Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 11:47   #136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver

Let me explain a bit. Our annual mileage is about 15,000 distributed between the two cars. With the mess that Kanpur roads are in (both physically and traffic wise) the Civic is more or less on a highway usage. Only when the Santro is engaged otherwise do I take the Civic out. In its latter days even the local usage on my Accent was declining.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me explain a bit. Our annual mileage is about 15,000 distributed between the two cars. With the mess that Kanpur roads are in (both physically and traffic wise) the Civic is more or less on a highway usage. Only when the Santro is engaged otherwise do I take the Civic out. In its latter days even the local usage on my Accent was declining.
I know it sir. I am sure you have told us the same earlier as well. And frankly, in city chaos situations, the hatchback makes a perfect sense. So many times when I am going to some uncomfortable areas of NCR or my native place, how I wish I had a small & nimble hatch to drive through!
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:55   #138
BANNED

Just did two back-to-backround trips to Gwalior. Kanpur-Jhansi-Gwalior.

The averages were 11.75 (with 50ml of System G in the tank), 12.03 (Essar Petrol), 12.3 and 13.7. In each case the road was the same, destinations the same, etc. In each trip we hit an indicated 130kph+ for some distance.

Some questions:
1. Did System G clean up the fuel system, since succeeding trips are more economical?
2. The differences do look significant.
Old 4th February 2012, 01:09   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just did two back-to-backround trips to Gwalior. Kanpur-Jhansi-Gwalior.

The averages were 11.75 (with 50ml of System G in the tank), 12.03 (Essar Petrol), 12.3 and 13.7. In each case the road was the same, destinations the same, etc. In each trip we hit an indicated 130kph+ for some distance.

Some questions:
1. Did System G clean up the fuel system, since succeeding trips are more economical?
2. The differences do look significant.
Very unlikely. No additive can result in 17% increase in fuel economy. If a Rs. 300 bottle can achieve that, then no car manufacturer would need to spend billions of R&D dollars on car aerodynamics, engine technology, hybrids etc. All their money would go into discovering an elixir to mix with petrol!

I used System G on my old Chevrolet Optra (GM used to give away a bottle with every new car) and got nothing extra out of it.

What's likely is that your driving style and/or the traffic conditions were different each time. Although it is quite odd to see a steadily increasing fuel economy numbers!
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 14:07   #140
BANNED

Oops! Mistake and part of the mystery is cleared. System G was poured in at the beginning of Part III and not part I. So the improvement to 12.3 and 13.7 was after it was put in. However, I will not consider the improvement from 12.03 to 12.3 as significant. 13.7 came with no additives!
Old 15th February 2012, 14:00   #141
BANNED

Now I had to do a quick trip to Agra. This is all NH2 with the destination at the other end of Agra (just off the NH2). Going up it was 11.2 (incl. about 40km of local driving in Kanpur) and two stretches of the bumper-to-bumper in Agra from Yamuna Bridge to the destination. On the way back I tanked up outside Agra. Also, due to the traffic I was mostly between 85 and 965kph and crossed 100 only once or twice. I saw an kpl figure of 18.8 for a sustained interval, and I tanked up on my return just to see the consumption. The figure was 17.6.

Also, I saw the car cruising in 5th as low as 62kph!

Not bad for an 1800 AT!!
Old 15th February 2012, 16:16   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw an kpl figure of 18.8 for a sustained interval, and I tanked up on my return just to see the consumption. The figure was 17.6.
Not bad for an 1800 AT!!
Fantastic figures Prof. I'm sure it's with 100% AC.

To acheive good mileage, Best suited speed/RPM in Manual Civic is 80-85kmph & between 1900-2200RPM.
When driving in these condtions twice I have acheived 20+kmpl on full highway drive.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 20:25   #143
BHPian

Quote:
The figure was 17.6.
Great!

Glad to know that I have company!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th February 2012 at 09:30. Reason: fixing quote tags. Thanks for the report. :)
Old 16th February 2012, 09:16   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Sorry, only about 10% AC. It is Winter here. Night temperatures were as low as 2.2 of late! AC is needed in the daytime after about 11:30 esp. when in town (also to keep away the fumes/smells).
Old 4th April 2012, 09:12   #145
BANNED

@sushrutha; I forgot to add that in a powerful engine like the Civic, AC will not impact highway consumption significantly. Even city consumption is not impacted that much. In fact on the highway I always wondered with the AC you have the windows closed, but without it you have the windows open. This a far higher drag configuration. Drag increases as the fourth power of the velocity. So how much do you actually gain or lose with the no AC configuration!
Old 4th April 2012, 11:39   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In fact on the highway I always wondered with the AC you have the windows closed, but without it you have the windows open. This a far higher drag configuration. Drag increases as the fourth power of the velocity. So how much do you actually gain or lose with the no AC configuration!
Apparently, your fuel economy goes DOWN by 5% if you keep your windows open because of the drag. Plus all that wind noise makes you tired. And the women in the car will hate you because their hair gets messed up.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:49   #147
BHPian

Quote:

To acheive good mileage, Best suited speed/RPM in Manual Civic is 80-85kmph & between 1900-2200RPM.
When driving in these condtions twice I have acheived 20+kmpl on full highway drive.
Hey there,

I have a query. If we drive at 1500 rpm instead of 2000 rpm, both in 5th gear, won't we get better mileage?

I mean, lower the rpm-lower the work done by the engine-higher the FE. No?
Old 4th April 2012, 13:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How many passengers were there in the car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hey there,

I have a query. If we drive at 1500 rpm instead of 2000 rpm, both in 5th gear, won't we get better mileage?

Yup, lower the rpm lower will be the speed and i guess better will be the FE in 5 th gear on the higways.The more steady the speed you keep the car in , better will be the mileage. Accelearating/declearating increases fuel consumption.I think this is applicable to all cars not just the civic.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th April 2012 at 13:13.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 15:34   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@sushrutha; I forgot to add that in a powerful engine like the Civic, AC will not impact highway consumption significantly. Even city consumption is not impacted that much. In fact on the highway I always wondered with the AC you have the windows closed, but without it you have the windows open. This a far higher drag configuration. Drag increases as the fourth power of the velocity. So how much do you actually gain or lose with the no AC configuration!
Well there should be a slight difference in the FE. Coz of the AC compressor running, which will be additional load on the engine. But it all depends on how well the engine can handle/compensate the extra load.

I have even observed the slight difference in Liters/Hour fuel consumption in my Scangauge ( Well I don't have it now to prove the fact, as I sold it off) when I put on the Music system+Amplifier+all those lights. Consumption increases ... but very very marginally.

Here is my observation from the scangauge when idling .
Quote:
Here is my scangauge reading.
Idle - 0.74 LPH (Liters per hour)
Idle with AC - 1.07 LPH with AC set to 23d
I'm yet to test the figures when coasting in gear @ same speed(with & W/o AC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hey there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
Yup, lower the rpm lower will be the speed and i guess better will be the FE in 5 th gear on the higways.The more steady the speed you keep the car in , better will be the mileage. Accelearating/declearating increases fuel consumption.I think this is applicable to all cars not just the civic.
Rememeber you get very good FE in Civic when the VTEC is activated.
R18 Civic vtec is tuned for better FE than Raw power.

I don't have much idea about the VTEC activation in Manual Civic.
memeber- DOT has vtec indicator installed in his civic, he should be able to give you the right RPM's at which the VTEC activates n deactivates in AT Civic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How many passengers were there in the car ?.
It's either 1 or 2 most of the time.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 15:51   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Rememeber you get very good FE in Civic when the VTEC is activated.
R18 Civic vtec is tuned for better FE than Raw power.
While agreeing with your remark that the fuel consumption will go up as the electrical load is increased. Naturally, I will say.

The fuel consumption difference at idle may no reflect as highly when you are at speed. Also, remember if you have the AC off in hot conditions then the windows may be partly open.

My own experience is that when the VTeC gets going, so does the Niagara Fall, i.e. mileage (or rather kilometrage) goes for a bit of a toss.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed