Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 18:07   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
One obvious reason as to why the rear leg room of the Polo is not satisfactory compared to Figo or the Punto is that here in Germany, the concept of hatchbacks applies only to those people who are singles. Those with a family own a combi. I asked my colleague here who owns a Polo and he told me that it was more than 2 years since anyone had a chance to sit at the rear seat of his car. But this concept unfortunately applies only to the lifestyle of the western countries. Back home it is mostly obvious that a car is meant for a family. I guess VW got that wrong.

But should the rear leg room be increased, then what are the possible changes does the manufacturer has to consider? Does the entire platform be changed? Is such a change more expensive from the manufacturers perspective? Just eager to know!
I do believe this is applicable even for Punto. The rear seats of Punto sold in India are not that spacious and again many Picture of Punto sold in European countries are 3-door.

Vento looks to be spacious, built on same platform.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:11   #452
BHPian

But I guess Punto is much better with respect to the rear seat leg room than the Polo. If the Polo had atleast more or less the same rear leg room of the Punto, I feel that this car would be a deal maker. I'm convinced with most of the facts about this car from the very detailed thread of our friend "Chetan". But the thing that I could not digest is the rear leg room and the roof room on the rear. I'm 6'2 and often times I sat on my colleagues Polo, found it uncomfortable but never experienced it on a Punto from another colleague.
Old 30th July 2010, 23:22   #453
BHPian

Hi chetan, i have been reading all your posts regarding your polo.
I booked a polo 1.2 petrol highline in the 2nd week of July and mine is a long long wait till november!!

Anyways i am sure you must have realized that the OEM HU is not very good and the USB/Aux is indeed missed. I know there are many double din stereos which would do the job.But my point is none of them would match with the interiors. So what i thought was, i have seen (and researched quite a bit on the internet) that the OEM HU is same in almost all the VW range. This means that you should be able to install a HU from JETTA or even Passat in your polo. I am talking about those cool touch screen ones.

i did more research and managed to find out the model nos.
-RCD-510, this is actually offered as an upgrade in the UK POLO, so i guess we can be sure that it fits perfectly.

-Theres another one RNS-510 which has the navigator in it as well but i am not sure if it would be compatible with mapmyindia. plus it does have installation issues when retrofitted.

-Then there are some chinese alternatives like the Wayvel 6150 which have mixed reviews about them.

I infact inquired about replacing my HU with the RCD-510 from passat/jetta from the VW dealership in gurgaon. He said that he could get the HU but wont help me in installing it.
and the bad part was it costs around 55,000 (atrocious offical accessories!)

However , if you have someone in the US of A, you can easily get one for $300-400 thats right only 15-20k which is a bargain considering any touchscreen HU in india is upwards 40,000 and it looks gorgeous with the interior.

since you have the car i thought u might be able to somehow find out from a local audio dealer or even vw itself if RCD-510 can be retrofitted.

if u have time google about the following HU

Wayvel 6150 (Chinese Alternate)
RCD-510 (Official VW HU, made in China though!)

i think 15-20k for a touchscreen OEM HU is a bargain, if only it can b confirmed to be retrofitted...maybe u cab help us fellow bhpians

thanks
Old 31st July 2010, 01:13   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
I infact inquired about replacing my HU with the RCD-510 from passat/jetta from the VW dealership in gurgaon. He said that he could get the HU but wont help me in installing it.
and the bad part was it costs around 55,000 (atrocious offical accessories!)
what does 510 offer over and above the stock unit? Do you have the specs like PMPO etc??

What about Vento and Jetta coming with?
Old 31st July 2010, 19:41   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what does 510 offer over and above the stock unit? Do you have the specs like PMPO etc??

What about Vento and Jetta coming with?

check this link out:-

Differences between the Volkswagen RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RCD 510 and the RNS 510 | my-gti.com

i am unable to find out the model number of the HU in the polo. Anyways RCD510 is way way better than the stock and it goes with the car interior.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:40   #456
BHPian

Hi Chethan,

Quick question on behalf of my wife: Does the Highline come with vanity mirrors in the sun visor? Is it illuminated?

No mention of this in the brochure, so thought of asking you.

Thanks,
nowwhat?
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:43   #457
Senior - BHPian

No vanity mirrors in Polo.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:10   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
No vanity mirrors in Polo.
Thanks poloman. Now this is a dampener. I wonder why VW didn't provide this silly thing.

I just realized how important this is after posting in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
  • Must-haves and annoyances of women. Yesterday I saw my wife pull the rear view mirror to look at herself when she was driving. So I jokingly told her that the RVM in the Polo was fixed. She almost went berserk. Finally I had to say that not only can she move the RVM, but there should be a vanity mirror in the sun visor too.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:19   #459
BHPian

How about the spare part cost for polo tdi????Which other car would you compare it with to????

While taking a TD of polo tdi from one of the showroom in bangalore, the sales guy said its comparable to i20...

Btw I have seen somebody post a comparison chart on spare part costs of almost all indian hatchbacks here on tbhp.....If anybody has that, can you please point me to that link, since I was not able to find it now.....
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:36   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikshan View Post
Chetan, may be a silly question, but the AMC cover Labour costs as well? Can we assume that when a customer has taken AMC they don't need to pay anything (apart from any body works which obviously would be at our cost) when they take the car for service?

BTW, your thread has really shifted me to Polo from Punto . I am continuously following this thread for updates. I am planning to take my family for having a look at Polo and if they are fine with it then I will probably be booking a Polo TDI HL early next month.
Chetan,

Took my family to get them experience the Polo (Getting their comfort would be one of the decision points). My father is 6.1 tall and he found the Polo OK though not that airy as in Swift (in Swift he primarily uses front seat). My mother found the rear space very less and was trying to see whether she can find a comfortable way to get into the rear seats with the front seat adjusted to my comfortable position. My wife found the car very good. After test drive of HL TDI both of them but agreed that the car was very comfortable otherwise, be it the hugging front seat or the comfortable rear back rest. But they pointed out that 5th person in the rear would not have sufficient space. Still yet to make a decision because my mom was sort of OK and not comfortable with getting in and out the rear of the car.

One main thing which came up during the discussion with the SP, I wanted to confirm what are not covered as part of AMC. The SP and a senior SP confirmed that Clutch & Brake Pads does not get covered. It is understandably the wear & tear parts, which needs replacement after an interval, does not get covered in AMC.

Just wanted to keep that posted for the benefit of members. I am not used to AMC from other manufacturers so this may be a known fact too to other members.

Btw, I got another information from the SP. Sounded strange though would appreciate if there is such a mechanism to test. The SP said that in the event of a warranty claim for a clutch, assuming it gets worn out, service center would have an equipment to load a worn out clutch to test and if the results come out positive then they would replace the clutch in warranty (positive means manufacturing defect) but if the test results come out negative then they would not cover it under warranty. Any of our members are aware of such a mechanism or is it just a sales talk?
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:46   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
check this link out:-

Differences between the Volkswagen RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RCD 510 and the RNS 510 | my-gti.com

i am unable to find out the model number of the HU in the polo. Anyways RCD510 is way way better than the stock and it goes with the car interior.
This link is a very useful one. Thanks!

I will work on this one and get back to you.

Quote:
Hi Chethan,

Quick question on behalf of my wife: Does the Highline come with vanity mirrors in the sun visor? Is it illuminated?

No mention of this in the brochure, so thought of asking you.

Thanks,
nowwhat?
Vento has one! Thinking of getting Vento's sunvisor once it is launched!

Vanity mirror, Ticket holder, boot light, USB audio, seat belt alarm - are the basic things VW has not provided - Shame!

Back from the trip!

Bangalore - Hiriyur - Chitradurga - Bellary - Shimoga - Bangalore.

Chitradurga - Bellary road Via Challakere is excellent!! Enjoyed the drive!!

My observation:
  • Body roll - almost nil during normal usage. I was stunned!
  • Tyre Noise - Nil during normal usage. Highway twists done at a speed of 100 - 120 Kmph did not bother the tyres!
  • FE - 18 Kmpl - 80% highway : 20% city
  • Breaks are excellent! - Had my first scratch on my car because of this!
  • Turbo-Lag has reduced a bit after the Field modification done during last service!
  • Drive in city or on high way is far superior compared to my previous car - Spark.
  • Boot just swallows every thing!
Pics:

Air-out button I had mentioned earlier.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-air-out-button.jpg

Hatch has a slot in which we can insert the key and manually open it from inside (can access it by folding one of the portion of the rear split seat). Emergency exit!!

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-hatch-manual-opening.jpg

Between the road and the ramp, the level is low. This makes the bumper scrap the ramp!

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p8010356_1536x1152.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p8010349_1536x1152.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p8010348_1536x1152.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p8010347_1536x1152.jpg

In Shimoga, I had to apply sudden brakes to avoid a two wheeler, entering from a side lane. Another two wheeler, who was coming behind me, could not stop in time. Result!! :(

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-first-bang.jpg
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:52   #462
BHPian

ouch! man thats gonna hurt.
I hate when people behind you dont stop and therefore scrape the bumper!
got mine painted twice. :-(
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:57   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Between the road and the ramp, the level is low. This makes the bumper scrap the ramp!
This may be a common occurrence in my house as there is a steep ramp to come up to the house from the road.

I understand that the rear of the Polo does not have this overhang problem, so I wonder if negotiating these kinds of crossings in reverse (reversing into the driveway through the area in the picture) would mitigate this problem.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:44   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may be a common occurrence in my house as there is a steep ramp to come up to the house from the road.

I understand that the rear of the Polo does not have this overhang problem, so I wonder if negotiating these kinds of crossings in reverse (reversing into the driveway through the area in the picture) would mitigate this problem.
Yes. I did exactly the same and did not have any problem.

Just the ramp will not cause a problem. A dip before the ramp does.
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:15   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But then when you come out forwards, it'll hit.

Have it filled with concrete to reduce the ramp.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd August 2010 at 04:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks