Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Freesia (Ford Ikon) - My Ford Babe

Pre-amble:-
I dont take her out everyday but I still talk to her every day. I love the way she looks at me when I talk to her is amazing. She becomes wild when she is Hot. She is black. She is my lifeline and she is Freesia. Freesia is just 2 year 4 month old. Her father is Ford . Enough, I am talking about my Ford Ikon Flair.
I bought this car on 4th June 2009 from my friend. I can still remember the day I drove teh car from his apartment, he was so emotional. More than emotional than leaving the motherland (He was travelling to US for a long term). He left his car.
Our History:-
I got married in 2008 end and wanted to buy a car. All these days never bothered about the need of my own car as my bro has a car and it is being used as a famly car. Post marriage things change mate. So get one for yourself. And being 6'2 all small cars are a No No. Wifey doesnt like Hatchbacks. Search started, I dont know I always loved the Ikon. Ask wifey, she just loves it (in the budget we have). Then comes the TCDI and I am almost ready to buy that. Sudden jolt from company for an assignment to UK. Came back after 4 months. Then decided that I will not buy a new vehicle, In IT you cant guarentee where you will be in the next 6 months. Wifey was NO NO for second hand but convinced her. Searched for almost 4 months not getting anything. Preferences are less run and Black color. Now we decided that we will not look for the Black color. TBHP helped me to gain knowledge about cars so I practised all the techniques for judging a right car. Then comes a call from Lathangi Ford, saying there is an Ikon for sale and I can have a look. He took me to my friends place. I was shocked to know that my colleague in my ex-company is selling his car. I knew his car, he bought it in Dec 2007. Had no doubts, paid him money upfront so that he can pull the car out of loan and after 3 days took the car from him. The car is so well maintained, even I feel I dont maintain her that good. Not even a scratch on the body or dirt/marks inside. Forgot to mention she was 7513 Kms young when I took her home.
Initial Hiccup:-
First day - went did puja - all is well.
Day 2 - went to Whitefield for a drive as Mom wanted to see Saibaba Ashram. while returning car just stopped and wouldnt start. All dreams shattered. Wifey started - I told you not to buy a second hand blah blah blah. I felt so bad on that day and cursing mself. But still felt that these are common for a mechanical engine. I somehow answered myself. Call Lathangi they said it will take 2 hours to reach. So waiting. In between some road side mechanic came and asked the problem. I told him that the car jerked and stopped. he pushed the car and the car started. Bingo, I slowly reached my place with jerking and parked the car. Informed Lathangi guys and I told them to come and have a look next morning.
Day 3 : - lathangi roadside assistance guys come and they have a look says the battery died because it is not charging. At show room it was determined to be alternator problem and has been replaced. 7500/- Gone. They charged the battery and all is well from then onwards.
Present:-
Since then (touch wood) I never had any issues. Done couple of trips to Mysore, Ooty, Tirupati etc. Now it is 19000 Kms young and still moves like butter.

Below are some pictures of Freesia
Freesia (Ford Ikon) - My Ford Babe-i14049.jpg

Freesia (Ford Ikon) - My Ford Babe-i14051.jpg

Now I am ready to go to Vizag on 2nd April by Car. First time long drive in Freesia, wil break in Vijayawada at in-laws place. Any long drive tips will help. Will post the travelogue. Wish me luck mates.

Last edited by Fordy : 26th March 2010 at 14:44. Reason: Bold
Old 26th March 2010, 14:55   #2
BHPian

Fordy thats a great buy. The car is neatly maintianed. How is the condition of the tyres, fromthe pictures the front thread seems to be worn down. It may be just the picture which si giving me the illusion.

Dont worry about the initial hiccups, Ikon is a pretty decent vehicle with low manitnence. The part cost is on the higher side though since this is from Ford. Do you mind specifying if this is a SXI or Zxi series?
Old 26th March 2010, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fordy, you really confused me bigtime. Reading the thread title I thought Ford India has launched a new car called "freesia". Ikon is a proved car for indian roads no doubt. Looks like you are accompanied by an oil tanker wherever you go ! Is the engine changed into F1 series, which gives only couple of kms for a litre ?

All the best, enjoy your ride !
Old 26th March 2010, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Thanks Elantra. The tyres are really good. My photography skills are really bad. May be thats why it looks like that. All tyres look brand new when I took. No hard braking. had a puncture on the way to Ooty once some 4 months back, replaced the tube.

Its a Flair 1.3 - No SXI ZXI stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Fordy, you really confused me bigtime. Reading the thread title I thought Ford India has launched a new car called "freesia". Ikon is a proved car for indian roads no doubt. Looks like you are accompanied by an oil tanker wherever you go ! Is the engine changed into F1 series, which gives only couple of kms for a litre ?

Hahaha. Nope mate its just the name of my car. Those were the pictures taken when I went to Hoganekal. Freesia is also mera jaisa Khathay Pithay Khandhaan ki hai , gives me 10 kms in city & 14 on the Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Hahaha. Nope mate its just the name of my car. Those were the pictures taken when I went to Hoganekal. Freesia is also mera jaisa Khathay Pithay Khandhaan ki hai , gives me 10 kms in city & 14 on the Highway.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th April 2010 at 09:30. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 26th March 2010, 15:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

beautiful black ikon

take care and wish you 190K kms with her
Old 26th March 2010, 15:28   #6
BHPian

Hi Fordy, congrats on the purchase. 8K on the odo is pretty young and that meets your criteria of 2nd hand buy and is close to your wife's preference over a new one. Since you bought it from your own friend, it is even more safe buy. I like the face of old Ikon with that chrome grill. The Ikon looks will grow on you. I too faced that jerking problem with my Ikon and it was rectified within a day at service station.I dont remember what exactly was the reason. If you service the car regularly and drive sedately you will have a trouble free ownsership.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:33   #7
BHPian

Congrats Fordy for the Freesia. I think some cartoon series used this name, cant remember it now. Your ride certainly looks in pristine condition. Mind sharing some interior snaps as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Freesia is also mera jaisa Khathay Pithay Khandhaan ki hai , gives me 10 kms in city & 14 on the Highway.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats Fordy for the Freesia. I think some cartoon series used this name, cant remember it now. Your ride certainly looks in pristine condition. Mind sharing some interior snaps as well.

Thanks. Indeed it is. I will knock them up in a day or two.
Old 29th March 2010, 17:46   #9
BHPian

Guys, need your help on this. I have observed that whenever I cold start my engine, I hear a screeching noise for 30 seconds and its gone. This doesnt happen on warm starts. Only when the engine is cold. ANything to worry as I have almost 2,000 kms trip ahead?

Will also put up this question with Ben
Old 1st April 2010, 14:45   #10
BHPian

I went to Lathangi on Wednesday. Crazy things happened there. I went in the morning after spending 90 min in the traffic. It took 45 min for them to have a look at me. After this one bloke came (now a days you dont find the old guys all new faces) I explained him the problem. Mentioned only on cold start - Bingo - Our Ford guys always have answers to any problems engine belt sir - replace maada beku (need to replace), and gave me an estimate and job card was prepared. I asked him what do you think about the belt life - Our very intelligent guys believe that it is every 20 K kms - man when will these guys learn? I explained him in detail that my car is just over 2 years and 19 k kms. and told him that there shouldnt be any problem, if the belt needs to be changed every 20 K kms - then the engine should be changed every 100 K kms. Still they believe that I should change it. I had an argument with the so called SME there and finally convinced him to take the belt out and see. I even threatened that I will complain to Ford as no troubleshooting is being doen, straight away replace fund. They removed it and we saw some dust particles inside it. Cleaned it with the wire brush - fix it back. Viola - everything is smooth & fine. Checked it in the night also today morning no screeching noise.

After all this - they didnt ask me to pay anything. Thats the end. Tomorrow driving to Vijayawada. Will update you all guys on the trip.

Kms done till now ~19200
Old 12th April 2010, 19:49   #11
BHPian

Guys reached safe & sound. Had an amazing drive. Loved it. Will post the details tomorrow (Too many mails to catch up)
Old 18th May 2010, 12:45   #12
BHPian

Hey Fordy,
I own a 1.8D and had that trouble.
Solution :: A little lubrication to the motors and the pulley system which is visible in a diesel engine. I'm not sure on your ROCAM though, haven't seen the ROCAM engine bay. ANyway good to know teh ford guys cleared up the dust in the belts.
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
...They removed it and we saw some dust particles inside it. Cleaned it with the wire brush...
Tomorrow driving to Vijayawada. Will update you all guys on the trip.
Fordy,

For the first time in 6 years, yesterday exactly the same thing happened to me. My wife had borrowed the car in the afternoon and in the evening we were going out and "screech"...it stopped after I blipped the throttle a couple of times. (Now I agree with you, wives should buy their own cars!)

Any update on your experience? Did the cleaning sort it out for good? Please let me know.

And, lovely car! Keeping it clean must be tough with all the dust in Bangalore.

How was your trip to Vijayawada?

Cheers!
Damu
Old 28th June 2010, 21:16   #14
BHPian

oops Sorry Damu for the late reply.

YES, the problem is solved after that.

Vijayawada Trip was awesome. No problems what so ever, It took huge load without any complaints.

Maintaning Black car in Bangalore is a Curse especially when it is raining.

How is your car doing?
Old 29th June 2010, 12:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post

Freisa was the most powerful character in DragonBallZ until Goku became a Super-Sayian!!

Sorry, couldn't help going off-topic, that was one cartoon series I admired. I have the entire collection with me and watched it more than twice. At 21, I am still as crazy as I was when it first debuted in Cartoon Network in 2002.

At original poster, nice name you given to the car.

Happy mile crunching

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks