Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 17:09   #691
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
RPM Usage: I have touched the top speed of the car several times and may have touched the 4000RPM only once and this car redlines at 4.5K ( obviously since it's a diesel). In city driving, there is simply no need to cross the 2.5K RPM even if you are an aggressive driver. Whereas, on the highway, a sedate driving will require you to go up to 3000RPM and aggressive may stretch that limit to 3500RPM-4000RPM range.
I have seen many diesel cars with its instrument panel red-lining at 4500 rpm. I was surprised to see the red-line at 6500 rpm in the Chevy India website (Chevrolet Cruze Interior Features) for the Cruze.

Which one is right?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-cruze-instrument-panel.jpg  

Old 31st July 2011, 03:44   #692
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
If the specifications are met almost entirely with no change to wheel size. An upsize of 10mm width would not effect the warranty ( that's just by logic but, dont know for sure as we normally dont get answers to such questions as almost nobody would be SURE)

Btw, curious to know what warranty are we talking about? Warranty for what exactly if the tyres are upsized to 215/60/R16 which is 10mm extra on a 205 section? Would be interesting to know what you think would go wrong that would neccessitate a warranty claim?
Logically, I don't see any significant reason for there to be an issue with the warranty. But hang on! The car company might find an excuse. A silly, illogical excuse, based on some fine print somewhere. That was what I was wondering about.

Also, they could claim that it affects rolling resistance, hence bearings; tyres being bigger yada yada yada! Just some non-sense and get an excuse to not honour the warranty on say, suspensions.

PS: I didn't mean that such a minor upsize would actually cause any damage to the vehicle. I have been doing it in the past and have had good relations with the A$$ centres to not have had any problem. But not sure how GM deals with it, in case any suspension or similar issues actually came about.

Quote:
Venu, the straightline accelaration of the Cruze is experienced to be beileved. I am glad you liked it. It's appropriately advertized " Diesel Rocket"
Oh Yeah! (Austin Powers ishtyle) LOL

Yes, it truly is fun. Just such a wonderful car on the highway/GQ.

Quote:
With regards to the turbolag, for someone driving a Cruze for the first time, especially someone like you who drive only petrol cars, the lag may seem a lot but, would be slightly bothersome for someone used to driving diesel cars.
Besides, after owning or driving it for a few days when you know which gear keeps you in the powerband. The so called "turbo-lag brohuaha" will become non-existent
+1

Though I did feel some turbo-lag in the Cruze. Overall, I think this whole thing about Turbo-lag is so much over-hyped. Probably by people who aren't used to diesels' power delivery and need adjustment to it. Live with it for a few days/weeks and it usually seems to vanish. Just may need more gear changes though, depending on the car in question.

Last edited by Poitive : 31st July 2011 at 03:47.
Old 31st July 2011, 12:25   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I have seen many diesel cars with its instrument panel red-lining at 4500 rpm. I was surprised to see the red-line at 6500 rpm in the Chevy India website (Chevrolet Cruze Interior Features) for the Cruze. Which one is right?
You picked out an error. Great. The redline is at 4.5K RPM as in case of most diesels. Looks like its a wrong picture

Check my Cruze's Console picture here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2007580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Logically, I don't see any significant reason for there to be an issue with the warranty. But hang on! The car company might find an excuse. A silly, illogical excuse, based on some fine print somewhere. That was what I was wondering about.
Ah! Then in such cases, its just your personal relationship with A.S.S that matters. I always make it a point to make friends right from the main manager to technicians on the floor.

Whenever I got there, they recognize me and come over and say hello....if you maintain such relationship then such minor issues will most certainly be overlooked.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:04   #694
anb
BHPian

Quote:
You picked out an error. Great. The redline is at 4.5K RPM as in case of most diesels. Looks like its a wrong picture

It is the interior of petrol version

Quote:

Btw, curious to know what warranty are we talking about? Warranty for what exactly if the tyres are upsized to 215/60/R16 which is 10mm extra on a 205 section? Would be interesting to know what you think would go wrong that would neccessitate a warranty claim?

Suspension warranty may get void. 215/60 R16 increases the diameter by 6mm. 225/55 R16 is a better choice as the diameter increase is only 0.75mm.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:11   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Suspension warranty may get void. 215/60 R16 increases the diameter by 6mm. 225/55 R16 is a better choice as the diameter increase is only 0.75mm.
Just a thought-
With a reduced profile, would it not cause more stress to the suspension, thereby making it relatively more logical for the suspension warranty to get void?
Old 31st July 2011, 14:29   #696
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought-
With a reduced profile, would it not cause more stress to the suspension, thereby making it relatively more logical for the suspension warranty to get void?
Reduced profile always doesn't mean lower side wall height. Side wall height of 205/60 is 123mm and that of 225/55 is 123.75mm. Since the sidewall height is higher,the stresses on the suspension will be less. Incase of 215/60 is the difference from original size is much more than that of 225/55.

Last edited by anb : 31st July 2011 at 14:35.
Old 31st July 2011, 15:51   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Reduced profile always doesn't mean lower side wall height. Side wall height of 205/60 is 123mm and that of 225/55 is 123.75mm. Since the sidewall height is higher,the stresses on the suspension will be less. Incase of 215/60 is the difference from original size is much more than that of 225/55.
Thanks anb.
Was silly of me to have skipped that calculation (60% of 205 and 55% of 225).

Coming back; do you think the warranty would be based on how much the profile is increased, even if the rim size is the same? Also, a higher profile should usually be good for the suspension (given similar hardness of the tyre) and the company should not have a good enough reason to void the warranty.

@mobike, your route to make friends seems to be the most practical one. I too have been doing that, though maybe not to the extend you follow it. Also, not sure if it is appropriate to carry on with this warranty-tyre size discussion on your thread here. Just in case it is too OT, please let us know.
Old 31st July 2011, 19:40   #698
Senior - BHPian

When in doubt regarding warranty just check the manual. The Civic's manual, for example, lists both 195/65 R15 and 205/65 R15, so the most popular upsize doesn't kill the warranty.

Regarding turbo lag, only TDers are affected if you ask me. On my Dad's Indigo (which we've now had for 5+ years) neither of us has a problem with lag. In fact my experience with this helped me during my TD of the Cruze. The car barely skipped a beat in the few kilometres I drove it.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 20:22   #699
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
When in doubt regarding warranty just check the manual. The Civic's manual, for example, lists both 195/65 R15 and 205/65 R15, so the most popular upsize doesn't kill the warranty.
I think the tyre sizes in the manual are 205/60 R16 and 225/50 R17.
Quote:

Coming back; do you think the warranty would be based on how much the profile is increased, even if the rim size is the same?
I think warranty will be void if you change the tyre size. It is not based on the profile size.
Old 31st July 2011, 20:39   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Regarding turbo lag, only TDers are affected if you ask me. On my Dad's Indigo (which we've now had for 5+ years) neither of us has a problem with lag. In fact my experience with this helped me during my TD of the Cruze. The car barely skipped a beat in the few kilometres I drove it.

Regards,
spadix
Prashant---as Avi already pointed out, if you're used only to petrols, then turbo-lag throws you off-guard. This is more pronounced if you drive a Fiesta 1.6, which shoots forward on 2nd gear after a U turn, unlike other petrol cars that have a booster/ vtec kick in only at higher revvs.

Since you are used to an diesel Indigo, you were already used to it. I have also driven an i20 CRDI many times, and know what turbo lag is. I thought a rocket like the Cruze would not have it. But I guess the trick is to downshift to 1st to be in the peppy range.

Just my thoughts.....of course from a petrolhead.
Old 31st July 2011, 21:34   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Prashant---as Avi already pointed out, if you're used only to petrols, then turbo-lag throws you off-guard. This is more pronounced if you drive a Fiesta 1.6, which shoots forward on 2nd gear after a U turn, unlike other petrol cars that have a booster/ vtec kick in only at higher revvs.
We had an 800 before the Indigo + Civic and that was one sprightly car in gears 1 and 2 in such scenarios as you've pointed out. All of our earlier cars (a trio of Fiats and Padminis) were petrols.

As you expect, all of us (Dad, wife, I) took quite some time to get used to the turbo lag. In fact the Indigo *will* stall even in 1st if you try to start from a standstill with wheels turned to full lock. We can't prevent this despite all our experience, even now! All petrols handle this use case with aplomb. On the Indigo you must roll a few inches with the wheels straight and then apply full lock.

I remember how a friend of mine (his in-laws have an Indigo) and I were *very* surprised with this because theory says diesels are torquier than petrols all else being equal. There's just something else going on with turbo-diesels. I haven't driven an NA diesel extensively to have any idea of what this might be.

Regards,
spadix
Old 31st July 2011, 22:09   #702
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check my Cruze's Console picture here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2007580
Thanks Avinash. Got it clarified. The picture of the instrument cluster is on Page 7. General Motors seems to be careless about the web site.
Old 1st August 2011, 14:03   #703
BHPian

If you guys haven't already heard, GM is planning on a upgrade to the Cruze by the end of 2011. The changes are supposed to include GM's new Z series engine with 163 bhp and more torque. The upgrade is also supposed to include minor cosmetic upgrades, including a better rear space. I just hope they don't increase the price. :(

Looks like Chevy has turned out to be one of those few manufacturers who actually listen to consumer feedbacks. Respect to Chevy.
Old 1st August 2011, 14:45   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
If you guys haven't already heard, GM is planning on a upgrade to the Cruze by the end of 2011. The changes are supposed to include GM's new Z series engine with 163 bhp and more torque
This news is now almost a month old.

Along with a brand new engine and increase in power there are quite a few additions to features also like TPMS etc. So an increase in price is quite logical and I expect it to be priced anywhere between 50K-1L more than current version.

Having said, that it came as a surprise as I was expecting the petrol version to be released first at a lower price to compete with 10L category sedans.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:01   #705
BHPian

Hi Mobike,

I've followed your thread from the beginning. I've booked a Fluidic Verna Crdi SX. I recently test drove the Cruze and was blown away by it. I've almost decided to cancel my Verna booking and book the Cruze LT. I only have 2 issues with the Cruze

1. Hard clutch and hard gears which will cause me grief in Chennai traffic.
2. No phone integration (Bluetooth). Especially since the HU controls so much more than the music, I guess changing the HU is out of the question. Caska is too pricey at 40K for just this option. What do you do if you get a phone call while on the road?

I drive about 25,000 kms a year with 70% of the kms on the Chennai Bangalore highway. Verna suspension leaves a lot to be desired and the Cruze is an amazing rocket! Please let me know you thoughts.

Most Viewed