Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 20:16   #1
BHPian

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km

Finally, here is my Outlander experience.

Story dates back to Circa September 2008, Outlander was launched and I received an exclusive invite to preview. It was officially love at first sight. Since then, I did at least 5 test drives, Excel motors always obliged without a question. I even got her for a weekend to try her softroading side.

Now lets fast forward to February 26th 2010, a lousy morning, I had to take my wife's 5 months old Cedia for its second service to Excel. While the service was being carried out, I went to their showroom so that I may see the "New" Outlander in person. There I got an opportunity to compare both models' looks and I definitely liked the old look.

My buying experience:

Met Sandeep (Mitsu's northern region sales head). He told me that the silver SUV on display is Jan 2010 and is the last pre-facelift to roll out of Chennai factory.

I was pretty sure that in spite of less features (non essential IMHO like USB/Aux, moving indicator to ORVMs etc) I has hooked on the old look compared to new look which is a little botched and car like. I will rather buy Evo-X than to buy SUV looking like Evo-X. Well this is my personal thought, don’t flame me for this.

I asked Sandeep to work out a deal and in one hour, I decided to buy car. Now 26th Feb was the last auspicious day when I could have bought a new car or else I would have to wait for 1 month. This being my 3rd Mitsubishi purchase from Excel, they did not blink eye before sending the car for PDI even though I had not paid a single penny!

Finally, we agreed on a exchange price for my Lancer and I drove my Outtie home and Lancer was promptly handed to the accompanying driver from Excel.

It was a long hard wait for me since than. I only took out vehicle to go to nearest temple for an express pooja. Though dealer asked me not to worry and drive vehicle on trade certificate as an extended test drive but I had my own principles and decided to wait till the payment was realized and I had the tax receipt in my hand. It took quite a number of days before my company could process payment for car (I bought car on company lease).

Finally 13th March was the day when I drove car back to dealership for some accessories installation, “real PDI” and final handover

Vkool premium film was installed (VK70 front and light gold with 96%IR rejection on all other windows including rear windshield). Next stop was tire change to Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

Finally my SUV was ready to rock n roll. I never knew I had this kind of patience. I controlled myself for good 2 weeks before driving my new Outlander.

On my buying experience I will give Excel motors a 5 star.

Story so far…

Let me start with exteriors, I love every bit of it. Fine flowing lines perfectly merging in to sculpted rear. Rear windows with no quarter glass is a welcome feature, it gives much visibility to second row passengers. Strong yet gentleman like side skirting is really beautiful. Muscular arches on front and rear fenders give it a very mature SUV character. The headlamps and grills are very well mated to give a bold yet suave look.

I love self folding ORVMs and keyless operations. The fact that I never ever have to take out key fob out of my pocket is really cool feature. Heater ORVMs and headlamp washers are very desirable for softroading.
Inside, 8 way electronically adjustable seat is a bliss. All windows have anti pinch feature. All windows have express down and up feature. Coolest thing is, even if you have locked window operations using driver side locking options, you can still operate all windows from driver switches.

Meaty Bolstered premium leather seats are a bliss to get soaked in. Driving position is very commanding. MID (Multi Information display) has most of the driving stats and info you need. Ample amount of glove compartments, cup and bottle holders, though I miss good positioning of my Lancer’s sunglass holder. I am still getting use to of new sunglass holder position.

Only accessory that I have added apart from sun film is TPMS (Tire pressure management system). It comprise of RF sensors placed in each tire and a wireless display which I have placed just above rear view mirror. Really good feature, I highly recommend this.

My favorite gadget…Premium Rockford Fosgate 9 speaker 650 watts, 6 CD changer. This is bliss, with controls on steering wheel this is the best music system I have ever heard and comparable to the factory fitted option of 11 speaker Harmon Kardon in my friend’s 750 LI. I love the DSP feature which lets you focus sound on driver. I am really loving it!

Auto climate control is very effective and user friendly. This combined with Vkool is really very effective combination.

I am yet to try heated seats though in Delhi summers.

Ride and Handling:

I found the drive on default Yokohamas to be a little noisy, after changing to Michelin there is a drastic change, no noise from road is transferred to cabin. The ride is super silent. This SUV actually drives like a car, solidly planted and hugging curves like a passionate lover. I tried several high speed (with my self imposed RPM limit for first 2000 KMs) turns and there is zero body roll.

Steering is very balanced and feedback is just perfect at all speeds. Engine is super silent but CVT tranny is a little noisy till CVT fluid warms up. This engine (4B12) is a technology marvel

Quote:
Quote (wiki):
The 4B1 engine family is the first to have the continuously variable valve timing MIVEC system applied not only to its intake valves but also to its exhaust valves. The intake and exhaust cam timing is continuously independently controlled and provide four optimized engine operating modes.
:Unquote
I found the engine to be very very responsive. I was really worried about the CVT rubberband effect but I am extremely pleased now with INVECS-III. There is absolutely no jerk and the SUV takes off the moment you press accellerator. I have been able to do a 0-100 dash (this morning only, only exception to my self imposed RPM exile ) and I just loved it!

Cruise control is bliss and fuel saver. Since I live at the end of expressway and my office is located at other end, I am able to really use this feature.
Braking is extremely accurate and assuring.

The big question, FE:

I have tanked up twice and I used tank full to tank full method using same petrol pump and same dispanser. Worst FE was 8.9 KMPL in bumper-to-bumper rush hour Delhi traffic and better FE was 9.5 KMPL on expressway and traffic combined. I am yet to take it on a long drive but will keep everyone posted.

What I don’t like:

1. No auto dimming rear view mirror, I expected this on a 20+ Lac “luxury SUV”. This feature is available on north american version, I keep travelling to US so may be this is doable.

2. Auto lights and wiper. Again this is available as option in US.

3. No bluetooth system with steering mounted phone controls. Again this is offered in US so what stops Mitsubishi to offer this in India at least as an option?

4. Blank LED holders on hatch (see rear pictures, I am talking about the black part right below reverse lights). Some R&D may help here, I have spotted some solutions on Internation Outlander forums.

5. No Inbuit navigation system and ETACS like US models. Here we have to be dependent on dealer for user modifiable ETACS features.

Whats next:

I have been able to locate a dealer in Hongkong who can provide OEM music system with DVD, NAVI, Bluetooth, Rear Cam etc. it is priced around USD 750 and will fit in without any fuss and will utilize steering controls along with default Rockford Fosgate DSP/AMP. Since I have never ordered like this before, I am not sure how to go about it and how to handle customs clearance, will appreciate guidance on this.

Overall, I am very happy Mitsubishi customer, my third Mitsubishi is a testimony of the same. Everytime I grab handle of my Outlander I get a broad smile on my face. Now I am eagerly waiting for a long drive and soft roading oppurtunity.
Cheers!!
-Rishi
Attached Thumbnails
The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic1.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic2.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic3.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic4.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic5.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic6.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic7.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic8.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic9.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic10.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic11.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic12.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic13.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic14.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic15.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic16.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic17.jpg  

The Last Warrior : My Outtie - Mitsubishi Outlander EDIT: Sold after 6 years and 60,000 km-pic18.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2010 at 10:17. Reason: Removing dead image links from your post. Kindly read the announcements for instructions on uploading pictures properly.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2010, 20:27   #2
BHPian

A true blue Mitsubishi fan. The pre-facelift Outlander is indeed a handsome automobile.

PS: I am not able to view the pics. Is it only me?
Old 7th April 2010, 20:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
PS: I am not able to view the pics. Is it only me?
Nopes, I am with you on this one.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:45   #4
BHPian

There seems to be some problem with attachments. I am able to see them on my laptop but others cant. Let me edit and upload again.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:47   #5
BHPian

Where are the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Nopes, I am with you on this one.
+1. Same with me here.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! I also happen to like the pre-facelift one. Does the new facelift come with beige interior?

BTW, is the photo-shoot done in sec 93 (near ATS green)? Do you stay there?
Old 7th April 2010, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Congrats rishi_kapoor for the Mitsu. There are quite few ownership reports on the Outlander in the forum. Drooling interiors, I must say.
Wishing you lots of happy miles with it.

Last edited by Utopian : 7th April 2010 at 21:42.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:46   #8
BHPian

Congrats rishi_kapoor. Outlander is one fantastic looking SUV. I fell in love with the outlander the moment i saw it on the roads. If only it was affordable for me i would definitely have got it.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:57   #9
BHPian

Congratulations! Even i like the pre-facelift version. Awesome interiors.
Three Mitsubishi, you really are one big Mitsubishi fan!
Old 7th April 2010, 22:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on owning a great crossover SUV. Have you been using the paddle shifts or the triptronics?
I would definitely look out for a pre-owned Outlander sometime in future. Good part would be the Pre-facelift nose design

Last edited by Guna : 7th April 2010 at 22:19.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:08   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your 3rd Mitsu !! They produce lovely cars and your loyalty is a testimony to their products.

Wonderful SUV with superb looks both outside and inside. I find its road presence is better than its competition (Fortuner, Endy)

Just hoping it had a diesel option as well. I thought Mitsu would have done it once Fortuner came in, but HM-Mistu combo is just too slow.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the 3rd Mitsu! The car looks very good. I love the rear stop lamps, they are too good.

Mileage is very decent for the size of the vehicle. Do they actually have a diesel variant of this SUV/Soft roader?
Old 8th April 2010, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Congratulation..

Outlander is wonderful SUV.Mitsubishi manufactures wonderful car.

I am also really happy with the Mitsubishi products I have.

I think these photo's are of Noida Greater Noida Express way.

We were waiting for you in the last Noida Meet.

You have really given a good ownership report.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
Old 8th April 2010, 14:35   #14
BHPian

Thanks you all.

Thank you all for your kind words and good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Congratulations! I also happen to like the pre-facelift one. Does the new facelift come with beige interior?

BTW, is the photo-shoot done in sec 93 (near ATS green)? Do you stay there?
Yes, ITNerd, this is Sector-135 opposite Sec 93. My office is located in Sector-135.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Congrats on your 3rd Mitsu !! They produce lovely cars and your loyalty is a testimony to their products.

Wonderful SUV with superb looks both outside and inside. I find its road presence is better than its competition (Fortuner, Endy)

Just hoping it had a diesel option as well. I thought Mitsu would have done it once Fortuner came in, but HM-Mistu combo is just too slow.
Thanks Krish. I did read in Overdrive that they are planning a diesel version but when I contacted a senior official at Mitsu India, they denied any possibility of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the 3rd Mitsu! The car looks very good. I love the rear stop lamps, they are too good.

Mileage is very decent for the size of the vehicle. Do they actually have a diesel variant of this SUV/Soft roader?
Thanks nkrishnap. They do sell a diesel variant in Europe but I am not sure if there is any plan to bring diesel to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
Congratulation..

Outlander is wonderful SUV.Mitsubishi manufactures wonderful car.

I am also really happy with the Mitsubishi products I have.

I think these photo's are of Noida Greater Noida Express way.

We were waiting for you in the last Noida Meet.

You have really given a good ownership report.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
Thanks Anupam. The pictures were clicked on sub road next to expressway. I live in Greater Noida. Good part is that I live on one end of the expressway and my office is near other end, so I get to enjoy good road everyday.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Outlander.

You have an ideal road to drive this thing on daily basis.

About the Diesel Outlander, when i enquired to some senior offical here at Ahmedabad dealership, i was told that Mitsubishi is not planning to launch them here because it will affect the sales of Pajero.

Now i dont really know what is the relevance of the 2. one is a true off roader, another a luxury SUV. I dont really agreee on that statement but well you never know what they are thinking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks