Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 11:40   #61
BANNED

@jayanth_yk: Please look at SatNav Vs Mapmyindia
It is a Garmin 265WT (T is useless in India) with SatNav (Rs.990) map. I bought friction mount and case at the same time. Bought from Amazon and sent to a friend's daughter in the US

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th June 2010 at 11:44.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:19   #62
BANNED

I was surpirsed to get a call on Thursday from the joker who had messed up on Tuesday apologising. Even more surprising was a letter of apology from Pushp Honda which arrived yesterday.

I agree with Amartya that Pushp Honda appear to be decent people. Let us see how the relationship develops - I intend to keep the car for about 8-10 years.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:39   #63
BHPian

That is great reassuring. I really wish if Honda dealers were as good as their cars. The onus is on all of us to make the dealers come good by engaging in actively providing feedbacks directly or indirectly through forums like TBHP.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:26   #64
BANNED

Charging Problem is back

I had not driven the car since bringing it back. On Sunday I took it out and the Battery light came on for a few minutes, but then went off on its own, and things were again Ok. Yesterday I did two trips to IIT with no fuss. I did inform Pushp Honda on Monday and said that I will keep an eye, since such problems are a devil to track down.

Today the light came on and stayed on. On starting it is not there, but shows up after a few minutes. So I drove home, left the engine running and put a DMM on the battery. Voltage about 12.05. Switched off the engine and started it again after a minute, no warning, Voltage about 12.11.

So to me it looks like a duff alternator (or regulator). With the battery showing a (near) full charge, there is no way that with the alternator working the voltage should be much below 12.8! They are picking it up tomorrow. Let us see.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:00   #65
BHPian

AT rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I intend to keep the car for about 8-10 years.
Me too, my AT is now 3+ years old with 66K on the odo.
At ten years at the same rate I might finish 2 lakh kms.

Regarding the Battery light, let us know what was the problem.
I have always thought Honda was very reliable.

I have faced only one problem so far: Shuddering during braking which was solved when I replaced the front discs along with the pad at 40K.

I am very satisfied with the AT and will never buy an MT ever again.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:10   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Regarding the Battery light, let us know what was the problem.

I have faced only one problem so far: Shuddering during braking which was solved when I replaced the front discs along with the pad at 40K.
I talked to the works manager this evening. They claim to have found the problem in the loom. A badly crimped connection. On checking they found two or three more suspicious joints. They have fixed them. Now the battery is at 14.0V as specified. I expect the car back tomorrow. I may ask Honda to replace the loom section if the problem recurs.

I am surprised that the disc pads lasted 40k. In my Santro (and also the Zen AT earlier) the pads lasted only 25k or so. An AT uses pads faster, as there is no engine braking. Also, most of the time you can 'skim' the discs and use them. I know Honda does not like it, but there is no harm as long as the disc in thicker than the specs.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I talked to the works manager this evening. They claim to have found the problem in the loom. A badly crimped connection. On checking they found two or three more suspicious joints. They have fixed them. Now the battery is at 14.0V as specified. I expect the car back tomorrow. I may ask Honda to replace the loom section if the problem recurs.
Are the wirings original factory fitted or did you do any extra fitting work which created this problem?

And sorry, what is a 'loom'?
Old 30th June 2010, 20:45   #68
BANNED

@manim: The loom is the wiring system. A section of the loom is the part between two connectors. The Step Garnish installed by the Honda dealer, who did the firsat service also.

If what he is saying is correct then this problem was bound to come up sooner or later, and it is just a coincidence that it came up just after the garnish was installed. It just disturbed some things, which made it show up.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am very satisfied with the AT and will never buy an MT ever again.
Well, I had made up my mind like that too after the CVT. But we fell for the Manza and what timing, 8000+ kms in three months!

Quote:
I am surprised that the disc pads lasted 40k. In my Santro (and also the Zen AT earlier) the pads lasted only 25k or so. An AT uses pads faster, as there is no engine braking.
Sir, my NHC CVT was on OEM pads even at 46000+ kms when it was sold. The brakes were as good as new!
Old 1st July 2010, 21:36   #70
BANNED

The person who fixed it delivered it this evening. He found the voltage drop was between the Alternator and the Battery. Tracked it down to a lose bolt on connection in the bonnet fuse box. Tightened it and then all other connectors for good measure.

So the problem was only waiting to happen, and the step garnish installation was a total coincidence.

The car was returned in a pristine condition.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st July 2010 at 21:37.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:38   #71
BANNED

3 month update

Got the second service done at Heritage Honda, Gwalior.

They had been flooded yesterday, but still did a very good job.

Distance to date: 1192km. Consumption: 9.47kpl (last tank 11.1)

Total cost to date: Rs.20 (today for a blown fuse).

On Saturday I put a 2-in-1 adapter and connected both the car fridge and GPS. Total load 5A. The ACC fuse blew. This was a 15A fuse. The 8A fuse (fast blow) in the 2-in-1 is Ok. Fuse replaced. Cause of blown fuse unknown. Could be related to the Alternator problem earlier.

The SA did not know that the oil change is now 6 months/10000km - i.e. 3rd service and insisted that it is due now. After a bit of discussion we checked the service coupon and he agreed. Seems Honda have switched to a synth only recently.

They also replaced the fuse tweezer which was either missing on had gone awol during the alternator fracas.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:53   #72
BHPian

sgiitk,

Any advice on the following :

1. A GPS for my Jetta (AT) as I do and intend to continue inter-city travel of 1000 kms per trip. I have found my Eicher India Road Atlas fairly accurate; Google Maps is not that good.

2. A foot pump

3. HID lamps?

I put the car at N from D, whenever I find myself stopping for 30 secs plus, which is pretty often in our desi Shanghai, aka Mumbai.

P.S. : Are you in Gwalior on a driving trip from Kanpur?

Regards
Old 25th August 2010, 17:33   #73
BANNED

1. I have a Garmin 265W with SatNav maps. Used in a Kanpur-Gwalior run and returned only today. Quite good, but naturally local knowledge is better. This is a route I have done at least four times a year for over 30 years. You can get the Garmin + pouch + friction mount for under $190 from the US. Ask someone to get it for you. You can pay by Creditr Card and get it delivered to the person in the US! SatNav maps cost Rs.990 (MapMyIndia ae 7000).

2. I used one since 1974 but have now gone over to battery powered ones since about 1995. These (unknown brands, made in China) cost about Rs.800-900 and easily last for more than 5 years. I normally include it when I sell my car!

3. I have not gone for them or for illegal high wattage bulbs. I may think about HID once the warranty on my Civic is over.

Going to N does conserve fuel as the TC is out of the circuit. I also do it when stuck in traffic.

Gwalior are my in-laws so go there at an average four plus times a year. Lousy rail connectivity, so drive down - 160km to Etawah is NH2 (GQ), 110m from Etawah is NH92 of which 30 or so is better suited for testing the Lunar Rover.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:01   #74
BANNED

Last tankful - after service 12kpl. Gwalior - Kanpur 270km 150 NH2, 110 NH92 incl. 30km or so of lunar terrain more fit for a tractor or lunar buggy!
Old 26th November 2010, 16:23   #75
BANNED

Update at 6 months, 3rd Service

Just got the car back after the 3rd Service. Total km done 2505. Provided my own Mobil 1 (0W40), 4l costs 4,400.

Cost of service parts Rs.251.

Total cost to third service Rs.4651 Avge from 2nd to 3rd Service 10.4kpl.

Best Avge: 15+kpl
Worst Avge: 6.8kpl local stuck in a jam

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dr%20Sanjay%20Gupta/Desktop/3rd%20Serv.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-3rd-serv.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks