Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 18:23   #76
BHPian

This exact thing happened to my Dad's lancer years back. An M80 rammed into it. And that guy sold papads, so I could at max take a papad packet from him.

It was torn exactly the same way as the picture shows.

The Lancer showroom guys estimated Rs.25000 for replacement. I was shocked.

Then the jugaad brain took over. I went to a local mechanic and he heated the bumper and stitched them back together. I then went to SRK stickers and got two matching Mitsubishi stickers to stick on the rear bumper to cover the stitches.
Issue fixed.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:39   #77
BHPian

Oh my god! gr8guzzler, It really pains to see your black beauty injured like this. Pls. share the estimates once you get it from Ford . I too agree that the Figo hardly has any bumper and IMHO any other car like a Swift or Punto would not have had this kind of a damage because of their bulky bumpers. I have booked the Figo 1.4 D Titanium last week and the 'crash-worthiness' of Figos to minor accidents like these combined with the low FE are all prompting me to reconsider my decision to have chosen Figo over Swift VDI and Punto MJD.

Folks, what's your opinion regarding this? Gemi/gr8guzzler, what's your opinion guys? Are you guys satisfied with your respective figos or are you repenting in any way? Any advice/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:00   #78
BHPian

Dont jump the gun sathya. Same happened to my Lancer too. These are plastic parts.

I feel that the Figo is a first car for a lot of people and its just the first time jitters that manifest.

There are some problems and there are some serious problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya79 View Post
Oh my god! gr8guzzler,

Folks, what's your opinion regarding this? Gemi/gr8guzzler, what's your opinion guys? Are you guys satisfied with your respective figos or are you repenting in any way? Any advice/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya79 View Post
sathya. I dont think anyone would be "unhappy" with the car. I'll make it simple for you, i know i've said this time and again.
- The best interior space (front/back)
- At high speeds it feels just like a big car. I bet if you are blindfolded while you are put inside a Figo and then asked to drive on the highways, i bet you'll never guess its a small car. Its a close second to the Punto in terms of ride and handling.
- The engine that does not have any sort of turbo lag. I've found out that if you turn off the a/c, it drives just like a petrol. Yes. Exactly like a Petrol Engine.
- The Sheer value for money proposition that makes other cars look steeply overpriced.

On the other hand. The minor heartbreaks have been the highly inconsistent F.E figures. Its just that ford dealers promoted the 20km/l funda so much that we all thought we would get an average of around 15-16 bare minimum. In that front it has been a bit disappointing but not so much that you become unhappy with the car. Its better to drive than its major competitors.

The non existent bumper and the ground clearance combined with a long wheelbase tend to make you scary while driving. Thats true. But i'd say its just part of the nature of the car. Every car as its good and bad. You gain something here you surely have to compromise on something else.

I'd say if you are the one who gives maximum priority to A.S.S. and F.E think otherwise. If you are the one who loves driving and want a good car to drive - Just get the Figo. At that price point its the best.

You have an advantage in buying now. You have more knowledge about the character of the car. You know the Actual F.E you can expect and the other minor issues. So you wont be carried away with the dealer claims and later feel disappointed.

Last edited by gemithomas : 19th May 2010 at 09:10.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSI View Post
Cool FE !!.

My Ritz Vdi gave only 15 KMPL in my last fill with 100% city(Bangalore) drive and medium A/C.

As requested above we need some tips from you like at what rpm you shift gears or at what gear you travel in heavy traffique, etc..

Thanks,
SANSI
I drove my Figo TDCi last weekend:
Pune-Mumbai-Daman-Surat-Mumbai-Pune. Approx. 1200 kms over 3 days.

I got a decent FE of
16.5 kmpl (Pune city-Lonavala)
16.3 kmpl (Pune-Mumbai-Daman)
17.6 kmpl (Surat-Mumbai-Khopoli)

Below is how I (try) to drive my car:
0-15 kmph – 1st gear
15-40 kmph – 2nd gear
40-60 kmph – 3rd gear
60-80 kmph – 4th gear
80-120 kmph – 5th gear
I try not to let the tacho cross 3000 rpms. Also, avoid running the car without the turbo kicked in (keep your engine above 1500 rpm).
Maintain a pressure of 30 psi in all four tyres.

Sorry to hear about the accident of your Panther.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:03   #81
BHPian

Left Panther today at Bhavna Ford. The estimate would be given after the surveyor checks it out tomorrow. Approx I will have to shell out 2.5K. The rear bumper will be replaced (3K) and the bootlid will be dented and painted. The screws are supposed to be part of a bracket which holds the rear bumper.

@Sathya, this can happen to any car, I don't really think the other cars would have lesser damage due to the angle of impact (The Palio had overshot a speed breaker).

Personally, I am very satisfied with Figo and would recommend it. As Gemi mentioned, every car has it's pros and cons. But the Figo has more pros in it's favor compared to the competition.

Last edited by gr8guzzler : 19th May 2010 at 13:04.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

I think 2.5k is very reasonable! Expected a huge bill because it is Ford.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:54   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I was stationary at the Vashi toll booth today morning and a Palio comes from behind and bangs me. Guy says his clutch slipped and he over shot the speedbreaker which was just behind me. Agreed to pay for the damages, will have to go tomorrow and get an estimate. The bumper has 2 holes due to the screws coming out and the boot is also not opening.
Hello gr8guzzler, sorry to hear the incident.

Figo does have no bumpers (front/rear), as compared to 800/Santro or any other cars, many TBHPians have pointed that earlier too. In case of these kind of incidents which invariably creates an impact on the boot lid/bonnet and AC compressor becasue of filmsy or no bumper. Repairing of these would cost a unnecessary dent in owner's pocket.

PaNtHeR - My Ford Figo TDCi EXi -24K update-18052010102.jpg

This should be an eye opener to Ford India and they should rethink about this particular pitfall in the designing of the Figo.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:15   #84
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@gr8guzzler - It is very unfortunate. Luckily the cost seems to be less. Take care
@sathya - As rightly said by figo experienced owners Joe, Gemi, brix & gr8guzzler, all cars have pros and cons. I have been also in the same dilemma whether to cancel or get it. The pros are more in the VFM car and no one has complained about the driving of the car which is important. The minor issues will be an eyeopener for later buyers like us to handle with more care.
Old 19th May 2010, 20:16   #85
BHPian

@Gemi, gr8guzzler, Brix, RGK. Thanks a lot guys for your inputs and opinions. As Raju has said, 2.5/3K cost is quite reasonable and I too was expecting a huge bill. So, Ford has indeed lowered their spare costs for the Figo (or maybe its also because of the miniscule size (or 'non existence') of the bumper as compared to that of the competition). I'm not being a pessimist here and let me reiterate that I love the FIGO. No two thoughts on that. In fact, I found Figo to be a much better VFM buy than the Polo (No offences to Polo owners). All I'm concerned is to buy a car for the sheer passion/pleasure of driving and yet be reasonable to maintain. I have been waiting and researching to buy a car since almost an year now and booked the Figo after I found that it checked almost all the boxes. There is no way that I'm going it give it up after all the painstaking hours of research and TDs.

Gemi, I read a few posts in your ownership thread and in other threads that the low FE was making you think twice on your decision to have bought the Figo. Hence I wanted to confirm this with you and other Figo owners whether you would still recommend this car to newbies like me, who are eagerly looking fwd to book/take delivery of the Figo. I'm sorry if I've offended any of you in any way.

Btw, As said earlier, I'm eagerly waiting for the delivery of my sea grey 1.4 D Titanium. Will start a new ownership thread once I get my car.
Old 20th May 2010, 08:22   #86
BHPian

the damage to 'panther' makes me angry @numerous such careless incidents I have been eyewitness to.

If it has to happen, it happens, but can still be avoided by always maintaining an extra buffer space. But most drivers are overconfident.

I follow a zero error policy, even though it means that bikers and cyclists cut my way between the gaps I maintain both in front and rear. Honestly speaking, after driving an Innova for the last 2 years , driving a FIGO is quite difficult challenge for me. Because somewhere down the line I feel that others don't even consider I exist on the road and zooming towards them.

Due to the short rear overhang I feel other vehicles sticking their bumpers precariously to the rear of the figo. The bumper appears to be made out of our office vinyl arch files.

I had all but one bumper hit in the Innova, where a biker crashed behind and fell when the Traffic light turned RED. Result: a dislocated bumper (easily clicked back to form) and a few scratches. I could have avoided this very one too, had I not been egging on to beat the RED light switchover.

Bottomline: Lets pledge for sedate driving and keep worries and distractions at the work premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwiky View Post
Below is how I (try) to drive my car:
0-15 kmph – 1st gear
15-40 kmph – 2nd gear
40-60 kmph – 3rd gear
60-80 kmph – 4th gear
80-120 kmph – 5th gear
I try not to let the tacho cross 3000 rpms. Also, avoid running the car without the turbo kicked in (keep your engine above 1500 rpm).

@witwiky: Incidentally, even I follow the shiftovers u listed.

Please mention the RPM. (Mine being TDCi Lxi, does not have a Tachometer.)

0-15 kmph – 1st gear
15-40 kmph – 2nd gear
40-60 kmph – 3rd gear
60-80 kmph – 4th gear
80-120 kmph – 5th gear

I am getting some 11 kmpl with generous ~2 Hrs engine idling daily. Nothing to complain.

Last edited by btirthankar : 20th May 2010 at 08:38.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:43   #87
BHPian

@btirthankar I cannot give you an RPM reading for each gear, but the logic is simple:

You have to keep the turbo on and you have to be under 3000 rpm while driving at any time.

So, in each gear you have to be in the range of 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm, as soon as you touch about 2800 rpm, you up-shift.

Too bad, there is no tacho in LXi. I was not aware of this!
Old 20th May 2010, 14:43   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hello gr8guzzler, sorry to hear the incident.

Figo does have no bumpers (front/rear), as compared to 800/Santro or any other cars, many TBHPians have pointed that earlier too. ..................

This should be an eye opener to Ford India and they should rethink about this particular pitfall in the designing of the Figo.
The big back bumper of 800 is as useless as that of "no" bumper figo. The bonnet just drops off / flexes inward with very little force.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:42   #89
BHPian

Hi gr8guzzler, Sorry about the incidence. But don't worry as the expenses are not very much. Accident happens to all, but accidentally.

After hearing nice things about Figo I too would love to test drive a Figo once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwiky View Post
I drove my Figo TDCi last weekend:
Pune-Mumbai-Daman-Surat-Mumbai-Pune. Approx. 1200 kms over 3 days.
I got a decent FE of
16.5 kmpl (Pune city-Lonavala)
16.3 kmpl (Pune-Mumbai-Daman)
17.6 kmpl (Surat-Mumbai-Khopoli)
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. Is this figure inside city or in a highway?

Quote:
Also, avoid running the car without the turbo kicked in (keep your engine above 1500 rpm).
In my ritz the turbo gets activated only by 1800rpm. To be honest it is very difficult to maintain this rpm inside city.

I had the below question haunting me for a long time, though I didn't practice this.

"Instead of driving in 4th gear at around 1400rpm with turbo off, would it be better to drive in 3rd gear at around 2000rpm with turbo on? or Am I thinking stupid?"
Old 24th May 2010, 15:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSI View Post
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. Is this figure inside city or in a highway?

In my ritz the turbo gets activated only by 1800rpm. To be honest it is very difficult to maintain this rpm inside city.

I had the below question haunting me for a long time, though I didn't practice this.

"Instead of driving in 4th gear at around 1400rpm with turbo off, would it be better to drive in 3rd gear at around 2000rpm with turbo on? or Am I thinking stupid?"
What I have mentioned is purely through my personal experience and driving the Ford Figo. I agree driving in the city with Turbo on is a bit challenging, but I try to keep it on as much as possible and I am assuming that is the reason I get that kind of efficiency. I might be wrong.

My FE is based on following driving conditions: highway/city 60/40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks