is dead against sunfilm I finally managed to convince him because Bangalore has become genuinely hot! And I don’t use the AC in my car(I’m a student and little stingy about my mileage) So got 3M on all the sides and Garware in front, noticeable difference!
ICE upgrade from my pocket
I put polk audio speakers db521 in the front, pioneer tweeters and the pioneer in the back door(which were in front previously) so I had 6speakers and 2 tweeters and I never required to take the volume above 30 on CD or aux
NOW THE LATEST ICE UPGRADE as of 2weeks ago!
My cousin moved to the US and he had a Honda city which my uncle is ready to sell, and he had a set up of a Sony Amp and JBL bass tube. And assuming they’d get about 3000-5000 more because of that, I thought it made sense that they passed it onto me because as long as they keep the car, they’re going to listen only to the radio and they wouldn’t justify it and voila. That has turned out to be my latest upgrade!! It made somewhat of a hissing noise a couple of days ago which I got fixed now. It turned out to be a grounding problem. So now I don’t need to raise the volume above 20 and I’m super happy with the setup!
The car’s odo reads about 496xxkms at the moment and its due for a service soon, and since the free camp is going on, I’m thinking about sending it for service sometime this week. I’ve given my filter to get it cleaned from the accessories guy itself Things that need attention would be, Wiper liquid isn’t working. Planning to get it changed to synthetic oil. And the left side window is a little out of place due to which the sun film isn’t placed right. Would appreciate any other things I should take care of
Overall Pros and Cons about the car
Pros
Amazing Mileage: 11.5 without AC in the city with nitrogen in the tyres(which still have about 5k kms life left in them)(it increased from 10ish before the filter)
Awesome to drive,
Very smooth
Solid build
Cons:
Can’t think of absolutely anything at all
Love the car to bits and have absolutely no plans to upgrade anytime soon! but modifications Long live Team-BHP
raghav.carfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai Getz is a beautiful car that never really took off for them. I guess it was a case of the car being too expensive for what it offered. It was probably the most spacious Quality hatch one could buy when launched. Many & several magazine reviews complained of the staid dash board plastics but I don't know if they were nit picking a bit too much. I also found the interiors very quiet. As with all Hyundai's the Getz was later offered with several variants in the form of engine options and safety systems. The best one being the Common Rail Diesel thats a missle in a straight line.

Your fuel efficiency seems quite low. You need to look at this.

I suggest cleaning the K&N filter yourself if you are up to it. The kit costs Rs. 900 and will last for about 3 - 4 Re Charges/Cleaning. Instruction are available in the Cleaning Kit. You will have to keep a good 12 hours for this process which means you can't use the car once its removed as the filter needs to dry after you run it under a cold water tap. Its only once its dries can you apply the Filter Charger fluid which is basically an Oil.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written! Can see how much you cherish your drive from the way you have written! Any plans for the other end of Cold Air Intake - The Free Flow Exhaust?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The best one being the Common Rail Diesel thats a missle in a straight line.
I have the rocket, yippie! And after a few upgrades, it is not only a missile in straights, it can navigate too - needs a lot of getting used to the car though!
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
it is not only a missile in straights, it can navigate too - needs a lot of getting used to the car though!
Really!!!! Did you upgrade the suspension? Cause this was the only area that was suited to Grandpa Driving. The steering could have been a little more weighed too.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The Hyundai Getz is a beautiful car that never really took off for them. I guess it was a case of the car being too expensive for what it offered. It was probably the most spacious Quality hatch one could buy when launched. Many & several magazine reviews complained of the staid dash board plastics but I don't know if they were nit picking a bit too much. I also found the interiors very quiet. As with all Hyundai's the Getz was later offered with several variants in the form of engine options and safety systems. The best one being the Common Rail Diesel thats a missle in a straight line.

Your fuel efficiency seems quite low. You need to look at this.

I suggest cleaning the K&N filter yourself if you are up to it. The kit costs Rs. 900 and will last for about 3 - 4 Re Charges/Cleaning. Instruction are available in the Cleaning Kit. You will have to keep a good 12 hours for this process which means you can't use the car once its removed as the filter needs to dry after you run it under a cold water tap. Its only once its dries can you apply the Filter Charger fluid which is basically an Oil.
This is the petrol version, and the 1.3L engine and quite honestly I've never heard of anybody getting above 10 with or without ac in the city so I'm very pleased with the efficiency but any other tips to increase efficiency besides the safe driving link would be appreciated

I thought about that but then like you said it would cost me 900bucks(and I'm a little short of vitamin M at the moment, If at all I collect, I would try and use it for other applications) I'm getting it cleaned for about 300rupees , I just gave it to my accessories shop and he told me to collect it in a couple of days, Even if he charges a premium of 100bucks, i'll be assured he does a good job of it. Its approximately costing me the same, and the fact that I need to get it serviced once in about 5k kms,(which roughly takes me 6months to cover) It's cheaper on the pocket and lesser of a headache to get it done from this guy because i'm pretty sure he wouldn't con me

Yeah, I've heard a lot about the verna's crdi engine but it wasn't available back then, and just to make things clear, this is the type one getz, and not getz prime.
I'm still figuring out how to blacken my numberplates on photoshop/paint before i put up photos

Regarding the Fuel Efficiency
This is the petrol version, and the 1.3L engine and quite honestly I've never heard of anybody getting above 10 with or without ac in the city so I'm very pleased with the efficiency but any other tips to increase efficiency besides the safe driving link would be appreciated

I thought about that but then like you said it would cost me 900bucks(and I'm a little short of vitamin M at the moment,I always am! but if at all I collect, I would try and use it for other applications) I'm getting it cleaned for about 300rupees , I just gave it to my accessories shop and he told me to collect it in a couple of days, Even if he charges a premium of 100bucks, i'll be assured he does a good job of it. Its approximately costing me the same, and the fact that I need to get it serviced once in about 5k kms,(which roughly takes me 6months to cover) It's cheaper on the pocket and lesser of a headache to get it done from this guy because i'm pretty sure he wouldn't con me

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2010 at 17:12. Reason: You can use multi quote (quote +) or edit the original post within 20 mts to avoid back to back posts. Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
any other tips to increase efficiency besides the safe driving link would be appreciated
Try a slightly higher RPM during gear shifting. This is generally against the Fuel Economy Driving style but can help sometimes cause you are raising the engine speeds closer to where it develops higher amount of Torque thus aiding fuel efficiency.

Shifting at very low RPM's need not necessarily mean better fuel economy. If the engines struggling to pull away from too low an engine speed it is going to be drinking more gas.
Old 24th March 2010, 04:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really!!!! Did you upgrade the suspension? Cause this was the only area that was suited to Grandpa Driving. The steering could have been a little more weighed too.
Am with you on the steering, and you got to add the rubbery gear shift of the Diesel. And nopes, I didn't change the suspension, went in for 195/55 R15 S.Drives on alloys - the difference from stock handling while cornering needs to be experienced to believed. While not on par with a Swift or a Punto, it is very respectable after this change. But the ride is pretty hard now - every gravel hits your bottom
Old 24th March 2010, 17:04   #8
BHPian

I think my posts were posted twice. Would request the mods to do the needful to either merge or delete one of the two posts
My 50,000km service is due this week, I had a flat tire on the way back from college, changed it to the stepny for the time being, will get it fixed at the service center and planning to change to synthetic oil also this time around.
My service manager always recommends engine decarbonising and I'm guessing it will cost me 2k+ just for that, and since the engine oil is going to expensive I'm looking for other areas where I can save on, which are unnecessary. It was done at around the 35k kms service. Is it really necessary or is he just trying to make money off me?
any other things I should be on the lookout for?
Thanks in advance
And sandeepmohan, I shift anywhere between 2.5 and 3000 rpm, Is that good enough or should i raise it higher than that?

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2010 at 17:11. Reason: Please use Report post to notify mod team. Thanks
Old 29th March 2010, 00:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
planning to change to synthetic oil also this time around.
My service manager always recommends engine decarbonising and I'm guessing it will cost me 2k+ just for that, and since the engine oil is going to expensive I'm looking for other areas where I can save on, which are unnecessary. It was done at around the 35k kms service. Is it really necessary or is he just trying to make money off me?
Note that even if you are told that Synthetic oils will be good for tens of thousands of KM, it is better to change it every 7500 ~ 10000 KM. If you are prepared for the added expense go for it, else stick to mineral, and change it every 5000.

Here is a thread on decarbonizing: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-engine.html
Old 5th April 2010, 16:36   #10
BHPian

Finally some pics.
These are along time ago, I will update newer pics with the sunfilm and the other modifications that I've done a little later on
Let me know what you guys think
Attached Thumbnails
5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-whitened-plate1.jpg  

5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-02032008191.jpg  

5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-04112007150.jpg  

5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-26012008175.jpg  

Old 19th April 2010, 21:06   #11
BHPian

Small update:
Gave it for service at Bosch Car service, Got the engine oil changed, couldn't convince dad to change to synthetic, just the routine checkup
some newer pics
got headers installed sometime back,(just headers, not entire FFE) Havn't got pics yet, will do so soon
Got wheel alignment and balancing done, but there is still some amount of vibrations, the odo clocked in 50,000kms so I'm guessing it's time for a tyre change round the corner. Exams going on, will look into it at the end of the week
Attached Thumbnails
5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-blackend-plate.jpg  

5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-image_101.jpg  

5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)-img_1693.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2011, 14:55   #12
BHPian

Re: 5 years; 50,000 kms with Snow White - Hyundai Getz GLS 1.3L (2004)

Hey Guys!
Time for an update, which is long due I believe
Car has now run 58xxxkms, Got it serviced recently,
But havn't got the brake pads changed, 5k change was the bill, Regular 60k servicing, which includes the oil changes,
Makes a squeaking noise at times upon braking, will get it checked in the near future
Removed the LED strips from the front headlights shown above
Remove the FFE headers for peace of mind,Have white parking bulbs, Narva(i THINK) 90/100 headlights now
Removed the K&N as it got too noisy
Car is scratched/dented all over the place(no accidents, just bangalore traffic and my stupidity!) Paint has chipped off at some places too
Changed the tyres at 52k and 58k(2 tyres each) to tubeless
Plans in the near future
Short of funds right now(still a student you see)
Going to get the complete car painted in stages from front to back from JC Road(heard about a guy who takes the car in the morning, gives it back in the evening)
Will change the indicator bulbs to white soon after
IND number plates
Custom mesh grill
That's the plan, lets see how long it takes to become a reality
K&N/Green conical filter depending on budget
Old 14th November 2011, 21:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I bought my GETZ GLS in Dec 2004 . I have always been getting of mileage of apprx 11 .

And since I have increase the psi to 44 and switched to synthetic oil , I am getting an even better mileage of 12+ .
Old 14th November 2011, 21:23   #14
BHPian

I am very interested in the performance of you car and the modifications you have carried out . Please share your experience with us . Thanks

Most Viewed