Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 12:42   #1
BHPian

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.

t was well over 5yrs and 30,000km that I was driving my Opel Corsa. Now I wanted a big car as the kids were also growing and I have a joint family. My budget was 8 Lakh. I started looking for cars in this price range.

Vehicles Sortlisted and test Drive

1. Mahindra Scorpio LX -: I liked this SUV very much so I wanted to test drive it. I went to Narain Motors and I was given a test drive but I was not impressed with two things. The first is that the gear lever was very hard and second is that the suspensions were little hard. The engine was very responsive and powerful. Also I wanted a spacious car but Scorpio did not had much space. So it was dropped out.

2. Tata Sumo Grande EX-: For the test drive of Grande I went to Goldrush. They were able to give the test drive only next day. I liked its driving and its engine was also very powerful and responsiveness was also good. Though the gearshift was long but it was not a problem. After the test drive I had finalised that I will go for Grande.

3. Tata Safari-: Was outside my budget so was not in the list.

I took the loan of Rs. 3 lakh from Canara Bank. @ dayd later I paid the booking amount.

Colour Options-:

They told us that they had only two colours available. White and Silver. I did not liked the silver colour so proceeded with the white colour.

Delivery Experience-:

I was promised delivery on 15th October 2009. We went to showroom for the delivery. Delivery was made in a nice way. My whole family was also present. It is now exactly 7 months that the car is with me and has done only few Km due to my busy schedule. Next weekend I am planning to go for a trip.

Pros-:

1. Acres of Space
2. Powerful engine
3. Fuel effiency is good

Cons-:

1. Poor plastic quality
2. Panel Gaps
3. Long gear throws

Overall it is a good car and I am very much satisfied with its performance.

Till Now it has done 7000km. Now I am planning to go for a short trip nearby. I will post the pics as soon as I come back from the trip. I have done many trips. SOme of them are -: To Nainital, Agra, Dehradun and Almora. And also some city driving. But most of the times I use my Opel Corsa as it is easy to handle in city traffic.

Some Pictures-:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0295.jpg  

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0188-1.jpg  

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0306-2.jpg  

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0198.jpg  

HappyRoadie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 21:42   #2
BHPian

Well...... My ownership report continues. I had little problem when we were in Nainital in June 2010. I have already posted the problem in Technical Stuff section. Apart from this I am facing problems like Rattling Sound, Noise from rear suspension and the rubber lining on the roof coming out. Will get it replaced in the second service.

F.E. we got in highway with AC on-: I got a good FE of 12kmpl considering that AC was on and traffic we get on highways. In city I get around 8kmpl.

Driving-: Driving is very good but on high speeds it tends to bounce a little on uneven roads. That is why on uneven road surfaces I drive it very slowly. In my recent trips I loaded my car fully and the ride was comfortable.

Service Experience-: This is the part which has been the worst. The workers over there are not at all bothered. They take too much time to service the car and mess up the beige interiors with black marks. I have to literally point this out to them to clean it. I go on Sundays to get ther servicing done.

Seat Comfort-: I must say seats are very comfortable. The front and middle row seats are have good thigh support and comfort. The last seat is also comfortable but tall people will find lack of under thigh support.

Accident-: Few days after the purchase my car met with an accident. My wife was driving the car and suddenly an autorickshaw came in front of the car. My wife slammed the braked but the cars bumper hit the autorickshaw. There was a small crack in the bumper and a small crack in headlight. But it needed a minor repair so I got it done outside and not in the workshop. Till now(Touchwood) not many problems have occured.

Accessories to be fitted-: Till now I have only put on the seat covers. But the accessories which I have planned are

1. Front Guard. I am not wanting to go for a branded one but a local one whichever is available in the shop.

2. Reverse Parking Sensor. I need help as to which brand I should go for.

3. Fog Lamps. I think Hellas will be good.

Thats all I have planned. If there are any more suggestions then they are welcomed. I would like to know that this Sunday when I was pressing the clutch it was appearing that the clutch plate was sticking. Is this normal or clutch oil is less. Please help. I will post pics after I return.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Here are the images from the trip. Hope you like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0789.jpg  

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0790.jpg  

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0792.jpg  

Tata Sumo Grande ownership Report.-img_0793.jpg  

HappyRoadie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

@HappyRoadie, white is a good colour for your vehicle.

So you are facing issues with the quality of work in your service centre ! Please entrust your vehicle to a better workshop, even if it means travellling a little further to do this.

Wishing you a happy and trouble free ownership in future. Keep the updates coming
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:14   #5
BHPian

Yes I am thinking to go somewhere else for these problems though for servicing I will be sending to the workshop. I will keep the updates coming.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Here are the images from the trip. Hope you like them.
Nice review! Grande looks good in White. Did you check if the mileage will improve from the current 8kpl in city? With diesel prices going up, that might be a concern.

I saw a Qualis in one of your pictures. How about a quick comparo between the two?
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:16   #7
BHPian

Thanks Velum. I will not be able to do comparo as that Qualis is not my. It belongs to one of my friend. In one of my trips I had stayed over to his place and that is when I clicked his photo. If you want I can do comparo of Opel Corsa and Grande.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the report. Congratulations on you car, and I think it is a very wise choice. The Sumo Grande is a very practical vehicle, I wish Tata can improve the interiors a bit.

By the way, did you check out the Mark-II, if yes, did you notice a difference in interior quality?
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:39   #9
BHPian

Thanks Amartya. Yes Tata could have improved the interior design. They shoulg have changed the dashboard design at least. Within one month of my purchase Mark II was launched. I took a test drive and found following improvements.

1. Steering was smaller and had a nice grip.
2. Engine noise and NVH levels were much less than my Grande.
3. Suspension was soft and not hard as my Grande.
4. Body Roll was also controlled.
5. Though I found that space inside Mark II was less as compared to my Grande.
6. Under Thigh support and padding was good but not much difference from original Grande.
7. Plastic Quality was nice but again they could have changed the interior design in Grande Mark II.
8. The setup of leaf springs in Mark II was different as compared to original Grande.

These were the observations I made. I will post the pics of the leaf spring setup soon and also the interior photos.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks Amartya. Yes Tata could have improved the interior design. They shoulg have changed the dashboard design at least. Within one month of my purchase Mark II was launched. I took a test drive and found following improvements.

1. Steering was smaller and had a nice grip.
2. Engine noise and NVH levels were much less than my Grande.
3. Suspension was soft and not hard as my Grande.
4. Body Roll was also controlled.
5. Though I found that space inside Mark II was less as compared to my Grande.
6. Under Thigh support and padding was good but not much difference from original Grande.
7. Plastic Quality was nice but again they could have changed the interior design in Grande Mark II.
8. The setup of leaf springs in Mark II was different as compared to original Grande.

These were the observations I made. I will post the pics of the leaf spring setup soon and also the interior photos.

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback. It bodes well for the product. I was wondering whether you should ask the service centre, whether they know about the parts that have been changed. If they do, things like insulation to reduce NVH, suspension parts etc. can be retro-fitted. So that when (and if) you feel the need, you can replace the better bits one at a time.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:08   #11
BHPian

Thanks. When I was test driving Mark II I asked the Sales Agent about the improvements. He kept on saying that there is no major difference between original grande and Mark II. He said that the parts used are also same. I was also amused that there are vast improvements and he is saying that all parts are same. But anyway I will enquire about its parts when my car goes for servicing.
Old 11th July 2010, 09:57   #12
BHPian

Hello all, I have installed a front guard in my Grande. I have also replaced the horns with pressure horns. I will post pics of my grande with front guard soon.
Old 11th July 2010, 20:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Slightly late to congratulate you. But congratulations anyways. It looks good in white.

1. I dont know why you hid the number of Sumo in first pic and then later on decided against it.

2. About the accessories, you have already installed the front guard. Hellas is a good choice for fog lamps. But do remember to buy it from a reputed dealer.

3. Would love to see pics of interiors, if you can.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Excellent car. Its actually taller than the SAFARI. One magazine said it had the best last row seats, and yes the SAFARI engine
Old 12th July 2010, 15:28   #15
BHPian

@TaureanBull. I have posted the pictures randomly. I had edited some photos and so the first photo is edited and the rest are not. I will definitely post the interior pictures in a day or two. Regarding the front Guard I need some time as I am busy these days.

@TheArun. Thanks for the comment. I also feel that Grande is taller than Safari. But the ground clearance of Grande is less as compared to Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks