Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 22:19   #61
evo
BHPian

Rebuilt and Delivered. However, Holy Smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Could you give us some update on your engine status?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@evo: I am not clear what is being done to your engine. Is the block being replaced or cylinder liners? If block then the original block should not need to be machined (lathe etc...) and should come with liners pre-installed (this is also know as half engine overhaul in Maruti speak). If liners are being replaced then cost should be much lower. In either case so many days for machining is rather curious. I will check this up but in around Delhi the engine machining is typically a one or max two day job.

Secondly it can not be that one day it started giving lot of smoke. Were there any other symptoms like increasing oil consumption? Or over heating? If not then when was the last oil change before the symptoms? And from where?

The reason is that when engine starts to loose compression it is indicator of mechanical wear. It does not happen all of a sudden. UNLESS the oil it self was culprit. And this happening at such low mileage it self is a problem.

As far as source of problem being Petes box...it is better to writeto them and ask if they have any data collated on quick engine failures after installations? The ECM remaps work by changing air-fuel-timing parameters. It could be that engine ends up running very hot and this leading to failure of proper lubrication. Typically whenever the turbo boost / timing are fiddled with it is also recommended that you uprate you water cooling and oil cooling systems by increasing cooling surfaces and increasing pumping capacities.

While the damage and rebuild is undeniable fact what you do need to do is get to bottom of why it happened. This way you will end up achieving 300K distance on the rebuilt engine as promised by the mech ;-)

The car is back, shiny black. If not as good as new, then atleast as good as old !

The engines running fine though its slightly thrummier (?)

Two issues :

1) Lots and lots of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

2) The car idles at somewhat lesser than 1000 RPM. As soon as the AC compressor is switched on, the revs dip to about 800 and theres a slight tremor of vibration.

Also, its only been about 3 hours and 11 km since I got the car, so I dont know if there is a concept of teething troubles after a rebuild.

@Sudev : The block wasnt replaced. (Thats what the guwahati *** (literally) wanted to do. This was sent to the lathe.
Old 1st November 2010, 23:22   #62
BHPian

Change the air filter if not already done.
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:00   #63
BHPian

Evo ...This is a Fantastic news .......Hope all is well and things would be back to normal. Btw how much were you charged esp when the block has not be been changed ....Take care God Bless you.
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:51   #64
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
Change the air filter if not already done.
Hmm. Will check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivag View Post
Evo ...This is a Fantastic news .......Hope all is well and things would be back to normal. Btw how much were you charged esp when the block has not be been changed ....Take care God Bless you.
Thanks. I`m yet to be billed. Though lotsa dough has already been paid as advance.
Old 2nd November 2010, 07:06   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of black smoke is worrying. If it persists even after air filter check get the diesel pump recalibrated ASAP. Although with engine overhaul this is automatic and so should have been air filter. The old hangover concept of running engines running "rich" when new is not a good idea.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Lot of smoke is definitely a cause of concern.
But, since you have done only 11kms till now, I would say check after around 100kms.
Assuming it to be the soot deposit in the exhaust.

Was the fuel filter changed ?

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd November 2010 at 11:52.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:38   #67
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
A lot of black smoke is worrying. If it persists even after air filter check get the diesel pump recalibrated ASAP. Although with engine overhaul this is automatic and so should have been air filter. The old hangover concept of running engines running "rich" when new is not a good idea.
Sudev Sir, This was done as per the mech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Lot of smoke is definitely a cause of concern.
But, since you have done only 11kms till now, I would say check after around 100kms.
Assuming it to be the soot deposit in the exhaust.

Was the fuel filter changed ?
Bang on, see the attached pic, you`ll see the soot snaking its way on the workshop floor after they sprayed water on the exhaust while revving the engine.

According to the mech, the reason is accumulated carbon in the silencer box.

It seems he`ll need a day to clean it.

All this was this morning. Later in the day, the car dramatically lost pickup to the extent of not being able to climb a flyover with 3 people on board. Hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Elantra Crdi 76000 KM Engine Block Replacement???-elantra-soot.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2010, 16:17   #68
BHPian

@evo there is something that is not fixed right in your car, first black smoke now loss of power . Unless you have already paid the entire bill amount do not pay the bill until they fix all these issues. hope it gets fixed soon.

P.S i don't think petes box is the cause of the issue in your car. Because i have personally seen and driven fellow bhpian raj.barcode's peted elantra which has done about 68000km and is still butter smooth and i have not seen any other person push a car the way raj.barcode pushes his car. The only thing special in his car is he uses synthetic oil instead of regular oil.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:19   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Later in the day, the car dramatically lost pickup to the extent of not being able to climb a flyover with 3 people on board. Hmmm.
This is NOT good, did you notice if the engine temperature was climbing? Hope its not a partial seizure. Get it checked asap.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Later in the day, the car dramatically lost pickup to the extent of not being able to climb a flyover with 3 people on board. Hmmm.
Not a good sign.
Seems like a fuel issue. Did you change the fuel filter ?
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:39   #71
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
@evo there is something that is not fixed right in your car, first black smoke now loss of power . Unless you have already paid the entire bill amount do not pay the bill until they fix all these issues. hope it gets fixed soon.
Yup, not paid in full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is NOT good, did you notice if the engine temperature was climbing? Hope its not a partial seizure. Get it checked asap.
Bang on the money ! Engine temperature rose to the halfway mark between the halfway mark and the max heat mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Not a good sign.
Seems like a fuel issue. Did you change the fuel filter ?
Yup. As per the mech, yes.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:52   #72
BHPian

Elantra - Pete's

My black stallion Elantra has done almost 93000 with the Pete's Box fixed since 10,000. So far there has been no issues at all and even after the service engineer, due to lack of knowledge suspected the box to have brought down the performance (!!!), my confidence in it has never taken a blow. I have moved away from the stock filter to the Green Cotton and clean it in very regular intervals. At 93000, I don't see a reason to replace this car - however, during the last visit, my advisor suggested I sell at 125000. Asked him for what - he said suspension needs a replacement and the regular seemingly teeny repairs.

Can I get feedback from someone who has upgraded to Stage II on the box? How much more would you get out of it?
Old 1st July 2011, 15:43   #73
evo
BHPian

Re: Elantra Crdi 76000 KM Engine Block Replacement???

@Convival : No idea, my car ran on the normal petes box. Its now 82000 KM i.e. 6 thousand KM since the rebuild. The car feels slightly sluggish, not as new but humming along perfectly for a back seat car.
Old 1st July 2011, 18:04   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

I sold my Stock Elantra at 1,50,000 kms. It was running perfectly normal, a compression test some days prior to selling revealed the engine condition to be top notch, the mechanic at Hyundai ASC said it looked good for another lakh kms easily.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:01   #75
evo
BHPian

Cars radiator now has an issue and the AC has stopped working. Hmmm. The "sell or keep" decision?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks