Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 20:48   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
The i-gen 1.4 CRDI in i20 gets the Delphi injectors. No idea about older versions. However, in Verna it is the Bosch one.
The Bosch injectors are better as per my mechanic because it takes care of that dead torque which shows its ugly head @ 1000 rpm during steep inclines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post

+1 to that. I owned a vista quadrajet prior to i20 which had Bosch fuel system and the torque at idle was just awesome. Whereas the i20 feels more petrol like with lesser torque available at near idle rpms. This difference made me think of the tuning box but I guess the boxes are tuned for Bosch only. Which could also be the reason why they are available for Fluidic Verna.
I20 always came with Delphi common rail diesel . the 1.4 mill comes with Delphi and the 1.6 mill comes with Bosch. Dunno about other models.

Did not know that they had changed the air intake configuration in the face lift. Dunno if it has served any purpose.

And ya, tuning boxes are not designed based on which common rail system is used. If you used the Bosch common rail instead of Delphi the behavior of the engine would be same.
Old 26th December 2013, 21:23   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

3.5 years and 46000 kms later.....

Its been 3.5 years since we bought him home and its been pretty uneventful journey.Though there were few initial niggles there have been none over the past year or so . The car has been performing well and has always been reliable. Touch-wood. The RD dual channel box is performing up-to expectations and brings a smile on my face in P2 mode on open stretches. The sheer pulling capacity of the 1.4L mill in 6th gear even when fully loaded is something to be experienced in P2 mode. Have been able to extract 900 kms on a tankful which comes to 20 KMPL in P1 mode.

On the tyres front, the C Drives have been doing their duty silently(pun intended) and provide awesome grip on most conditions. Silent as a library at highway speeds of 100-110 kmph which is the usual cruising speed for me. They are silent till 140 kmph beyond which i have not tested and don't intend to do so either.The braking is phenomenal once warmed up. They have seen real bad roads and have held up well.

Got the 45000 kms servicing done and it turned out to be costliest servicing so far.The following were done

1. General Servicing
2. Front right strut replacement
3. Transmission oil replacement
4. Engine oil replacement
5. HID wiring harness installation for fogs
6. Caliper greasing front and rear

Total came to Rs.11,200

Engine oil was Delvac 1. I was told that the front brake pads need replacement but i deliberately did not change them because they still had some 5K life left on them. HASC changes brake pads even if they have some life left in them. And i20 diesel eats front brake pads for breakfast,lunch and dinner . The car is running on 2nd replacement set. The first one was @ 15K when there was still some life left on them. The second was @ 32K - again there was life left on them . So this time i decided to use the pads fully and not listen to the HASC. Will change them around 50K mark . Surprisingly the rear discs are still factory ones and can run another 10K easily.

A couple of rattles have cropped up here and there and i have decided to ignore them. The engine loves the fully synthetic Delvac 1 diet and remains butter smooth till 10,000 kms . After that it turns out slightly rough but no where as rough as a mineral turns as it ages!

The suspension remains the weakest link in this awesome package! Unfortunately there is no after market suspension upgrade available for i20 which is disappointing .

Signing off till further updates!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 26th December 2013 at 21:33.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 09:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3.5 years and 46000 kms later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
And i20 diesel eats front brake pads for breakfast,lunch and dinner . The car is running on 2nd replacement set. The first one was @ 15K when there was still some life left on them. The second was @ 32K - again there was life left on them.
I guess my car eats them only for lunch. The first one was changed at 30K and the second one at 70K. Even in my colleague's i20, it was changed only at 30K. Looks like your car is more hungry.

Quote:
HID wiring harness installation for fogs
How much did this cost? What fog lamps are you planning?
Old 27th December 2013, 10:01   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

I guess my car eats them only for lunch. The first one was changed at 30K and the second one at 70K. Even in my colleague's i20, it was changed only at 30K. Looks like your car is more hungry.

How much did this cost? What fog lamps are you planning?

Yes, that's why this time I want to use the brake pads till the end of their lives .

I already had HID in my fogs for more than a year . But the power was tapped directly from factory harness which I was not comfortable with. Hence had purchased a relay wiring harness off eBay long time back. Got it installed during service. The labor cost was 500 rupees
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, that's why this time I want to use the brake pads till the end of their lives .
I believe I may have a reason why the brakes in your car wear out so soon. It must be the RD box! I got the DC box installed in mine last week and this time it worked flawlessly. I noticed that the engine braking effect has reduced considerably in P1 and P2 mode when lifting off the throttle and the car coasts almost as if in neutral without much resistance. This looks like more work for the brakes to reduce speed. The pulling power is phenomenal in P2 though almost to the point of being scary at times! Also the engine clatters a bit more in P2 but bearable. Mileage seems sort of unchanged in P2 (have been using only this mode since it was installed) but yet to do a full analysis on this. Planning to check it out fully on all modes once I get used to the RD'd engine. Hoping I get a troublefree performance too like yours. Cheers!
Old 5th January 2014, 21:05   #96
BHPian

Re: 3.5 years and 46000 kms later.....

Quote:
Got the 45000 kms servicing done and it turned out to be costliest servicing so far.The following were done

2. Front right strut replacement

The suspension remains the weakest link in this awesome package! Unfortunately there is no after market suspension upgrade available for i20 which is disappointing .

Signing off till further updates!
Good to read that your car has been performing well and has always been reliable even after 45K kms.

Curious, why did you need to replace the front right strut? How much it cost to replace the front right strut? Was it making any noise?

Why did you mention, "The suspension remains the weakest link in this awesome package!" Any particular reason?

Asked about the strut since I have a Hyundai Getz and may be looking at replacing lower arm & suspension after 50K kms. i20 is the next gen Getz, technically speaking, hence asking.
Old 5th January 2014, 21:15   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post

I believe I may have a reason why the brakes in your car wear out so soon. It must be the RD box! I got the DC box installed in mine last week and this time it worked flawlessly. I noticed that the engine braking effect has reduced considerably in P1 and P2 mode when lifting off the throttle and the car coasts almost as if in neutral without much resistance. This looks like more work for the brakes to reduce speed. The pulling power is phenomenal in P2 though almost to the point of being scary at times! Also the engine clatters a bit more in P2 but bearable. Mileage seems sort of unchanged in P2 (have been using only this mode since it was installed) but yet to do a full analysis on this. Planning to check it out fully on all modes once I get used to the RD'd engine. Hoping I get a troublefree performance too like yours. Cheers!
Well that could be a possible reason for the brakes wearing out so fast.

And ya, congrats on the box. Let the box run for around 1000 kms and get adjusted to your driving style. Then it will be even better. So you got the replacement box installed is it? And no problem with the connections this time?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 5th January 2014 at 21:17.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:21   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

Good to read that your car has been performing well and has always been reliable even after 45K kms.

Curious, why did you need to replace the front right strut? How much it cost to replace the front right strut? Was it making any noise?

Why did you mention, "The suspension remains the weakest link in this awesome package!" Any particular reason?

Asked about the strut since I have a Hyundai Getz and may be looking at replacing lower arm & suspension after 50K kms. i20 is the next gen Getz, technically speaking, hence asking.
The strut was leaking. So had to replace it. Though it had seen quite a bit of bad roads and no roads did not expect it to pack up in 45k kms.

The replacement costs 2500 odd including labor

The suspension remains the weakest link because the car is fabulous in terms of power, interior quality, goodies. But it's a boat on not so good roads. Takes the fun out of driving . if the suspension was stiffer it would have been better.
Old 6th January 2014, 22:44   #99
BHPian

Quote:
So you got the replacement box installed is it? And no problem with the connections this time?
Yes, I got a replacement box which came in a sealed carton with all the accessories. This time round I noticed that the cable had a power lead which connects to the positive terminal of the battery. The earlier cable did not have that. That could have been the real reason for malfunction, not the box itself. And the connectors are real tight. I anticipate a hard time trying to remove the box before dropping off the car for service!
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:00   #100
BHPian

re: My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years

[Update]

The noise coming from suspension of my Getz, I had it checked at an independent repair shop. After inspection, was told I need to replace both lower arms & link rods. He showed it to me and it was evident that the rubber seals are wearing and were torn.

Once the car was lifted on the ramp, someone turned the steering wheels and we could actually have a visual & hear the noise coming from the lower arm, both sides.

Somewhere in the forum I think I did read, that now one can buy original Hyundai parts and have them fitted outside as the labor costs are much lower.

Any idea how much is the cost for lower arms & link rods for the Getz?
I'd like to know the cost of original Hyundai parts as well as after market parts for the above 2 mentioned parts.
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:54   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

4 Years and 52,000 kms

The car completed 4 years last week.

No major issues so far. The mile crunching has reduced since we have not undertaken any outstation trips in the last 6 months. Plain city driving.

Have to get the rear wiper assembly replaced since it is damaged.

Had an issue with excessive smoking with the RD box. Got the tuning done from RD and the issue has reduced considerably.

The rear bumper has got a lot of battle scars. Will be getting it painted in the next week. Following which there will be a full blown detailing session

Also have to get the oil filter changed since i plan to push the Delvac 1 to 15K kms. So will be changing the Oil filter only. Have lost a Alloy wheel cap. This plastic thing costs a ridiculous 850 bucks! Have to get that also.

Yoko C Drives have exceeded expectations. Just 2mm of tread wear in the last 16K kms. Going by this trend, it easily last 50K kms which is impressive for a soft compound tyre. Did a small test to check the grip. In a desolate private road, slammed the brakes @ 130kmph. The car stopped in a straight line in less than 150 meters with ABS+EBD doing the dirty work of braking . Pretty impressive!
Old 3rd October 2014, 01:46   #102
BHPian

re: My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years

My companion Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi Asta.
Dark Grey metallic
Bought on 23/9/2010.
Km on odo: 35km

Now 4 years of ownership
88500 km done
Total service expense till date: Rs.106523/-
Average mileage: 17.3 kmpl (70% City+ 30% Highway)
Still a work horse. But service expenses are way too high.My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years-img_20111121_100428.jpg

My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years-img_20120226_162020.jpg

My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years-imag21641.jpg
Old 6th January 2015, 22:28   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

60,000 kms update

Completed 60,000 kms last over during a long road trip of 1700 kms. Had to drive over some really bad roads for around 500 kms which resulted in the relapse of the infamous 'steering rattling' sound.

Got an average FE of approx 18 kmpl which is decent considering the kind of road conditions.

Got the 60,000 kms servicing done. The following were carried out.

1. Engine oil change (Delvac 1)
2. Oil filter
3. Diesel filter
4. Air filter
5. Steering rack yoke greasing(To address the rattling)
6. Left front strut insulator
7. Coolant change
8. Calliper greasing

The rattling noise is not completely gone after the greasing. There is still a light judder which is heard at low speeds when the environment is silent. Have to see and take a call .

This by far turned out to be the most expensive service till date , totalling to 12.5K . And this is strictly going by what is prescribed in the manual. It has even exceeded VW's periodic maintenance costs. Labour charges for tasks are really high. Looks like Hyundai is indeed becoming heavier on the pocket! Hyundai have revised the labour costs from Jan 1st 2015 !

The C drives took the bad roads without any incidents. I also hit some deep pot holes at 50+ kmph . No issues. touchwood! They have run 24K kms and look like they will easily last 40K kms . Happy with them! Although the road noise is well controlled on tar roads, it does get noticeably loud on concrete roads.
Attached Thumbnails
My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years-1.jpg  

My Beige Boy - Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi. Update: 60,000 kms and 4.5 years-2.jpg  

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 6th January 2015 at 22:40.
Old 7th January 2015, 09:44   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: 60,000 kms update

Quote:
6. Left front strut insulator
What was done on this?

Quote:
This by far turned out to be the most expensive service till date , totalling to 12.5K . And this is strictly going by what is prescribed in the manual. It has even exceeded VW's periodic maintenance costs. Labour charges for tasks are really high. Looks like Hyundai is indeed becoming heavier on the pocket! Hyundai have revised the labour costs from Jan 1st 2015 !
They have increased the labour rates again!! I guess they had increased the labour rates twice last year. My car's 1.1 lakh km service is due and guess there will be a deep hole in my pocket. I think it's high time to look for a FNG for services. Are you aware of any such good FNG? One of my friend has been servicing his i10 at Vishnu motors, Rajajinagar since long time and he is absolutely happy with them.

I really envy my cousin who owns a Tata Manza. He has bought a 4 year AMC package. It's almost 2 years since he bought the car and he is absolutely not spending anything on services. The rates of Tata AMC package is very reasonable. Why can't Hyundai come up with such packages when their customer base is increasing at such high rates.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 7th January 2015 at 09:46.
Old 7th January 2015, 11:50   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 60,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

What was done on this?

They have increased the labour rates again!! I guess they had increased the labour rates twice last year. My car's 1.1 lakh km service is due and guess there will be a deep hole in my pocket. I think it's high time to look for a FNG for services. Are you aware of any such good FNG? One of my friend has been servicing his i10 at Vishnu motors, Rajajinagar since long time and he is absolutely happy with them.

I really envy my cousin who owns a Tata Manza. He has bought a 4 year AMC package. It's almost 2 years since he bought the car and he is absolutely not spending anything on services. The rates of Tata AMC package is very reasonable. Why can't Hyundai come up with such packages when their customer base is increasing at such high rates.
The insulator, basically a hard rubber bush, present on top of the strut developed play because of which the strut was moving sideways. This was replaced.

Yea they hiked the prices again on 1st Jan. Should shift to a good garage for minor works! Have to start scouting for one. Where is this Vishnu garage you mentioned? Hyundai wants to milk customers. That's why no AMC package

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks