Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 11:57   #16
BHPian

I totally agree with all the good words for Zen. We too have a 60000 kms run 1998 model Zen which is still super smooth. The expression from friends wondering how its a 12 year old car is very common with me as well, along with most eying to buy it second hand. None of the new crop of cars from its segment come anywhere close to it in terms of driving pleasure and comfort till date. @Poloman, congrats on owing such a marvelous piece of machinery.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
We have a '99 model carb Zen and it would take a lot of persuasion for me to sell it. I remember when it was released in '93 it was the car to own. I had just got my driver's license and was on the lookout for a zen owner to befriend. When I finally did get to drive one, I was floored. That 5 km has been my most memorable drive so far. Sure, I've driven better cars, but somehow nothing quite equaled the Zen in terms of the 'kick'. Our '99 Zen is not as smooth as the earlier models, but great fun nonetheless.

Even our Zen has a lousy city FE. Wonder why. Highway mileage is great though.
Love em zens! the engines are characteristically hig-rev units that perform best at higher rpms, low end torque is not great hence the poor mileage in city conditions. I have a 96 model zen (st germain red), bought brand new in aug 96 done around 148 k kms and it still flies like a bat out of hell.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Zens were stolen for their engines which were then used in fishing boats
Old 24th March 2010, 12:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

I owned a Zen 1999 model. It has run for 1,40,000 kms now. My brother uses it now. It was a simple car that performed very well. It looks good even now. I always wished if they had made a bigger car of the same design.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:25   #20
BHPian

Great one poloman, Zen is definitely a great drive and hats off for maintaining it so well. The one I got in 02 had grey interiors which makes it feel cheapo, the black interiors were the best.

Do post some pics of the interiors.

What were the major services that it has undergone till now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
only problem with zen is bad AC and drop in pick up with A/C.
Absolutely agree, zen jus feels like loaded with 1ton box on its back when the AC is put on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Zens were stolen for their engines which were then used in fishing boats
I thought it used to only RX engines were stole for this
Old 24th March 2010, 15:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow Poloman!!

She looks awesome. Doesnt look her age at all.

We have a Zen at home too and the car is really a great one.
Zero Engine Noise aptly describes her!!

Great going.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

The service of the car is pretty simple. Fluid changes every 10K. All other issues repaired as and when it comes. All at local garages. Maintaining such old cars is tricky. Garage guys will try to short change you by giving a long list of repair and replacements. You should know that these are delicate darlings. Simple things like pressure wash can result in short circuits, contact problems etc. So better to visit the garage as and when required. But trust me the primary issues have been bare minimal but secondary issues like above mentioned used to linger for some days after the visit.
The major issue the car is facing is rust attack on the chassis. Unfortunately this makes severe risk to the structural worthiness of the car. No amount of patch ups and welding will solve this issue. This is the main reason why I have decided to give her a break.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:52   #23
BHPian

@poloman,
reading your review urges me to write a tribute to mine as well. has been a part of the family since I was 10 years old. I learnt driving in this car, recently painted it. done close to 130k kms. yes I too have reached 140kmph.

It gives great pleasure in both sedate as well as spirited driving. Its a piece to stay on forever.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

What was the odo reading when you bought the car? At first upon reading the thread title, I was under the impression you had driven her for all those 150 k KM!
Old 6th July 2010, 17:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What was the odo reading when you bought the car? At first upon reading the thread title, I was under the impression you had driven her for all those 150 k KM!
Gansan, he got it when the ODO was 50,XXX. He has drivem it for another 100K which itself talks a lot about the stability of the vehicle. Pitty that, I never had the chance to drive this car! may be I will try to get my hands on the old zen some day
Old 6th July 2010, 17:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Gansan, he got it when the ODO was 50,XXX. He has drivem it for another 100K which itself talks a lot about the stability of the vehicle. Pitty that, I never had the chance to drive this car! may be I will try to get my hands on the old zen some day
Oh, how did I miss that! 100 k KM is a lot of driving.

My friend has a similar Zen - 1995 model if I remember right. Bought second hand, and still has just 38000 KM on the odo. Refuses to sell even if I put a gun to his head! Also has a 1987 model first hand RX 100 - less than 40k KM on the odo again, mint condition, similar story!
Old 6th July 2010, 17:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
@MutantX
May be you could try driving mine on the next tbhp chennai meet.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

My 2005 Wagon R has about 110000 on the Odo, by god's grace it is still running as my every day car, I doubt I would ever have the heart to give it away.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:57   #29
BHPian

I have a 95 Zen which has run almost a Lakh Kms(96569 to be precise) Its a bit old now but still a hoot to drive and overtake. Though my FE has gone for a complete toss the max I get in the city with AC 100% is 7-8Km/ltr. Does any one have an idea what are the engine specs for the 95 Zen, the Bhp/torque, the no. of cylinders and stuff?
Old 28th August 2010, 11:49   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Does any one have an idea what are the engine specs for the 95 Zen, the Bhp/torque, the no. of cylinders and stuff?
I had a red '95 Zen too. Carburetter version = 4 cylinders, 50 BHP and 71 NM of torque on tap.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks