Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:42   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

@Deepak,

Nice to know that Jetta took the rear impact and the bumper did what it's supposed to do. BTW, did you notice any impact on the rear parking sensors? Are they working as before?

Cheers!
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:34   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post

Guys, I have one major doubt. I know that from April 1 2010, 13 major cities have shifted to BS4 fuel and hence the 1 rupee premium that you pay per litre. On the same deadline, all other cities and towns should have shifted to BS3 fuel. But the deadline has been extended to September 30,2010. So when I go on trips out of Chennai I am sceptical if I can fill with BS2 fuel. Last weekend, I managed to squeeze out 800+km and return to Chennai to tank up with BS4 fuel. I didn't want to take a risk. I have to make a trip to tiruchengode near Salem next week, and I don't wanna risk running empty when I return. So what do you guys suggest, carry a 50-litre can from Chennai itself and stuff it in the boot or 10 litres of BS2 fuel will not do any harm?
I didn't see any responses to this question and am wondering if you found a solution to this problem of BS-IV/BS-III fuels? I am going on a long drive soon and am having the same concern. If you happen to fill up in the interiors, was there any visible dip in performance or impact on the engine? Apologies if it's OT, didn't find any other thread to post this question.
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:45   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Hi deepakchan! bro nice choice of car the Jetta is an amazing car.
There is a moisture protection cover placed behind your car's headlight bulb.It doesn't let the water, dust or moisture seep into your headlight.They make a hole into that to install the HID.That causes a lot of problem later and you have to change your headlights then because dust and moisture will start entering your headlight.
HID's best suit the projector lamps like in Laura and other cars.
Hi Rahul, Thanks. This is again a very valuable info that you've given. If it is this complicated, I can live with the current headlights. Until I find a solution to this moisture and heat dissipation problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Deepak why dont you go for additional lights ? or auxiliary lights ? Try Hella/Light force/roo lite. they might cost somewhere from 10k to 27 k

You can have a angle fitted from the bonnet and have the lights fitted on them.
I hate those things jutting out from the bonnet. But that's just me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
@Deepak,

Nice to know that Jetta took the rear impact and the bumper did what it's supposed to do. BTW, did you notice any impact on the rear parking sensors? Are they working as before?

Cheers!
Ya. Very good build quality from VW. Now I know why they go all out in those Polo ads about their build quality. And please, do not rub it in, this car doesn't have parking sensors even in the ComfortLine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_s View Post
I didn't see any responses to this question and am wondering if you found a solution to this problem of BS-IV/BS-III fuels? I am going on a long drive soon and am having the same concern. If you happen to fill up in the interiors, was there any visible dip in performance or impact on the engine? Apologies if it's OT, didn't find any other thread to post this question.
I haven't had a problem so far since the range on a full tank is 800 kilometers. So I reach another city where BS4 fuel is available. I have filled a full tank in IndianOil on the way to Salem from Kodaikanal once, and nothing noticeable. Even the fuel average was the same as if I had filled BS4 fuel. On arrival back in Chennai, dried the tank till almost Range showed 10 kilometers and then filled BS4 fuel. The service manager said once in a while is not at all a problem. If in doubt, use the premium fuels outside BS4 cities. They anyway conform to the norms.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey @deepak,

My Laura Tsi is 6 months old...and the rear parking sensors just stopped functioning...for no obvious reason...

So the lesser features you have, the better...

In your case, you have one less thing that can disaapoint you :-)
Old 5th September 2010, 10:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Hey @deepak,

My Laura Tsi is 6 months old...and the rear parking sensors just stopped functioning...for no obvious reason...

So the lesser features you have, the better...

In your case, you have one less thing that can disaapoint you :-)
Skoda should fix it for free - it's within warranty.

Does Jetta really need rear parking sensor ? Rear visibility is not as bad as Laura.
Old 5th September 2010, 12:35   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

rear parking sensors are a novelty - a good show-off item for the friends and relatives who have no clue that the car also has an engine.

BTW, in Laura the rear sensors are nicely integrated with the display of the music system and their accuracy is good. They help when a child or a dog is around when I need to reverse.

Rear visibility has nothing to do with rear parking sensors.
Old 5th September 2010, 12:42   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Is a relay and wiring required for installing HIDs? I wrote to Philips a while ago and this was their reply.

"Thanks for the enquiry.

For VW Jetta Head Light,
High Beam - H1 and low beam - H7 and Fog lamp - H8 or H11.

The HID kits will come as a set of bulbs and a set of ballasts and it is as simple as plug and play and they are available in all leading automotive accessory shops. Please feel free to mail me in case of any other queries."
>>>deepakchan,

Apologies, did not check your thread for the last couple of days and hence couldn't reply.

You will require relay and wiring for the HIDs.

Am attaching here a primer on HIDs that I have compiled for me to understand an HID for my Jetta.

However, I am not convinced 100% about the efficacy of the HID as an aftermarket fitment. I will consider P4 only after I considered Osram, Philips etc., primarily due to the compatibility with VW and the warranty factor.

Also, when I drove recently on a road with minimal traffic at night with stray lighting to distract my eyes, I had no problem in seeing i.the road, ii.the uneven/broken dividers, iii. the apology of a shoulder on that less than good road and iv. the oncoming traffic. The scene changed completely when there were some speeding vehicles driving with lamps at full beam. I was dazzled. I was driving at about 80-90 kmph and to be safer I slowed down to about 60 kmph to allow these 'gentlemen drivers' to pass me by.

If you require further clarifications, PM me and I'll contact one of best/reliable auto guys in Bombay.

Drive safe. Enjoy the Jetta.
Attached Files
File Type: doc HIDs.doc (2.61 MB, 1323 views)
Old 10th September 2010, 16:03   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>deepakchan,

Apologies, did not check your thread for the last couple of days and hence couldn't reply.

You will require relay and wiring for the HIDs.

Am attaching here a primer on HIDs that I have compiled for me to understand an HID for my Jetta.

However, I am not convinced 100% about the efficacy of the HID as an aftermarket fitment. I will consider P4 only after I considered Osram, Philips etc., primarily due to the compatibility with VW and the warranty factor.

If you require further clarifications, PM me and I'll contact one of best/reliable auto guys in Bombay.

Drive safe. Enjoy the Jetta.
Thank you very much for your post. I also apologize for being away for almost a week from tbhp. I shall PM you after reading up on this document and talk to a few guys here. I found a place called Technokrat which was recommended by fellow tbhpians in a section dedicated to service centers.
Old 26th October 2010, 16:33   #84
BHPian

1st Service

My Jetta has completed 14.8k kms and I left the car for first service today morning. The rear tail lamp RHS was broken a few weeks back and I wanted to replace that on paid basis. They said the tail lamp would cost 5.8k to which I agreed. I specifically asked if I have to pay anything else, that is if the oil is also covered under the free service. The service advisor said Yes. Now they call up and say my bill is 15k and they have nothing called a free service and that everything is paid. This is downright ridiculous. Fellow TBHPians who have a Jetta can you confirm if this is a case or is VW Chennai is playing the fool?
Old 26th October 2010, 16:47   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

What does your warranty document say?
The free service rules must be clearly mentioned therein.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
What does your warranty document say?
The free service rules must be clearly mentioned therein.
Don't know. The service manual is in the car. The car is in the workshop now. I am waiting for any other Jetta owner who has already completed at least a service or two to comment.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now they call up and say my bill is 15k and they have nothing called a free service and that everything is paid.
I think it's the same for all VW cars. If you haven't taken AMC, then I guess you will have to pay for all the consumables. Even then, 15K sounds high.
Old 27th October 2010, 00:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Now they call up and say my bill is 15k and they have nothing called a free service and that everything is paid. This is downright ridiculous.
My Jetta has still some distance to cover before the 1st service, odo currently at 4 K kms. However, during purchase I was told that there is no AMC or free service for Jetta.

Usual service i.e. 15, 30, 45 K will cost about Rs. 8-10 K while major service i.e. 60 , 120 K will cost Rs. 12-13 K.

I guess your bill of Rs. 15 K also includes Rs 5.8 K for the rear light damage so it's normal. After all Germans are high maintenance but isn't it worth maintaining them

Cheers,
Naman
Old 27th October 2010, 11:58   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think it's the same for all VW cars. If you haven't taken AMC, then I guess you will have to pay for all the consumables. Even then, 15K sounds high.
The service bill is less than 10k only. It is just that the rear tail lamp costs 5.8k and hence the total estimate is 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
My Jetta has still some distance to cover before the 1st service, odo currently at 4 K kms. However, during purchase I was told that there is no AMC or free service for Jetta.

Usual service i.e. 15, 30, 45 K will cost about Rs. 8-10 K while major service i.e. 60 , 120 K will cost Rs. 12-13 K.

I guess your bill of Rs. 15 K also includes Rs 5.8 K for the rear light damage so it's normal. After all Germans are high maintenance but isn't it worth maintaining them
Thanks Naman, I wasn't aware that there are no free services by VW for any model whatsoever. I just took it for granted that any manufacturer in India has free services. It is not about the money, it is just that service advisor didn't mention it properly. Yes of course it is worth maintaining the German. After all, I spend 40% of the money I used to spend on a Japanese petrol on fuel.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:05   #90
BHPian

>>>

Lads,

Nearing 19k on the odo of my Jetta. First (paid)service done at 14.6 k. No issues. Touchwood.

Will get it checked at the VW workshop before embarking on my Bombay-Delhi-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay run. Hope to use the tiptronic then ( never used it yet).
Am not changing the lamps to HIDs.

Regards, drive safe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks