Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 15:26   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
...And the company always claims the best. If they say the top speed is 164 kmph, it is difficult to achieve that speed. When you say there is lot of reserve power at 160 kmph, I seriously disagree because if the top speed is 164 ( if we believe VW), then also there is not much headroom. ...
The top speed with this engine is rated at 170 Km/hr. One must understand that these will not be valid for each level of trim. The highline is heavier than then comfortline and therefore will take that fraction more time. I'd say Chethan's numbers are just what all other owners should expect.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:30   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beg to differ totally with you. I have checked out all cars as I have said but I guess you have not checked out the Micra personally.
I can absolutely guarantee that Micra is much more spacious than the Punto in the interior. Punto might be bigger in dimensions but that does not mean it is more spacious. Guess what, the Punto is bigger than the Jazz in external dimesions, does it mean that Punto got more space than Jazz?
Punto has a larger boot though than the Micra.
I checked out the top versions of all cars. Punto was the first one to be out due to interior quality and cramped rear ( my family members were not comfortable in the rear).
I20 is a different case - it is quite spacious. In terms of legroom, I do not think there is much of a difference between the I20 and Micra but I20 might have a little more shoulder room in the rear. But anyways, there are things like the steering,handling and weak AC in the I20 which was a deal breaker for me.
Here, I think, the question was about the interior quality and not which car is bigger.
And the I20 was a 1.2L engine..how is it bigger?

I haven't checked out the Nissan as we dont have a dealer here but I have seen the car in some other country while I was there where it was promoted as a gals car like what HH does to Pleasure !

I was talking about the diesels as this thread states about Polo diesel.

Nissan too get a 1.2 IIRC, a 3 pot. i20 get a proper 4 pot which 'should' be more refined than a 3 pot. Do correct me here if I am wrong.

Quote:
The 3 cylinder DOHC 1198cc petrol engine is rated at 75 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 104 NM of torque (@ 4,000 rpm). Idling is silent, refinement leagues ahead of an A-Star and there is hardly any rocking motion felt inside. You won’t think it’s a diesel idling (like in the Polo), yet some vibration (on the pedals, as an example) is evident. Low-rpm throttle response, say when moving from 0 kph, is ordinary. Don’t expect the torquey nature of the Hyundai 1.1 iRDE. Power really comes in only above 2,000 rpms. Above that point, it has enough pep by the segment standards. However, in the crucial bumper to bumper traffic range of 1,500 – 2,000 rpms, punch (torque) is weak. Further, the 2nd gear is so tall that it can touch nearly a 100 kph! The Micra's driveability is middle-of-the-road; it's nowhere as good as the Hyundai 1.1, nor is it as bad as the A-Star. Expect to use the gearbox judiciously to overtake within the city. When you want it to, the Micra can putter around town in 3rd gear @ 30 kph, or 4th @ 40 kph, without the engine lugging at all. Just don’t expect to close any gaps in traffic too soon when doing so. Start accelerating and the classic 3-cylinder thrum becomes audible. In fact, when being worked, it sounds identical to the humble Alto! Above 2,000 rpm, engine performance is acceptable; above 4,000 is where she likes to be. Overtaking slow moving vehicles on the highway doesn't pose too much of an issue. The 1.2 petrol will revv to its 6,800 revv limit, but as the rpm needle climbs, and past 5,500 rpms, it feels restrained and buzzy. The Micra's engine cannot hold a candle to the Maruti K12M engine (the segment benchmark).
From GTO's review,seems even the 1.1 from Hyundai does a good job than the Nissan's.

I only pray that they give us the the 1.5 Diesel from Logan and kill the competition
Old 14th July 2010, 15:44   #363
Senior - BHPian

Jk,
I own a Santro, so I do know the capability of the 1.1 engine!GTO is talking about the driveability here and not the outright performance. I have posted Micra's performance numbers in the 'Micra test drive' thread. And having driven the I10 kappa and the I20, I can assure you that the driveability of the 1.1 IRDE engine is anyday better than the 1.2 kappa, particularly in city. Check out the in-gear acceleartion numbers from smarcat's thread, you will know what I am talking about! So, the 1.1 from Santro is better than the the 1.2 Kappa, if you talk about driveaability. Let the numbers do the talking..
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-carperf.jpg
Old 14th July 2010, 15:52   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Over done? Eh? The competition is left to shame when one compares the specs and the beautiful engine!
Discussion was only on Interior quality, Fit & Finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
Hi all,

This thread has grown a lot since I last watched it. Great to see that. Amazing review by Chetan. Very detailed.

BTW, I got my polo petrol Highline on Friday the 9th of July 2010. Now I can see how justified chetan was in his review. And he is indeed. The car is just amazing.

I am stunned looking at the GC of this little car. I must appreciate it. I scarped it only once on a huge hump immediately followed by a huge ditch. Forget about cars, even a truck would have scraped that
Thanks Vinay! And congratulations to you too!

Now we know why you were busy!! I am waiting for your Review! Can't wait too long!

GC is excellent. Sometimes, I don't even slow down while nearing a hump!! If fact - GC & body roll, talks a lot about the engineering, that has gone in to making this car. It's amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
NVH levels have reduced since the time i bought it.
Sachin - Thanks a lot for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Congrats, as always post lots of pics.... so slowly Polo owners are increasing on T-BHP
Carfanatic007 - When are you getting your's? In fact, I am getting tired of seeing you waiting!!
Old 14th July 2010, 16:00   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I haven't checked out the Nissan as we dont have a dealer here but I have seen the car in some other country while I was there where it was promoted as a gals car like what HH does to Pleasure !

I was talking about the diesels as this thread states about Polo diesel.

Nissan too get a 1.2 IIRC, a 3 pot. i20 get a proper 4 pot which 'should' be more refined than a 3 pot. Do correct me here if I am wrong.

From GTO's review,seems even the 1.1 from Hyundai does a good job than the Nissan's.

I only pray that they give us the the 1.5 Diesel from Logan and kill the competition
Yes, the earlier gen of Micra was promoted a a girl's car but they have specifically designed this gen car to be unisex and equally appealing to both genders. I didn't know about Micra's history and I did not find the design girly but I found it cheeky and refreshingly different. Only when some people in this forum commented about feminine looks etc, I searched the net and found the history! Anyway, looks are subjective and Micra will have its share of haters and lovers. Some of the people who have booked the Micra are in touch with me through 'facebook' (all of them are unfortunately guys)and they too were unaware of Micra's history and didn't find anything feminine about the car! They were quite surprised when I told them about it.

Micra's engine is pretty refined as compared to other 3-cylinder engines like the Polo/A-star but I guess it will not be as refined as the 1.2 Kappa or the 1.2 K series. My objection was to the 'bigger' engine in your comment which is not true!

Anyways, since this is about the Polo, lets stick to the topic!
Old 14th July 2010, 16:05   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Carfanatic007 - When are you getting your's? In fact, I am getting tired of seeing you waiting!!
Well Chethan the wait is driving me nuts and the day I get my car I think I wont step out of it for a few days , actually its been 2 months since my booking so 1st week of Sept is the likely date, hope they don't mess it up, else I will go and buy any car that is available that day

Last edited by carfanatic007 : 14th July 2010 at 16:06.
Old 14th July 2010, 16:07   #367
BHPian

Really Great Reviews Chetan.!!
By constantly keeping updated by reading your reviews i was able to save by Bonnet from being scratched by the Driver Side Wiper.

Just got the Teflon Coating done @2800/- from a Maruti Service Centre,
VW quoted 4800/-.

Brgds,
Sachin.
Old 14th July 2010, 16:12   #368
BHPian

Hellp there "carfanatic007"
Believe me..its not that easy to do it in case of Polo.A Visit to the showroom tilts us back in Polo's favour.
I had thought of a lot of options ,when i was seeing the Figo's being delivered Left,Right,Centre..!!! .But finally went for it.
Although was lucky enough to get the TDI delivered on June 1st.

Rgds,
Sachin.
Old 14th July 2010, 16:20   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Well Chethan the wait is driving me nuts and the day I get my car I think I wont step out of it for a few days , actually its been 2 months since my booking so 1st week of Sept is the likely date, hope they don't mess it up, else I will go and buy any car that is available that day
I was just joking.

This feeling is so very common. I had similar thoughts in my mind, before delivery. Do not worry. You will get it on time. Just remember to start putting pressure one month before the due date.

Given a choice - I would sleep in the car even now!!
Old 14th July 2010, 18:16   #370
BHPian

Quote:
VW quoted 4800/-.
I asked the showroom guys regarding the Teflon coating and under-body coating and to my surprise; they didn't recommend it. Did anyone get similar kind of reply?

Their straight reply was "Everything has been taken care during the manufacturing". And they were confident enough to tell that.

If you ask them the process involved, they say, by the time the car comes out of the factory, it would have had 7 layers on it which includes protection against corrosion, paint job and it's protection.
And regarding the under-body, they have a metal sheet which protects the chassis (when the car is scraped against the humps and from mud water). which has also undergone anti corrosion process.

I really appreciate that attitude of the dealer.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:21   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
The top speed with this engine is rated at 170 Km/hr. One must understand that these will not be valid for each level of trim. The highline is heavier than then comfortline and therefore will take that fraction more time. I'd say Chethan's numbers are just what all other owners should expect.
The top speed can't be rated for an engine, it has to be rated for a car. When VW claims 164 and carwale/autocar says 156 kmph, how can you say 170 kmph? May I know the source of your information? Anyways, 5-6 kmph difference does not make a big difference and you can believe whatever you want to.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:46   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
I asked the showroom guys regarding the Teflon coating and under-body coating and to my surprise; they didn't recommend it. Did anyone get similar kind of reply?
VW dealer here in Pune, told me more than once to go for Teflon coating for paint protection.
But he didn`t advise for under-body anti-rust, he said this is already taken care by VW. Different dealer different version, very hard to believe who is correct.

Also, are you sure about the under body metal-sheet. Any owner, please confirm.
I am requesting this because, while checking the POLO, as soon as the SE opened the bonnet I could see the floor beside the engine. I was not sure why there is so much gap and the under-body is not covered up, and it may damage the electronics of the car.
The SE said the space is open for flow of air and to keep the engine cool. Anyways, it is still not clear to me. So, I am surprised he didn`t mention the chassis have a metal-sheet covering.

Congratulations Vinay on your Polo, wish you many many happy miles and awaiting pics
Old 14th July 2010, 20:42   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW quoted 4800/-.
I paid 7400/- for teflon, anti rust (underbody) and exhaust coatings for my Polo. Got it done in front of me before I got the car. There seemed a metal sheet, cant be sure though but we normally get coatings done on all our cars. Our 800 still stands perfectly fine after 10 years. The cedia too shows no signs of ageing and the swift we just sold was also rust free.

In between, I was told my Mitsubishi service person that there is no coating for exhaust, although an exhaust coating on the Polo was done in front of me. Also, I remember a Maruti service person insisting on engine coating, god knows what it is, but both VW and Mitsubishi service people told me that they are not good for engine so we dont do it and neither is it suggested by the companies. Again, God knows what it is.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th July 2010 at 20:53.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:11   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jk,
I own a Santro, so I do know the capability of the 1.1 engine!GTO is talking about the driveability here and not the outright performance. I have posted Micra's performance numbers in the 'Micra test drive' thread. And having driven the I10 kappa and the I20, I can assure you that the driveability of the 1.1 IRDE engine is anyday better than the 1.2 kappa, particularly in city. Check out the in-gear acceleartion numbers from smarcat's thread, you will know what I am talking about! So, the 1.1 from Santro is better than the the 1.2 Kappa, if you talk about driveaability. Let the numbers do the talking..
Attachment 387785

Thanks a ton for sharing this comparison. I had no clue that the driveability of the 1.1 Hyundai IRDe was this good (although I have driven the car quite a lot, but didn't have a 1.2 for comparision).

It is interesting to note the Fiat 1.2 litre engine's performance too. It's power output is one of the lowest among the 1.2's yet the in gear acceleration is at par or better than many (including Polo).

Also, I think that the 0-100 times are usually just academic, it's the in-gear times that really matter.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:33   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Also, I think that the 0-100 times are usually just academic, it's the in-gear times that really matter.
In-Gear acceleration is more important than the 0-100.

Most Viewed