Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 01:30   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver

Quote:
On the way back the windscreen was struck by a very small piece of gravel
looks like gravel likes you a lot ; first it was the condnser , now it is the windshield.

Please keep us posted on the actual damages.

At this rate one would need a Mahindra or a Eeco to prevent stone related issues from causing problems.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:01   #167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@vigsom; You are correct. Last time (Condenser) it was on a road under development (NH75). Thinking about putting some grid in front. This time it is the first stretch to the GQ to be taken up (NH25, still incomplete though). I guess just my luck.

I have broken the windscreen thrice, first time in my Padmini Deluxe (1984), Accent (2008 or 2009) and now Civic. Not too bad for 42 years of driving!
Old 9th May 2012, 11:23   #168
Senior - BHPian

I have been witnessing quite a few instances of damage to the condensor because of gravel from road hitting the same. Does anyone know of a DIY method to get a wire mesh inserted between the bumper and the condensor or is it done at the H.A.S.S ? Thanks.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:38   #169
BANNED

@rr_zen; I think the front bumper will have to come off. @vigsom; why not post pics and details of your personal experience.

Incidentally, talked to Windshield Experts. They are coming this evening. Fingers crossed.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:26   #170
BANNED

see vigsom's pics, etc in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...h4-blue-4.html

Update on Windshied Experts. I went home early. Finally I called Mr Abhishek at about 5:45pm. Said he was finishing his last car and should be there with me in one hour max. I asked him that it will be dark. He said does not matter. Nothing, so called him at 7:15 or so. No reply so sms'ed him to forget it for the day. Then he called back and I told him that no way am I permitting him to work after dark, if he damaged the paint or upholstery I would not even know. Have asked him to come at 12:30 today.

I also messaged his Area Office in Lucknow about the sordid state of affairs. No response from there either.

They do seem to be experts in fibbing. As for the job I am now having second thoughts. If they do not come today then I will just forget it.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:50   #171
BANNED

Finally managed to get a picture of the impact crack. Not very good but it will have to do.

Windshield Experts are still to show up. The chap called me at noon, and I said I am starting for home straight away (10 min max). He would take at least 40 min. Nothing so tried calling and messaging him. No luck. So I gave notice that I will return to IIT at 2:00 and also inform his HO. Got an sms within two minutes stating that as they were on their way the found the glass cracked. Will take about four days. Then I also got a call from their HO wanting to confirm details of the car. So Inshah Allah something may happen on Tuesday / Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-glass_crack.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2012, 14:57   #172
BANNED

Just got ther 2-year service done. One of the wiper blades had been juddering for quite some time, so go it replaced. The Air fliter could possibly have been cleaned but at 10,000 on very dusty roads NH25/NH75 (GQ!) and NH2/NH93 (latter in a mess) I thought might as well replace it.

Total damages Rs.3622. No oiil change needed as I am on synth.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-civic_120522.jpg  

Old 29th May 2012, 09:17   #173
BANNED

Windshield Experts finally got and replaced the glass yesterday. In typical Kanpur fashion they came only 1-1/2 hours late. Total cost Rs.11k. Glass is Identical to the original expect for the etched Honda logo. I am told the HA$$ often buys from them. They were trying to get the glass from the 5th of May.

However, they seemed to know their job. Too out the beading and trim. Then inserted some sort of a knife in between the glass and body. Went round with it. Then put in a cutter wire and wend round pulling it. This removed the old glass. Then he cleaned up the frame (removed PU) and put a fillet of PU on the glass (three sides) and the frame (bottom). I asked why this way, and not all four sides on the glass or frame. He said this method stops the PU seeping out. Then using vacuum clamps, they then put the glass, and then replaced the trim. Total time under 1:30.

There was almost no work inside, I will inspect and report back. The bottom trim has a couple of small gaps, but I think one cannot expect much better in a field job.
Old 29th May 2012, 15:10   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
However, they seemed to know their job.
Having spent time in Kanpur and a good number of kilometres in the miraculous moving mechanical contraptions called Vikrams, I can tell you I'm not really surprised at this.

The mechs there are the epitome of jugaad. They can make pretty much anything on wheels move (in the functionally strictest sense of the term).

But I can't tell you how surprised I am at the level of neatness - going by your description - in the output. So un-Kanpur-like!

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th December 2012, 09:58   #175
BANNED

Got the seventh service done.

Also, installed the rubber donots later since Honda will not do that. The before and after pics clearly show to increase in height. Also, the job coule be done using a jack with no need to put the car on a hoist in about 30 minutes max.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-civic_7.jpg  

Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-before.jpg  

Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-spacers.jpg  

Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-after.jpg  

sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 12:58   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Got the seventh service done.

Also, installed the rubber donots later since Honda will not do that. The before and after pics clearly show to increase in height. Also, the job coule be done using a jack with no need to put the car on a hoist in about 30 minutes max.
By rubber donuts you mean similar stuff like Auto-runners or is it some other brand? Have you installed the same only in rear or on all 4? Can you let us know the cost for the same? Also are the snaps under full load ? I've not yet got the same on my car as half the time I'm driving alone and balance with 2 kids and 2 adults only? Was thinking of getting the same done before I head out to highway with 3 adults , 2 kids and 2 bags of boot luggage?
Old 9th January 2013, 13:50   #177
BANNED

@saurabhkum; I think they are Autorunners from Darryl. Only the rear have been done. There is no increase in height, (typo in the post). We are seldom more than two so that is our regular load, Many roads tend to be horrible, as do the speed-breakers (more aptly car breakers) hence this additional protection. There is an Allahabad HC order from the 1990's outlawing these monstrosities on NHs but who cares.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:25   #178
BANNED

Just replaced the lh rear mudflap. They are available singly and the unit with painting cost me about Rs.400. There are three screws holding it in place. Two were in place so the flap was just refixed, while the third was missing. The GM at Pushp Honda gave me a clip with M6 threading, so I put in an M6 bolt with a big washer in front. In fact this is better than the original which also has a self tapping screw (as seen on the rhs).
Old 30th May 2013, 11:31   #179
BANNED

Got the 3 year service yesterday. Mileage 12042. Total service cost 2804. No oil change (synth in November), asked for brake fluid change (3 years), they found an erratic idle so did a scan and a Throttle Body clean. Reported poor battery - not surprising at three years, and the AC low on refrigerant (8.4C in place of 5C).

Also, had a dented bonnet due to a tractor trolley rolling back at the IIT Gate. This cost 6400.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-service.jpg  

Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-imag0052a.jpg  

Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-repair.jpg  

Old 30th May 2013, 12:31   #180
Senior - BHPian

I feel the charges for throttle body cleaning are on the lower side. I remember doing this for my Esteem more than 2 years ago and ended up paying more than 600 INR at the M.A.S.S for this alone.

My battery is also on its last legs with my Civic completing 3 years and 2 months now. Planning to go in for Amaron as usual. Need to decide on the model though.

The dent in the bonnet does not seem to be a major one. Did you get the entire bonnet repainted for this ? If so, how would you rate the quality of workmanship on the paint job? Thanks.

Most Viewed