Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 20:21   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
VW is providing AMC at the following rate:

3 Years - 45,000 Kms - Rs.19,900/- plus Tax
4 Years - 60,000 Kms - Rs.34,072/- Plus Tax

AMC covers Oil, Filters, Brake pads, Labor etc. But does not cover AC gas and wheel balancing/alignment.
Yeah, I too am confused about the AMC. First they say each service costs around 6K once a year or 15K kms. for Petrol or Diesel. Then they say, 3 year AMC is 20K + taxes PLUS it seems you have to pay the tax component of each bill (Not sure if I understood that correctly but I am pretty sure thats what he said).

In any case 6K X 3 = 18K, so why would anyone pay 20K upfront? Beats me.

I actually was under the impression that it was 20K for 3 years. I initially thought that you had it made with the amount of driving you do, but now after seeing the KM limit, I don't see how it makes sense for you too.

Quote:
Price for the 3rd Year Extended Warranty is yet to be announced.

I am planning to have AMC for 3 years and Ext-Warranty. In my case, AMC will be limited by the distance. What do you suggest?
I had specifically asked the sales exec. from VW Downtown BLR about the extended warranty. He said it is 5-6K (something like 5K + taxes) for 3rd AND 4th year for all Polos regardless of variant.

I think you should check on it, but I feel you would be able to take it anytime before the initial 2 year warranty is up.
Old 10th July 2010, 00:00   #302
BHPian

Hi Chethan,

Yeah,Well most of the new cars come with tubeless nowadays.
Fotunately VW hasnt changed the rules for polo !!

Yes,the Mileage was with 90% AC ON.(Tank Full method)
Havnt driven on long routes as yet,hope mileage would get even better then.
I mostly drive as per the gear change indicators.(Gear changing is the key)
and hardly go above 2K mark.Farthest have gone is 3.5 K.
Although love to rip it(Very much possible on the higher end gears),but there are lot of days to do tht..!Not so soon i thought..!!
So restraining myself as much as i can..!!
Whenever i am in a mood to rip,drive my friend's 1.6 Ikon.

Well prior to polo,had test driven only the FIGO,(In my opinion was the only other competetor),Swift(D) lost due to its small boot.Also wanted something new and built to last.

So compared to FIGO yes T.Lag very much exists,mostly in the 2nd,but once you get over it,all's fine.)
In the 1st Gear ,you anyways dont want to speedup and hit the next person's bumper.(One would anywys drive with only the clutch/brake)
3rd Gear is where i mostly drive the TDI and driveability is good.Comes down upto 20Kmph.
4th and 5th (Brilliant is the word).
And overtaking is not at all a problem with TDI polo.

Talking about Turbo lag,didnt really want a car with outright power,as the more you rip,lesser the mileage,otherwise would certainly have gone for Getz 1.5 CRDI.(I think it beats all in terms of turbo lag & power,if i am not wrong,not sure though.!!.)

Final word.
Yes Polo TDI has got a turbo lag,but that is compensated by excellent mileage,if one drives within limits.
A Car tuned for economy.

Regards,
Sachin.
Old 10th July 2010, 01:08   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Hi Chethan,

Yeah,Well most of the new cars come with tubeless nowadays.
Fotunately VW hasnt changed the rules for polo !!

Although love to rip it(Very much possible on the higher end gears),but there are lot of days to do tht..!Not so soon i thought..!!
So restraining myself as much as i can..!!
Whenever i am in a mood to rip,drive my friend's 1.6 Ikon.

Well prior to polo,had test driven only the FIGO,(In my opinion was the only other competetor),Swift(D) lost due to its small boot.Also wanted something new and built to last.

So compared to FIGO yes T.Lag very much exists,mostly in the 2nd,but once you get over it,all's fine.)
In the 1st Gear ,you anyways dont want to speedup and hit the next person's bumper.(One would anywys drive with only the clutch/brake)
3rd Gear is where i mostly drive the TDI and driveability is good.Comes down upto 20Kmph.

Talking about Turbo lag,didnt really want a car with outright power,as the more you rip,lesser the mileage,otherwise would certainly have gone for Getz 1.5 CRDI.(I think it beats all in terms of turbo lag & power,if i am not wrong,not sure though.!!.)

Final word.
Yes Polo TDI has got a turbo lag,but that is compensated by excellent mileage,if one drives within limits.
A Car tuned for economy.

Regards,
Sachin.
Fair enough, kindly share you decision making and ownership experience with us (perhaps on a separate thread). I would like to know why you chose the Polo over the Figo.
Old 10th July 2010, 07:43   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I had specifically asked the sales exec. from VW Downtown BLR about the extended warranty. He said it is 5-6K (something like 5K + taxes) for 3rd AND 4th year for all Polos regardless of variant.

I think you should check on it, but I feel you would be able to take it anytime before the initial 2 year warranty is up.
I agree with you 100%. Extended Warranty makes more sense. If possible, for both 3rd and 4th year. I will check with the Dealer. Thanks!

Quote:
Yeah, I too am confused about the AMC. First they say each service costs around 6K once a year or 15K kms. for Petrol or Diesel. Then they say, 3 year AMC is 20K + taxes PLUS it seems you have to pay the tax component of each bill (Not sure if I understood that correctly but I am pretty sure thats what he said).

In any case 6K X 3 = 18K, so why would anyone pay 20K upfront? Beats me.

I actually was under the impression that it was 20K for 3 years. I initially thought that you had it made with the amount of driving you do, but now after seeing the KM limit, I don't see how it makes sense for you too.
At the face value, when we calculate the service cost, what you say is correct. I have also thought about it.

To tell you frankly, I am not (100%) sure of getting in to the AMC. Right now, this is how I am thinking about it:

I have previous experience on AMC with GM, for my Spark. When I compare my service experience with Daewoo-Matiz and GM-Spark, I feel that people without AMC, will be charged more un-necessarily. Therefore, by the end of the term, we would have spent more money.

For example: Even the brake shoes are replaced more frequently then actually required, when one is not in AMC! This is my own experience.

Also, we look at only the scheduled service costs. If we have any minor niggles in between, Dealer will not have the moral courage to charge us for labor, if we are under AMC. After-all, if a customer has Warranty + Insurance + AMC, what else can he ask for? I feel that our expenses will be limited to this and can be well planned.

This is a good topic and can be further discussed. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Hi Chethan,

Final word.
A Car tuned for economy.

Regards,
Sachin.
I agree with you. Try shifting from 1st to 2nd above 2300 RPM. That could make it better. Just a couple of questions:
  • To what extent does the TurboLag effect Drivibility - in your case? I am asking this specifically, since you drive in a different City and in a different driving condition.
  • It is interesting to know the reason - for your decision to buy Polo over Figo. Can you share?
  • How much has the car run until now?
Old 10th July 2010, 11:19   #305
BHPian

Quote:
After locking the car, one can operate the window-glasses of all the 4 doors from outside the car.
  • By keeping the lock-key pressed, all window-glasses will roll up.
  • By keeping the unlock-key pressed, all window-glasses will roll down.
Attachment 383822

Attachment 383823
Wow thats a real useful feature especially on rainy seasons if one forgets to roll up the glasses. In Beat we have to get another extra device to get activated to this. German cars has got lot of useful add ons like this.

Regarding AMC, chevy offers like this.
CPCOO - Cashless Ownership Offer:
This is 3 years/45000kms maintenance package, with exclusions like: Accident repairs, Accessories, Car care/ detailing products, Tyre & battery etc.. This can be availed by paying Rs. 13499/- as a onetime offer. But if u drive the car extensively its useful else the normal maintenance cost will be less than this co's package.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:21   #306
Senior - BHPian

I did had a mind to have one in place of Ritz. But after studying the limited service centers and after using Tall boy car the height of the car looks short and feel it may hit on head Coz the gap between my head and roof is only 2". Not sure about the cost of spares. These are the factors keep me away from Polo. Can any one convince me on these areas.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:33   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Regarding AMC, chevy offers like this.
CPCOO - Cashless Ownership Offer:
This is 3 years/45000kms maintenance package, with exclusions like: Accident repairs, Accessories, Car care/ detailing products, Tyre & battery etc.. This can be availed by paying Rs. 13499/- as a onetime offer. But if u drive the car extensively its useful else the normal maintenance cost will be less than this co's package.
Thanks Sajjt! Let us consider the following 5 scenarios:
  1. 45,000 Kms are completed in 2 years
  2. 45,000 Kms are completed in 2 - 3 years, but within 3 years
  3. 45,000 Kms are completed in approximately 3 years
  4. 3 years are completed, but the vehicle has run > 30,000 Kms
  5. 3 years are completed, but the vehicle has run < 30,000 Kms
My case will be the first one (No. I don't run a Taxi!). What do you suggest? Also please comments on the other cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I did had a mind to have one in place of Ritz. But after studying the limited service centers and after using Tall boy car the height of the car looks short and feel it may hit on head Coz the gap between my head and roof is only 2". Not sure about the cost of spares. These are the factors keep me away from Polo. Can any one convince me on these areas.
I do not believe in convincing. I can only share the data that I have gathered, through my ownership experience, decision is yours.

I am a 6 footer. I have not measured the exact gap between my head and the roof. But, I have not had any problems either. My head has not hit the roof any time until now. I have been driving this car for the last one month. I will be posting a few pics WRT the rear seat leg and head room in a couple of days time, as mentioned in my earlier posts.

Please check my previous posts on this thread for cost of spares.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:43   #308
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi , I am also 6ft and recently had a chance to experience the Polo.I would say height would not be a problem at all.its only the knees and elbow.

Tall people are of two kinds 1,with tall legs and hands and short trunk(body) and 2, long trunk and normal length

in polo the 1 ones will have problem as the center console keeps obstructing your legs
Old 10th July 2010, 15:17   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sajjt! Let us consider the following 5 scenarios:
  1. 45,000 Kms are completed in 2 years
  2. 45,000 Kms are completed in 2 - 3 years, but within 3 years
  3. 45,000 Kms are completed in approximately 3 years
  4. 3 years are completed, but the vehicle has run > 30,000 Kms
  5. 3 years are completed, but the vehicle has run < 30,000 Kms
My case will be the first one (No. I don't run a Taxi!). What do you suggest? Also please comments on the other cases.
If you are running a taxi too its better to go for AMC
That shows you are a frequent commuter and sure taker too. AMC gives us peace of mind like you said, and if your odometer can reach upto 45K then its worth too. Does the brake pads covered under AMC?
Old 10th July 2010, 18:17   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi , I am also 6ft and recently had a chance to experience the Polo.I would say height would not be a problem at all.its only the knees and elbow.

Tall people are of two kinds 1,with tall legs and hands and short trunk(body) and 2, long trunk and normal length

in polo the 1 ones will have problem as the center console keeps obstructing your legs
For long legged people - Pull the seat back. Position the seat at it's bottom most level. Lift the steering rack up and pull it totally towards you. Lock the steering. Center console will not obstruct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
If you are running a taxi too its better to go for AMC
That shows you are a frequent commuter and sure taker too. AMC gives us peace of mind like you said, and if your odometer can reach upto 45K then its worth too. Does the brake pads covered under AMC?
Yes. Brake pads are covered in AMC. Even for an average user, if we consider 2,000 Kms per month as usage and calculate - It will be 48,000 Kms for 2 years.

45,000 Kms limit is on the lower side. It should have been 60,000 Kms. Then it would have been fare! (I mean towards costumers! )

Edit: One more important thing I forgot to point out - Cost of AMC for Petrol Polo & Diesel Polo are different. Further - The price I have mentioned is for Diesel Highline. TL and CL will be lower AFAIK. But, please check with the dealer and confirm.

Now, if we look at 20K for Diesel - Highline, it comes to about 3% of the invoice value. IMHO 3% per year for maintenance is fair enough.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 10th July 2010 at 18:36.
Old 10th July 2010, 18:55   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, if we look at 20K for Diesel - Highline, it comes to about 3% of the invoice value. IMHO 3% per year for maintenance is fair enough.
Sorry for the Typo!

It should read as - IMHO 1% per year for maintenance is fair enough.
Old 10th July 2010, 21:47   #312
BHPian

Quote:
I have previous experience on AMC with GM, for my Spark. When I compare my service experience with Daewoo-Matiz and GM-Spark, I feel that people without AMC, will be charged more un-necessarily. Therefore, by the end of the term, we would have spent more money.

For example: Even the brake shoes are replaced more frequently then actually required, when one is not in AMC! This is my own experience.

Also, we look at only the scheduled service costs. If we have any minor niggles in between, Dealer will not have the moral courage to charge us for labor, if we are under AMC. After-all, if a customer has Warranty + Insurance + AMC, what else can he ask for? I feel that our expenses will be limited to this and can be well planned.
If VW plans to provide service the way you say GM does, then Lord help us all.

We have been a Maruti car family up until now and we have never had to worry about these things. I have never had one single case where the dealer charged excessively (maybe a little more here and there but definitely no daylight robbery) or replaced things before they are due. In fact, I have usually been the person insisting on replacing some of the stuff.

Despite everything I may still go with the AMC just for the peace of mind. But I am very confused.

Chethan, since your service is due any moment, it would be of great help to all of us if you can get the individual service charge as well as the AMC charge in actuals. Maybe we should ask the sales execs at VW Downtown to explain why the AMC makes sense rather than us going around in circles.

Quote:
Edit: One more important thing I forgot to point out - Cost of AMC for Petrol Polo & Diesel Polo are different. Further - The price I have mentioned is for Diesel Highline. TL and CL will be lower AFAIK. But, please check with the dealer and confirm.
I am puzzled. I had asked about this and I remember clearly that the service charge for Petrol and Diesel is around 6K and the AMC for both is 20K. I had even asked that shouldn't the diesel be more and he replied its all the same. In any case I only looked at the petrol 1.2 then and I asked how much would the AMC be and he said 20K.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:05   #313
BHPian

Got this GIF file in a reply from VW India. Cool, huh?
Attached Images

Old 11th July 2010, 07:11   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Despite everything I may still go with the AMC just for the peace of mind. But I am very confused.

Chethan, since your service is due any moment, it would be of great help to all of us if you can get the individual service charge as well as the AMC charge in actuals. Maybe we should ask the sales execs at VW Downtown to explain why the AMC makes sense rather than us going around in circles.
My service is not due. Even the first service is done after 15,000 Kms! I am going in for a simple checkup at 5000 Kms. This is free. I expect them to check all fluid levels, clean air filter, check under chassis visually, check error log in ECU, rotate tyres if necessary, tighten all bolt/nuts if necessary.

I will enquire in detail with the manager, corroborate it with the schedules mentioned in the user manual and post it by next week. Also, since it make sense for me to take AMC, I will put in my money. Contract that comes along with it, will have all the details. I will consolidate every thing and post.

Quote:
I am puzzled. I had asked about this and I remember clearly that the service charge for Petrol and Diesel is around 6K and the AMC for both is 20K. I had even asked that shouldn't the diesel be more and he replied its all the same. In any case I only looked at the petrol 1.2 then and I asked how much would the AMC be and he said 20K.
I will try to get this information also. Can not always take SP's words for granted. Manager's words would be better. This is from my experience! Written document would be the right one, when it comes to facts and figures. But, right now, nothing is available in writing.

Quote:
Got this GIF file in a reply from VW India. Cool, huh?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 11th July 2010 at 07:22.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:45   #315
Senior - BHPian

Polo - Interior space - Pictures!

Driver leg space - With foot placed on clutch & brake. My height is 6 feet. I have adjusted the seat position & height, Steering rack & reach - to my requirement. My knee does not touch any thing. I have been driving in this position, from the past one month - without any problem.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-1.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-2.jpg

Rear leg room - I sat behind the driver seat, which was adjusted to my height. There is still an inch of leg room left. Should not be a problem for families, who have members under 6 foot height.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-3.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-4.jpg

Head room - Front and rear. There was about five inches gap between my head and the roof, in the front seat. However, when I sat in the back seat, there was only one inch gap between my head and the roof.

Rear head room is at a premium! So far, it has not created any problems. In fact, we had not even felt/noticed it. All my family members are less then 5'10".

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-5.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-6.jpg

Rear seat - Split folding option - Neat and practical. Other portion of the seat, can also be folded in a similar way. Parcel tray can be detached - if necessary.

Note: There is no difference in paint quality - Anywhere! - Top class!

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-7.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-8.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks