Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 01:19   #646
anb
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great to hear your service costs!

It seems to re-confirm that the Cruze is NOT unduly heavy on front and rear brake pads UNLESS it is an automatic and/or is usually driven at highway speeds with routine heavy braking.

Replacing brake pads at say 20/25k km is acceptable IMHO for such a powerful car.
My cruze's front brake pads were replaced at 18k km.I drive a lot through ghat roads and usually drive very hard.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:24   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
My cruze's front brake pads were replaced at 18k km.I drive a lot through ghat roads and usually drive very hard.
Nice. Appreciate if you can mention the exact cost of front pads replacement that you paid?

How many kms your Cruze has done till date? Any issues you faced with your car?
Old 19th June 2011, 14:11   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nobody is going to take me a ride with my hard earned money. Thus, iam extra cautious whilst spending on any item during the course of the ownership period

It just takes a little time and interest which will save you a lot of moolah.
Sometimes, even less than "little" time.

For instance, when I was picking up my car last year, the ex-showroom price was quoted as 1338800 and so the road tax at 14% was 187440 rounded up to the next 10.

When I received the invoice I noticed that the dealer had adjusted the insurance and corporate discount against the ex-showroom price. Essentially, RTO was told that the ex-showroom price was 1277535. It follows that the road tax charged by RTO to the dealer was 178855 (rounded up to the next 10). However, the dealer quoted 187440 on the invoice.

It took 5 seconds for me to spot the anomaly, some half a minute to call the dealer's bluff and refute his silly arguments that "everyone follows this practice and no customer complains". I told him I'm not like the customers he's seen so far and got back my money in the form of some needed accessories + cash discount.

It's embarrassing to even attempt to calculate the return on the time invested.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 17:57   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

For instance, when I was picking up my car last year, the ex-showroom price was quoted as 1338800 and so the road tax at 14% was 187440 rounded up to the next 10.

When I received the invoice I noticed that the dealer had adjusted the insurance and corporate discount against the ex-showroom price. Essentially, RTO was told that the ex-showroom price was 1277535. It follows that the road tax charged by RTO to the dealer was 178855 (rounded up to the next 10). However, the dealer quoted 187440 on the invoice.

It took 5 seconds for me to spot the anomaly, some half a minute to call the dealer's bluff and refute his silly arguments that "everyone follows this practice and no customer complains". I told him I'm not like the customers he's seen so far and got back my money in the form of some needed accessories + cash discount.

It's embarrassing to even attempt to calculate the return on the time invested.

Regards,
spadix
Spadix, you should post this on the New Car Price thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-deals-39.html ). I may help a lot of others to save some money.

Thanks for sharing mate
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 13:07   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I know what you mean. I too have an eye to catch these small "deliberate" goof ups by dealers. In my case, they offered a 10K corporate discount which I negotiated further to 15K.

Very smartly, the dealer was providing this discount on "FINAL" OTR.

I told him, to reduce this amount on Ex-Showroom. Because, this reduction will subsequently effect the additons of Insurance, Road Tax etc.

Simple Example with hypothetical figures with 14.5% being the charge of Ex-showroom vehicle to convert to an OTR price :-

A) 11,50,000- 15,000 = 11,35,000 + 14.5% = Rs.12,99,575

B) 11,50,000 + 166,750 (14.5%) = 13,16,750-15,000 = Rs.13,01750

Essentially a saving of ~Rs.2500 if you deal with them in above manner.

Dealer offered Option B to me. I insisted and got Option A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Go for wa for the WA after the servicing. I hope you are going to Mohan Chandra. Try to get it done by the head mech there (think his name is Shiva). Go early around 9.30 and speak to the owner Mr. Rammohan.
Got the wheel alignment and balance done here. When I said want to get the work done by their head mechanic Mr.Rammohan curtly said, he left us and i can do a better job than him

When I told him of that slight tilt to left in steering wheel position. He took a short ride and said 2 degrees lets turn to right. He personally oversaw the work being done on WA.

Finished the work in 45 mins flat and steering wheel position now is in bang center

Great job by them and I guess will now will stick to them in future. However, point to be noted he seems to be very popular as post 10am, hordes of cars turn up. The right time to go there is 9:30am sharp and mine was the first vehicle to be there and out of there.

P.S: Btw, spotted a Red Indica with AP9BC XXXX registration with GOT BHP sticker at back getting some work done at this center. Briefly said hello, apparently his handle here is Abhijeeth. Never saw him around here before.

Damages : Rs.700

TOTAL Damages for 15,000kms service : Rs.5800+Rs.700 = Rs.6,500

Previously spent : Rs.1000

Therefore, Maintainenance cost of Cruze until 15,000kms= Rs.7500/15000kms = Rs.0.50/KM

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th June 2011 at 13:09.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:46   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Though, its pretty early. WA is due for an insurance renewal on July 22nd.

I got a couple of initial quotes and the figure seems to vary a lot.

Below figures are including all riders with NCB

Company 1

Bharati Axa General Insurance
IDV : Rs.10 Lakhs
Final Premium : Rs.19,866

L&T Insurance
IDV : Rs. 10 Lakhs
Final Premium : Rs.14,095

Company 2

Reliance Insurance
IDV : Rs.9,77,500
Final Premium : Rs.18,007

HDFC Insurance

Bajaj Alliance

Strangely, Company 2 has quoted identifical quotes from 3 different insurance companies.

Lot of time to ponder on above and there definetly seems to be a lot of scope for negotiations.

Anyone knowledgable on Insurance may add their thoughts.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:18   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely, Company 2 has quoted identifical quotes from 3 different insurance companies.
It's possible that the three companies' policies differ on some finer aspects like exactly what parts get covered and what to what extent and under what conditions.

Quote:
Lot of time to ponder on above and there definetly seems to be a lot of scope for negotiations.
Look at how low L&T insurance's quote is! If you use that figure, you can shake things up to an extent where it will now be the turn of the insurance providers to say -

Quote:
If your not careful, people in all spheres of life are just waiting to take others for a ride
Regards,
spadix
Old 27th June 2011, 11:50   #653

Quote:
In a few days, you will see on this thread the insurance renewal cost of WA which will be cheapest compared to any other owner with a similar valued vehicle. It just takes a little time and interest which will save you a lot of moolah.
Hi, My cruze insurance is also up for renewal next month. Any ideas on saving money is welcome. I am thinks about getting the 0% depreciation insurance done. I am being offered a premius of Rs 25,500 on a IDV of Rs10,000,000.

Please share what rates you are getting .
Old 29th June 2011, 12:47   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekparmar View Post
Hi, My cruze insurance is also up for renewal next month. Any ideas on saving money is welcome. I am thinks about getting the 0% depreciation insurance done. I am being offered a premius of Rs 25,500 on a IDV of Rs10,000,000. Please share what rates you are getting .
They are trying to rip you off. I am getting varied quotes ranging from Rs.14000 ( IDV Value : 9,77,500) from L&T Finance to Rs.19,000 ( IDV Value: Rs.10,00,000) from HDFC Ergo

Please take quotes from a minimum of 5 reputed companies like below and decide :-

1. HDFC Ergo
2. Tata AIG
3. Reliance Finance
4. ICICI
5. Bajaj Allianz

Once you receive the quotes from these 5 companies. Take the lowest quote ( Minus) - Couple of thousand from that quote and let other 4 companies know that "figure".

Then see how fast they revert with "better" quotes

Repeat till you know that's the maximum you can squeeze and make payment only 2 days before not earlier nor later.

My last date is July 22. So, its decided I will make the premium payment only on July 20th.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th June 2011 at 12:49.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:01   #655
Senior - BHPian

Whatever insurance you opt for, make sure it covers damage due to flooding/ water-stagnation. I've read some horror stories on this forum on how a Civic owner's claim was refused a couple of years ago.

Bharati Axa staff are not that business-like, going by my personal experience of getting my kid's scooter insurance renewed last week. I chose Bajaj Allianz instead, but I heard from Ravvs and Downsouth that Tata AIG is among the best.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:22   #656

I think the rates you have mentioned are for standard insurance policies. I am going for 0% depreciation policy and hence the higher rates. Here's the summary:

0% Depreciation
Tata-AIG- Rs 22,970 for IDV of Rs. 10,44,000
ICICI Lombard: 26450 for IDV for 10,00,000
Bajaj: 25,500 for IDV of 9,97,000

Standard Policy
ICICI Lombard: Rs. 17200 for IDV of 9,85,176
Tata AiG: Rs. 18400 for IDV of 10,00,000
Old 29th June 2011, 14:22   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Bharati Axa staff are not that business-like, going by my personal experience of getting my kid's scooter insurance renewed last week. I chose Bajaj Allianz instead, but I heard from Ravvs and Downsouth that Tata AIG is among the best.
In terms of sheer features and coverage options at least, Tata AIG and Royal Sundaram are right on top of the list.

Claims-wise, I've heard Tata AIG and Bajaj Allianz are both smooth.

I've been using BA all along for my P180 and Civic so far, but am thinking of switching to Tata AIG now. Their initial quote for standard cover is already pretty competitive with the promise of a good discount whenever I commit (i.e. am on the website about to enter my card details etc.).

The only question is whether to go for it independently or under the aegis of Honda Assure.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th June 2011, 14:42   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Whatever insurance you opt for, make sure it covers damage due to flooding/ water-stagnation. I've read some horror stories on this forum on how a Civic owner's claim was refused a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the tip Venu. Will ensure they cover those categories. I have used Tata AIG extensively and they are awesome. And, even BA has been very good.

I am currently on Reliance Insurance and touchwood havent had to use their claim so wouldnt know how their claim process would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekparmar View Post
I think the rates you have mentioned are for standard insurance policies. I am going for 0% depreciation policy and hence the higher rates. Here's the summary:

0% Depreciation
Tata-AIG- Rs 22,970 for IDV of Rs. 10,44,000
ICICI Lombard: 26450 for IDV for 10,00,000
Bajaj: 25,500 for IDV of 9,97,000

Standard Policy
ICICI Lombard: Rs. 17200 for IDV of 9,85,176
Tata AiG: Rs. 18400 for IDV of 10,00,000
Alright. Now it makes sense. But, can I ask you why 0% depreciation in 2nd year itself? Would like to know what benefits you see over a non-0% dep premium?

Nice quote from Tata AIG. Which means there is scope of reducing another 1.5 thou minimum

Quote:
The only question is whether to go for it independently or under the aegis of Honda Assure.
I too had BA for the Pulsar. But, sadly its now without insurance for more than a couple of years as never got around to renewing it.

Tata AIG and BA seems to be the most preferred. Also, Tata AIG has lot of offers usually and I had used them for 2 years with my Accent Viva and gave discount coupons using which i saved quite a bit of dough.

Whats the benefits of Honda Assure? Isnt it another gimmick to fleece customers with more money? I would say go with independent companies who themselves are mammoth in the insurance business and can provide on par or better service.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:51   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the benefits of Honda Assure? Isnt it another gimmick to fleece customers with more money? I would say go with independent companies who themselves are mammoth in the insurance business and can provide on par or better service.
The biggest advantage as I see it is 0-dep is available till year 5. With independent coverage, 0-dep is not offered beyond year 3 (which is precisely when you need it the most if God doesn't forbid). Some of the more prone to damage parts (bumpers and fibre parts) are covered to a larger extent, i.e. depreciated at a slower rate. Some regular wear-and-tear bits which aren't even covered normally are covered under Honda Assure. Of course these parts aren't *very* costly.

There are a couple of other very minor advantages that I feel are simply not worth the premium.

For a full-list, please see this post.

Anyway, the fact that I'm still thinking about it means it's not a cut-and-dried decision. It's definitely not a "must have".

EDIT: Forgot to mention this - ultimately it's one of the big 4/5 who underwrite even Honda Assure policies. For instance, my current Honda Assure policy (INR 1 for the first year) is underwritten by Bajaj Allianz, so it'll eventually be their surveyors and service and claims process and not Honda's.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 29th June 2011 at 14:53.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:00   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to mention this - ultimately it's one of the big 4/5 who underwrite even Honda Assure policies. For instance, my current Honda Assure policy (INR 1 for the first year) is underwritten by Bajaj Allianz, so it'll eventually be their surveyors and service and claims process and not Honda's.
Exactly. So Honda uses the regular insurer and makes a nice cut in between under the "Honda Assure" brand

I have never used 0% depreciation in my life and dont plan to start now as benefits don't seem that great.

Will just pray the lord that I dont have to regret this decision in future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks