Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 10:44   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived.EDIT:Shod with Michelin Primacy 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Tires like 3ST & Yoko dB make sense if you do a lot of highway driving I suppose
+1. Considering out of my previous 47,000kms, more than 50% of it was on highway drives with majority being good roads, so CPC2's made a lot of sense. Hence, I chose the all round 3 ST just for those reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Which is precisely why Vidyut is saying the P3STs won't be as strong as the XM2s in terms of the sidewall. Either you get good ride, or you get strength. Getting both is difficult.
I disagree. I have used XM2 on my Viva CRDI for 35,000kms and they were indeed awesome compared to its OEM tyres which were Bridgestone 3XX something and since I love driving all over the place, it took lot of brunt of good and bad roads as well without twitching

With regards to 3 ST being better at taking the abuse, nobody can confirm as of now and going by reviews of international forums wont help much as their road conditions would be way better than us

We'll just have to wait it out/learn from self experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Not really!XM2s are tougher than the predecessor XM1 and have not compromised anything in ride comfort !
+1 again. XM2 took a lot of abuse when I used it and held strong. 3 ST is supposedly a better technology tyre so iam expecting same or better output

Quote:
Well I'm sure with technological advancements they can offer a good ride upto a certain extent even with tough sidewalls. But personally I don't think that would be too much.
Who knows Michelin may have just done it. Let's wait and watch
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 21:00   #1217
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived.EDIT:Shod with Michelin Primacy 3

Thanks guys.

Happy that i was part of a really informative discussion here. So have at last decided to bite the bullet and go with PRIMACY 3 ST. Lets see what's in store for me. Will give my feedback once i have some time behind the wheels.
drpudhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 21:26   #1218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I disagree. I have used XM2 on my Viva CRDI for 35,000kms and they were indeed awesome compared to its OEM tyres which were Bridgestone 3XX something and since I love driving all over the place, it took lot of brunt of good and bad roads as well without twitching

+1 again. XM2 took a lot of abuse when I used it and held strong. 3 ST is supposedly a better technology tyre so iam expecting same or better output
Just one clarification Avi.

When did you run XM2 on Viva? The XM2's were launched in India in March 2012. An all new tyre with new design.

Before that we had the XM1 and XM1+. The XM1+ fixed only one issue from the XM1 of very low life. The + indicated more silica and 20-25% longer life due to increased tread depth.

The XM2 came 3 years later and was much more superior to the XM1+ in all parameters.

So, yes the 3ST might be better than the older Primacy LC for sure. But how much they sacrificed for the soft ride and noise for abuse remains to be seen.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 11:13   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just one clarification Avi.

When did you run XM2 on Viva? The XM2's were launched in India in March 2012. An all new tyre with new design.

Before that we had the XM1 and XM1+. The XM1+ fixed only one issue from the XM1 of very low life. The + indicated more silica and 20-25% longer life due to increased tread depth.

So, yes the 3ST might be better than the older Primacy LC for sure. But how much they sacrificed for the soft ride and noise for abuse remains to be seen.
Nice catch Viddy. I goofed up on the 1, 2 + etc

So it must be XM1+ energy series. I installed them in 2009 ( I think and used it till I sold the Viva before buying the Cruze in Aug-2010)

I heard XM2 was pretty good over the XM1+ but, coming from a Bridgestone 322 to XM1+ itself was a huge improvement and loved that tyre.
Old 7th November 2013, 19:37   #1220
BHPian

Hi, got my GT delivered yesterday. Changed the stock tires to Primacy 3 ST 195/60 R15 right out of the showroom. Really could feel the difference right away. High point is even my wife felt the difference !
Thanks for your input.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:44   #1221
Distinguished - BHPian

After many weekends, I had some time today so what best than spend it doing some minor cosmetic mods to the car at my friendly local garage

1. Stickered the front hang ( just below the fog lamp) and spray painted the plastic floor board to give it an even look as stickers/adhesives dont stick on properly to plastic ( No pictures of same, will share it early next week)

2. I had initially painted only four alloys, today even the spare got painted

Below are some pictures of the spare alloy painted, first applied primer then coated with matt black spray paint

Things are going simply too smooth with WA, runs like clockwork and smokes everyone on the road especially with new rubber

P.S: Tomorrow have a 300kms team-bhp driver and first highway trip after Michelins are installed so will get a fair idea of their performance post this trip. Will post more pictures next week
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_00001771.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_00001773.jpg  

Old 5th December 2013, 10:35   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
After many weekends, I had some time today so what best than spend it doing some minor cosmetic mods to the car at my friendly local garage

1. Stickered the front hang ( just below the fog lamp) and spray painted the plastic floor board to give it an even look as stickers/adhesives dont stick on properly to plastic ( No pictures of same, will share it early next week)

2. I had initially painted only four alloys, today even the spare got painted

Below are some pictures of the spare alloy painted, first applied primer then coated with matt black spray paint

Things are going simply too smooth with WA, runs like clockwork and smokes everyone on the road especially with new rubber

P.S: Tomorrow have a 300kms team-bhp driver and first highway trip after Michelins are installed so will get a fair idea of their performance post this trip. Will post more pictures next week

Hi Avi,
Looking at your alloys painted black, i am getting tempted to have my car's alloy painted black. The silver and Black combo is something that would look equally good as yours look in white + black.

I might have missed out the cost , but wanted to know since you been driving post the color change for a long time, do you see the need of getting it repainted due to wear n tear and the Indian roads on which we drive
RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 18:41   #1223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Hi Avi,
Looking at your alloys painted black, i am getting tempted to have my car's alloy painted black. The silver and Black combo is something that would look equally good as yours look in white + black.

I might have missed out the cost , but wanted to know since you been driving post the color change for a long time, do you see the need of getting it repainted due to wear n tear and the Indian roads on which we drive
I don't know how well or how long the spray paint will last. But for about 3k per alloy you can get it painted to OEM specs, with a different primer for the wheel, coats of paint and clear coat on top. So it will last as long as an OE wheel's finish does. Check out my 3 series thread, have got something similar done.
Old 9th December 2013, 00:44   #1224
BHPian

Hi, want to ask you regarding cabin air filter- does the Indian cruze have it? If yes have you got it changed and at what odo reading?
Old 9th December 2013, 21:41   #1225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Hi Avi, Looking at your alloys painted black, i am getting tempted to have my car's alloy painted black. I might have missed out the cost , but wanted to know since you been driving post the color change for a long time, do you see the need of getting it repainted due to wear n tear and the Indian roads on which we drive
Its now about 10 months that I have painted the alloys and they are as good as new and not even a single flak has come off. Primarily because it was done with two step process

1. Apply Primer
2. Spray Paint

It costed me a measly Rs.300 bucks per alloy. Go for it, it will change the overall look of the car.

Quote:
But for about 3k per alloy you can get it painted to OEM specs, with a different primer for the wheel, coats of paint and clear coat on top. So it will last as long as an OE wheel's finish does. Check out my 3 series thread, have got something similar done.
3K is a lot of money to get the alloy painted. IMO, its not worth it.

I know a friend who got his Skoda RS alloys painted greyish silver from a reputed garage of a friend who charged him Rs.7000 for 4 wheels, even that I felt was a rip off considering the quality of paint of his alloys are similar or worse than mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Hi, want to ask you regarding cabin air filter- does the Indian cruze have it? If yes have you got it changed and at what odo reading?
I dont beileve the Cruze comes with a cabin air filter. Atleast not that iam aware of

Here is a pic of my car taken just a few days ago, alloy paint look as good as new, sorry for poor quality as its a mobile picture
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_00001762_edit.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th December 2013 at 21:42.
Old 11th December 2013, 11:55   #1226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Battery Update

Finally it happened. Today morning I cranked the car and it just wont start. I realized the battery has conked off.

I called the SA and he said ACDelco batteries are dry batteries and does not need any maintenance and are use and throw batteries. When enquired what is cost of new battery he said its around Rs.11,000 and insisted since its almost 22 months over and warranty for battery is only for 12 months, I need to cough up

I mentioned to him that I know the problems of ACDelco batteries requested him to replace FREE of cost or i will have to write to GM and escalate the matter.

He asked me to hold on and said will call me up before evening to let me know if it can be replaced free of cost.

Phew!!!
mobike008,

My 30 month Cruze's battery is probably getting weak with the starter sounding quite sluggish, especially during mornings.

Also the SA warned me that while it will run for some time now, NOT changing it may damage the engine mounts due to excessive shaking.

What do you advise? The SA also mentioned that a new Exide one is around 13k with exchange price of the current one being only 500 bucks!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 08:32   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What do you advise? The SA also mentioned that a new Exide one is around 13k with exchange price of the current one being only 500 bucks!
30 Months is decent timeframe for the battery to have lasted. If existing battery starting giving indications of going weak its best to get it im mediately replaced as you wouldnt want to get stuck with a dead one in middle of the road

Pricing seems apt for both new battery and exchange offer. Double check the pricing at couple of other places before biting the dust
Old 12th December 2013, 16:43   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I've got the 3ST in the stock size on my EcoSport, and I have (unintentionally) put it through some abuse:
  • Crashed into 4-5 large potholes at speeds of 60-70 km/h
  • 2 of those were at the bottom end of flyovers, so there was added weight/momentum on the front-end that went in
  • Dropped one wheel into a ditch bordered by limestone (smoothly finished) and needed some strong engine revs to get out

Despite all of this, the tyres are holding up well, with no sidewall damage or bulges visible, and with tire pressures not dropping unexpectedly.

My heart no longer sinks when I drop a wheel into an unseen pothole. I think these tyres are quite hardy - atleast, they're definitely not fragile.

I would definitely go back to the 3ST for any future upgrade - apart from the price, in my books it wins on every other parameter (grip, braking, noise, etc.). And for such a good tyre, the price is worth it.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 17:16   #1229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
  • Crashed into 4-5 large potholes at speeds of 60-70 km/h
  • 2 of those were at the bottom end of flyovers, so there was added weight/momentum on the front-end that went in
  • Dropped one wheel into a ditch bordered by limestone (smoothly finished) and needed some strong engine revs to get out
I have driven my car roughly 2000kms after installing the 3ST and have driven mostly in city with one outstation trip of 400kms and I have similar observations. They look like they can take some serious abuse and iam totally enjoying the difference they are making in the grip and handling.

I refilled nitrogen yesterday and drop was just 2 PSI in all tyres in more than a month
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 19:58   #1230
MDe
BHPian

The wheels and the brakes caliper look great as always. Good to hear about the performance of the new tyres as well.
On a different note, I read a report in the paper a few days back about a Cruze catching fire on ORR. Here is my post on that :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3321473

Interestingly, today I got a call from Chevrolet service center that they want me to bring the car for a fuel hose change as they are replacing it for all cars. Worried if there is a issue which has come up on vehicles from 2011. Will schedule and get it done soon. Did you also get a call on something similar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks