Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 15:50   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
At 15K service for the Cruze the engine oil change Filter Kit replacement and regular paid service (wash) will be carried out.

Cost:

Engine Oil Quartz 9000 Rs. 551 + tax a litre. 6 litres required(Rs.3306/-)
Thanks for your response Sameer. I was hoping you would respond to this query and you did. I was also checking with Narendra. He mentioned that he decided to go against using Chevvy recommended oil ( Kropex) and as per a recommendation of a technical person working in Toyota he went ahead with Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40. He's very happy with its performance.

Cost of Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40 is Rs. 3,600 for a 4 litres and Cruze would need 6.5 Litres bringing up the price to Rs.5850 only for the oil

Your thoughts on this please? Also, do Chevy allow we carrying different brand oil during this service?

Also, the pricing for Oil and Fuel filter seem quite low. They must be 2010 pricing. I think they "may" have raised the pricing of these components. Not sure though.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:09   #632
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for your response Sameer. I was hoping you would respond to this query and you did. I was also checking with Narendra. He mentioned that he decided to go against using Chevvy recommended oil ( Kropex) and as per a recommendation of a technical person working in Toyota he went ahead with Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40. He's very happy with its performance.

My Cruze has gone thro 2 oil changes, not even once was I offered a choice of engine oil by the dealership. I did not ask also. So really i am not sure whether they will allow you to get your own oil.

As for the performance with the cheaper oil, its good i dont have any complains.

I remember when I had the Skoda their dealer use to offer a choice of regular oil and synthetic oil.

Maybe you can check with KUN they might offer both.

The rates are as of November 2010.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th June 2011 at 14:29. Reason: fixed quote for readability
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:58   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Today, WA went for a 200kms TBHP drive and it was one of the most bumpiest drive ever. During this entire stretch, the surface of the roads were about 70% good but, very bumpy and uneven roads that kind of tosses the passengers sideways constantly.

There were a couple of instances including one of fish tailing for the first time ever due to a high speed overtake going slightly wrong and WA coming out clean fish tailing but, totally composed. There was a lot of drama from outside but, inside it was calm as a coma. Admire this beast for its road manners even more now. CPC2's are absolutely brilliant and even during those uneven tarmac, there was minimal noise and zilch on smooth surface with superb gripping quality of the rubber. Iam super pleased with its performance.

However, while returning from this drive WA went through a pot hole at high speed resulting in a loud whacking sound which was noisest hit ( 3rd till date) to its bottom. It took me a few minutes to come to terms with it and slowed down considerably

Here's a teaser pic from today's meet. Will share a few more soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-dsc_7806.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2011, 21:31   #634

I too have the white and my number is 5711. shall post some pics once it comes back from first service tomorrow.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:48   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

Did you take WA to the 15k service? What was the damage? Also, I believe large Chevy dealers buy synthetic pil in big packs and thus can price it at around 700 bucks per liter as opopsed to market rate of 900+

Let me know!
Old 10th June 2011, 13:56   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvtosh View Post
I too have the white and my number is 5711. shall post some pics once it comes back from first service tomorrow.
When are the pictures of your Cruze coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Did you take WA to the 15k service? What was the damage? Also, I believe large Chevy dealers buy synthetic pil in big packs and thus can price it at around 700 bucks per liter as opopsed to market rate of 900+
WA odo reading as on today is 14,700kms. It will go in for its 15,000kms service on June 18th. Update will come up post the service.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:03   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

WA is scheduled for its 4th service (15,000kms) tomorrow. This is the time when your pockets get ripped (hopefully, not much).

I got a text this morning from my dealership (KUN) which read :-

Dear Customer, Chevrolet free car check-up camp from June 17th to June 19th for 50point checkup, car wash, discounts on consumables and other exciting offers. Please visit your nearest branch.KUN

Chevy keeps springing pleasant suprise and that too just when i am planning to give my car for service. or, Am I just plain lucky? It happened last time too, remember?

Hopefully, above offer should reduce my cash outflow to some extent.

Issues in WA :-

1. Light bulb in the glovebox went kaput. Need to replace

Apart from above, there is not a single damn issue to report. No rattles, no squeaking suspensions, no irritating noises, no nothing.....It continues emit a pleasant noise of "deathly silence" inside....

Hence, it's just going to be a simple oil change and related service. That's it

P.S: Just a query. I plan to get the wheel balance and alignment from outside as my previous experience with dealership was average. Just wanted to know, what would be ideal. Doing it before service OR after the service would be appropriate?
Old 16th June 2011, 15:44   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
. . .

P.S: Just a query. I plan to get the wheel balance and alignment from outside as my previous experience with dealership was average. Just wanted to know, what would be ideal. Doing it before service OR after the service would be appropriate?
Go for wa for the WA after the servicing. I hope you are going to Mohan Chandra. Try to get it done by the head mech there (think his name is Shiva). Go early around 9.30 and speak to the owner Mr. Rammohan.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 16:04   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Go for wa for the WA after the servicing. I hope you are going to Mohan Chandra. Try to get it done by the head mech there (think his name is Shiva). Go early around 9.30 and speak to the owner Mr. Rammohan.
Ravvs, you contributed to my savings ( Rs.0.30/minute) as had planned to call you this evening to check on your reference with this WB and WA outlet on lower tank bund road.

Thanks for input, will get it done after the service is over which means I can be spotted at this outlet on Saturday morning
Old 16th June 2011, 18:01   #640
MDe
BHPian

Great to hear about the service camp. These guys never send me texts around such good offers. If I can make some time, I will also bring down my car to the RTC service center.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:06   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Mission "15,000KMS Service" completed

Yesterday, took the WA to the service center first thing in the morning and had set up to meet the service manager who's contact took from my friend showroom service advisor ( Kishore).

He attended to me promptly and when i casually checked the oil brand and price they will use, he called comeone and confirmed the cost of synthetic oil ( Elf Brand) is Rs.720/litre and Cruze will use up 6.25L and is what company recommends. Also, i specially told him not to conduct the alignment and balance as I was not happy with that service.

I was pleasantly surprised that it will be Rs.900++

Told him, there are no issues except for the fused out bulb in glovebox.

As there was a free camp going on, I told him i am expecting a discount on the overall bill and he said " Sir, your is regular service so it will not apply. I told him that i got a text and even a call inviting me to this camp. Thus, I came". He said, 'Alright, let me see what i can do in the evening"

Estimation given was Rs.7000 and said I will receive a call in the afternoon if brake pads need to be replaced. I was nervous the whole afternoon and whenever the phone rang. I was flinching. Thankfully, didnt get a call from them.

Went over at 6:30pm to collect the car and got another pleasant surprise when the bill was handed over. It read

Oil : Rs. 611 X 6.25L = Rs.3020
Oil Filter Kit = Rs.550
Distill Water : Rs.17.50
Paid Service = Rs.1025

Total Bill = Rs.6156 (they didnt even charge be for bulb replaced)

Will get the Alignment and Balance done today and it should not cost more than Rs.700

And, I asked the Service Manager the discount and he quickly asked his team to give the same as provided in the free camp. On above amount, got a 10% discount on consummables and 5% on labour. This decreased the above total by ~ Rs.350 and paid the final bill of Rs.5800

SM said brake pads are good for atleast another 8,000kms and typically the front pads go first and it is around 4K or so and rear pads last for further 5000kms. I am glad the expenses are going to come in a phased manner.

Special mention of teople who are at cleaning bay. Atleast 4-5 people pounced on the car and gave it a real good rubbing and cleaning before delivering the car.

Besides the above, Chevy always has something going on at their ASC. Yesterday, they practically were forcing me to use a "Free Eye-Checkup" camp in their center which I politely refused.

Finally, ownership experience till date has been phenomenal and service costs was not as much a shocker as I thought it will be.

Some pics from yesterday with my incompetent BB camera

WA not yet touched the 15K mark but, it will over the weekend

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img00241201106171921.jpg

This was the damage for 15,000kms service

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img00243201106171928.jpg

Using air pressure hose to clean the complicated grill for all dust particles

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img00240201106171858.jpg

Spotted this nice looking Optra outside the ASC. It was shod with Yoko's and a subtle color pattern.

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-saw-nice-optra-asc.jpg

A short post service "Feel" report follows in a day or two
Old 18th June 2011, 10:55   #642
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Congratulations on completing 15k with the WA and great to know that you dint have any problem whatsoever till now.
The best part is your service cost, I went for the same service last week and paid about 13k:( ,the main difference seems to be the oil cost,are you sure you have put synthetic oil because I have been charged Rs960 per L where as you have been Rs611 per L(great for you though).
As it would personally not benefit the service manager in anyway by shooting up the oil cost in the bill can you explain the difference?
Old 18th June 2011, 15:04   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Congratulations on completing 15k with the WA and great to know that you dint have any problem whatsoever till now.
The best part is your service cost, I went for the same service last week and paid about 13k:( ,the main difference seems to be the oil cost,are you sure you have put synthetic oil because I have been charged Rs960 per L where as you have been Rs611 per L(great for you though).
As it would personally not benefit the service manager in anyway by shooting up the oil cost in the bill can you explain the difference?
If I recall correctly, the additional expenses you paid were :-

350 X 6.25L = ~ Rs.2,200 ( No discount passed on to you)
Wheel Alignment and Balance : Rs.2300 ( This could have been done outside at Rs.700 max)
AC Nosel cleaning : Rs.270 ( Beats me what's one? I got my AC filters cleaned and improved the blower speed at 2 and 3 speeds)
Oil Flushing Treatment : Rs.670 ( IMO, this was not required at all as Cruze comes stock with synthetic oil)

Essentially, you paid 6K+ for above tasks which could have been avoided if you had personally taken the car to the ASC

As someone was pointing out in some other Cruze thread that ASC gets a discount for volume purchases and hence, Rs.960 oil is passed on to customers with discount at 720rs. but, even i was surprised that I was charged only Rs.611 - 5% discount on top of it.

Yeah, I double confirmed and its Elf Brand "Synthetic Oil"

Why your service manager would fleece you? That's a good question. Probably you should ask him that question.

If your not careful, people in all spheres of life are just waiting to take others for a ride
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 23:03   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to hear your service costs!

It seems to re-confirm that the Cruze is NOT unduly heavy on front and rear brake pads UNLESS it is an automatic and/or is usually driven at highway speeds with routine heavy braking.

Replacing brake pads at say 20/25k km is acceptable IMHO for such a powerful car.
Old 18th June 2011, 23:38   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

My personal beileve is that if you take serious interest you can save a lot of money during your entire ownership of a car. Normally, people get complacent over a period time and that's the slip you should be careful about if you'd like to save dough during the ownership period ( unless you land yourself with a lemon)

In this segment, probably there are a majority of people with high disposable incomes who do not bother about saving a few grand. Let me emphasize that I do not fall in that category.

Nobody is going to take me a ride with my hard earned money. Thus, iam extra cautious whilst spending on any item during the course of the ownership period

In a few days, you will see on this thread the insurance renewal cost of WA which will be cheapest compared to any other owner with a similar valued vehicle. It just takes a little time and interest which will save you a lot of moolah.

Most Viewed