Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez
hi gaaij

good fun all in all.
odo reads 111430.

drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
Hello Sir,

Really nice to read your reports!

Did the alloys get bent? I was under the impression that alloys can not be repaired.. Kindly share some more details on the damage and repairs (pics if possible).

Also still waiting for the pics of your car post the 84k paint job. Kindly share some pics
Old 19th February 2012, 08:26   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: 165,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Did the alloys get bent? I was under the impression that alloys can not be repaired.. Kindly share some more details on the damage and repairs (pics if possible)
Though your question is directed to epicenter.rules, I'm sharing our experience.

Somewhere in the first quarter of 2011, our GP's front left alloys got bent. Though we could experience a slight wobble at speeds excess of 80km/h, we noticed the front left alloy's bent only while getting the wheel balancing and alignment done. Until then we're under that the assumption that the wobble had something to do with the wheel balancing or suspension components.

This is how the alloy looked like before getting the alloy repaired :

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-img064.jpg

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-img066.jpg

Few weeks down the line, we got the bent alloy wheel repaired for just Rs.450 from a metal and welding industries namely Madhu Industries near Calicut.

Initially, dad was against repairing the alloys as the process involved hitting the alloys with hammer as he worried whether it would damage the alloy further! That said, we went in search for used FIAT OE alloys. But, we had to opt against buying used alloys as majority of the sellers were quoting prices which were more or less similar to the cost of new OE alloys! We're again in two minds.

The endless discussions among us and with various tyre shops, ended up in the above mentioned alloy repairing centre, 35 kms away from our home. But, we forgot to take the alloy with us as we're travelling in our tin box aka Waggie! We're literally shocked to see an alloy(which had crushed into pieces) being repaired by him! Trust me when I say that the alloy after repair looked like as if it was taken out of the manufacturing plant! We just made our mind that we'll be getting the alloy repaired by him!

But, wait! That night we got a call from a tyre dealer that there is an alloy repairing centre which is just 15kms away from home! We changed our plans, once again!

The very next dad, as dad and me were engaged with work and studies respectively, we assigned the job of getting the alloy repaired (from the alloy repairing centre nearer to our home) to a driver whom we know for several years. But, he ended up visiting both centres as the first centre was closed.

Total distance travelled : ~ 100 km
Fuel expense : 100 * 4.2 = Rs. 420
Driver expense : Rs. 250

Total expense : Rs. 1120.

Notes :
  • 4.2 km per litre is the approximate running cost as we had taken the Waggie
  • The cost for repairing the alloys depends on the extent of damage. So, don't have a fight with Mr Madhu saying Klub Class got the alloys repaired from you for just Rs 450 (pun intended)
Mr. Madhu has done a great job! It took him nearly 3/4 hours to finish the job! We're able to get the wheel balanced with ease and the car is wobble free now!! Now, let the pictures do the talking!

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-dsc061621.jpg

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-dsc061641.jpg

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-dsc061561.jpg

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-dsc061631.jpg

All thanks to the FIATians for letting us know that the bent alloys can be repaired! Special thanks to Srikar Atluri and Shiva Sathiraju. You guys rock!

EDIT : The car must have run ~30k+ kms after getting the alloys repaired and we're yet to experience any problems related to the alloys, which is really a nice thing!

PS: I had lost the images I clicked due to HDD crash. So, I had to source the images from Team Fiat India forum and that explains the reasons for the watermark on the images.

Last edited by Klub Class : 19th February 2012 at 08:30.
Klub Class is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 09:16   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat

Hello Sir,

Really nice to read your reports!

Did the alloys get bent? I was under the impression that alloys can not be repaired.. Kindly share some more details on the damage and repairs (pics if possible).

Also still waiting for the pics of your car post the 84k paint job. Kindly share some pics
Autocrat paji,
Got it done exactly like klub klass has put it. Thanks kk for sharing the details. Only difference is that instead of hitting it with hammers, the guy here has some jigs and hydraulic jacks and hence no impact marks are visible. Charges slightly higher at around 550 bucks a wheel. Does the entire job on the lathe chuck with a magnetic reference point.

Will be taking the car for a nice wash today and if the time permits i'll be taking the pics and posting them today itself.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 12:53   #184
BHPian

Quote:
All thanks to the FIATians for letting us know that the bent alloys can be repaired! Special thanks to Srikar Atluri and Shiva Sathiraju. You guys rock!
Klub Klass, thanks for an excellent post! Saves a lot of money Fiats price per alloy wheel (INR 9990/-) definitely makes a strong case for repairs. 30k + km on repaired alloys negates the need to go for new ones
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 12:59   #185
BHPian

Quote:

Klub Klass, thanks for an excellent post! Saves a lot of money Fiats price per alloy wheel (INR 9990/-) definitely makes a strong case for repairs. 30k + km on repaired alloys negates the need to go for new ones
Exactly,
I'd one bent alloy at 84k when i got it repared.
Its been almost 30k for me too and it only requires periodic balancing.
I got two more repaired this time around based on the same confidence.
Besides that, the pics have been taken and i'll be uploading them in the afternoon
Take care all of you, always wear a seatbelt!!
Old 19th February 2012, 13:18   #186
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly,
I'd one bent alloy at 84k when i got it repared.
Its been almost 30k for me too and it only requires periodic balancing.
I got two more repaired this time around based on the same confidence.
Besides that, the pics have been taken and i'll be uploading them in the afternoon
Take care all of you, always wear a seatbelt!!
Look forward to the pics

I had booked a 90 HP in november 11 but had to cancel my booking as there were plans to go abroad on work (which did not happen). I am looking fwd to make a booking by March. Hope to get better discounts in March compared to Feb offer
Old 19th February 2012, 14:58   #187
BHPian

Gaaij,
Photos of the car for your viewing pleasure, if any!!

drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121408.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121420.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121431.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121444.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121456.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121516.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121527.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121605.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121629.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121640.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121652.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121708.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121719.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121734.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_121907.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_123517.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_123531.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_123554.jpg  

Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120219_123620.jpg  

epicenter.rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 23:14   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Gaaij,
Photos of the car for your viewing pleasure, if any!!

drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!!!
Thanks a lot for the pics!

Its hard to say this car has done more than 110000 km. A lesson on how to take care of ones car, indeed.

The number plate is not masked.

Again, thanks for sharing
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 00:21   #189
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the pics!

Its hard to say this car has done more than 110000 km. A lesson on how to take care of ones car, indeed.

The number plate is not masked.

Again, thanks for sharing

Thanks very much autocrat
Never masked no numberplate and thats why it didnt come to my mind while posting the pics.
Ive not done much to the car except getting it washed every weekend and interior cleaned every 30k kilometers or so.
Got it smartwaxed during the paint job at the 84k mark and thats about it.
But yes, one thing is for sure that the fiats actually have a very brilliant paint quality.
Thanks again,
Drive safe, always wear a seat belt.
Old 21st February 2012, 22:45   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
Thanks very much autocrat
Never masked no numberplate and thats why it didnt come to my mind while posting the pics.
Ive not done much to the car except getting it washed every weekend and interior cleaned every 30k kilometers or so.
Got it smartwaxed during the paint job at the 84k mark and thats about it.
But yes, one thing is for sure that the fiats actually have a very brilliant paint quality.
Thanks again,
Drive safe, always wear a seat belt.
Awesome Pics of Punto , Thanks for sharing.

We had booked Medium Grey punto on 4th Feb Expected delivery they informed as 20th Feb but as on today no hopes to get the delivery by Month end also , As they are now telling no Medium grey color in plant also. :

Now considering white color after seeing your car pics. As its available on immediate delivery.Could you please let me know how much it cost to make the tile lamps smoked. Is it safe ? does it visible clearly ? I loved smoked tile lamp photo .

Can anybody please tell where can we make tile lamp smoked , Since i am interested to make tile lamp smoked if its a White Grande Punto

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Smiley usage is restricted to TWO per post. Please refrain from adding more than two smilies in one post. Please read the Announcements carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd February 2012 at 09:55. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 27th February 2012, 12:31   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Awesome Pics of Punto , Thanks for sharing.

We had booked Medium Grey punto on 4th Feb Expected delivery they informed as 20th Feb but as on today no hopes to get the delivery by Month end also , As they are now telling no Medium grey color in plant also. :

Now considering white color after seeing your car pics. As its available on immediate delivery.Could you please let me know how much it cost to make the tile lamps smoked. Is it safe ? does it visible clearly ? I loved smoked tile lamp photo .

Can anybody please tell where can we make tile lamp smoked , Since i am interested to make tile lamp smoked if its a White Grande Punto

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Smiley usage is restricted to TWO per post. Please refrain from adding more than two smilies in one post. Please read the Announcements carefully before proceeding.
Hi Thilak,
Thanks for going through the thread.
In my opinion, white is actually the best color on the punto. Easy to maintain and the car looks really awesome once you have detailed it properly with every curve and angle showing the way it should. The light plays an amazing game of shadows with the white and every time you see the car, you fall in love with it.
About smoking the tail lamps, its not a major process but will take one entire day to do. It'll include removing the tail lamps, cleaning them up, prepping them for the paint, painting, drying and re fitting.
Charges vary from around 2000 bucks to anything the paintshop guys have in mind.
A good job should be around the 2000-2500 buck mark.
If youve gone through the entire thread, there are some pics with the taillights working and very nicely visible through the black tint.
Not only are they clearly visible during the day, they are also distinct during the night causing no hazards during driving and sudden braking.
Hope this helps,
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
Old 4th March 2012, 11:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post

The Headlight/Windshield switch was faulty and needed replacement, under warranty of course. My second switch, the first had failed similarly during the initial days of owning the car. An hour later the job was done and with a complimentary wash, I was off to office.

Off late, around the 103000 kilometer mark, I had started feeling that the car was again acting up on the start and idling part. The clutch was feeling quite hard and the gear changing was becoming difficult. I had to pull the stick out of the shifting gate and manhandle it into the gears I wanted.

Also replaced was a rear damper, under warranty of course and the door garnish for all the four doors, which too was under warranty.

The clutch remained hard and even the start and idle issue was pending but that would be seen in the next service which was only 2000 kilometers or 10 days away.

Bawa called me back in the evening. Everything was done and ready but the prime suspect in the clutch case was a problematic slave cylinder. Luckily a new retro fitment slave cylinder had just arrived and my car would be the first one it would be fitted in.
First of all congrats and the Punto looks to be in fine fettle. Thank you for taking the time out for such a detailed report.

However I have a question - being a person who read through your 2 lakh ownership review of the Swift diesel, it seems that the Punto has a few more reliability issues than the Swift. This is a apt case for comparison as:

1. you operated the Swift on a 20k oil change interval.
2. the driver remains the same so tha driving pattern also holds good.

I accept the fact that the Punto is a great drive. However I am trying to get more of the reliability and ownership peace of mind POV here.

A regular Punto owner would not have the great relationship that you have with your service center too which would mean that all the fixes would be cost options.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 4th March 2012 at 11:41.
Old 6th March 2012, 17:47   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mandeep,

An amazing ownership thread I must say. Your car has served you extremely well, but the real credit goes to you for the care that you have taken to maintain the car. The pics are a testimony to that. The car doesn't look anything more than 25K kms old.
Looking forward to your post & pics titled Punto - 2 Lac kms done !
Just one query I have: 86kms one way to office? Wow !!
Old 28th March 2012, 12:40   #194
BHPian

Hi Shibu,
thanks for going through the thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
First of all congrats and the Punto looks to be in fine fettle. Thank you for taking the time out for such a detailed report.

However I have a question - being a person who read through your 2 lakh ownership review of the Swift diesel, it seems that the Punto has a few more reliability issues than the Swift. This is a apt case for comparison as:

1. you operated the Swift on a 20k oil change interval.
2. the driver remains the same so tha driving pattern also holds good.

I accept the fact that the Punto is a great drive. However I am trying to get more of the reliability and ownership peace of mind POV here.

A regular Punto owner would not have the great relationship that you have with your service center too which would mean that all the fixes would be cost options.

Drive on,
Shibu.
My reply to your queries/doubts.

agreed. but the point there was that the car went out of warranty at 80k kilometers. here, the car is still under warranty till 150 k kilometers. hence the reason for sticking to the schedules.

the driver remains the same, but the ergonomics change and so do the drive dynamics of the car and a lot of other parameters, so adjustments and fine tunings do happen.

My entire log mentions whatever i've faced with the car and to be very honest, it is far better than the swift. opening up the gearbox every 35000 kilometers to change synchro rings was no fun at all, even though it was free of cost. the body doesnt rattle and whatever goes is replaced under warranty without any questions most of the times. my only trouble is the soft alloys. they just tend to bend and with me using softer rubber, the problem has compounded. ofcourse i got them repaired and im trying to drive like a gentleman but that usually doesnt happen every time

Not necessarily. What i believe is that once you are set on buying a car, its your moral duty to get in touch with the service guys and try to not only get to know the car better, but also develop a rapport with them. consenting with them on some problems (minor ones), gives them great confidence, and once you've won them over, its always a matter of the relationship and everything after that is chain reaction. their also knowing that the customer knows slightly about the car and has read the warranty manual helps in the long run. treating the group of guys who worked over your car to a sumptious snack of pav vadas or bhajiyas with chai at the canteen also helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hi Mandeep,

An amazing ownership thread I must say. Your car has served you extremely well, but the real credit goes to you for the care that you have taken to maintain the car. The pics are a testimony to that. The car doesn't look anything more than 25K kms old.
Looking forward to your post & pics titled Punto - 2 Lac kms done !
Just one query I have: 86kms one way to office? Wow !!
WAG7 paaji,
its just that the car is one fantastic peice of art. i agree to everybody elses points also that nothing is perfect, but once you start appreciating what you have instead of piling on complaints and begin looking for solutions, all your problems start ending themselves.
thanks for the appreciation showered on the car. yes, it has served me extremely well and it crossed the 1.18L mark today morning while driving to office.

Drive safe,
always wear a seatbelt.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 12:20   #195
BHPian

This is an excellent Ownership Review. Loved the entire thread. I have ordered a racechip for my linea and a GC kit installation is under progress as I am writing this. Do you recommend K&N air filter for Linea 1.3 mjd EM PK. The SS manager told me that this will not make much of a change as these are turbocharge engine and are very capable of pulling required AIR irrespective of air filter.

Most Viewed