Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 19:10   #46
~~h
BHPian

Hi anshuman, we have a Punto in the family and I must say your review is spot on.

Yes the service is killing me too, We bought the Pertol Active a year back and I'm happy with the car except the service and spares.

Clutch Cylinder ( Recall part) : Got after 8 months.
A/c condenser ( Recall part) : Got after 8 months.
and this is after continuous weekly reminders to the service center guys.

Normal parts O/E seat covers, Antenna etc are also a pain to get .. I broke the sun visor ( thanks to the cheap plastic stalk instead of metal one in all other cars) and my search is on to find a spare.

But car is so nice it lets you forget all those...

Last edited by ~~h : 13th July 2010 at 19:17.
Old 14th July 2010, 07:33   #47
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
Hi anshuman, we have a Punto in the family and I must say your review is spot on.

Yes the service is killing me too, We bought the Pertol Active a year back and I'm happy with the car except the service and spares.

Normal parts O/E seat covers, Antenna etc are also a pain to get .. I broke the sun visor ( thanks to the cheap plastic stalk instead of metal one in all other cars) and my search is on to find a spare.

Thats pretty awful. Can you specify which dealer in Mumbai youve been interacting with ?
Old 14th July 2010, 12:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:

Which service center are you using? I am owning a GP myself since Sept last year and the TASC has been more than better for me. I have tried three TASC till now, namely: Fortune Powai, Galaxy Motors Mulund, Bharti Automobiles Jogeshwari. I am very happy with the TASC service. Recently heard even Wasan @ Kandivali is also doing good.
Old 14th July 2010, 13:18   #49
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Thats pretty awful. Can you specify which dealer in Mumbai youve been interacting with ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Which service center are you using? I am owning a GP myself since Sept last year and the TASC has been more than better for me. I have tried three TASC till now, namely: Fortune Powai, Galaxy Motors Mulund, Bharti Automobiles Jogeshwari. I am very happy with the TASC service. Recently heard even Wasan @ Kandivali is also doing good.
The sad part is my Punto is at hometown(Trivandrum); the other cars there are an SX4 and Alto and we are pampered by the Maruti folks.

Apparently I have contacted the Powai dealer for the said parts, even for seat covers (O/E Fabric one)they had to make a siebel entry with a week's waiting; whereas accessories like that are available off the shelf for any other maker.

Even I have no problem with the regular service; trouble begins when you have to source something other than standard consumables/filters.

BTW: Any leads to buy fabric seat cover in Mumbai?

Last edited by ~~h : 14th July 2010 at 13:20.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sad part is my Punto is at hometown(Trivandrum);
So that must be Kulathunkal motors. FYI there is one more dealership now open in TVM - Mohandas Motors.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:21   #51
~~h
BHPian

Thanks Sandeep, that's very good news. Kulathunkal was a pain.
Old 16th July 2010, 15:21   #52
BHPian

Great review by .anshuman. Its shocking to know that TATA-FIAT dealers are messing it up everywhere. I have a Punto MJ too. Its clocked 19,000 kms. Problems have started since the 2nd service at 15k. The car it seemed was merely taken, kept for a couple of days and returned.

As mentioned in the thread, I was charged Rs.326 for Part No.59063972 (Oil Filter). I was also charged Rs.2204 was Part No.570309110104 (Assy fuel filter) and Rs.3271 for 3.2 litres of Mobil1 Engine Oil. Can someone tell me if the charges for assembly fuel filter and engine oil are right? I discovered that the charges could be exaggerated only after reading this thread. My main concern was - and is - that my 3 complaints -

1. Noise from the AC
2. Noise from brakes
3. Wheel alignment and balancing

were to my surprise, completely ignored! When I gave a feedback at Fiat India, the response I got was quick and positive. They got by car picked up by appointment and promised to get it right. Again, my car stayed at the service center for 2 days, during which brake pads were changed and wheel alignment and balancing was claimed to have been done (since I got billed for the same). I was billed for the pick-up of the vehicle too which was supposed to be free! The problem is not this either.

The problem is that after I took delivery of the vehicle there was no work that seemed to be carried out on wheels. Brakes had stopped making noise, now that the brake pads were new. But new problems cropped up that never existed. When the car moves for the first few metres, there is a shrill noise from near the front right wheel. When the car is steered even when still, there is a loud drumming noise (a suspension problem according to the fiat guys - they had sent a 'technician' to diagnose the problems). And at speeds above 55 Kmph, the car makes a knocking sound as it moves - not loud but clearly audible. I have given a feedback at Fiat India thrice without any response from them over the last 10 days. The service center have been calling up, asking me to drop the vehicle but I am not very keen. Any idea how I can get it right? How can "Authorized Dealers" treat cars like this? I am pretty sure they have been given no proper training to deal with a new brand of cars, which ideally should have been the case. Fiat has really got itself into a mess with this alliance and not tying loose ends. I am not if they'll get out of it this time. But somebody get me out please!!

P.S. I would like to know what exactly does warranty of a car cover? Or what it excludes. I really don't trust these guys anymore with what they'll do or charge. Thanks a ton!!
Old 18th July 2010, 23:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If budget is not a problem, i suggest you to get a Philips HID upgrade kit installed. It just consumes 35watts and yet gives much brighter light, it looks good too.
How does the HIDs Look on the Punto? Do you have a photo of a Punto with HID?
Old 20th July 2010, 13:36   #54
BHPian

Got a call from Fiat yesterday apologizing for the inconvenience. I'll send the car to be worked on this week. But could anyone tell me what could be knocking sound? They didn't have a clue.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:50   #55
BHPian

Even I love every bit of my Punto except the long clutch travel and the pathetic stereo and and of course some plastics and fit and finish . I thought I have got adjusted to the clutch travel but after driving our Baleno and new WagonR last week I have realized I'm yet to get used to it. Major issue with this is I'm yet to find out a better seating position. I'm 5.7, I usually keep the driver's seat pulled back to a very comfortable position. In Punto if I pull it back to my comfort level I'm not able press the clutch pedal completely :(. Any one faced this issue? Any work arounds?
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:53   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks ~~h, even with this kind of service quality Fiat is more concerned at advertising their service excellence instead of doing something about it. Tata-Fiat guys have made it clear by now that owning this car in long term won't be a good experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
Great review by .anshuman. Its shocking to know that TATA-FIAT dealers are messing it up everywhere. I have a Punto MJ too. Its clocked 19,000 kms. Problems have started since the 2nd service at 15k. The car it seemed was merely taken, kept for a couple of days and returned.

As mentioned in the thread, I was charged Rs.326 for Part No.59063972 (Oil Filter). I was also charged Rs.2204 was Part No.570309110104 (Assy fuel filter) and Rs.3271 for 3.2 litres of Mobil1 Engine Oil. Can someone tell me if the charges for assembly fuel filter and engine oil are right? I discovered that the charges could be exaggerated only after reading this thread.
Thanks Concorde, Its not only you, after i posted the service charges on my initial ownership thread in Feb i have been getting PMs from fellow members regarding the same. To help other Punto owners from being overcharged i mentioned the part no.s and price of the parts for which Tata-Fiat Dealerships overcharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
How does the HIDs Look on the Punto? Do you have a photo of a Punto with HID?
I do not have any recent pictures of HID lights, please check my Initial ownership thread for the same. Link on page 1 of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Even I love every bit of my Punto except the long clutch travel and the pathetic stereo and and of course some plastics and fit and finish . I thought I have got adjusted to the clutch travel but after driving our Baleno and new WagonR last week I have realized I'm yet to get used to it. Major issue with this is I'm yet to find out a better seating position. I'm 5.7, I usually keep the driver's seat pulled back to a very comfortable position. In Punto if I pull it back to my comfort level I'm not able press the clutch pedal completely :(. Any one faced this issue? Any work arounds?
BMW i completely agree with you. The pedals are placed so higher up that i have to keep the seat pushed all the way back to be comfortable, at this position my arms feel uncomfortable holding the high set steering. I have been searching the perfect seating position since i bought this car, i adjust the seat position every hour. If i increase the seat height even a bit the seat rises from back and makes it slanted towards front robbing it of the little underthigh support it has.

In comparison both the Swift and i20 have much comfortable driving seat ergonomics. My Elantra has infinitely better ergonomics in comparison to Punto, there every thing is positioned where it should be.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting some random pics.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc255968.jpg
^^ The Picture speaks for itself.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc255969.jpg
^^ Gaps like these can be spotted in most places in Interiors.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc255971edt.jpg
^^The USB port is hard to access, The Blue&Me box makes the small glove box even tighter. The Glove box has lots of free play when closed. Fiat guys say this is normal.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc255974edt.jpg
^^ The Pedals are weirdly placed with toooo much travel, i have marked the position with yellow marker to show where pedals are normally positioned in other cars. Finding perfect driving position in this car is as difficult as attaining Nirvana.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc255975.jpg
^^ Another example of misfits.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc255976edt.jpg
^^ Even plastics in 2-3 decades old cars look better than these. Obviously Fiat guys cannot do anything about it, except applying some greasy shiner to make them look better for a day or two.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-pc265980edt.jpg
^^ The metal sump guard is a great job from Fiat. Its really really strong to withstand all kind of abuse, this picture was clicked after a trip to our farms.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-photo143edt.jpg
^^ Note the quality of materials used to suspend the glove box lid.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-photo144.jpg
^^ Sound quality has not improved much even after the switch to the JBL components, its the poor HU to be blamed.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-photo146edt.jpg
Even the seats are not fitted properly. All the seats in my car have problems, the driver's seat has too much free play, the front passenger seat makes squeaking sounds if not pushed all the way back, the rear seats are loose and make weird sounds at times.

The issues i have highlighted are not exclusive to my car, every Punto has same quality fit and finish till date. Only the dashboard plastic material was changed in Jan.

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd July 2010 at 18:12.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : We do NOT appreciate, and will NOT entertain, biased / fanboy posts. Discussions on this community must be kept STRICTLY OBJECTIVE, for the benefit of other readers.

We hereby advise you to read our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2010 at 10:58.
arun1100 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Very honest report anshuman. I have a few questions if you can answer them
1) Are there any rattles? I can do with slightly worse plastics but not rattles
2) Do you feel its underpowered when compared to your swift?
3) Do you regret buying the Punto over Swift?
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:02   #60
BANNED

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : We do NOT appreciate, and will NOT entertain, biased / fanboy posts. Discussions on this community must be kept STRICTLY OBJECTIVE, for the benefit of other readers.

We hereby advise you to read our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2010 at 11:01.
Sujith1100 is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed