Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 02:54   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why do we always have to compare?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hey Ravveendrra,
Nice to see you on the forum after a long time. In fact, your trip to AP has been very inspiring for me and has always kept my passion alive for the Laura.

Since you are probably amongst the most senior Laura owners and users here, can you tell me if the Laura is a comfortable 5 well fed adult seater over long distances?
Also, going by what you have, with your Laura, can you tell me if it can go to say, 90% of the places where a 2wd SUV can go?

And lastly, what have been your ownership costs so far with it and your happiness factor as well?

Thank you for your inputs.
Thanks Dev. Our AP trip had 3 adults and one child in a booster seat (that seat is wider than an adult). Unfortunately we did not think of photographing the rear seat with two well fed bags strapped in the centre of the rear bench. In that configuration it was very comfortable. Once on a trip to Mumbai (10 hrs) there were 3 adults and no one complained and all three slept through the night, that being said - I am sure it is not very comfortable, what with 6 elbows and 6 knees. On the other hand it would be cozy if the companions were right!

As mentioned in the AP 2 AP thread, the Laura took poor roads rather well and went pretty much where the SUVs went, not 4X4 territory though. Even fully loaded, nay stuffed, the GC was not an issue. We had trouble on the first few of Orissa's speed breakers at railway level crossings but, once we mastered the art of taking the speed breakers at an angle - no scrapes. Please remember the car was fully packed with clothes, food, tools, cameras, laptops etc. and we had to cajole the lid into shutting. I have never had the Laura scrape her belly on any of my other trips - to Pondycherry, Coimbatore, Chennai or Mumbai, Suryalanka, Vijayawada etc.

I have not tabulated the costs but can tell you off the cuff what I have changed in the past 4 years (about 55K km): 1. Battery, 2. Clutch and pressure plates, 3. Lower arm bushes, 4. One tail lamp, 5. Two Diesel filters, 6. Three air filters and one Green Cotton 'performance filter', 7. Two sets of tyres (the OE Dunlops became too hard after two years and were replaced by Michelin Primacy HPs. Two of the Michelins suffered extensive sidewall damage on the AP 2 AP trip so I changed the full set to Pirelli P7s). 8. Three pollen filters for the HVAC. 9. Two covers that fit next to the fog lamps. 10. One cover for the towing bracket at the rear.

Things that need attention: Two of the alloy wheels are slightly bent but will serve the purpose at the rear. The drivers' seat's electrics need to be checked after water went into the switches. The transparent covers for the turn indicators under the ORVMs need to be changed after motorcyclists bashed and broke the ones on the car.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil so the service interval is 12 months or 15000 km. and service costs between 5K & 10K. On long runs the car returns about 14 kmpl if driven at 140 kmph or above. The FE goes up to about 18 if driven with a light foot i.e. around 120 kmph (as Suren181 did when he drove from Gooty to Bangalore Apt.)

Happiness factor = . It is a very capable compact car. It is comfortable for the passengers and even after hours in it one does not feel fatigued, I can vouch for that as I have spent 10 hours or more (about 36 hours once) in the car. The car is easy and fun to drive. It is built tough - mine took down a milestone once and another time a rock hidden in the slush made some dangerous sounding noises off the belly, but the car did not suffer any damage.

Cheers,
Old 8th February 2011, 19:22   #497
BANNED

Re: Why do we always have to compare?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Happiness factor = . It is a very capable compact car. It is comfortable for the passengers and even after hours in it one does not feel fatigued, I can vouch for that as I have spent 10 hours or more (about 36 hours once) in the car. The car is easy and fun to drive. It is built tough - mine took down a milestone once and another time a rock hidden in the slush made some dangerous sounding noises off the belly, but the car did not suffer any damage.
Cheers,
Wow, that was one heck of a detailed reply. Thank you very much. I will indeed buy a Laura when I upgrade the next time.

Oh and by the way, how do you compare the GC and the rear seat space and comfort between the Laura and the Cruze?

Sorry but I m sure you would be the best person to answer this.

And yes, I do not intend to hijack this thread. It is just that Ravveendrra has seen and experienced both these competitors from close quarters.
Old 8th February 2011, 22:33   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
I have not tabulated the costs but can tell you off the cuff what I have changed in the past 4 years (about 55K km): 1. Battery, 2. Clutch and pressure plates, 3. Lower arm bushes, 4. One tail lamp, 5. Two Diesel filters, 6. Three air filters and one Green Cotton 'performance filter', 7. Two sets of tyres (the OE Dunlops became too hard after two years and were replaced by Michelin Primacy HPs. Two of the Michelins suffered extensive sidewall damage on the AP 2 AP trip so I changed the full set to Pirelli P7s). 8. Three pollen filters for the HVAC. 9. Two covers that fit next to the fog lamps. 10. One cover for the towing bracket at the rear
Wow! Ravvs, that looks like a pretty extensive list of items that were replaced/serviced over your ownership period. Most suprising part is changing the clutch and pressure plates so early in your ownership assuming you may have changed this in your 30K's or 40K's

Any rough pricing number you can attach to this entire list to get a fair idea of maintenance cost/kilometer?

Quote:
And yes, I do not intend to hijack this thread. It is just that Ravveendrra has seen and experienced both these competitors from close quarters.
Your most welcome to ask your queries here.

However, could not help but wonder how did you assume Ravveendra has experienced a Cruze from close quarters, as in driving it extensively to compare it fairly? I dont see him mention that anywhere?
Old 8th February 2011, 22:59   #499
BANNED

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
However, could not help but wonder how did you assume Ravveendra has experienced a Cruze from close quarters, as in driving it extensively to compare it fairly? I dont see him mention that anywhere?
Well, because he said something on similar lines in an earlier post of his and he is your good friend as well.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:18   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. . . . . . . . It is just that Ravveendrra has seen and experienced both these competitors from close quarters.
No, I have had no such luck!

I know my car pretty well but have no more than a passing acquaintance with a Cruz.

Quote:
Wow! Ravvs, that looks like a pretty extensive list of items that were replaced/serviced over your ownership period. Most suprising part is changing the clutch and pressure plates so early in your ownership assuming you may have changed this in your 30K's or 40K's

Any rough pricing number you can attach to this entire list to get a fair idea of maintenance cost/kilometer?
. . . .
The filters are changed as per service schedule. The Green Cotton I junked once I saw the dust it let pass. The headlight bulb was an aftermarket 100W, the OE bulb went back in. The clutch was the surprising bit and I changed it around 20K though the *** and independent said it was not necessary and would last at least another 10K to 20K Km. I noticed that it sometimes slipped beyond 3500 rpm. (never below). I think the clutch gave way because of the bad habits my left foot picked up over the years - since then I have disciplined my left leg.

I will have to hunt out the bills.

Quote:
Well, because he said something on similar lines in an earlier post of his and he is your good friend as well.
No Dev, I never did say I have extensive experience with the Cruz. I saw the car from close quarters but have not really driven it. Mobike might be a good friend but I do not live in his car! In fact I have never driven the WA.
Old 12th February 2011, 14:33   #501
BHPian

I've got news from a chevrolet dealer that from 19th february all cruze will be delivered in beige colours and discontinue grey interiors.
Any news on this?
Old 12th February 2011, 19:13   #502
BHPian

Hey Ravveendrra any particluar reson that why you call it Cruz and not Cruze??

@np23...well it will be interesting to see how good it will look in flesh. They might even bring USB port during this update. Well it will be quite unfair to initial buyers like us for not providing it in the first place.

Last edited by ashish22 : 12th February 2011 at 19:15.
Old 12th February 2011, 19:22   #503
BHPian

I got this information from the sales staff at dynamic motors in Chandigarh and they are saying that there should be an estimated increase of Rs 30000 in the prices.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:29   #504
BHPian

I have booked a Olympic white cruze LT and the delivery was delayed because of 2011 model changes. I understand from the dealer that the 2011 Cruze LT is going to have jet black interiors with some more goodies thrown in. This comes at a cost of 20k more. I am awaiting more inputs from dealer.

No beige interiors (atleast not on LT). I love jet black, dont know how is it going to look in flesh. It will probably be a bit more claustrophobic, given the fact that cruze has less glass area.

Cant wait to see details.
Old 17th February 2011, 13:57   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
I've got news from a chevrolet dealer that from 19th february all cruze will be delivered in beige colours and discontinue grey interiors.Any news on this?
Atleast in Hyderabad till date there is no concrete news after speaking with my SA. According to him, its udthi udthi khabar!!!

Quote:
The filters are changed as per service schedule. The Green Cotton I junked once I saw the dust it let pass. The headlight bulb was an aftermarket 100W, the OE bulb went back in. The clutch was the surprising bit and I changed it around 20K though the *** and independent said it was not necessary and would last at least another 10K to 20K Km. I noticed that it sometimes slipped beyond 3500 rpm. (never below). I think the clutch gave way because of the bad habits my left foot picked up over the years - since then I have disciplined my left leg. I will have to hunt out the bills
That sounds like a nice list. Would love to know the cost. Please hunt them down after your back from your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Hey Ravveendrra any particluar reson that why you call it Cruz and not Cruze??
I too noticed but, forgot to ask him.

Ravvs, is it something to do with your infatuation with a certain mexican bombshell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
@np23...well it will be interesting to see how good it will look in flesh. They might even bring USB port during this update. Well it will be quite unfair to initial buyers like us for not providing it in the first place.
All these talks are just that--talks for now. If such updates happen. I am going to dealership and start protesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
I got this information from the sales staff at dynamic motors in Chandigarh and they are saying that there should be an estimated increase of Rs 30000 in the prices.
Rs.22000-Rs.25000 is the increase. No idea at the moment from when though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
I have booked a Olympic white cruze LT and the delivery was delayed because of 2011 model changes. I understand from the dealer that the 2011 Cruze LT is going to have jet black interiors with some more goodies thrown in. This comes at a cost of 20k more. I am awaiting more inputs from dealer.

No beige interiors (atleast not on LT). I love jet black, dont know how is it going to look in flesh. It will probably be a bit more claustrophobic, given the fact that cruze has less glass area.
Congrats. Cant wait to see your car pictures. Please start a detailed ownership thread as soon as you get the delivery. Goodluck with your beast
Old 17th February 2011, 21:12   #506
BHPian

These are the 2011 Changes on LT

1. New Interior color theme: Jet black with Medium Titanium Dashboard and Trims
2. Improved Rear Seat with new cushion design
3. Audio controls on steering wheel
4. Automatic climate control
5. Illuminated Vanity mirror

All this for 20k extra on ex-showroom

Last edited by Car&me : 17th February 2011 at 21:27.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:26   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ravvs, is it something to do with your infatuation with a certain mexican bombshell?
Its Spanish and not Mexican Sir
Old 18th February 2011, 09:54   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds like a brickbat but I feel that the Cruze could have had better FE. For example, the Laura, with its DSG box is, from what I have heard, at least 25% better than the the Cruze with its manual box.

Of course, the power figures too are pretty similar for both. 150/140 BHP respectively.

Your views please mobike008.
Buddy, I've done 18,000+ kms on my Cruze LTZ AT and it has given me 13.1 kmpl till date. My usage has been 60% on highways and 40% within city limits. Mileage is purely a function of one's driving style. I believe one has to go through a learning curve to get the best out of any car either in terms of performance or efficiency. As far as efficiency goes, I've found a couple of sweet spots in my car in the range 70 - 90 kmph and 110 to 130 kmph where Cruze becomes highly fuel efficient.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:03   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra_urs View Post
Buddy, I've done 18,000+ kms on my Cruze LTZ AT and it has given me 13.1 kmpl till date. My usage has been 60% on highways and 40% within city limits. Mileage is purely a function of one's driving style. I believe one has to go through a learning curve to get the best out of any car either in terms of performance or efficiency. As far as efficiency goes, I've found a couple of sweet spots in my car in the range 70 - 90 kmph and 110 to 130 kmph where Cruze becomes highly fuel efficient.
I completely agree with Narendra ,it all depends on how you drive.
It is bit less for a "diesel" but still pretty deceny because I drive my car in Delhi all the time in which sometimes I drive it hard (about 15%) while the remaining time is either gentle cruising or B2B traffic and then I get about 9kmpl which seems to be decent but once a few months back I did about 100 km of very hard driving in Delhi traffic due to urgency to reach to a few places and it still did Delhi chandigarh delhi with ease so infact it gave me about 14.5kmpl with 100km of sheer abuse in Delhi and still ran about 780km.

I know the laura PD used to offer better FE but I am not sure about the figures of the new 140 BHP engines...the better figure is due to the dsg gearbox but then it also has the typical DSG lag although all in all DSG is still bit better.

Last edited by np23 : 18th February 2011 at 18:21.
Old 19th February 2011, 10:23   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
These are the 2011 Changes on LT

1. New Interior color theme: Jet black with Medium Titanium Dashboard and Trims
2. Improved Rear Seat with new cushion design
3. Audio controls on steering wheel
4. Automatic climate control
5. Illuminated Vanity mirror

All this for 20k extra on ex-showroom
That sounds like a nice list for such a small amount. I definetly see the black theme, controls on wheel and climate control really worth for that money.

I am not sure if a dealer can get these features onto existing LT for same price as after-market for existing owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra_urs View Post
Kudos to you. I can never drive the Cruze thinking of mileage. I drive fast ( 90% of times) with revvs till date never even touching beyond 3.5K RPM as i beileve in shifting fast to subsequent gears. I especially make sure not to revv high in 1st gear and sometimes in 2nd gear.

I love the power surge in 3rd gear so much, I dont have enough words to describe the same.

Driving the Cruze as how it should be driven, i get 11kmpl/11.5kmpl in 100% city conditions which is good enough for me.

I have one question for Cruze owners. Another feature that I find horribly wrong in this car is the horn which is in dead center of steering wheel and is really a pain to reach and use. Sometimes my hands pain as the wheel is thick, horn is weak and you need to use lot of pressure to honk.

Has anyone changed the OEM horn? If its safe, I would like to go for a slightly louder horn as present one is as good as zilch

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th February 2011 at 10:27.

Most Viewed