Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 14:55   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Hi Chetan,

Nice pics and great info. The detailing you provide is commendable.

I have a query for you and other polo owners:
Did you go with volkswagen dealer provided insurance or went with other insurance provider? I find the insurance quote form dealer to be too pricey.
For trendline petrol, they are quoting 16,600/-.

Cheerio ... Yash
Yes, I did go through with VW dealer provided insurance. However, I got a rebate of 45% of No Claim Bonus of the policy of my previous car which I had sold. For your info, the office of the same insurance Company (VW dealer provided) in my city offered to give the same insurance cover at nearly 5,000 less. I was surprised to see that premium on policies varies on quotes of the same Insurance provider!!
Old 7th July 2010, 18:17   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
@Chethan

You mentioned that there is a need to shift gears often and if one is ok with that there is no problem. My question is what is your opinion in city driving conditions? Are there just too many gear changes? Can one up shift quickly into top gear say at lower speeds? My primary concern here is how the drivability will be in Mumbai traffic conditions. Could you share any test results that you have done for lower gearing?

Thank you.
Bangalore traffic is very unique and one of the worst ever - I could say. I have used up to 4th gear in city traffic. I mostly drive in 3rd gear in flowing traffic and down shift if necessary. In B2B traffic, I use 1st & 2nd gear without acceleration.

Polo has one of the best gear shift mechanisms I have seen. It is a delight to use it. Usually, people associate "too many gear shift / lower gear" to low FE. FE is not a problem with Polo-Tdi. I am getting about 14 Kmpl in city traffic, with 100% AC. And I am not a careful driver, when it comes to conserving energy.

When I say that you have to change gears more frequently, it is only in comparison with other cars with less Turbo-lag (Tipically Figo). You do not have to always keep a hand on the gear shaft, anticipating a gear change. IMHO, it is not as bad as people say.

Best way is to take a TD and find it for yourself. Traffic conditions - you need to face everyday, is different in every city. Tomorrow, I will post the minimum speed at which you can drive the car, in 3rd, 4th & 5th Gear. That might give you an idea.

Once you are on a highway, you will love to drive Polo-Tdi. I have touched 160 Kmph and I could still feel the reserve-power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Hi Chetan,

Nice pics and great info. The detailing you provide is commendable.

I have a query for you and other polo owners:
Did you go with volkswagen dealer provided insurance or went with other insurance provider? I find the insurance quote form dealer to be too pricey.
For trendline petrol, they are quoting 16,600/-.

Cheerio ... Yash
I agree with Uvmallya.

I got 20% discount as NCB (no claim bonus). I too got it from the VW dealer. Somebody was mentioning on this forum, that the insurance was tied up with the road side assistance. Not sure about it. Please enquire with the dealer.

Premium is definitely high.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:26   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Tomorrow, I will post the minimum speed at which you can drive the car, in 3rd, 4th & 5th Gear. That might give you an idea.
Thank you Chethan. Very nice of you to help us all on everything we ask about the car.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:47   #289
Senior - BHPian

We have written in unformatted black, in Bold black, in Bold Italics black with underline, now what do want me to do, write in colour .

Anyways, get the headlamps upgraded from the dealer if its possible.

Quote:

Chetan: AC was always on. I never felt any lack of power - at any stage.

Gaurav: still havent driven the Polo Diesel, but anything over 10 seconds to 100 now fell underpowered to me.. I have a heavy foot.. so please excuse.

Chetan: Since I was used to only 1000/1100 cc Petrol engines, I do not have a problem. People like you, who drive bigger cars, can have problems.

Gaurav: I think you got it the other way, the thing is I have been traveling 45 kms (one side) every day to my office since last one and a half year and out of that about 20 kms is expressway. Initially I was used to our 5-speed 800 but after starting to drive on expressway every day, I started feeling that it was underpowered, then I started driving the 1.3 swift whenever I got my hands on it and again I started feeling that it was underpowered, and finally I started driving the Cedia and now sometimes I feel cedia is also underpowered (depends on who I am racing with). Further, a few drives of a friend's 320d has added to the trouble. So, its certainly me who is being desperate to get more power and not these cars. Wish I had money to get a big turbo.

Anyways, I liked your reply, very nice and polite, I actually realised after I wrote that the way it is written can be taken as an offence. Thanks for not taking it offensive.

Also, I will check the AMC for petrol Polo and calculate the cost. Thanks
Quote:
Single chrome strip looks good - I agree. But it has to be centered to the Logo. If we try to cover one strip with a black tape, the other-one will not be centered. It won't look nice.

Thats what I thought too..

On Sunday, I and Vik0728 will have a field day with my Polo. I will be posting the following details after that:
  • Rear leg room and head room snaps with a 6' tall person sitting inside.
  • Snaps on rear seat-split fold.
  • In gear acceleration 20 - 100 Kmph in 3 & 4 Gear.
  • 0 - 100 Kmph Timing.
Please tell me if you need any other details.

Nice, these details would be of great help to potential buyers.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 7th July 2010 at 23:53.
Old 8th July 2010, 08:40   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Thank you Chethan. Very nice of you to help us all on everything we ask about the car.
My pleasure!

3rd Gear can start from as low as 20 Kmph comfortably without stalling.
4th Gear can start from as low as 30 Kmph comfortably without stalling.

Both 4th and 5th Gear in Polo-Tdi is "Overdrive". 4th has a ratio of 0.97 & 5th has a ratio of 0.73 - Due to this reason, 4th Gear will suffice the need in City traffic.

Diesel cars with CVT usually do not have TurboLag. This is because, CVT will make sure that the engine spins above 2000 RPM, all the time, by choosing the right Gear for the speed. Manually Achieving this - is the key to drive any Diesel car with a Turbo charger. It can be easier with some cars - and it can be slightly difficult with the others.

All the best. Time to take a TD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Gaurav: I think you got it the other way, the thing is I have been traveling 45 kms (one side) every day to my office since last one and a half year and out of that about 20 kms is expressway. Initially I was used to our 5-speed 800 but after starting to drive on expressway every day, I started feeling that it was underpowered, then I started driving the 1.3 swift whenever I got my hands on it and again I started feeling that it was underpowered, and finally I started driving the Cedia and now sometimes I feel cedia is also underpowered (depends on who I am racing with). Further, a few drives of a friend's 320d has added to the trouble. So, its certainly me who is being desperate to get more power and not these cars. Wish I had money to get a big turbo.
Classic example of power addiction?

I wish you all the best. Work hard. Earn lots of money. Buy a 320d. And start a ownership thread! We all will get to know the car through you!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 8th July 2010 at 08:49.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:07   #291
BHPian

Quote:
No news on front bumper air dam chrome strips.

Single chrome strip looks good - I agree. But it has to be centered to the Logo. If we try to cover one strip with a black tape, the other-one will not be centered. It won't look nice
Yes that makes sense . But in that case , I can only think of blackening both the stripes :-) . Just my taste k .
In between i took the liberty of taking one of your pic and perform some rookie paint modification . Please have a look . Hope you dint mind my mod in the pic you took .
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-_mg_0186copy.jpg  

Old 8th July 2010, 13:22   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Yes that makes sense . But in that case , I can only think of blackening both the stripes :-) . Just my taste k .
In between i took the liberty of taking one of your pic and perform some rookie paint modification . Please have a look . Hope you dint mind my mod in the pic you took .
Nice one! Looks very sober! Do you really need the strip around the air-dam?

I do not mind as long as it is just a creative Pic!!
Old 8th July 2010, 13:52   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Nice one! Looks very sober! Do you really need the strip around the air-dam?

I do not mind as long as it is just a creative Pic!!
Yea quite :-)
Strip around the air dam, well I think the actual one should be looking better
Dont consider this rookie paint job
Old 8th July 2010, 14:09   #294
BHPian

@chethan Vento do comes with chrome at front grill and front two chrome strips are kept as it is. I hope this accessory must be on cards.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:12   #295
BHPian

Quote:
3rd Gear can start from as low as 20 Kmph comfortably without stalling.
4th Gear can start from as low as 30 Kmph comfortably without stalling.

Both 4th and 5th Gear in Polo-Tdi is "Overdrive". 4th has a ratio of 0.97 & 5th has a ratio of 0.73 - Due to this reason, 4th Gear will suffice the need in City traffic.

Diesel cars with CVT usually do not have TurboLag. This is because, CVT will make sure that the engine spins above 2000 RPM, all the time, by choosing the right Gear for the speed. Manually Achieving this - is the key to drive any Diesel car with a Turbo charger. It can be easier with some cars - and it can be slightly difficult with the others.

All the best. Time to take a TD!!
Thanks again Chethan! I did test drive the diesel last weekend but the only distance they let you take the car is around the block and back; not even a second lap! So I was unable to judge. But of course now I have it right from the owner. So thanks again!
Old 8th July 2010, 15:42   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Yea quite :-)
Strip around the air dam, well I think the actual one should be looking better
Dont consider this rookie paint job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
@chethan Vento do comes with chrome at front grill and front two chrome strips are kept as it is. I hope this accessory must be on cards.
I will have a strip around the air-dam, as and when it is available.

I thought - Having both (air-dam strip & Double strip along the logo) is better than having any one. Or, having nothing is also good - looks sober.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:23   #297
Senior - BHPian

Polo Key Fobs with Remote.

After locking the car, one can operate the window-glasses of all the 4 doors from outside the car.
  • By keeping the lock-key pressed, all window-glasses will roll up.
  • By keeping the unlock-key pressed, all window-glasses will roll down.
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7090304.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p7090306.jpg
Old 9th July 2010, 11:54   #298
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. people should begin to learn making good cars.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:43   #299
BHPian

Hi Guys..!!

Talking about tyres,even the Trendline has got Tubeless.

Got a mileage of 18.15 (TDI )
80% City + 20% Highway

Regards,
Sachin.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:20   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Hi Guys..!!

Talking about tyres,even the Trendline has got Tubeless.

Got a mileage of 18.15 (TDI )
80% City + 20% Highway

Regards,
Sachin.
Thanks for clearing the doubt Sachinsumant! All this is because of our confident SP in Downtown-Bangalore!

Excellent Mileage!! Is this with AC?

How is your driving experience - City and Highway? How much does the TurboLag effect you - in terms of City Driving?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks