Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 19:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, assuming that the air blower is open. But, a question comes to mind, if you dont have the AC switched on, why do you keep the air blower ON?
I guess it is a good practice to keep the blower on even if the AC is not used as it helps prevent dust from clogging the vents. I always drive with the blower in position 1 even if the AC is off- I don't want to be greeted with a gust of dust when I switch the blower on after a long spell of disuse--this used to happen in my non-AC M800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
This is what I have noticed on my RS, and may be it applies to the Cruze as well.

When the weather cools down or it starts to rain, even if my AC / blowers are not on and the vents for outside air circulation is open, the cool air comes in the cabin. And when its hot, hot / normal air comes in without the blower being on.
I guess this happens to all cars---the ram air gets in from the outside even if the blower is off.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:49   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Whenever i drive my Cruze in rains it starts circulating cool air even if the AC is turned off(but the blower is on).

I mean its like as if Cruze has automatic sensors to detect rain or wet climate and it automatically starts circulating cool air from the blowers. This happens everytime when its raining and its not a one off case. Also it doesn't matter if i turn on/off the ac, it just keeps on circulating the cool air. And whenever the climate is normal or its not raining it circulates normal air so there's nothing wrong with the AC as such. Inputs guys???
From which vent? What is your blower knob setting face/leg/front windsheild?

I think whats happening is that rain sensor is detecting rain and automatically turning on front windsheild defroster.

Feature would be on LTZ only because of the rain-sensors.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:19   #153
BHPian

Beat you to it.

Quote:
If you ask me what is unique about this Cruze then I can safely tell you probably mine is the “only” Cruze on TBHP which is a base version (LT Version).
Cheers,
Avinash
I beat you to it by a long margin. I had my Cruze LT delivered to me on 31st December 2009 at 11:30am. Here are few pictures of him as soon as he was unloaded from the truck at about 10 am in the morning on the 26th of December. I was totally floored that day as the guy did not have a speck of dust on him even after traveling from the factory to Ernakulam.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-dsc_0127.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-dsc_0131.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-dsc_0132.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-dsc_0133.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 11:18   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess it is a good practice to keep the blower on even if the AC is not used as it helps prevent dust from clogging the vents.
That applies only for cars that lie not being used for weeks together. We never do that. Besides, when you keep the blower ON without the AC running within a few minutes it becomes suffocatingly warm inside. Either you keep the AC running or roll down your windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Feature would be on LTZ only because of the rain-sensors.
I agree. I too think it could be due to the sensors or the climate control feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I beat you to it by a long margin. I had my Cruze LT delivered to me on 31st December 2009 at 11:30am. Here are few pictures of him as soon as he was unloaded from the truck at about 10 am in the morning on the 26th of December. I was totally floored that day as the guy did not have a speck of dust on him even after traveling from the factory to Ernakulam.
Congratulations Doctor Saab for being the 1st owner of LT on TBHP.

I completely missed out your ownership. Do you have a thread running here on the forum? If yes, kindly direct me to it. Also do share the latest pictures of your beauty please.

Would appreciate some key inputs from an LT owner would help. How much running have you done with your LT in last 8 months? Whats the city and highway average that your experiencing?

Any other inputs that you feel like sharing would be super
Old 13th August 2010, 11:18   #155
BHPian

@Avinash
I always keep my blower on at low speeds even if the AC compressor is not switched on. I keep it on for two reasons 1. As Vnabhi said to prevent clogging 2. To prevent suffocation.
@Mpower
The blower setting is always default i.e. front face position and i get air from all the vents. But i guess your explanation is logical that due to rain sensors it automatically starts throwing cold air for defrost. However next time when it will rain i will try to completely switch off the air circulation sys and will see whether the car automatically turns the defrost function or not.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:01   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, i have experienced the windows getting terribly fogged. Didnt know how to get rid of it? Any inputs and help on it would be appreciated.

There are two de-fog buttons not sure which one is for front window and which is for rear? Too lazy to read the manual.

Also, do i press the de-fog button and keep the cooling at COLD or HOT?
Any feedback on this please? It got quite irritating with all windows getting fogged thereby turning the visibility to near zero
Old 13th August 2010, 13:20   #157
BHPian

if the fog is caused outside the windscreen then press the defogger button and turn the air to hot. After some time it will clear up the fogging from outside. If the fog is caused inside then i guess just pressing the defogger would do i guess!
Old 13th August 2010, 13:37   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if the fog is caused outside the windscreen then press the defogger button and turn the air to hot. After some time it will clear up the fogging from outside. If the fog is caused inside then i guess just pressing the defogger would do i guess!
Thanks Ashish, Actually the fog is always outside and i confirm this by using my hand to wipe from inside but, nothing happens.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:59   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

In continuation to my previous post, wanted to highlight some features of this car that are new to me and feels good to have them

1. Immobilizer

As most of us know is an important feature to safegaurd your car. The engine does not start if its not cranked using the same key that i use. Since experiencing this feature for the first time, would love to hear if i can use my duplicate key if my original key is lost? If no, how can it be enabled so it remains on standy just in case something happens to the original key.

2. Auto Power Down after iginition is switched off

This is a lovely feature. You can roll up/roll-down your windows till about 10 minutes from the time you switch off your engine. I happened to come across this feature accidentally.

3. Cabin and Glove Box Lights

It was 2 cabin light switches ( one each for driver and front passenger), love the feel of the switch and it really brightens the interiors.

Apart from these two lights, there is the standard center light as you have in all cars.

There is an option to fit a reading lamp too which i feel is very useful if your being chaffuered driven. Well, i dont intend to be in any other seat except the driving seat, so didnt get it fitted. It comes for Rs.450 from Chevrolet which can be folded back to be hidden from view.

Glove Box when opened illuminates. Love that feature

4. Height Adjustable Seats

Its a manual feature and with minimal effort of pumping the lever on right side of driver seat, the seat can be adjusted to 3 different positions. I am right now on the top most position and will go down to the bottom most after a few hundred more kilometers.

5. Smart Screen

This screen is a wee bit smaller than the LTZ version but, displays all features of the car which can also be adjusted from this sytem. Makes you feel like a king!

6. Sunglass Holder, Center Console Space and Center Arm Rest

Nice spot of Sunglass holder right above the head on right of driver seat. Good quality of material too.

Center Console, just below the arm rest there is a huge space for keeping important items. This is where my car documents will reside.

Centre Arm Rest can be slide back and front so you can find a right angle for resting your left arm whilst changing the gears

7. Body Hugging Seats

I love the contour hugging seats which perfectly snug your body into the seat moulds and you feel right in place for a long drive.

8. Auto Boot and Fuel Lid Opening
Rampuri ( remote) comes with an auto boot release button and boot automatically opens upwards. Fuel lid can be opened with a simple "unlock" switch on center console.

By pressing this switch you can unlock all doors as well.

Another beautiful feature of the remote is you press once the unlock button, only driver side door opens. If pressed twice, all doors open. Simple but, neat feature.

9. ORVM are simply wonderful.

I noticed that in RVM inside the objects appear closer and when the same object is seen in ORVM, they appear at a distance. I think its a
good feature. This will ensure you brake in advance due to objects appearing larger in center RVM.

10. Other small stuff like nice visual display and beep sounds for seat belt and door ajar

As we know not everything is hunky dory with any car. There is definetly something that you dont like. And, i have following issues ( Minor ones) :-

Dislikes

1. Horn is placed in the center of the rather large steering wheel. It takes an effort to honk as the built of the center piece is quite sturdy. Horn itself is not too loud, its more like a squeak. Especially after my Accent and i10's aftermarket Root's Horn

2. When i take a fast turn i need to spread my legs wide to the sidewall for balance due to the overall width of the car. Its not an issue, just that need to get used to such a big and wide car will take little time.

3. Absence of a dead pedal. All car manafactures should be issued a mandate to implement it to safegaurd driver's tendons in their left foot.

4. Seat belt lock is tucked away at back left side of the driver seat. you have to practically hunt for it to fix the belt into the lock. However, the tension of the seat belt is very smooth and feels good to wrap it across self.

5. OE Music system does not come with a remote. Does it? I am afraid my usage of music system is so much that i may spoil the switches in near future. Any advice on this subject from Cruze owners?

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th August 2010 at 15:00.
Old 13th August 2010, 15:43   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since experiencing this feature for the first time, would love to hear if i can use my duplicate key if my original key is lost? If no, how can it be enabled so it remains on standy just in case something happens to the original key.
I think the duplicate key should also have the circuitry built into it. Or did you get the duplicate key without remote etc.?

Quote:
This is a lovely feature. You can roll up/roll-down your windows till about 10 minutes from the time you switch off your engine. I happened to come across this feature accidentally.
Yes, this is really cool and even the smaller cars are coming with this nowadays. We miss this terribly on Dad's Indigo but of course we've grown used to it now.

Quote:
There is an option to fit a reading lamp too which i feel is very useful if your being chaffuered driven. Well, i dont intend to be in any other seat except the driving seat, so didnt get it fitted.
It could be used by others. For 450 INR, esp. if it folds out of view, I think it's worth it. Every once in a while you tend to also drop something in the car from your pant's side/seat pockets and if it spills out of the front seat towards the rear, this light could come in handy. Of course, the cellphone's there too, but I would get it fitted.

Quote:
This screen is a wee bit smaller than the LTZ version but, displays all features of the car which can also be adjusted from this sytem. Makes you feel like a king!
Yes - loved this on the LTZ. So the LT has the same thing too? And is it adjustable using a knob on the indicator stalk?

By the way, one more thing I liked about the Cruze was having the indicator controls stalk on the right (right) side! It was a pleasant surprise from an American car and one that showed that there's at least someone up there who listens to an Indian customer and "localizes" the car suitably instead of just detuning the engine and raising the ground clearance.

Quote:
I noticed that in RVM inside the objects appear closer and when the same object is seen in ORVM, they appear at a distance. I think its a
good feature. This will ensure you brake in advance due to objects appearing larger in center RVM.
I didn't notice this but I remember thinking that the ORVMs, while small, provided a good field-of-view and were really useful. Maybe they're more convex than we see on other cars.

Quote:
4. Seat belt lock is tucked away at back left side of the driver seat. you have to practically hunt for it to fix the belt into the lock.
I observed this too. It took me such a long time and the sales guy and driver (in the back seat) were looking at me as if I was a newbie who doesn't know how to drive, almost! It was funny and embarrassing at the same time .

Quote:
OE Music system does not come with a remote. Does it? I am afraid my usage of music system is so much that i may spoil the switches in near future. Any advice on this subject from Cruze owners?
Two options - get the steering-fitted audio controls at the dealership if they can do it, or rip out the stock system and go aftermarket. I wouldn't do the latter because the stock ICE is so good in the Cruze. So try to get the former done, if possible.

Have a nice weekend drive to the forest, mate!

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th August 2010, 16:31   #161
Senior - BHPian

American / Korean

I have been enjoying this thread enormously due to the wealth of detail provided.

Both Mobike and Spadix have said that the Cruz is American. Though Cheverolet is an American brand (owned by GM), the Cruze is a Korean being a product of the erstwhile Daewoo facilities (GM bought out the Daewoo car business).

Mobike, can you please hurry up with your running-in! I am now quite desp to TD the WA. If you can please do the required KK km by Sunday - the road after Zaheerabad comes to my mind as the place to erm, erm, put the WA through its paces.

Cheers,
Old 13th August 2010, 18:38   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I think the duplicate key should also have the circuitry built into it. Or did you get the duplicate key without remote etc.?
I got the duplicate exactly like the original. (i.e) with remote control. So I reckon both keys should work without creating any ruckus.

Quote:
Yes, this is really cool and even the smaller cars are coming with this nowadays. We miss this terribly on Dad's Indigo but of course we've grown used to it now.
This feature is already present in small cars? Which cars that might be?

Quote:
It could be used by others. For 450 INR, esp. if it folds out of view, I think it's worth it. Every once in a while you tend to also drop something in the car from your pant's side/seat pockets and if it spills out of the front seat towards the rear, this light could come in handy. Of course, the cellphone's there too, but I would get it fitted.
I guess you right. Its worth having it inside just incase plan to do something else in the backseat other than reading

Quote:
Yes - loved this on the LTZ. So the LT has the same thing too? And is it adjustable using a knob on the indicator stalk?
Yeah, its adjustable using the knob which is on center console as its for LTZ too.

Quote:
By the way, one more thing I liked about the Cruze was having the indicator controls stalk on the right (right) side! It was a pleasant surprise from an American car and one that showed that there's at least someone up there who listens to an Indian customer and "localizes" the car suitably instead of just detuning the engine and raising the ground clearance.
You can say that again. That should be height of localization considering the earlier products weren't localized.

Quote:
Have a nice weekend drive to the forest, mate!
Thanks, hope to put a couple of hundred on the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have been enjoying this thread enormously due to the wealth of detail provided.

Both Mobike and Spadix have said that the Cruz is American. Though Cheverolet is an American brand (owned by GM), the Cruze is a Korean being a product of the erstwhile Daewoo facilities (GM bought out the Daewoo car business).

Mobike, can you please hurry up with your running-in! I am now quite desp to TD the WA. If you can please do the required KK km by Sunday - the road after Zaheerabad comes to my mind as the place to erm, erm, put the WA through its paces.

Cheers,
Well, I do know it has Korean roots but, I thought this particular product was built completely on a new platform ( American?).

Care to shed some more light here Ravvs?

I am enjoying the slow pace of running-in as they say na " Sabar Ka Phal Meetha Hota Hai"

Btw, tomorrow morning will be in New Mars? Will you be there?
Old 13th August 2010, 20:29   #163
Senior - BHPian

The oldest ancestor known to us is the good old Cielo, this was replaced by the Nexia briefly which in turn gave way to the Nubira. India never saw these two models (though one version of the Cielo was called the Nexia here). The Cheverolet Optra that GM brought here is also known as the Nubira/Lacetti.

Development of the Cruze started after GM took over Daewoo's car business. The platform was designed & developed mainly in Korea though it is called the GM Delta II platform. The Delta (original) platform was developed by GM before their Korean foray and the Opel unit had a major portion to play in that platform. In fact Opel seems to have become some kind of a captive D & E centre for GM. Opel's contribution in the Delta II platform is mainly in the finishing stages and they are credited with fine-tuning the engineering, refining the design etc. The Koreans are a totally hyper-active people and I guess this has been the main reason for their absolutely amazing progress. See the old Hyundai & Daewoo models and the present ones, they have learnt car making very very fast and the new gen cars they make are absolutely great.

The fact that the platform uses a 'torsion bar' rear suspension instead of a 'multi-link independent' rear suspension is seen by many as excessive (unnecessary?) cost-cutting and is the most common criticism against it.

KEYS: The cars comes with two keys, they are almost identical and are coded to de-activate the immobiliser. Some manufacturers do provide a 'marker' to distinguish the keys so that the seat & RVM pre-sets can be allocated between the two keys. These are known on the street as "king" & "queen" keys. If you lose a key, you will have to get one from the company who will code a blank to match it with the immobiliser (expensive). The immobilser systems normally track the ECU, key & the display panel in the dashboard. Only when all three of these items match will the car move. It can be a bloody pain sometimes!

Reading light: For rear seat shenanigans - you would want the lights off! LOL

Right/Left: I am totally confused as to which side is correct for the indicator/light combination switch. Of my two cars - one has it on the left and one has it on the right and I have always been told that both Skoda & Fiat have it on the wrong side!!

Now please, please finish your con-call, be a good boy & get into the WA and drive her all night @ ~2500 rpm on the ORR .

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 13th August 2010 at 20:45.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:07   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Development of the Cruze started after GM took over Daewoo's car business. The platform was designed & developed mainly in Korea though it is called the GM Delta II platform. The Delta (original) platform was developed by GM before their Korean foray and the Opel unit had a major portion to play in that platform. In fact Opel seems to have become some kind of a captive D & E centre for GM. Opel's contribution in the Delta II platform is mainly in the finishing stages and they are credited with fine-tuning the engineering, refining the design etc,
It is not published as to who did what, but based on the Germanic chassis feel, I would say its 90% Opel. Underpinnings same as the Opel Astra. The diesel engine comes form VM of Italy.

Last edited by Mpower : 13th August 2010 at 21:09.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:30   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That applies only for cars that lie not being used for weeks together. We never do that. Besides, when you keep the blower ON without the AC running within a few minutes it becomes suffocatingly warm inside. Either you keep the AC running or roll down your windows.
No siree---I was referring to running the blower without AC and keeping the windows half-rolled down. With the kind of pollution we have nowadays, it won't take more than a couple of days to accumulate dust on the AC inlet vents.

Quote:
@Avinash
I always keep my blower on at low speeds even if the AC compressor is not switched on. I keep it on for two reasons 1. As Vnabhi said to prevent clogging 2. To prevent suffocation.
+1 to your views, Asihsh. I guess you keep the windows partially down.

Quote:

Right/Left: I am totally confused as to which side is correct for the indicator/light combination switch. Of my two cars - one has it on the left and one has it on the right and I have always been told that both Skoda & Fiat have it on the wrong side!!

Cheers,
Well, they've set things right on the Linea and Punto---they are now in sync with the Laura

Most Viewed