Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 02:10   #1

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)

Long Term Ownership Report
This is the beginning of my ownership report on Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura (Diesel)
Posted my first post on Initial ownership report of Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura, about seven months back. Thought this would be a good opportunity to post the ownership report, now that my vehicle has crossed 6500 Kms on the odometer..

View of My Car -
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-copy-img_1203.jpg
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-img_1210.jpg
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-img_1213.jpg
Good things first
The vehicle is absolute beauty on the highways – its stable, at speeds of 130-140 also, the control seem to be great – maneuverability is a bit less (this car is not that nimble)
TATA’s seem to have improved service. Of late - there are follow-ups, summer camps, service checks (200 point or 30 point checks) etc. The pick-up and drop facility at door step works, the delays, if at all, are communicated, there is a feedback mechanism in place, the cost is minimal – maintenance as well as repairs (in eight months so far – I have incurred about Rs. 1400 that too for additional oil additive that I unwittingly agreed to).
Amongst other positives – I had a balanced crib in front of the TATA representative (a select customers with a lot of cribs were called) and I was one of the few who got a Rs. 5000 worth coupon free (am entitled to get anything done using this coupon at any of the TATA service centers!)
Last trip we made was of 500 kms - I measured full tank to full tank and the total diesel consumption was 29.4 litres – giving a mileage of about 17 kms to a litre with full AC on and with a heavy foot (hit speeds of 130-140, with speeds of 100+ being common and took a couple of hours to get out of the city – this was mainly in 2nd/3rd gear at 25-30). The trip was to Yelagiri from Chennai..Some snaps here –
Some snaps from Yelagiri Trip
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-03052010940.jpg

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-uni_0235.jpg

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-03052010844.jpg

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-03052010946.jpg

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-03052010974.jpg

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-uni_0246.jpg

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-03052010967.jpg
Now for the negatives
For a new car, the first time I went to see my car was a horrifying experience. The car was in Pune for 3 months – when I opened the front bonnet- I could only see dirt, all over. The door grease was all dried –this was the case even after the vehicle was delivered. There were two small scratches and the initial vehicle inspection by the dealer did nothing to rectify this. The internal plastic had lots of marks..the initial work before handing over the vehicle did take care of most of the marks but some still remain!
Overall sales experience at TAFE Reach left me with a feeling of lack of transparency. To date, I don’t have the RTO receipts – everytime I enquire – I am told that the motor registration card that is provided to you is sufficient. But I want the RTO receipts!!
For a new car – too many things have been worked on. The steering was too tight. One person named Kishore at Tafe worked on it. He seems to be a good engineer. Whenever he does something – my car performance seem to zoom.
There was work done to repair my clutch, work done to make my gear shift smooth, work done to improve my AC performance but my AC performance still remains an issue, work done to improve fuel efficiency. The bad part is – there were 4 or 5 trips to the workshop apart from the two free servicing. There were a lot of repairs.
Good part is – I wasn’t charged anything for any of these services. There was a pick-up and drop at door step.
Do I still recommend this car???
1) For this budget + features (with ABS and Air-bags added in the new variants) I still feel it is value for money
2) I haven’t compared with Ford Figo – but if features wise and cost wise Ford Fugo comes near then the only comparison is leg-room space for rear seats and the cost!
3) On the whole, if you are a stickler to details and expect things to be in place all the time and in everything then this is not the car! If you are tuned to the Indian way – things would not work always (there are this electricity cuts, broadband connection would always have a period of shutdowns – even Airtel has a minute or two of cut-offs at 1 AM many days!!, there would be traffic jams on some days that would take atleast 30 mins to clear etc. etc.) then this car works – actually then it’s a great car..all the niggles apart – this car is VFM and this car has a manufacturer who has woken up to service issues (and has a brand equity to serve consumers), also this car has amazing highway performance.
I haven’t checked the budget/feature set for VW Polo/Ford Figo. But apart from these two hatchbacks – this one beats all others in a package of VFM/features/driveablity (Punto or I20 are good but are expensive and unless you only are stuck to city driving warrant a sedan at their price).
Maintenance quote for the damage
Please find some damage to the car so far – a bullock car hit from side once and a car smashed from behind once. Both these have caused some minor damage but I have got a quote of about Rs. 5500 to get these things repaired. Please find the snaps of the damage here…

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-img_1200.jpg
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-img_1204.jpg
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-img_1206.jpg

My left side rear view mirror got damaged (mirror is fine, the cover is fine but the mirror is out of assembly). I am told that the whole assembly needs to be replaced. That would cost Rs. 1000 and a painting cost of another Rs. 450 so that’s Rs. 1450.
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Probably I will use my Rs 5000 for these repairs (maybe will have to shell out Rs. 2000 from my pocket) – unless if anyone here has better suggestion please do let me know.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-03052010903.jpg  

Indica Vista - 6500 Kms (First Report)-img_1207.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 1st June 2010 at 05:48.

Most Viewed