Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 23:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update

Decision Process :

I have been planning to get a car for myself since ages now. Ages in this case would be a better part of ten years now (school/college/initial job years inclusive).
After test driving some cars and eliminating many others based on reviews and price tags, I finally shortlisted the Figo Titanium Diesel and the Swift ZXi.

Why the Figo was eliminated :

I like the Figo. I really do. I liked the way it rides over bumps, I liked the driving position, liked the room and I loved the white colour.
Even though the diesel only has 68 horses, they are mighty fine, muscular horses and gallop with great gusto. It also costs almost the same as the Swift P. What finally made me eliminate the Figo was the lack of some features like rear power windows, alloy wheels and smaller things like steering mounted stereo controls and climate control. Also the fact that it had bumpers thinner than some potato chips I just ate finally made me turn towards the Swift.

TD, booking and some frustrating moments :

I tried two dealers in Pune , Sai Service and Chowgule. The difference in the two dealers was really stark. The one owned by our sporting MP hardly seemed interested in selling me a car, while the folks at Chowgule seemed great! Booking and TD was a breeze.Decided to go for the rather nice looking Sunlight Copper shade. And I started waiting in anticipation.

Around 20 days into the wait, the SP called me and told me that they wont be able to deliver a car to me in May. I was crushed. And pissed. But the dealers just pleaded helplessness saying that Maruti themselves were not supplying vehicles to them. I had almost made up my mind to cancel the whole thing. A lot of mails were traded between me and Maruti, who kept saying that the dealer is the best person to comment on delivery dates, who inturn kept insisting that ZXi s were really in short supply and no vehicles would be arriving till the end of June.
In the end I was really frustrated and sent a strongly worded letter to Maruti saying that since nobody knows when a car is going to be allotted to my booking, please redirect me to someone who does, or let me know the cancellation process. Got a reply within 10 minutes saying that a complaint number had been assigned to my case and they were on it.
And indeed they were! Got a call from the dealer half an hour later saying that a Red ZXi was in transit and would I liked to have it. I was seriously impressed by this promptness and replied in the affirmative.
The vehicle arrived at the yard on Monday, when I went ahead and completed the final payment+registration formalities .

More on the car :

Took the delivery at the dealer's yard today morning. Over 200 cars were lined up for delivery today and there was a huge rush. I had queued up for delivery right behind a family who had bought 3 identical chocolate brown Zen Estilos. It had 23 Kms on the odo when I first opened the door of my (first) very own car.

The engine is whisper quiet, has impressive refinement at idle. Found the brakes a wee bit difficult to modulate initially, but now seem fine. Redeemed my 5 litre fuel coupon at Bhapkar Petrol Pump opposite City Pride Satara road and tanked her up too! Fuel taken in was 42.7 litres, which means I was running (which included a detour beforehand to my grandparents' place) dangerously low on fuel.

It may been discussed to death before, but I want to say that I am pleased that Maruti chose to plonk the K-series engine into the bay of their top selling model.

The end result is a slick feeling, slick shifting thing that only the Japanese can manage to cobble up.
I have recently driven the earlier 1.3 Swift and its an impressive thing. Even though the K12M is less powerful on paper, in the real world, it is 97% the enthusiasts' engine the 1.3 was, with simultaneous huge gains in FE and refinement.
At 80kmph on the highway in 5th with engine lazily turning at a shade under 2000 rpm, I felt like jumping out and giving my car a hug, because it felt unlike anything I had driven before.
At the end of the day, the odo read 75kms. And the fuel needle hadnt budged. I am loving it!

I am attaching a couple of pictures taken today morning, I will post more as soon as I click some decent ones.

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_0171.jpg

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_0173.jpg
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2010, 23:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sajo!
Old 16th May 2010, 23:48   #3
BHPian

nice writeup dude...

and congratulations on the newbie... the red is a major pain to maintain (but who am i to complain - mine's black AND maroon!!!)

enjoy her and stay safe.

cheers,
ak
Old 16th May 2010, 23:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Sajo. Whats the current OTR for Swift ZXi?

Since you have tested the 1.3 recently, how do you find the new suspension setup? Any major difference?
Old 17th May 2010, 00:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats again, Sajo. Be cautious during the run-in period, do not maintain constant rpm for too long till the run-in is done. What tyres did you get? JK? I suggest that you trade them for Michelins or Yokos. The Swift 1.2 is THE best all rounder hatch, as of now. Cheers!
Old 17th May 2010, 00:11   #6
BHPian

Congrats Sajo!
I'm planning on picking a White Swift Zxi too. Thank you for starting with an initial comparo with figo.
Do you think mailing Maruti directly helped or it was the sales guys who took efforts for delivery.
In chennai,most dealers have told me 3 months to deliver any color Zxi.infact one of the dealers told me they refuse to take bookings for a Zxi model.although I haven't figured why he said such a thing.
Please share with us why you selected the Zxi instead of the other versions of swift.
looking forward to a detailed initial ownership report as I think this is one of the first k series swift zxi's on the forum.
Please do comment on the improved suspension and the clutch feel of the new swift.have the nvh levels improved.

Guess i've asked enough questions for you to drive a few hundred miles before answering my questions.:-)

Keep the rev high n the odo ticking.

Cheers on the lovely red swift.welcome the swiftness!!!
Old 17th May 2010, 00:20   #7
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Sajo. You are indeed lucky to get the car even after sending multiple mails to the concerned authorities in Maruti.
It seems there is some kinda of problem Maruti is facing with respect to scheduled deliveries.
I had booked Ritz LDI in March end and still dealer doesnt have any idea as to when I will get the car. Had been sending bashing mails just like you did to Maruti officials. I hope this thing works out.
Happy driving and Take Care
Old 17th May 2010, 00:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
Please share with us why you selected the Zxi instead of the other versions of swift.
That's easy!
  • OE Stereo
  • Steering mounted audio controls
  • Automatic climate control
  • Tilt Steering
  • Height adjustable seat for driver
  • Rear Window washer and wiper
  • ABS
  • Airbags
  • Wider tyres and alloy wheels
  • Seat belt pre-tensioners
  • Integrated remote control in key
These are the major features of the ZXi over the VXi/LXi.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:47   #9
BHPian

swift "ZXI" is a good choice. i have stopped caring for the other swifts! its as comman as a flu. but overall if you look at it in a neutral and open mind its one of the best cars in terms of refinement, handling, sportiness, efficency. and A S S is the best and you get good resale and stuff! not a bad move!!

but just out of curiosity why didn't you go for other cars like even the beat! or say an i20? if feature was your criteria!

also do tell us about the interiors if there is any improvement! and also if anything is different overall!

Last edited by Caramelo : 17th May 2010 at 09:49.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats Sajo. Whats the current OTR for Swift ZXi?

The current OTR of the Swift in Pune is 5,96,000, with third year extended warranty which I have opted for.

Quote:
Since you have tested the 1.3 recently, how do you find the new suspension setup? Any major difference?
The new suspension setup feels more softly sprung, though not by much.
I would say not more than 5-7%. But given the horrid conditions our roads are in the Monsoons, I would say it works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What tyres did you get? JK? I suggest that you trade them for Michelins or Yokos. The Swift 1.2 is THE best all rounder hatch, as of now. Cheers!
Yes, got the standard 185/70 R14 JK Vectras. Will run them for a year or so before getting Michelins (XM1+).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
Do you think mailing Maruti directly helped or it was the sales guys who took efforts for delivery.
In chennai,most dealers have told me 3 months to deliver any color Zxi.
Manjith, I guess it was intervention by Maruti which helped push the matters for me.

NVH levels have hugely improved. Due to the tweaks to the suspension and the new engine, it no longer thunks and thwacks through the bad road bits.

Quote:
Because of these :

Quote:
  • ABS
  • Airbags
  • Wider tyres and alloy wheels
The other features are just nice things to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
I had booked Ritz LDI in March end
Alex, I guess its time for you to lodge a "complaint" with Maruti.Keep the regional sales contact in CC for all the mails (can be found on Maruti's website). Dealers take these complaints very seriously and your chances of getting a vehicle go up multiple times.

However I am surprised by this, Ritz petrol as well as diesels are available almost off the shelf with most dealers in Pune. You may have to wait for upto 8 days if the colour is not in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
swift "ZXI" is a good choice.
Yes, if people keep the bias aside and compare with an open mind, people will find that the Swift 1.2 ticks almost all the right boxes at a price which is much lower than some of the competition.

There has been no change in the interiors. Everything is exactly how it was earlier.

Did not go for the beat because : Looks are too edgy for me. And the i20 because : Its too expensive for what you get, did not tug at my heart strings like a Swift did.

More on the stock stereo ( I am a hopeless ICE noob) :

- To some it up : Its pretty average.
- The Figo's OE stereo in comparison, sounds bassier and has better fidelity.
- Fine for bollywood on the radio.
- Volume controls and seek buttons on the steering wheel are a great advantage, love that feature.
- Comes with a remote too.
- Does not come with a USB port. I dont understand why this rather nice to have feature..nay..essential.. is eliminated in most stock Maruti sound systems. It does come with an AUX in though.

Noticeable +ve's over the 1.3 Swift :

- Quieter
- Perceptibly smoother on roads which are not.
- No perceptible change in acceleration.
- Good FE gains.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 11:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Sajo. The copper shade looks better for me. May there were issues since that colors moves slowly off the showroom floor. Nevertheless red is good too.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the Swift.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sajo, Thats a good car your bought

Quote:
I tried two dealers in Pune , Sai Service and Chowgule. The difference in the two dealers was really stark. The one owned by our sporting MP hardly seemed interested in selling me a car, while the folks at Chowgule seemed great!
Very true, I bought mine from Chowgule & I recommend it to everyone & all of those who have bought from them have been happy.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sajo, Enjoy your car responsibly (sounds like drink!)
Old 17th May 2010, 14:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your latest Acquisition Sajo, ZXI is probably the Best of the lot IMO, atleast for the features.

Please tell me if there is a considerable drop in power with AC switched on in the 1.2K engine Swift.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Please tell me if there is a considerable drop in power with AC switched on in the 1.2K engine Swift.
Vik, there is no perceptible change in the power delivery when the AC is switched on.

I tried yesterday with the climate control set to a low-ish 18 degrees with full blower speed, and there was no change felt in the throttle response.

This was with only 2 people in the car though. Lets see if it changes when we have a few more occupants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks