Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2012, 19:29   #901
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
I have no experience on the stock size soft rubber, so cant really comment on that. But I've been running on 225/55R16 Michelin PLCs and they are superb. The sidewal remains the same and its softer rubber so comfort is enhanced. And I cannot tell enough about the grip. The car holds it's line through the turns at really good speeds beautifully. And most of all, the steering feel has changed completely. It gives substantial amount of feedback (which is missing in the stock tires).

Hope this helps!!
Forgive me, since i'm a noob in this matter.

But, what is the difference between the Yokohama S drives, CPC2s and Michelin PLCs? A little intel would definitely help.
Old 22nd April 2012, 19:37   #902
anb
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post

But, what is the difference between the Yokohama S drives, CPC2s and Michelin PLCs? A little intel would definitely help.
As far as I Know, S drives are not available in 205/60 R16, 215/60 R16, 215/55 R16 and 225/55 R16 sizes. 225/55 R16 Michelin costs around 11k per tyre. They are silent, soft and gives good comfort with adequate grip.CPC2s are cheaper than PLCs and gives more grip. Maxxis MA Z1 Victra gives more grip than CPC2 and S drives ( as per some reviews on net) and they are very VFM. But they are hard and a bit noisy. They are available in 215/55 R16 and 225/55 R16 sizes. The stock JK Vectras are the worst tyres. They are very much noisy and offer no grip.

Last edited by anb : 22nd April 2012 at 19:40.
Old 22nd April 2012, 19:49   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
As far as I Know, S drives are not available in 205/60 R16, 215/60 R16, 215/55 R16 and 225/55 R16 sizes. 225/55 R16 Michelin costs around 11k per tyre. They are silent, soft and gives good comfort with adequate grip.CPC2s are cheaper than PLCs and gives more grip. Maxxis MA Z1 Victra gives more grip than CPC2 and S drives ( as per some reviews on net) and they are very VFM. But they are hard and a bit noisy. They are available in 215/55 R16 and 225/55 R16 sizes. The stock JK Vectras are the worst tyres. They are very much noisy and offer no grip.
Quote:

I suggest you leave out the S Drives as you dont get the size.

As for the rest, any pick will be fine. But you'll have to decide on the size based on your driving. If you like driving fast and just love a communicative steering, then I'd suggest 225/55. But if you dislike a heavy steering then stock size would be better for you. My steering is pretty damn heavy with the current size but that's how I like it.

Last edited by rangakishen : 22nd April 2012 at 19:52.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:07   #904
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you leave out the S Drives as you dont get the size.

As for the rest, any pick will be fine. But you'll have to decide on the size based on your driving. If you like driving fast and just love a communicative steering, then I'd suggest 225/55. But if you dislike a heavy steering then stock size would be better for you. My steering is pretty damn heavy with the current size but that's how I like it.
Are you using the same stock rims or did you upsize to broader rims for 225/55/16? I'm planning to change my Cruze's JK Vectras to Michelin PLC or Conti CPC2 in 225/55/16. Any idea about the price difference between PLCs and CPC2s?
Old 24th April 2012, 21:43   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

rangakishen, DeKay, anb & Cruzerman (and of course mobike008:-))

Do these tyre upsizes cum change of brand lead to Chevy not honouring wheel bearing and suspension-related warranties? Why I ask is that Sundaram Motors (Chevy Bangalore dealer) warned me against changing the stock Vectras stating that they are custom-designed for the Indian Cruze and they would not honour certain parts of the warranty!

I am anyway hesitant to modify critical OEM stuff as mine is a company-leased vehicle and I have signed up multiple times to the boilerplate that I will not accessorize or modify any part of the car :-(

But still wanted to know the overall pan-India Chevy 'attitude' regarding modifications.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:12   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
rangakishen, DeKay, anb & Cruzerman (and of course mobike008:-))

Do these tyre upsizes cum change of brand lead to Chevy not honouring wheel bearing and suspension-related warranties? Why I ask is that Sundaram Motors (Chevy Bangalore dealer) warned me against changing the stock Vectras stating that they are custom-designed for the Indian Cruze and they would not honour certain parts of the warranty!

I am anyway hesitant to modify critical OEM stuff as mine is a company-leased vehicle and I have signed up multiple times to the boilerplate that I will not accessorize or modify any part of the car :-(

But still wanted to know the overall pan-India Chevy 'attitude' regarding modifications.
When I asked my dealer regarding this, he said that a change of brand in the same size wouldn't hurt the warranty but an upsize would void warranty on some parts.
And as long as you don't tell them yourself that you have changed the tires, they wont even observe it. Go to some other dealership service center. They wont even question you.
Don't know about company policies though.

Hope this helps!!
Old 25th April 2012, 12:44   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerman View Post
Are you using the same stock rims or did you upsize to broader rims for 225/55/16? I'm planning to change my Cruze's JK Vectras to Michelin PLC or Conti CPC2 in 225/55/16. Any idea about the price difference between PLCs and CPC2s?
How can you move to broader rims when your rim size is 16"? If you move to 225 instead of stock 205, only the width of the tyre increases and profile decreases

Michelin are the most expensive tyres in the market today

CPC2's are a few hundred bucks short of Michelin pricing

Quote:

S Drives are sporty tyres and provide immense grip, bit noisy and usually dont last more than 25K kms

CPC2's provide zero road noise, more than reasonably grip ( best in business for wet and gravelly roads) and will easily last more than 35K kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If you ask any dealer he will go by the rule book and will say it will void the warranty. I suggest you stick to OE tyre size as i find them great ( though havent tried 225 width size) and after change from JK vectras to either Michelin or CPC2 you will see a world of difference in performance

Quote:
And as long as you don't tell them yourself that you have changed the tires, they wont even observe it. Go to some other dealership service center. They wont even question you.
Don't know about company policies though.
Absolutely right! You can change to 225 profile and dont tell the dealer they wouldnt know anything about it. However, all this talk about warranty is for what parts when you upsize your tyre? Is it for suspension? or related parts? if yes, then definetly have the right to not honor your claim ( but, then again if your relationship is good with them they might too)

Final Summary : If your really concerned about warranty ( which you should be if buying a new car) then please stick to 16" rims and upsize to a maximum of 225 profile. However, from my experience I still recommend the 205 as they offer great balance to ride and comfort
Old 25th April 2012, 15:21   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry somehow missed your post.

About your query, No. Stock rims will do just fine. for 225/55 you need rims in the range of 6 to 7.5j. The stock rims will do!!
Price difference as quoted by Mobike is in a few hundreds.
Michelin PLC 225/55 R16 99W cost me 11,300/- per tire!!
Old 25th April 2012, 20:31   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How can you move to broader rims when your rim size is 16"? If you move to 225 instead of stock 205, only the width of the tyre increases and profile decreases

Michelin are the most expensive tyres in the market today

CPC2's are a few hundred bucks short of Michelin pricing
Sorry, my query was whether we should have 7 inch width rims instead of 6.5 (stock Cruze size) for broader 225 tyres.
Quote:
CPC2's provide zero road noise, more than reasonably grip ( best in business for wet and gravelly roads) and will easily last more than 35K kms
I have heard similar stories about CPC2s and hence very keen to get them.

Quote:
Sorry somehow missed your post.

About your query, No. Stock rims will do just fine. for 225/55 you need rims in the range of 6 to 7.5j. The stock rims will do!!
Price difference as quoted by Mobike is in a few hundreds.
Michelin PLC 225/55 R16 99W cost me 11,300/- per tire!!
Thanks for the info. I was doubtful whether the stock rim width (6.5) would be sufficient for 225/55.

11,300 seems to be okay for PLCs. A dealer here quoted 13,000. CPC2s are 10,000 but out of stock.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:24   #910
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, my query was whether we should have 7 inch width rims instead of 6.5 (stock Cruze size) for broader 225 tyres.
My car is running on 225/55 R16 tyres. It is mounted on stock rims. So far no problems.
Old 26th April 2012, 13:26   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Beileve you me Himanshu, when you drive the Cruze on a proper 4-lane highway, 120kmph seems like crawling. No, I am not kidding
Yes. To feel like you are going, it has to be about 150-160kmph. I still drive with the stock JK tyres, I believe with better tyres it should feel better. My Cruze has run 15,000km so far in one year and four months.
Old 27th April 2012, 01:11   #912
BHPian

Any of you Cruze owners get smoke and dust entering the car via the AC vents? I am having this problem recently. What could be the cause?
Old 27th April 2012, 07:03   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Any of you Cruze owners get smoke and dust entering the car via the AC vents? I am having this problem recently. What could be the cause?
Could your air circulator be on by default? This was an issue in the early days of my car purchase. The mode setting needs to be changed. There's a nice booklet which has info about the car programming. It is available with the dealer. Ask your dealer for it -- it is not on the website. There are in fact two booklets.

Otherwise, have your AC looked at. There could be a problem with the blower. Some other Cruze owners have complained about smells inside the cabin. By smoke, do you mean vapors or actual smoke? Is something burning? Have it seen by the SA right away!
Old 8th May 2012, 11:11   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

FE Update

Yesterday, topped up the tank and trip meter reading was 651kms and auto-cut took 52.50 Litres.
12.40kmpl

In entirely high density city traffic condition with almost 100% AC

This is the best FE since i bought the car.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:52   #915
BHPian

Quote:
FE Update

Yesterday, topped up the tank and trip meter reading was 651kms and auto-cut took 52.50 Litres.
12.40kmpl

In entirely high density city traffic condition with almost 100% AC

This is the best FE since i bought the car.
That's amazing. I have never got more than 11kmpl in city driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks