Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:44   #1201
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived.EDIT:Shod with Michelin Primacy 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You say XENEX bought back and saying you didnt get anything for them in same breathe? Didnt quite get what you mean?

Are you saying he wanted you to leave stock tyres in his stores even if he was not willing to pay you anything? Why did you even listen to him as its your decision what you will do with old tyres.

Bottomline, unless you get a killer deal from any other dealer ( Like I got for my CPC2) its always best to stick to Ashoka Wheels for tyre purchases.
Hmm my bad it was a typo,

They were not ready to buy back the old tyres, I was not aware if someone would buy them outside so I left them at their work shop.

I enquired few places and felt price of 5900 INR/tyre where the best I could get.
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:34   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST VS. Continental Premium Contact 2

Quote:
One strange thing that I note now is car feels little heavier than before and seems to have lost a bit of accelaration, you know the ability to take off seems to have come down a bit. Iam not sure whether it's due to my overall gentler handling of the car due to run-in period of tyres or these tyres have indeed made that difference.
Maybe they are so sticky that it feels that way
Play around with the pressures a little bit and see if it helps.
Old 27th October 2013, 16:43   #1203
BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST VS. Continental Premium Contact 2

Quote:
This could be little too early to form an accurate feedback. Nevertheless, thought of sharing a brief feedback of Michelin Primacy 3 ST after driving for about 200kms over the last 3 days which was covered entirely in the city. Since I had already experienced a better tyre than the OEM (JK Vectra) that were provided by Chevy with Cruze. Let me make this short review constructive by comparing it with Continental Premium Contact 2 (CPC2) which I used for 47,000kms
Hi, nice review of the tires. I myself am taking delivery of the Polo GT TSI next week and bit confused regarding the tire upgrade. Have shortlisted cpc2, 3 ST and xm2 in 195/60 R15. Sine you have used all the three, can you give your opinion on these.

thank you
Old 28th October 2013, 14:07   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived.EDIT:Shod with Michelin Primacy 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Maybe they are so sticky that it feels that way
Play around with the pressures a little bit and see if it helps.
Yeah Deep, Thats a valid point. Could be due to better grip the accelaration may have gone down. Will know for sure as I crunch more miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi, nice review of the tires. I myself am taking delivery of the Polo GT TSI next week and bit confused regarding the tire upgrade. Have shortlisted cpc2, 3 ST and xm2 in 195/60 R15. Sine you have used all the three, can you give your opinion on these.
I will make your shortlist simpler

you can safely take Michelin Primacy 3 ST out of the contention as they come only between 16" to 19"

So now you have to decide between the CPC2 and XM2 and I have outlined all the strengths & weaknesses of the CPC2.

XM2 is exactly like CPC2 except for the wet grip. If you dont expect to drive much in wet conditions, do choose the XM2 as its universal and more popular than the CPC2.

Hope this helps
Old 28th October 2013, 14:15   #1205
BHPian

Quote:

Yeah Deep, Thats a valid point. Could be due to better grip the accelaration may have gone down. Will know for sure as I crunch more miles

I will make your shortlist simpler

you can safely take Michelin Primacy 3 ST out of the contention as they come only between 16" to 19"
Its not simpler. Primacy 3 ST is indeed available in 195/60 r15 now and costs 6200. Xm2 costs 6000 and cpc2 5600... Now is 3 ST worth the extra money?
Old 28th October 2013, 14:18   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Its not simpler. Primacy 3 ST is indeed available in 195/60 r15 now and costs 6200. Xm2 costs 6000 and cpc2 5600... Now is 3 ST worth the extra money?
Comparing between XM2 and 3 ST with 200 bucks as difference. Just close your eyes and go for 3 ST.

I would recommend you not to go with CPC2 even though I liked it a lot purely for reasons that no dealer seems to be pushing these tyres and are more interested to sell fast moving goods ( Read, Bridgestone, Michelin etc)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:27   #1207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Comparing between XM2 and 3 ST with 200 bucks as difference. Just close your eyes and go for 3 ST.
I still feel it's not that easy. Even though the 3 ST may have tougher sidewalls than the P LC, it may not be as strong as the XM2.

Secondly, 3 ST are silent tyres designed for ride comfort which means a softer compound. Life of XM2 will be more than the 3 ST pretty sure.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:20   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I still feel it's not that easy. Even though the 3 ST may have tougher sidewalls than the P LC, it may not be as strong as the XM2.
This is pure speculation and nobody will know for sure at the moment.

Quote:
Secondly, 3 ST are silent tyres designed for ride comfort which means a softer compound. Life of XM2 will be more than the 3 ST pretty sure.
This again is speculation as 3 ST is just 2-3 months old tyre and is released specifically for our market so obviously they looked at all parameters before releasing this tyre including the longetivity

Besides above, 3 ST feels much more premium (in ride quality) than the XM2 for sure

If I was choosing a tyre between these two with such low price difference, like i said before will pick the 3 ST eyes closed.
Old 28th October 2013, 15:28   #1209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This again is speculation as 3 ST is just 2-3 months old tyre and is released specifically for our market so obviously they looked at all parameters before releasing this tyre including the longetivity
Let me check up on the life and strength from some other international reputed reviews in the evening from home.

But, one thing. The P3 ST is no ways released specifically for India. It's been on sale in Malaysia and Australia already for a while.

The made for Indian roads is more marketing talk than fact. It may have some strengthening added which they are saying is designed for Indian roads. How much strength compared to XM2 remains to be seen.
Old 28th October 2013, 15:54   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3 ST is a tyre made specifically for the S.E A market and their weather and road conditions and was launched in Malaysia in July 2013. Michelin has tested these tyres for more than 1.3 Million kms in the S.E region before releasing these tyres.

Some additional information about this new model from Michelin can be found in these links :-

http://paultan.org/2013/07/03/michel...laysia-launch/

http://www.philstar.com/motoring/201...o-yai-thailand

http://paultan.org/2013/06/22/michel...y-3-st-tested/
Quote:
But, one thing. The P3 ST is no ways released specifically for India. It's been on sale in Malaysia and Australia already for a while.

The made for Indian roads is more marketing talk than fact. It may have some strengthening added which they are saying is designed for Indian roads. How much strength compared to XM2 remains to be seen.
Nope Viddy, Iam aware its a tyre specifically meant for SEA market as I already mentioned in my previous posts

Lets see how it pans out in the long run. After driving for 250kms, Iam quite impressed with them.
Old 28th October 2013, 16:06   #1211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope Viddy, Iam aware its a tyre specifically meant for SEA market as I already mentioned in my previous posts

Lets see how it pans out in the long run. After driving for 250kms, Iam quite impressed with them.
That's always been the case Avi. There are very few tyres for worldwide use. UK and US get summer and winter tyres.

SEA market gets different tyres than what UK and US gets because of weather.

The Primacy 3 ST is not just SEA but for Australia as well. It's in essence a summer tyre.

The real test will be on bad roads rather than smooth ORR type stretches. Still to see a test comparing them to the XM2.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 18:08   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's always been the case Avi. There are very few tyres for worldwide use. UK and US get summer and winter tyres.
The predominant tyre type in the US is the 'all-season' tire, which means its works for snow & summer but does not excel in either conditions.

Having 2 separate sets for summer & winter is popular all over Europe. (I would prefer this personally although it becomes difficult with multiple cars)

Tires like 3ST & Yoko dB make sense if you do a lot of highway driving I suppose

Last edited by Mpower : 29th October 2013 at 18:08.
Old 28th October 2013, 19:18   #1213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Besides above, 3 ST feels much more premium (in ride quality) than the XM2 for sure
Which is precisely why Vidyut is saying the P3STs won't be as strong as the XM2s in terms of the sidewall. Either you get good ride, or you get strength. Getting both is difficult.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 20:26   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Not really!

XM2s are tougher than the predecessor XM1 and have not compromised anything in ride comfort !

Last edited by Mpower : 28th October 2013 at 21:43.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 21:17   #1215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Not really!

XM2 are tougher than the predecessor XM1 and have not compromised anything in ride comfort !
Well I'm sure with technological advancements they can offer a good ride upto a certain extent even with tough sidewalls. But personally I don't think that would be too much.

Most Viewed