Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2014, 10:50   #1246
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
2/3k delay in a 50k change cyle should be perfectly ok in my opinion. As for your brakes: I hope the grating noise was the 'inbuilt warning' noise from the wear indicators on your worn pads and not something worse that has damaged your brake discs?

Good you waited till you heard the actual metallic noise before changing your pads - 99% of the time, Cruze owners are pressurized into changing the pads much too early. I am quite sure I was somewhat 'conned' into doing that for my front set changed at 28k.
Took the car to ASC as soon as I heard the grating noise and as mentioned before, it was heard only when i braked hard to come to standstill

I got my car back the same evening with rear brake pads replaced and bill was Rs.6900. They removed the front pads too, cleaned and replaced it.

While at the ASC, i went through entire service history of my car on their computer and noted the following

Brake Pads were changed only at these intervals

Front Brake Pads : 37,900kms and costed Rs.8000

Rear Brake Pads : 51,500kms and costed Rs.6900

Iam extremely happy with how the brake pads performed despite my style of driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Yes the Cruze sold in India does have a cabin air filter.It's a headache to get to, though. Needs removal of the glovebox first as it's situated right behind it.
I wasnt aware of this one. Does it come in newer models? I thought when the AC blower function reduced, they clean the AC blower filter and replace if required

Here are some pics of the White Annihilator resting at our Hotel in Kodaikanal. It performed flawlessly on this trip and it still makes me catch my breathe how it drives on the highway
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8473.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8464.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8465_01.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8478.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8479.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8467.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8463.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-_dsc8462.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 07:50   #1247
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I wasnt aware of this one. Does it come in newer models? I thought when the AC blower function reduced, they clean the AC blower filter and replace if required
Forgive me, I was under the impression it's the same thing. I have an LT too, unlike the LTZ which has a pollen filter too.

I'm not sure if it's present in the new models but logically, it would be there yes.
Old 13th January 2014, 15:18   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Hi Avi

Nice to read your regular updates on the WA. It looks like Cruze maintenance is really not expensive, as commonly perceived. I must say you are darn lucky the brakes did not trouble you on your long journey to Kodai last month.

By the way, there seems to be small inconsistency in the service records maintained by the dealer, as below:

Quote:
45,000kms Service Update

I asked for service bill and guess what, they gave me a bill for Rs.6524

Reasons :-
1. Apparently,rear brake pads were changed at 20K service along with caliper during that recall issue ( showed the details on their computer) and they said its perfectly fine as of now.
Quote:

Brake Pads were changed only at these intervals

Iam extremely happy with how the brake pads performed despite my style of driving

Old 13th January 2014, 15:30   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
By the way, there seems to be small inconsistency in the service records maintained by the dealer, as below:
As discussed offline, I double checked that on their computer again when I took the delivery of the car last week

Searched using keyword " Pads" and it showed up only 3 instances

1. 20K Kms service. It was entered as "Removed Brakepads" and cleaned and refitted. But, it was not replaced

Also, as mentioned this cost would have not gone "unnoticed" if it was replaced

Therefore, the final and perfect information is that front and rear brake pads were replaced till date only (ONCE) as per following timelines/kms

Old 14th January 2014, 09:58   #1250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2/3k delay in a 50k change cyle should be perfectly ok in my opinion.
Agree. For everything mechanical there is a 2K-3K additional threshold in most cases, So will hold on till this time to get the coolant replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
I had received a call from RTC service center about fuel hose replacement a few weeks back and I had decided to go to Hafeezpet center as that is closer to me. The guys at Hafeezpet knew nothing about the issue and promised to get back to me. After 2 weeks of followup there was still no news, so I wrote to Chevrolet and as a result got a call from Hafeezpet center (Mr Tirupati) the very next day. He confirmed that the cars need change of fuel feed, cooling fan wiring and possibly an upgrade to BCM software. They took the car and have performed all the swaps. BCM did not need an update.
I got the call yesterday morning from some lady from KUN at RTX ASC center. When I asked what is it all about , she was like we are calling all customer according to the VIN numbers available with them and couldnt offer any more info

Called Khaleel, my last Service Advisor. He too was clueless

Decided its darn waste of time talking to folks at lower levels and immediately called the service head ( Moinuddin). His phone when tried twice was busy, he promptly called me back within 10 mins

He explained that its a preventive measure and will be carried out free of cost as advised to them by Chevy. In this preventive measure, following things will be replaced

1. Diesel Fuel Hose Pipe.

2. AC Cooling wire which is currently made of aliminium. They will replace it with copper wire. Aliminium wire apparently has lesser life and reduces cooling effect faster than copper wire. This alone costs Rs 12,000

Any tech experts can confirm if this is true?

He even offered to get the car picked up and deliver the same day. Will get it done over the weekend.

However, I need to keep repeating this again and again. Iam so glad that I bought a Chevy ( instead of a Skoda..LOL) and that too from KUN (instead of ORANGE...despite many recommendations against it) for their outstanding service and superb ownership experience till date
Old 15th January 2014, 09:43   #1251
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
1. Diesel Fuel Hose Pipe.

2. AC Cooling wire which is currently made of aliminium. They will replace it with copper wire. Aliminium wire apparently has lesser life and reduces cooling effect faster than copper wire. This alone costs Rs 12,000
These were the exact 2 parts that were changed on mine too. The service advisor also mentioned that there is a recommended BCM update. I understand it was for the ABS module. However, my car's BCM was already updated so it was not needed. Overall the parts and labour cost came close to 14K and I had to pay 0 for it

Atleast Moin knew what was to be done. For me, the Hafeezpet branch was clueless and no one had any idea about it. It was only after escalation to Chevy that someone acknowledged and got it done for me.
MDe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 10:34   #1252
Distinguished - BHPian

Have driven roughly 300kms after the rear brake pads have been replaced. It brought back sweet memories of day that I took the car out of the showroom and the big scare it gave me with the strong bite of brakes during the initial days as i was not used to such powerful brakes.

Iam getting exactly the same feeling now !!!

Didn't get this amount of feel when front brake pads were replaced ( I thought they make more difference than rear ones)

Now the car feels well equipped in braking deparment
Old 16th January 2014, 12:20   #1253
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting to hear this as I had exactly the same disappointment when I changed my front set too. There was minimal improvement at least as I perceived it.

Believe this is because of the inherent rear brake bias (>60%) of the Cruze where the rear set does much more hard work than other cars. Looking forward to my rear set change in around 5k more.

Changed my battery to a new stock Exide DIN80 (MF). Also clutch changed and feeling butter smooth now. Total cost 24k for clutch and 10k for battery
Old 16th January 2014, 17:50   #1254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also clutch changed and feeling butter smooth now. Total cost 24k for clutch and 10k for battery
Clutch change at 40K kms makes me sad. Iam running strong at 52K kms and hope it works for another 20K kms, is it too ambitious?

What components they changed in this replacement?
Old 17th January 2014, 10:29   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What components they changed in this replacement?
Well, they have changed the entire kit which includes the clutch plate (5k), the pressure plate (7k) plus the actuator/release bearing (5k). Labour came to around 2.5k with sundry consumables extra. Total 24k. Clutch is butter smmoth now and better than my Polo TDI!

Can attribute this somewhat early replacement to my horrible commute in the evenings where I am in stop-start mode for more than 15km out of the total 22km. The SA mentioned that BLR traffic has always affected Cruze clutches more than other cars that he is aware of.

Just keep a sharp eye on the clutch before your long drives - is there any way to 'test' a clutch beyond checking for the 'rubber-band' effect? Don't think so - maybe have it checked before you go off on another snow-sand-gravel-Eway jaunt
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 11:26   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, they have changed the entire kit which includes the clutch plate (5k), the pressure plate (7k) plus the actuator/release bearing (5k). Labour came to around 2.5k with sundry consumables extra. Total 24k
Considering the total clutch overall, the price doesnt seem that bad. I wonder how much it costs for other similar segment cars like Laura, Altis etc.

Quote:
Can attribute this somewhat early replacement to my horrible commute in the evenings where I am in stop-start mode for more than 15km out of the total 22km. The SA mentioned that BLR traffic has always affected Cruze clutches more than other cars that he is aware of.
Bangalore is really horrible. I do come there often for work and I have a grin on my face looking at people struggling in that bumper to bumper traffic while I lounge in cab ...Hyderabad roads are heaven in comparison. My daily one-way commute is 26kms and out of which 18kms is done in 15 mins and 8 kms done in 30 mins

Quote:
Just keep a sharp eye on the clutch before your long drives - is there any way to 'test' a clutch beyond checking for the 'rubber-band' effect? Don't think so - maybe have it checked before you go off on another snow-sand-gravel-Eway jaunt
LOL. No more Snow, Sand Gravel stuff for me. In the last trip, made a mistake of driving 1065kms in one-shot and it left a tingling feeling in my left leg for almost a week. No more super long drives for me, will take it easy in 2014
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:46   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

I was out of town on work for a couple of days. So I planned in such a way that KUN visits my home, picks up the car and deliver it back the next day

This plan worked out to minute, I entered my home at same time as the driver from KUN came home to deliver the car

Things changed in the campaign :-
1. Diesel Fuel Hose Pipe
2. AC Coil Wire

They washed the car and topped up nitrogen and delivered it back in time and in spic and span condition.

Total Damages : Rs.15 but, I paid Rs.100 to driver for his efforts.

KUN services continue to keep me happy !!!
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:24   #1258

Hi,

I own a Oct 2011 LT which has done only 30K as of yet and love the car to death but lately i am realizing that that there is just too much noise and discomfort on uneven roads with potholes etc.

I have just moved to mumbai where roads are still stuck at a level where delhi was 20 yrs ago and its a pain driving my cruze around as its becoming a tad uncomfortable.

Has anyone else had ride quality issues recently? What part of my suspension should i get checked?

PS : The alloys look awesome now on the WA! How did you get them done?

thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:18   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-head View Post
Hi,

I own a Oct 2011 LT which has done only 30K as of yet and love the car to death but lately i am realizing that that there is just too much noise and discomfort on uneven roads with potholes etc.

thanks
Could be the tyres more than the suspension IMHO. I had a May 11 LTZ which I recently sold, had similar noise issues which disappeared on changing the tyres. I used the stock JK Vectras for about 40k km
asterix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:22   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Believe this is because of the inherent rear brake bias (>60%) of the Cruze where the rear set does much more hard work than other cars.
THat doesn't sound right. Where is this info from?

Most Viewed