Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 00:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Polo-Tdi FE!!!

Hi Guys!! Time to fulfill my commitments!

My trip to Kuppam was canceled. I had been to Hiriyur today. This is about 150kms from Bangalore on lore - Pune - Bangalore highway. I have crossed 900 kms on the ODO till date. My experience with the drive on the Highway was simply superb!! I could quite easily overtake any thing I wanted!

I think it is important for me to repeat certain things. As I had mentioned earlier, I used to drive a Spark. Spark has a peppy engine which is very good for city traffic. It is fairly good on highways also. People who have experienced it, will agree with me. I can easily say that my driving experience with Polo in city is much better. On highways - Polo is by far superior. I am throughly enjoying my ride!! Polo - Tdi is a very good car and I am sure that it will be a hugh success if VW plays it right.

FE:
  • I had filled 40 ltrs Diesel on the first day. today, before leaving to Hiriyur, I got another 10 ltrs. That Makes it 50 ltrs.
  • Initially reserve light had come-on at 40 kms on the ODO. That is when I had filled Diesel for the first time. Now with the reserve light on, the ODO read 890 kms. So that makes it 850 kms (890-40).
  • Out of 850kms, I have driven about 550kms on the highway and 300kms in city. AC was on all the time. That will be 65:35 (Highway:City) ratio. Couple of times I have kept the car on idle with AC-on for 20 mins each, since I was waiting for somebody.
  • That means - 850/50 = 17 Kmpl!! I would say this is fairly good for 40 bucks!!
Few things I would like to add:
  1. 80 KMPH in 3rd gear - 3600 rpm.
  2. 100 KMPH in 4th gear - 3200 rpm
  3. 80 KMPH in top gear – 2000 rpm
  4. 120 KMPH in top gear – 3000 rpm
  5. 140 KMPH in top gear – 3500 rpm
  6. 3rd gear can pull from 20 kmph
  7. 4th gear can pull from 25 kmph
  8. I have never been required to cross 4000RPM practically. There is no scope to do so on our roads. Atleast I could not.
  9. Even at 4000 rpm, engine is smooth and relaxed!
  10. How-ever we drive this car, I am sure that we will get a respectable FE.
  11. @ MPower - Engine does not shake when the ignition is turned off.
Accessories:

I got the IND number plate fixed at the dealership. Workmanship was pathetic. That guy has drilled a hole on the edge of IND logo, touching it. I was not happy. Got the other accessories done outside.

Body paint sealant ------------- Rs.3,500/-
Sun Film LLumar Platinum ----------- Rs.4,500/-

Chrome strips and Mud flaps ------ will be taken from the Dealer.
Foot Mats -------------------------- Rs. 1,300/- ---From Dealer.
Chamois leather car wash cloth ------- Rs.150.
Car Fresheners ----------------------- Rs.200 ----- From Dealer.

I still have to get 3M Scotch guard for my seats.

Tomorrow I am going to Shimoga with family. I will be visiting Sringari on Saturday. That is a bit of Ghat section. I will be back by Sunday night. I will post my experience on Monday. And a lot more Pics!!

PS: I was asked to compare Polo-Tdi, Punto, i20 and Figo. Some how, I am not comfortable. I do not think that I know a lot about the other three cars to be in a position to pass judgment. But if somebody wants to know what I noticed during my TDs, I can post it. Please comment.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:18   #92
superveloce

Hey buddy
Congrats on the really beautiful black polo.
I would strongly recommend that you do a tankful to tankful FE check. (thats neck to neck of your fueling nozzle)
Also 17.5kmpl is really good for a car which hasnt been serviced even once.
What was the MID mileage on that run?

Old 11th June 2010, 12:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
Hey buddy
Congrats on the really beautiful black polo.
I would strongly recommend that you do a tankful to tankful FE check. (thats neck to neck of your fueling nozzle)
Also 17.5kmpl is really good for a car which hasnt been serviced even once.
What was the MID mileage on that run?
Thanks Superveloce!

I will do it next time.

MFD will show avg FE during the run. It was showing 19.7 Kmpl on the highway. In the city it show about 15 Kmpl.

Instantaneous FE shown on MFD will even go to 27kmpl on highway. But it fluctuates if we come across any road irregularities. Also with a full tank this reading fluctuates a lot.

Gear shift indicator is very accurate. I am impressed!
Old 11th June 2010, 14:29   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Do you mean the bottom of the bumper?

Bumpers in Polo is of very good quality. It will not get damaged easily.

As far as ground clearance is concerned, I must say it is exceptionally good. I have not been able to scrape anywhere till now. That is, even after trying hard (jumped a few humps at 15-20Kmph)! That too in Bangalore roads!!
Yes I was talking about front bumpers, thanks
Old 11th June 2010, 18:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
ThisI have not really observed during shutdown. I will observe it tomorrow and post it. But, does it matter?
Not always. But important if they plan to implement the 'start-stop' feature which is an FE enabler.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:48   #96
BHPian

Congratulations

Hi CBG- Congrats for the car , was unable to trace this thread before...
Old 12th June 2010, 15:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve82 View Post
Hi CBG- Congrats for the car , was unable to trace this thread before...
Well i think i did write on this before... just saw that.. CBG , hws the Pearl Black doing?? I saw a white TDI in Delhi , it was a CL with alloys... found it rich... but i was ashtonished to hear the sound...it was alomst silent...unlike usual!! Also let me know if you get any info about the AC chrome and Air damp chrome.. I was not at all impressed with the VW-Chrome Strip Edge protectors..They are dull and puny.

Last edited by steve82 : 12th June 2010 at 15:40. Reason: Addition
Old 12th June 2010, 15:46   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

I do wonder at the principle of chrome protectors. It is probably softer than the paintwork, so, far from being a protector, it is likely to show wear more quickly. Possibly this might be why they make them dull, rather than high-polish chrome? I can't explain "puny", though!
Old 15th June 2010, 01:51   #99
Senior - BHPian

Polo - Diesel 1900 Kms Review.

Hello Friends! - At last - I am back!

Bangalore - Shimoga - Sringari - Shimoga - Chickmangalore - Hassan - Bangalore! - 56 Hrs!! - 1000 Kms!! - 55 Ltrs Diesel!! - 18.2 Kmpl with AC on all the time!! - It was a wonderful tour!!

But, extremely sorry! I forgot to take my camera! I do not mind if you guys feel like kicking me for that! I feel the same too! It was raining all through. So, camera would not have helped much. Any way...... By-gone is By-gone. Next time, I promise.

My car has done 1900 Kms at this point of time. Tomorrow, I am off to Mandya. Thursday to Kuppam. And after that to Chitradurga. At this rate, I am definitely in the race for the first service!! Oh Man! Did anybody say that "Driving is a great stress buster!!"

My observations on Polo in the last 3 day:
  1. After running 1500 Kms, engine has become a lot smoother. In cabin Noise has also reduced. My relatives in Shimoga, did not feel that the engine is noisy.
  2. With 5 Adults + AC, I did not have any problem in the Ghat section.
  3. Pearl effect Black looks Grey at night, when dirty!!
  4. After driving about 300 Kms with full load, Car suspensions have become smoother.
  5. Now, out-right acceleration has improved a lot - I rev the car to 3000 RPM in all gears before up-shifting, starting from 1st, and it rocks!! - I could leave almost all cars behind me!!
  6. A pillar does not cause much problem as in Spark.
  7. Brakes are superb! Could get a good feel of the steering. I feel very confident about it's response.
  8. Car bottom did not scrap through any hump - any where. But bottom portion of the front bumper, has a tendency to hit the road before the wheels, if the elevation is too steep and abrupt. (Eg: elevation near the gate of a building... Etc)
  9. Car has to be slowed down considerably for the suspensions to be in a position to negotiate the pits. Otherwise - Sudden expansion of the suspension coils give raise to a loud thud.
  10. To lift the front wind shield wipers - mainly on the driver side, wipers should be parked in the service mode. To do this, turn on the ignition on and then turn it off. Later, just depress the wiper lever once (Clock wise). Wipers will move and stop in the service position. Remove the key, and now, you can lift the wiper to clean it. After cleaning, put back the wiper in position before inserting the ignition key. (Explained in User-Manual, Page 92)
  11. Speed limit alarm is a good feature, and so is the Gear shift indicator. I was pleasantly surprised by its accuracy. It helps us to select the right gear - Thereby, we save on the fuel and also make sure that the DPF does not get saturated with unburnt fuel, which in turn reduces it's life.
  12. Average FE indication on the MFD: This is fairly accurate. In the city, it varies from 11 to 15 Kmpl, depending upon the traffic and the driving condition. On Highways, it varies between 17 and 20 Kmpl, again depending on the terrain. Under all circumstances, it is fairly accurate.
  13. Reserve alarm comes on when DTE is showing around 70 Kms.
  14. On a fairly elevated long straight road, in 5th gear, while accelerating, I could clearly make-out that the Turbo starts assisting from 1900 RPM. But on a cold start, while moving in the 2nd or the 3rd gear, we can feel the turbo attempting to wake-up at about 1700 RPM.
  15. Turning radius is quite large - Getting used to it.
  16. Side View mirrors are the best bet to take reverse, since rear view mirror visibility is restricted by the Back pillars and the head rest. It would have really helped if EORVM was available.
  17. Back seat leg space - Have not faced any practically challenging situation until now!!
  18. Could find lot of curious on-lookers where ever we went!! Some SUV's would get purposefully behind us to get a good view of the Polo!!
  19. Boot space is more than adequate for weekend trips.
  20. Fog lamps does its duty well by illuminating about 5 meters ahead and also on the sides. But the head lights does not inspire confidence. An upgrade could make it better.
  21. Horn!! - Excellent!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Not always. But important if they plan to implement the 'start-stop' feature which is an FE enabler.
Start-Stop feature on a Diesel car? Don't you feel that the disadvantages are more, then the possible advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve82 View Post
Also let me know if you get any info about the AC chrome and Air damp chrome.. I was not at all impressed with the VW-Chrome Strip Edge protectors..They are dull and puny.
Air damp chrome is very much available. You can get it from the VW Dealer. I agree with you on the Edge protectors. It might even trap water and cause problems. Not for me, for sure!!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 15th June 2010 at 01:59.
Old 15th June 2010, 06:54   #100
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back Chetan, Nice to know that you are munching miles and the car is holding on well with out niggles. Mind you, by this time most other cars would have gone for first service. Are you planning a routine check.
Did you fit the chrome strip for air dam?
Old 15th June 2010, 08:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Welcome back Chetan, Nice to know that you are munching miles and the car is holding on well with out niggles. Mind you, by this time most other cars would have gone for first service. Are you planning a routine check.
Did you fit the chrome strip for air dam?
Hi Poloman!

What do you suggest? Should I have a routine check? I was planning to get the first service done at 10,000 Kms. And after that follow the prescribed interval of 15,000.

I was told that Chrome strips would come next week. So, waiting for the same. I will check with the other dealer also, during the week-end.

Try to plan a trip with full load for atleast 100 Kms (Eg: Nandi hills..). That will do a world of good to the car's suspensions. Believe me.....
Old 15th June 2010, 08:13   #102
Senior - BHPian

Chetan, Even I am not sure, but it will be nerve whacking experience to wait till 15000Km for the first service. Will the dealer be ok with a free routine check at around 5000km? In that case we can wait till 15K for the first service.
Also please let me know where can we get 3M scotchguard?
Old 15th June 2010, 08:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, Even I am not sure, but it will be nerve whacking experience to wait till 15000Km for the first service. Will the dealer be ok with a free routine check at around 5000km? In that case we can wait till 15K for the first service.
Also please let me know where can we get 3M scotchguard?
Routine check at 5000Kms - Do you mean an oil change service? Otherwise, what do you think needs to be checked? May be - Air filter, under chassis examination, all liquid level check-up, ECU check for error log, and a wash - This is a good idea. But they may charge us for this. I will check this out.

3M scotch-guard used to be available in most automobile accessories shops. Will check and post it. Try Amway for Fabric cleaners - They have a few real good ones.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:20   #104
BHPian

@chethan, Just a curiosity have you ever thought for having chrome on windows just like in BMWs and accord. Are they available accessories with dealer too. I bet this would make Car looks more classier even better then chrome on front grill.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:19   #105
BHPian

Quote:
But, extremely sorry! I forgot to take my camera! I do not mind if you guys feel like kicking me for that! I feel the same too! It was raining all through. So, camera would not have helped much. Any way...... By-gone is By-gone. Next time, I promise.
You quite good in reading our mind , yes we do feel like kicking your b**t for this !!
next time no excuses . You got to take the camera , take some breaks and manage some pics .
Green scenery - straight roads - drizzle - Polo ; Its just picture perfect !!

But really good to hear the car performance on highway and the ghat section . Isnt it a nice feeling to wander in the roads and people noticing you and the car ? It become even more special when you need to spend only 2 rs for every Km that you drive

Quote:
To lift the front wind shield wipers - mainly on the driver side, wipers should be parked in the service mode. To do this, turn on the ignition on and then turn it off. Later, just depress the wiper lever once (Clock wise). Wipers will move and stop in the service position. Remove the key, and now, you can lift the wiper to clean it. After cleaning, put back the wiper in position before inserting the ignition key. (Explained in User-Manual, Page 92)
So much to be done to lift up the wiper ? engineering !!

Quote:
But bottom portion of the front bumper, has a tendency to hit the road before the wheels, if the elevation is too steep and abrupt.
Agree , but I dont think we can do much about it . Its just about being careful when you climb down

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks