Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 15:05   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Rajan, i bought an accessory cover which has indicator lights on it which is a cover on top of the ORVM for about Rs.2700.

I have no clue of cost for the ORVM assembly. I suggest you get hold of a copy of Autocar July'10 where Cruze spare part costs were outlined.

Having said that, 9K for a single ORVM is simply ridiculous.
Avi, welcome to the land of FIAT/ SKODA/FORD and other high maintenance cars. I'm sure your Cruze ownership will provide you enough excitement which was missing in your Hyundai Viva ownership.

BTW you shouldn't be shocked as Rs 9K is only 0.75% of the ex-showroom price of the car. For most 3 L cars the ORVM costs about 2-3k which is in the same proportion of expensive cars. Somewhere I heard that there are some cars for whom the total painting cost is about 5L. So point cribbing. Just enjoy the car and if need be use your insurance.

Disclaimer: The above post was made for comparison only and doesn't in anyway advocating driving slow or fast
Old 8th September 2010, 15:48   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
When asked with the dealership they say that the ORVM comes only as an assembly and the cost is Rs.9000 for one assembly

Has anyone faced similar situation? Can we get the cover alone somewhere?
This situation is definitely not unique. An ex-colleague of mine had (still has, I think) a Baleno. One of its ORVMs was smashed on the highway by another car. MASS wanted some obscenely high amount to replace the entire assembly. He got the mirror replaced (the casing/housing was OK) for INR 200 at a local garage.

Quote:
Having said that, 9K for a single ORVM is simply ridiculous.
By the way, 9k per mirror seems par for the course for this segment. I think that's Pride Honda quoted for the Civic's ORVM (w/ indicator) when I enquired.

Quote:
I have no clue of cost for the ORVM assembly. I suggest you get hold of a copy of Autocar July'10 where Cruze spare part costs were outlined.
I stopped buying auto mags a very long time back for a bunch of reasons but they do come up with these occasional gems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
BTW you shouldn't be shocked as Rs 9K is only 0.75% of the ex-showroom price of the car. For most 3 L cars the ORVM costs about 2-3k which is in the same proportion of expensive cars. Somewhere I heard that there are some cars for whom the total painting cost is about 5L. So point cribbing.
Well, the absolute value (and not relative/percentage values) are still very wallet-lightening, and that's the core issue .

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th September 2010, 15:48   #273
Team-BHP Support

Avi, congrats on your new acquisition! Somehow, i missed this thread and so didnt know you'd replaced your car.

Good to see you are happy with the new ride, and enjoying the experience. Between, has the Viva left your garage? orry i didnt read through the whole thread, only completed till Page 10. I'm lazy.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:14   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Well, the absolute value (and not relative/percentage values) are still very wallet-lightening, and that's the core issue .

Regards,
spadix
Thats why I say buy the Mahindra Bolero. Its goes like rocket even on bad roads and its ORVM costs only Rs 100/-(give or take a few)
Old 8th September 2010, 16:54   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
This beats the Octy's record of 8 K per ORVM!! I do remember that the Autocar issue showed Chevy cars having the highest maintenance cost in the concerned segment. Not sure of the Cruze and others in that segment though.
I am not sure how true is that price claim. Will check with KUN whenever i talk to them next.

On the contrary, Autocar mentioned Cruze ownership cost keeping the spare part cost pricing as the lowest when compared to Civic and Laura.

I need to visit Abids this sunday and buy that magazine and will post the comparison report here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Avi, welcome to the land of FIAT/ SKODA/FORD and other high maintenance cars. I'm sure your Cruze ownership will provide you enough excitement which was missing in your Hyundai Viva ownership.
Till now. Its been a smooth sailing and i dont think i will encounter that excitement in future. I trust my luck to a large extent

Quote:
I stopped buying auto mags a very long time back for a bunch of reasons but they do come up with these occasional gems.
I got a guy who comes home and gives all kind of magazines for Rs.150/Month. Besides, I never buy at Rs.100 as after a month or two. Its available for Rs.20 at Abids. I buy Auto magazines only for selected articles. This comparison is one such example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Avi, congrats on your new acquisition! Somehow, i missed this thread and so didnt know you'd replaced your car.

Good to see you are happy with the new ride, and enjoying the experience. Between, has the Viva left your garage? orry i didnt read through the whole thread, only completed till Page 10. I'm lazy.
Thanks Riju. Atleast you found out now. When will you take pictures of my WA?

Update:

Yesterday, went for a 130kms drive on Warangal highway. Weather was cloudy and raining ( From drizzling to light rain to pouring cats and dogs) and i truly enjoyed taking the WA to reasonable speeds and by god, those tyres stick to road like glue. Not a single time you get the feeling of car slipping out, skid, lose control or you feeling uncomfortable due to not enough grip.

Mommy dear was enjoying the drive to fullest extent as most of the road Uppal onwards was empty and maximum speed touched was 140kmph on a 4-lane highway as visibility was poor due to rain and with mom demanding me to slow down.

She mentioned yesterday that cabin is almost ghostly silent

Note: Feeling a vague and slightly weird thing. You feel safe till about 120kmph and after that car seems to be at really high speed as the ground rushes towards you and everything seems so fast.

I could be wrong and maybe feeling this because not finding enough open road to take it to some good speeds.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th September 2010 at 17:04.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:57   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Note: Feeling a vague and slightly weird thing. You feel safe till about 120kmph and after that car seems to be at really high speed as the ground rushes towards you and everything seems so fast.

I could be wrong and maybe feeling this because not finding enough open road to take it to some good speeds.
Dude, you need a drive on the expressway to airport. Drive down there for nothing but the open stretch of roads during the day time. Trust me, you will enjoying opening up your WA.

If not anything else, step out of the office for a post lunch drive. Expressway is not too far from your work.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ardy : 8th September 2010 at 16:59.
Old 8th September 2010, 17:00   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feeling a vague and slightly weird thing. You feel safe till about 120kmph and after that car seems to be at really high speed as the ground rushes towards you and everything seems so fast.
Typical of Hondas i thought! What do you exactly feel? I though Cruze's size will muzzle high speeds. Probably soft suspension?
Old 8th September 2010, 17:10   #278
BHPian

I think the feeling is more to do with your mindset. Its not yet tuned to reaching speeds above 120kmph in stretches where one would normally not be able to achieve those speeds in other cars. The Cruze aint a normal car!

Edit : Just realized , there could be another reason for this "lightness" feeling. Is it the steering feedback and nothing to do with the vehicle dynamics?. Ive heard that the power steering mechanism gets disabled after a certain threshold speed in some cars, maybe this is not present in the Cruze.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 8th September 2010 at 17:29.
Old 8th September 2010, 17:21   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Dude, you need a drive on the expressway to airport. Drive down there for nothing but the open stretch of roads during the day time. Trust me, you will enjoying opening up your WA.

If not anything else, step out of the office for a post lunch drive. Expressway is not too far from your work.

Cheers,
Your probably right. WA has not been on the ORR and PVNR yet. I reckon its time to take it there and see if that feeling replicates.

But, daily pictures in the newspaper of cars overturning in Hyderabad has put a phobia into me

Bentley on ORR
Indica in Jubilee Hills
Today, a Lancer totalled at Rd.No.1

Whew !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Typical of Hondas i thought! What do you exactly feel? I though Cruze's size will muzzle high speeds. Probably soft suspension?
Cruze suspension is not soft at all.

Its way stronger and firm than a Civic and i take most speedbreakers at a good speed and touchwood. I am yet to hit a speedbreaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I think the feeling is more to do with your mindset. Its not yet tuned to reaching speeds above 120kmph in stretches where one would normally not be able to achieve those speeds in other cars. The Cruze aint a normal car!
Haha! Arun, thanks for your kind words. But, i am not kidding but, do get that feeling once in a while.

It could all be due to my mindset, after all. Who knows?
Old 8th September 2010, 17:27   #280
BHPian

Quote:

But, daily pictures in the newspaper of cars overturning in Hyderabad has put a phobia into me

Bentley on ORR
Indica in Jubilee Hills
Today, a Lancer totalled at Rd.No.1

Whew !
Those were all reckless driving. Indica was a victim of a reckless driving by an Accord.

Don't speed. Just Cruise and you will really not realise the speeds that you can hit. A cruise at 120-130 on ORR is also really good feeling. Trust me.

Cheers,
Old 8th September 2010, 17:52   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I observed this feeling when I was riding pillion in a VW Passat and an Octy in Germany around a decade ago. Till around 160 kmph it felt like I could control the car, given the controls. At 180 kmph+ it felt like the ground was swallowing me.

Yesterday when I was doing 150+ speeds on the ORR I didn't get that feeling although I had to slow down because of the wayward movements of the dumper trucks, my own inexperience of driving at such speeds and the sudden vibrations I observed from the steering wheel.

By the way, I would like for you to try out the speedbreakers/inclines near Lingampally manned railway gate (BQ never scrapes on these, though they are very tall) and a couple of other ones in Kukatpally, Begumpet (the one where BQ lost the chrome exhaust tips) and one near my house (as I "climb" on to the NH9 service lane -- scraped this once very lightly when climbing at a certain angle even though I was the only one in the car). Numerically the Cruze's GC is 5 mm lower, so I would be interested in seeing how the Cruze performs here .

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 8th September 2010 at 17:55.
Old 8th September 2010, 17:57   #282
BHPian

Hey Cruzers,

A query, donno whether this has been answered before..

One of my friend got a Chevy Cruze (LTZ) and it is hardly 1 month old, and the ORVM cover is missing now, he doubts whether some one has removed when it was parked, coz according to his knowledge he has not met with any accident of any sort, and there is no damage to the mirror except the cover missing.

When asked with the dealership they say that the ORVM comes only as an assembly and the cost is Rs.9000 for one assembly

Has anyone faced similar situation? Can we get the cover alone somewhere? Since the car is Black, it does not look totally odd, but still he does not want to leave it as such.

Your suggestions pls..
Old 8th September 2010, 18:16   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, Autocar mentioned Cruze ownership cost keeping the spare part cost pricing as the lowest when compared to Civic and Laura.

I need to visit Abids this sunday and buy that magazine and will post the comparison report here.
Avi, while you're at it, could you also please look at the attached file (*) in this post and see whether Autocar has successfully managed to contradict itself?

This self-contradicting behaviour/reporting by auto mags was what made me stop buying them in the first place, and if I see another instance of that behaviour out of this exercise I will never ever buy an auto mag even occasionally .

(*) - Thanks to the whoever posted that file on TBHP originally and to vasoo for posting it on my BQ thread.

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th September 2010, 22:13   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Hey Cruzers,

A query, donno whether this has been answered before..

One of my friend got a Chevy Cruze (LTZ) and it is hardly 1 month old, and the ORVM cover is missing now, he doubts whether some one has removed when it was parked, coz according to his knowledge he has not met with any accident of any sort, and there is no damage to the mirror except the cover missing.

Has anyone faced similar situation? Can we get the cover alone somewhere? Since the car is Black, it does not look totally odd, but still he does not want to leave it as such.

Your suggestions pls..
I find that hard to beileve. If thats true, I am going to close them when driving in traffic conditions.

Quote:
Avi, while you're at it, could you also please look at the attached file (*) in this post and see whether Autocar has successfully managed to contradict itself?

This self-contradicting behaviour/reporting by auto mags was what made me stop buying them in the first place, and if I see another instance of that behaviour out of this exercise I will never ever buy an auto mag even occasionally .

(*) - Thanks to the whoever posted that file on TBHP originally and to vasoo for posting it on my BQ thread.

Regards,
spadix
I dont understand when you said Autocar is contradicting itself? Which other source you are referring to other than the one outlined in .PDF file for the side mirror ( Rs.4XXX )

I can't bear this suspense.

Let me find out the side mirror assembly cost from KUN. Keep watching this thread for this info tomorrow.

@Arun, i saw your edited post. It cannot be that reason as no manafacturer would be crazy to provide a steering that does not cut off/lower the power steering feel at higher speeds. Besides, it comes with Hydraulic and not Electronic Power Steering.
Old 8th September 2010, 22:25   #285
BHPian

Mobike, I had posted this question for you in the other Cruze ownership thread but it seems you missed it. If given an option today and after having owned the Cruze for some time, would you reconsider your decision to buy the vehicle in favour of some other vehicle? Specifically, between the Cruze and the Civic, which would you pick now after owning the Cruze for some time now that you know that the Cruze is not a perfect car and has its share of problems? The answer to this question will help me pacify myself and not make a decision in haste and I will try to tolerate the tantrums of the Chevrolet dealer in my city,

Most Viewed