Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 12:25   #1

My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report

Hi All,

This is my first post on Team BHP and I would to start off by describing the 20k ownership review of my Chevy Optra Magnum LT TCDI. I just can't descibe in words the pure exhilarating experience I get each time I get my hands on the wheel of my platinum metallic beauty. It's the car I've always wanted to own and it brings a smile to my face everytime I see it.

So, to start off, I bought my Magnum in the year 2008 and am absolutely satisfied with every aspect of the vehicle even after completing 20000 kms . I haven't had any major issues in this period except for the pulling on the left hand side which was rectified by replacing all the four tyres by GM ( freee of cost after covering 7k kms). I opted for the Chevy promise scheme which assures 75000 kms or 3 years of free service. So, its just fill , shut it and zoom.... and it's been like that till now, havent paid anything for any service.

The first thing which will strikes you when you drive this machine is the unbelieivable torque and accelaration it produces which is well advertised in many posts here. I've been getting a mileage of ~12 in the city and about ~14.5 on the highway with the A/C mostly on and I felt this really cool considering the power this rockets churns out.

I've driven about 60% on highways and 40 % on city roads during this period. I hardly feel any turbo lag even when driving in the city with lower gears, the car just seems to have the adrenaline rush right from the 1st gear and doesn't fade away as you move into 2nd and 3rd. On the highways I have never been overtaken unless I have opted to let someone overtake me and I've done quite a bit of highway driving (Bangalore to Mumbai , Blore to Pondi, Bangalore to Chennai, Bangalore to Munnar, Blore to wayanad, Blore to Rameswaram and recently Blore to Chikmagalur) and many more small to medium distance trips and each time the vehicle seems to be in high spirits and has never said no to a challenge on the road. I haven't installed the Pete's box and Green Cotton Storm filter as yet but plan to do so soon and I can't even start to imagine the mayhem this beast can unleash then.. just unbeatable !!!

I have loaded my car with quite a few gadgets which are very essential to me -A top of the line JVC - KV 386 in dash entertainment system with bluetooth, iPhone/iPod compatible, rear view cam& GPS navigation enabled. I also have an iPhone holder which fits both the iPod and my Iphone perfectly. JBL front component speakers, JBL amps and sub. I go the stock headlamps changed to philips 90/100.

Overall it's been a satifying experience right through the 20k kms and I plan to do many more miles in my Magnum OPUS.

Here are few pics of my Magnum
Attached Thumbnails
My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report-magnum-1.jpg  

My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report-magnum-2.jpg  

My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report-magum-inside1.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 28th June 2010 at 17:37. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post. Please refer the forum rules. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravi, thats a very nice beginning of your experience with your Optra.

What was the price you paid for it when you bought it in 2008?

Appreciate if you can throw light on your regular experience interaction with chevy folks and what was the cost for regular service or how much you paid for the chevy promise?

Keep updating this thread regularly and hope to see lots of pictures of your car/trips covered/anecdotes on this thread.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Appreciate if you can throw light on your regular experience interaction with chevy folks and what was the cost for regular service or how much you paid for the chevy promise?

Keep updating this thread regularly and hope to see lots of pictures of your car/trips covered/anecdotes on this thread.
Thanks mobike008!

The OTR price when I bought in 2008 came upto ~INR 1133191. They gave me free rubber mats and and corporate discount of INR 10,000.

I bought my Magnum from Vijai Motors Chevy dealer as it was closer home but their service was pathetic to say the least . I realized that they hadn't even completed the PDI before delivery. It was only when I brought to the sales guy's attn that he got the PDI done. I gave him a piece of mind for this irresponsible behavior and he apologized said we'll get the number board done free of cost as if that was any compensation to what he had done. Anyway, I assume he wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't enquired. Fortunately, Vijai Motors shut down their Chevy dealership for some unknown reason which was probably a blessing in disguise because their *** center was in Mahadevapura which like the other end of town for me and I'm not too keen on using their pick up n drop service. Since then it has been Sundaram Motors where I give my Magnum for service and I have found their Service Engineers to be fairly good. Atleast they listen to you and try to fix any issues. I had this "tik- tik" sound coming from the front right suspension and they said they would just tighten the shocks . I said no way you remove them and fix them back which they eventually did and it fixed the issue.

Infact, I even bought a Chevy Spark LPG for my wife in Dec 2009 from Sundaram and she is extremely happy the her little black beauty.

I will post more pics, the pics you see here are actually old one , I have since changed the number plates to the IND plates jst haven't found time to click pics but will click a few and post them shortly.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

On your question of how much I paid for the chevy promise , I didn't pay anything extra at that time for the chevy promise. It was being offered with the OTR price of the car. I havent paid anything for regular service either the chevy promise coupons take care of all the expenditures including air filter change , engine oil change etc.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:29   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the Magnum, Good that you opted for ABS version.

I still see you are running on stock tyres? how is the breaking & handling at high speeds.

Last edited by brraj : 29th June 2010 at 10:33.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Congrats on the Magnum, Good that you opted for ABS version.

I still see you are running on stock tyres? how is the breaking & handling at high speeds.

Thanks brraj!

Yes, the ABS and EBD are an absolute boon to have at your disposal. It has come to my rescue on several [COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]occasions[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR].Back in 2008, I was driving back from Pune to Blore and a truck with long trailer had stopped bang in the middle of the road (NH4) attepmting to do a U-turn (and this was at night) I was doing around 170 and had to brake hard but the ABS & EBD combination brought the maggy to halt w/out any issues but it was a close call.

Yes those tyres were replaced at 7,000 kms by GM as I had the left pulling issue. They are doing pretty good and handle pretty well even at high speeds. I had touched 205 km/hr on the pune-mumbai expressway and constantly do about 170 - 180 on the highways and they seem to handle quite well. There is a bit of road noise which creeps into the cabin and the handling can be better but I can live with it for some more kms. I am however thinking of changing to Michelins. Which ones would the best ? the PP2's or is there a newer option available? any advise on this would be helpful.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_ravi View Post
Yes, the ABS and EBD are an absolute boon to have at your disposal. It has come to my rescue on several occasions.
Magnum comes with ABS only but not with EBD, let me know?

Quote:
Which ones would the best ? the PP2's or is there a newer option available? any advise on this would be helpful.
Michelins - PP2s - not available, if you find u should be lucky.
PS2 - yet to come.

Yokohoma - Ad 07 - 205/55/15.

As for now Ad 07 is the best bet though you have to be a bit careful on humps/potholes.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Magnum comes with ABS only but not with EBD, let me know?

Michelins - PP2s - not available, if you find u should be lucky.
PS2 - yet to come.

Yokohoma - Ad 07 - 205/55/15.

As for now Ad 07 is the best bet though you have to be a bit careful on humps/potholes.

Sorry .. My bad it's the XPRO thingy not EBD which comes along with the ABS Optra Magnum India, Optra Car, Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel Car, India . Works well though

Thanks for your advise on the tyres. I will check out the Yokos and ask a friend of mine if he can source the PP2's, I've heard they are really good both in wet and dry conditions. Are Yokos equally good?
Old 29th June 2010, 12:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I will check out the Yokos and ask a friend of mine if he can source the PP2's, I've heard they are really good both in wet and dry conditions.
Yes PP2s are good tyres in both wet and dry conditions, If you can source it go for it.

Quote:
Are Yokos equally good?
Yokos AD-07s are better than PP2s but only problem is that they last around 25k kms, depends on your driving style. PP2s should last around 35k kms.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:18   #10

Got the Michelin Primacy LC on my Magnum

I was thinking for quite some time now that the Goodyear GT3's have to be replaced but wasn't sure of which tyres in need to go in for.

I finally decided on the Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 (stock size) . Some pro's which led me to go for the PLC's are:

1. Road Noise is almost Nil - I can only hear the growl of the TCDI and my family gave a thumbs up and they can feel the change almost immediately

2. Very Very Smooth Ride , you feel like the car is almost different in the way it rides. There is a sea change in the way the car feels and handles.

3. The Handling and cornering feels much better now with the PLC's . I feel confident in making turns at fairly higher speeds as compared to the GT3'.

Some of the reviews I read seemed to suggest that the side walls are softer and this means that I will have to be careful when driving on Bangalore Roads which are filled with potholes, pavements and high kerbs.

I wanted to know how the PLC's will perform at high speeds i.e 150 - 170. Anyone who has the the PLC's on their car can give thier feedback on this.

Thanks,
Bharath
Old 26th February 2011, 23:24   #11
BANNED

Re: My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report

Thats a nice review Bharat. So how is the car now? I see you haven't updated this thread since a long time. How is the suspension? is it firm or lose? What is the top speed you can drive this car on?
Old 15th December 2011, 23:41   #12
BHPian

Re: Got the Michelin Primacy LC on my Magnum

Hi Bharath,

I am considering the option of buying a used Optra diesel (125 ps).probably 2007 model.
Whats your opinion? How many kilo meters the engine will run with out issues. How is the maintenance?
I have a Innova and i am sure that it will run 5 lakhs KM wiht out hassle.
How is your car doing now?

Regards
Denny
Quote:
I was thinking for quite some time now that the Goodyear GT3's have to be replaced but wasn't sure of which tyres in need to go in for.

I finally decided on the Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 (stock size) . Some pro's which led me to go for the PLC's are:

1. Road Noise is almost Nil - I can only hear the growl of the TCDI and my family gave a thumbs up and they can feel the change almost immediately

2. Very Very Smooth Ride , you feel like the car is almost different in the way it rides. There is a sea change in the way the car feels and handles.

3. The Handling and cornering feels much better now with the PLC's . I feel confident in making turns at fairly higher speeds as compared to the GT3'.

Some of the reviews I read seemed to suggest that the side walls are softer and this means that I will have to be careful when driving on Bangalore Roads which are filled with potholes, pavements and high kerbs.

I wanted to know how the PLC's will perform at high speeds i.e 150 - 170. Anyone who has the the PLC's on their car can give thier feedback on this.

Thanks,
Bharath
Old 30th April 2012, 17:53   #13
BHPian

Re: My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report

Dear All,

I have just completed 20K on My Optra Magnum LT Petrol version. Had purchased the car in Nov 2009. Have achieved top speed of 155KM/Hr and have done about 20 trips (approx 4000Kms) on Mumbai-Pune highway with an avg fuel economy of about 12.5 ( includes driving in Mumbai and Pune Traffic). Have done Pune-Blr-Pune ( 1600Kms) with an avg fuel economy of about 13.5Km/Lt. Overall was really satisified but today first my biggest problem. While driving to work on the Western Express highway very close to the Goregaon flyover, my first and second gear got jammed... in terms of I was only able to apply 3rd, 4th and 5th. I could not do anything at that particular moment as it was peak traffic and came to the office in 3rd Gear. While I parked the car I observed that actually 3 gears were affected 1, 2nd and reverse. Standing helpless I waited for 10 mins as what is to be done and then tried again and it worked. All gears were now working. Took the car to a Service Center( Pandit Auto) in Andheri East and the mechanic claimed all was fine and if the problem persists the clutch plates have been worn out. At 20K this car has only been driven by me and no one else it is little suprising. I am still confused as to what is to be done and hoping it is not the clutch plates problem.

Most Viewed