Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 11:22   #76
BHPian

re: My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6

Reposting the last three pictures of my ladys' arrival.

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-dsc_0083-2550x1434.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-dsc_0084-2550x1434.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-dsc_0085-2150x1209.jpg

Hard to believe that she's now 43 years old. Still can put a smile on anyone's face. That's magic

Last edited by VLOCT : 20th April 2014 at 11:24.
VLOCT is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 14:03   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Hard to believe that she's now 43 years old. Still can put a smile on anyone's face. That's magic
Totally believe every single word of it, she is 10 years my senior and has the charm of a wild teenager.

M I N D B L O W I N G!

Nearly 2 years Vloct, thats a very long time you kept us waiting to get to see her again. How did you cope up with the absence, ok ok I know you have another super drool worthy Pontiac to keep you company

I am sure you must be super busy now spending time with your first love. Did you take her out for a spin - tell me... HELL Yeah! Time to take a celebratory drive around town, people making way for the gorgeous beauty, cars and supercars alike bowing down low, swooning the traffic lights and what not!

Please share some more pictures, we need some more!!!

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 01:21   #78
BHPian

Let me poke the Mama Bee ..

Was the decision I made together my buddy Chris Moore, probably among the top ten Master 911 mechanics in the country, when I decided that it's time to upgrade the 2.2L engine of my ’71 911T. I wanted the car to feel more like an ‘angry Mama Hornet’ when driven. That was 2005 and the car entered his shop shortly. The deal was that he can take his sweet time to create our joint vision. No time constraints whatsoever, also prevents catastrophic drainage of my meager bank account.

Although, I've been on this forum only since 2010, I haven't driven the car in almost 9 years. A lot of things have changed in those years. A LOT. I moved to couple of cities and collected some interesting rides in that time.

One thing we agreed right from the beginning was that we’ll preserve the original character of the car. No dumping in a 3.2L with a zillion BHP and much heavier too, as most people do and the cheaper alternative. We still wanted that buzzy, angry light car in the end. Decided against installing Air Con and also changing the 4-speed Sportomatic transmission to a regular 5 Speed manual. Although the 5-speed is more crisp and faster from a stand still, the Sporto was fine with me and pretty rare to boot. No, I am gonna keep it.

So, the car's engine has been completely upgraded. The upgrades are too exhaustive to list but, some of the significant changes are:

1. Engine capacity increased for 2.2L to 2.5L with a significantly higher compression ratio.
2. Mechanical Fuel Injection pump replaced with the 2.4S model.
3. Replaced mechanical Chain Tensioner with Hydraulic tensioners.
4. Upgraded fuel delivery system - fuel pumps etc.
5. Ignition upgraded to Electronic - no more 'contacts', all laser now. No more adjustments.
6. Crankshaft replaced with 2.7L crank.
7. Complete upgrade of the Valve heads - port, polish, valve uprades etc.
8. Upgraded Camshaft profile to match the upgraded capability.
9. Upgraded Throttle Body Assembly.
10. Sportomatic Transmission refreshed.

A Repeat First Drive or..

Will it just be a memory jog of the numerous great drives I had with the lady? Had all the upgrades changed her character too much and would I have to re-tame her? Or would it be an anticlimax since, I drive some pretty powerful modern cars now? Chris had dyno tuned it and promised me that the ride is actually more like a 'pissed of Hornet's nest’. So, when the driver called with the news of her delivery, I was excited and nervous at the same time.

The Reunion:

She: “Hey, I’m back”.
Me: “Hi”.
‘What’s with you”?
“You got some pretty good competition waiting”.
“Oh. Like what”? Was that nonchalance that I sensed? She hasn’t lost her spunk after all, it seems.
“A ‘Pontiac Solstice GXP and a ’96 ‘vette LT4! Pretty serious competition, I would say. Also had an amazing Duc 999 for six years and a Caddy CTS-V for a couple, while you were away”.
“Good, glad you kept up your skills. You’re probably going to need all of that GXP, ‘vette and whatever, and then some, to deal with me”. Ok, that was a definite smirk I spotted.
“There’s more. Couple of months ago, I picked up this”!

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5255-1550x1033.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5323-1450x967.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5302-1750x1167.jpg

That seems to have perhaps caused some hesitation. After all, Z06 is serious business and everyone in the sports car world knows it only too well.

“Let’s go”.

After 9 long years, I turned that ignition. Took three or four cranks to fire her up but, that angry spluttering exhaust crackle, unmistakable and immediately put me in a familiar place. Took her around the neighborhood for a few rounds at a reasonable pace. Everything is coming back. The fantastic unassisted steering. I wonder how many in the sports car world can match that feel. The awesome cross-drilled brakes. That trade mark faint burnt oil smell from the oil return tubes of the early 911s. Oh yeah, my lips were starting to crack a smile and I’m sure she noticed, but probably pretended not to care.

Ok. Time to take her for a real drive and headed to the main road AND SHE PROMPTLY DIED. WHAT? WHAT? Starting to go ballistic. STUPID ME, she ran out of gas. AAA promptly brought me 5 gallons. Decided that this was probably an omen thingy, what with my excitement and all, and turned back home. Tomorrow, we’ll dance or, something.

I think I can dance..

Was what I was hoping as I headed out to some nearby deserted two-lane highways, the next day. She seemed eager to get going as I was. As soon as the road opened up, I floored it. HECK YEAH. She leapt forward so fast, I grip the steering tight till I felt comfortable with her reaction times. This was not just a pissed off Hornet’s Nest, this was more like angry hornets about 2 feet from my butt and closing in. Furious is a good word. Z06 furious, no, that’s more like ‘ferocious’ but, he’s (yes male, no ifs or buts) a different beast altogether with his own story to tell soon.

She has only two modes now – restrained fast and FAST. Perfect is another good word. The new fat MOMO steering works great. The brakes phenomenal. The radio was playing ‘She’s a Natural Disaster’ by Lonnie Mack. Did I say ‘Perfect’ was a good word, a great word really. Every action occurring at a heightened level of urgency. Changing lanes, minor flick, done. Passing - flick, tap throttle, done. Lightness, power and handling. Germans perfected the combo with the early 911s, a long time ago. They didn’t need ABS, TCS and what not, just good, willing drivers.

The dance is zealous, raw and pure at well over 100 mph on a 70 mph speed limit. Oh, I can live with this. No, I need this. The engine - real angry, buzzy and screaming. An M-16 on steroids going off. The hornets seemed pissed that they are anchored and can’t go right through the car. The feedback is instantaneous, intertwined to every sinew in your body, as are the reactions to my inputs. The closing speed on the few cars on the road - deceptive, scary impressive. She smirks “See boy, there ain’t no substitutes”. I ignore her and keep up the tempo. The desert around is a blur, the sparse greenery melding to present a mirage of continuous greenery. Well past the open laughter stage, we just soak in the intensity of it all. The few curves don’t need any steering inputs, just whipped around by the camber. I need to take her up Mt. Charleston for the savory, mouthwatering twisties up there. Hey, I can dance, lady. I thought, she seemed to begrudgingly agree.

Finally turn back home, probably concerned that the fun will just keep me going and going and going. No coasting back this time, though. Blast back home, no other way to drive the lady now. Dang, every home coming is gonna be a disappointment now.

And as she never fails to point out “Have you seen me lately”?

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5460-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5461-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5468-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5470-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5466-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5482-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5484-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5488-933x1400.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5490-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5496-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5499-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5473-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5507-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5510-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5532-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5533-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5530-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5517-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5467-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5505-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5491-1400x933.jpg

My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-img_5493-933x1400.jpg

Still some stuff to be done. The interior has accumulated some grime over the years and needs real professional detailing to bring back to snuff. Need new tires too. The rear bumper needs to be repainted and it's weather stripping changed. Stuff like that. I'm glad I stripped down the paint to bare metal and had it repainted back in '96. The 18 year old paint has held up remarkably well. But then she has never seen snow/salt and not more than 5 or 6 rain showers in that time.

What a car she has turned out to be. It's magical when reality turns out to be better than your dream. Rare though. But it also changed my life completely and taught me the lesson of taking calculated risks. That lesson has since, stood me in great stead. I thank God every moment for that eventful day back in 1996, when I bought a dream with no interior, just a body, engine and tires, from someone's lawn in the winter capital of Winnipeg, Canada, of all places. That too with all of $600 in my bank account.

Take a chance on that dream of yours, it could turn out to be a lot better, rewarding and happier than you ever expected.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed the update.

Cheers and safe driving. Don't be too slow though.

Last edited by VLOCT : 26th April 2014 at 01:50.
VLOCT is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 14:22   #79
BHPian

Re: My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6

Quote:

As she passed him in a flash I thought I saw a struggling smile laced with a tinge of defeat on the drivers face.
Not for the fact that he was defeated but for the Porsche legend putting the sewing machine in the dust. Superb !!
Blue_V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 14:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant comeback from the fierce red 911 and the fact that she still can put modern cars to shame after all these years is a testimony of engineering. I also have a similar red devil who is just about pushing 30 yrs and although on a much smaller scale, but always manages to put a wide smile on my face the moment I twist the throttle. (My '84 Yahama RD 350)

Keep Revving!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-i548.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 29th April 2014 at 14:58.
Maverick5490 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 21:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Totally believe every single word of it, she is 10 years my senior and has the charm of a wild teenager.

Time to take a celebratory drive around town, people making way for the gorgeous beauty, cars and supercars alike bowing down low, swooning the traffic lights and what not!

Please share some more pictures, we need some more!!!

Trojan
She's a charmer alright. People can't help but smile when they see her.

Updated the thread with new pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Not for the fact that he was defeated but for the Porsche legend putting the sewing machine in the dust. Superb !!
Most drivers underestimate her, not realising that she weighs a pittance compared to modern cars. She doesn't need a lot of HP to be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Brilliant comeback from the fierce red 911 and the fact that she still can put modern cars to shame after all these years is a testimony of engineering. I also have a similar red devil who is just about pushing 30 yrs and although on a much smaller scale, but always manages to put a wide smile on my face the moment I twist the throttle. (My '84 Yahama RD 350)
It's awesome that you have hung on to the RD 350. I would spend the money and keep it in mint shape. I had two RD 350s back in my time. Having migrated from the Bullet world (still love them a lot), the RD was a revelation. I still laugh at my first ride on a RD where, the bike almost threw me over the handlebar. Even riders here who knows about it, have a special love for that bike.

I'm putting together a short video of a drive on the 911 to Mt. Charleston, last Sunday. The car just ate up the twisties and reminded me again of the pure joy of the early 911s. It's a fun little video and I hope everyone really enjoys it. Will put it up on the thread sometime this week.

Ironic, that all the performance/handling enhancements by the modern electronic assistance in cars have not really improved the fun quotient any. The current 911s looks like the fat uncle who's been on a steady diet of McDonalds. Safer yes, but has come at the price of sacrificing the original sports car essesnce.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 00:56   #82
Senior - BHPian

Nice Porsche.

When I took a quick glance, I was pretty sure its was a 70s/early 80s model and was intrigued when I read your writeup. Looks like you have painted all the chrome bits like the grillete & bumper with body colour
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 09:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm putting together a short video of a drive on the 911 to Mt. Charleston, last Sunday. The car just ate up the twisties and reminded me again of the pure joy of the early 911s. It's a fun little video and I hope everyone really enjoys it. Will put it up on the thread sometime this week.
Thanks mate! Sure am preserving her for time to come. Also was gonna ask you for a video of your ride, glad you are doing it!

P.S. Please retain the original sound track of the 911!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:08   #84
BHPian

Discovered this thread just now. A five star reading experience! Writing put me right in the middle of the action

Wishing you lots more joy from driving your prized possessions.
DDIS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:07   #85
BHPian

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.

You are one of few on this forum who goes the extra mile in following your passion, and in the process, surreptitiously, put your readers on the path to their extra mile too!

5 stars, mate. Keep it revving.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 22:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice Porsche.

When I took a quick glance, I was pretty sure its was a 70s/early 80s model and was intrigued when I read your writeup. Looks like you have painted all the chrome bits like the grillete & bumper with body colour
The bumpers, the whale tail and the wheel flares are not original to the 911T. Some one in the distant past had already installed them. While the chrome grilletes look great with the original bumpers, I did not like the chrome grilletes with updated body panels. Hence the body color. Hope you like them. I still wish the car had the original body panels. Of course, the current looks makes the car more meaner and unique and I do like it but, there's a lot to be said for the original look. The road holding I'm sure, is superior with the current wider stance, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Thanks mate! Sure am preserving her for time to come. Also was gonna ask you for a video of your ride, glad you are doing it!

P.S. Please retain the original sound track of the 911!
I plan to keep the 911 track except, if I think it is getting monotonous in which case, I'll have sections with some mixing with other sound track. The key sections will exclusively have the 911 sound track. Let me put it all together and see how it comes out. Haven't really had the time to spend some time on it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.

You are one of few on this forum who goes the extra mile in following your passion, and in the process, surreptitiously, put your readers on the path to their extra mile too!

5 stars, mate. Keep it revving.
Thanks a lot, Ninad. Really appreciate and value your comments. Selfishly, sharing an interest especially, having access to such a great forum, gives myself an occasional break from regular life. Life is tough and can get real routine and if I can provide some joy and occasional relief to the readers, it also gives me some satisfaction and pleasure.

Hopefully, it'll make some one who is sitting on the fence to take a leap of faith, whatever his or hers passion(s) might be. We get to live only once and accumulation of wealth can't be the only intended goal of our existence, at the same time, not putting their family security in jeopardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
Discovered this thread just now. A five star reading experience! Writing put me right in the middle of the action

Wishing you lots more joy from driving your prized possessions.
Thanks DDS. Really glad you enjoyed the story.

Last edited by VLOCT : 2nd May 2014 at 22:41.
Old 6th May 2014, 13:24   #87
Senior - BHPian

The car looks great and can't wait to see the video compilation.

BTW the 2.5L engine that you have put, is it from the Porsche stable itself from that generation?
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 02:21   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The car looks great and can't wait to see the video compilation.

BTW the 2.5L engine that you have put, is it from the Porsche stable itself from that generation?
Thanks MileC.

I'm assuming that your question is whether the I replaced the 2.2 L engine with a 2.5 L Porsche engine. No, in fact I'm pretty sure that Porsche did not make a 2.5 L factory engine in the early 70s except, maybe for racing.

However, because of the modular design of these engines, the upgrade choices are vast and complex. In my case, the engine still has the original 2.2 L shell but, the cylinder and the pistons are 2.5 L. You just replace the modular 2.2 L pistons/cylinders with a 2.5 L ones. The compression went from 8.6:1 to 10.5:1. No boring necessary. German ingenuity. The crank and the rods are from a 2.7 L engine and on and on and on. You get the picture. Each component was carefully selected to make the whole package work. If you look at the engine, it still looks like a 2.2 L engine from the outside.

I also replaced the original mechanical fuel injection pump, with a refurbished one from a 2.4 L 911S to ensure sufficient fuel delivery. This pump is even more complex than the engine, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer than 10 experts who can repair these, in the US.
Old 24th May 2014, 04:14   #89
BHPian

Although quite belated, here is the video of a recent drive to Mount Charleston near Las Vegas, that I promised to upload here. I apologize for taking so long to put it up.

The first half the video is shot through the rear window and the second half through the front windshield. It was a windy day and so there is some wind noise but, hopefully not too much to distract from enjoying the video.

Please do let me know if there is a problem with the video.

Hope you guys/gals like it.

Cheers.

Old 24th May 2014, 10:04   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I want other members and people who visit these forums realize that these cars are not out of reach for an average Joe. Hell, if I’ve managed to own them, lot of people here on this forum can if, they really want to.
I am totally in love with the Cayman for now.

Meanwhile here are some nice pics of different Porsche models in the warehouse.

Am particularly intrigued by the four door sedan version in couple of the pics (and nopes, am not talking about the Panamera)

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/porsc...eum-warehouse/

Quote:
The current 911s looks like the fat uncle who's been on a steady diet of McDonalds. Safer yes, but has come at the price of sacrificing the original sports car essesnce.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/p...id-engine-911/

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6-cayman.jpg  

Last edited by vulcanize : 24th May 2014 at 10:14. Reason: Quote and picture
vulcanize is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks