Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 09:23   #196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver

Yesterday while driving back from Lucknow some chap came in very close and managed to break the drivers side ORVM. Both the housing and base will have to be changed. I am contacting the body shop incharge for the job at the local dealership. Fortunately, no other damage. One of their email ids is bouncing. I think I will call him up at around 10:00. I doubt they will have in stock, and will have to get it from Honda.

Any ideas of the costs? I will keep you updated.

Now I have started using the Ganga Barrage to go to Lucknow. Knocks out about 15-20 km (City and Jajmau tannery area) and 45 minutes from the journey.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:11   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yesterday while driving back from Lucknow some chap came in very close and managed to break the drivers side ORVM. Both the housing and base will have to be changed.
Did the glass alone break or the whole unit?
And was it a two-wheeler or four-wheeler?

I had one instance of a high speed hit by another car and only the glass broke.
The OVRM unit and its motor mechanism was perfect.
So the Civic's OVRM is made very tough.

So I am surprised that yours broke, or was it a very heavy impact?

P.S
Rs.565 was charged for the mirror and labour for fitting at HASS in year 2010.
Old 11th August 2014, 16:04   #198
BANNED

@manim; I also had a cow hit the pax side and break just the mirror. Cost about Rs.400.

Here it was a Hyundai (most probably a Verna) which hit the mirror real hard, and smashed it. Both the housing and base were totalled. Fortunately, he did not hit the car or the side. I checked with Pushp Honda body shop incharge. They have changed the e-mail id. The cost of the mirror assembly is about Rs.8700. Then it has to be painted and fitted. Total cost is likely to be about Rs.9500. As expected they do not have it in stock, and are ordering from Honda. They expect it on Thursday evening (normally this is correct) then he will get it sprayed and pick up the car. 15th being a holiday it is most likely on Saturday the 16th. My son was suspecting the alignment so might also get that done at the same time.
Old 18th August 2014, 18:32   #199
BANNED

Got the job done. Also, got alignment done. Total damages Rs.9902!
Old 18th August 2014, 18:53   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Additional work:
AC gas recharge. They use an Elgi automatic system with minimal intervention. The full charge is 475gm and the unit actually had about 375gm. Automatically, pumped out and gas reclaimed, then evacuated for 10 minutes plus, held for about three minutes, followed by a gas refill with fresh oil.

OIL: Honda Synth 0W30 API-SM (not SN?) from Savita.
Sorry for this late post but I believe the AC recharge was unwarranted.

Also ,while 0W30 might be the recommended oil for Honda, is it really required in our country?Even in UP where min temperatures touch 4degrees C in the worst case , a 10w40 or 15w40 would suffice.
Quote:
Got the job done. Also, got alignment done. Total damages Rs.9902!
That was only expected ; a friend of mine got his Altis' mirror replaced recently and coughed up much more(since it is a retractable mirror)
Old 18th August 2014, 22:08   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Also ,while 0W30 might be the recommended oil for Honda, is it really required in our country?Even in UP where min temperatures touch 4degrees C in the worst case , a 10w40 or 15w40 would suffice.

That was only expected ; a friend of mine got his Altis' mirror replaced recently and coughed up much more(since it is a retractable mirror)
Can I understand why you think AC recharge was not needed. Many a times car owners are told that their AC needs recharge or servicing. How to find out if actually that's needed or not.
Also 0w-30 is much more thinner than 10w40, leave aside 15w40, this make lubrication a little better than other oils mentioned by you.

Last edited by saurabhkum : 18th August 2014 at 22:12.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:12   #202
BANNED

Quote:

1. AC cooling was a bit low. I had been postponing it.
2. 0W may not be really required but I will be loathe to go for a SAE40 or even worse 50 top end. Incidentally, even in Kanpur we have 2-3C for a few days every winter. Hills go sub zero regularly. Also, 0W30 Synth from Idemitsu is much cheaper than Mobil 1.
3. This is a retractable mirror!
Old 30th August 2014, 15:42   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Can I understand why you think AC recharge was not needed. Many a times car owners are told that their AC needs recharge or servicing. How to find out if actually that's needed or not.
I have seen that the factory charge in an AC would do its duty forever OR till some component fails.Under normal use , the only component that fails is the evaporator coil(or the cooling coil).

If the condenser has suffered damage due to a front end whack OR a stone from the vehicle ahead hitting it then the condenser is the next most vulnerable component.

"Service" is needed only if the blower throw is inadequate - typically when the cooling coil fins have suffered blocks due to dust/debris - this happens when there is no cabin air filter in the fresh air intake path (typically seen in low end cars).

Just look at any refrigerator - do these units ever require a recharge?
Old 30th August 2014, 18:04   #204
BANNED

The condenser had to be replaced due to perforation by grit. Cabin air filter has been installed Fram CF10132 last November.

Unlike a refrigerator a car AC has six flare joints.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:59   #205
BANNED

Got the serv8ice done today on an annual schedule. Total damages Rs.6693 incl synthetic oil. I was surprised that the alignment held for 4.5 years and things were in limits. I am glad they caught the LH front stripped bolt. Is a tricky job to replace, remove the calipers, pads, and disc before pushing out and replacing the culprit. It could have been a real pain to undo in case of a flat on the road. The wiper blades seem to be becoming hard in alternate years, with a two year interval.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-scan_20141117_164703.jpg  

Old 19th November 2014, 09:59   #206
BANNED

One addition. This time the crowd at the workshop had to be seen to be believed - more like Hyundai or Maruti ASS. However, I found the same degree of attention from the SA's and mechanics. Kudos to Honda and Pushp Honda. Also, nice to see that Honda is selling enough cars! The predominant beast was Amaze Diesel!
Old 21st June 2015, 09:44   #207
BANNED

What is the cost of a Honda fuse. I managed to blow the Accessory fuse (15A) on the car and went to Pearl Honda, Gurgaon looking for one. They only had 20A is stock and it cost me ₹150 in all, incl 50 for installation. The sticker price was over ₹80 + taxes.
After my return, I checked with Pushp Honda, Kanpur, they had 15A available, and the cost was ₹21. The packing date is 3rd June 2015, so it is brand new.

Now the question is, are spare prices so much HASS dependent.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-scan_20150619_170644_1.jpg  

Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver-scan_20150619_170515_1.jpg  

Old 21st June 2015, 12:00   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Rs.21 is the right price for a 15A fuse ; 81 for a 20A is daylight loot.

The part numbers for the 20A and 15A seem to originate from the same series so you shouldn't doubt it Sir.

Last edited by vigsom : 21st June 2015 at 12:03. Reason: addition
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:18   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Rs.21 is the right price for a 15A fuse ; 81 for a 20A is daylight loot.

The part numbers for the 20A and 15A seem to originate from the same series so you shouldn't doubt it Sir.
My post was more of a warning to others! Thanks for the support. These guys had tried a rip-off in the repair bill for my d-i-l's Amaze and when caught out were taken to task by Honda, and apologized profusely promising to compensate. But then some crooks are incorrigible. I have seen a few bad reports about Pearl Honda on this forum on another thread.
Old 17th November 2015, 09:51   #210
BANNED

Link(s) Advice please

I have decided to bite the bullet and add remote control to the music system. What I want to do is controls on the steering wheel - volume, channel, mode etc.

I remember a thread on this somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction - source, price, installation, etc.

Most Viewed