Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 16:56   #1306
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Wanted to ask these specific questions on the Cruze.

1. Can the Cruze Automatic be remapped? I have seen RD tuning boxes used on the automatic Cruze on the forum. But, Wanted to know about the remap. Do torque converter auto boxes (like the one on the cruze) have limitations on the torque and power figures like on the DSG's?

2. I took the Cruze automatic for a spin this weekend and liked it. But, paddle shifters would have made it more fun than tiptronic. Can paddle shifters be sourced from anywhere else and be fitted on the Cruze?

3. How good / bad an idea is it to buy a new Cruze say 3 or 4 months from now. Considering that the new Cruze is set for launch in an years time(I sadly don't like the look of the upcoming Cruze). How good an idea is it to buy a say 20k km / 2 year run Cruze? I have heard that its a rather reliable car. Would it serve well for next 4 years?
Here you go :-

1. Ofcourse, remapping is the state of tune of the ECU and has nothing to do with gearbox per se. Iam not sure about the Autobox in Cruze vs. DSG limitation with a remap or tuning box installed. You can perhaps check directly with Racedynamics or Pete's for an accurate input

2. I personally didnt like the Cruze AT as much as the manual version. With regards to paddle shifters being added. I suppose it can be done. However, I have personally not seen it done on any Cruze so it will be an experiment of sourcing and installing it.

3. If you dont have a plan of buying the new Cruze then pick up a 20K kms done Cruze and it will serve you well. I have done 58K kms in 3 years and 10 months and it still drives like new.

I personally never had any issue with my car and it runs flawlessly even now. I have dropped plans of selling WA ( normally i get the itch to replace in 3-4 years) and plan to use my Cruze until 1 Lakh kms ( hopefully, it runs smoothly till that magic figure as well).

If I sell this i dont know of any other equally fast diesel to replace. Hence, WA stays
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 12:34   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Mobike,

Took the plunge and bought both the EW (Rs. 15,500) for 2 years or 1,50,000 km whichever is earlier plus the RSA for Rs. 1,000 per year.

Feeling contented now and will definitely keep my LT for 2 years more - am doing around 15k km per year so will be at the 75k km mark in 5 years.

As you mentioned, haven't spotted anything to directly replace this superfast cruiser!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 15:56   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Took the plunge and bought both the EW (Rs. 15,500) for 2 years or 1,50,000 km whichever is earlier plus the RSA for Rs. 1,000 per year.
Congrats. Isnt that a lot of money for 2 years extended warranty (EW)? I thought it costed some 3.5K per year?

Road Side Assistance (RSA)? Iam not even sure if this works well? what if you get stuck in some interior location? Will you still get service from Chevy?

Iam contented without an EW & RSA. Iam quite a risk taker; aint I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
As you mentioned, haven't spotted anything to directly replace this superfast cruiser!
I wracked my brains quite a few times to see which other car can be as fast and decided it has to be the Skoda vRS but, considering its a petrol and my 15K kms mileage per year, its not a sensible choice
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:45   #1309
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent updated this thread in a while as iam clocking more kms on my 2 wheels than my 4 wheels

You can read about my new passion here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...omes-home.html

Having said above, I have absolutely zero issues with Cruze and its become horribly predictable and works like a charm each time

Incidentally, today its 4th year insurance expires and I got a great deal from United Insurance ( who actually did my bike insurance as well) with following

IDV : 8 Lakhs
Premium Amount : INR 11,500 ( Best quote was 13,500 from ICICI Bank)

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd July 2014 at 17:47.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:00   #1310
BHPian

Hi Avi,
By any chance have you changed the headlights of the car? Off late i am observing the lights not being very effective and when i compare with other cars, their lights seem much brighter and stronger.

I dont want to have DLR or white light. Please do let me know if you upgraded and which one would you recommend for upgrade.
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:53   #1311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
By any chance have you changed the headlights of the car? Off late i am observing the lights not being very effective and when i compare with other cars, their lights seem much brighter and stronger.
Actually, I never had any problems with stock bulbs of Cruze and used them for nearly 3.5 years and changed the bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers just as an experiment

ON are certainly good but, i didn't find any major difference from stock bulbs

P.S: Even I hate those white lights and prefer the regular yellow bulbs which give better visibility anyway
Old 31st July 2014, 13:46   #1312
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning when I rolled out of home, I noticed the same issue crop up again

1. ABS Sensor light up and wont go away. The car makes quite a few beeps before shutting down giving us the warning on the ABS light

2. Then a few hundred meters away I noticed that the handbrake signal was also on. I immediately checked and see that handbrake was not applied.

3. After driving a few kms, I heard a small electronic clink and then note the trip meter disappears (just ----) and odometer stops working and stopped at the number you see in the picture

Points 1 & 2, could be same issue of rats nibbling into the sensor wires

Point 3....Iam not sure what could be wrong

Plan to visit the ASC to see what they think is wrong with WA
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_20140731_100249.jpg  

Old 5th August 2014, 16:58   #1313
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the car back the next day after all issues being properly attended.

However, I was not lucky this time like couple of times in the recent past with respect to a quick fix to wires

They had to replace 3 sensors ( Front Right ABS, Odometer Console, Handbrake) and including changing the wiper blades, interior clean and wash the bill came to INR 9,973

Out of above cost, rats nibbled away ~ 8K from my wallet and now iam forced to park my car out on street due to this fear
Old 5th August 2014, 17:16   #1314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Out of above cost, rats nibbled away ~ 8K from my wallet and now iam forced to park my car out on street due to this fear
I am so sorry to hear that. Please check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html
for advice on how to avoid this problem.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:54   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam excited to report that iam just a few kms away from magic figure of 60,000kms on the White Annihilator

Touchwood, the car performs just as it was from the showroom and have no major complaint as such

However, I have been noticing a very faint sound ( can't even call it a sound as its something mechanical) when i start the car and start from standstill and take a left there is a faint sound and then everything is alright and no other sound in rolling speeds or high speeds

What could be that sound related to? Aligment or front axle or something else?

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th September 2014 at 12:55.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:19   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

White Annihilator completes 60,000kms yesterday after a little over 4 years. I have nothing more to add to what i have already mentioned several times

It has been an awesome journey with this speed machine and not once did it break-down on me and never had any issues till date with it except for some minor ones that I can probably re-cap from my entire 4 year journey just from my memory and not scanning through my thread are :-

1. Battery replacement (Done by Chevrolet as goodwill gesture)
2. Flywheel replacement (Done by Chevrolet as goodwill gesture)
3. Fuel Hose Replacment (Done by Chevrolet as goodwill gesture)
4. Rats eating into the sensor wires ( Unavoidable due to issues in my parking area)

All of above was done within a few hours or giving and car and returned the same day. What more can I ask?

Also, My car never went into KUN overnight till date. Isn't that a record?

Each time i give it for service at 10:00am and always got it back by 6:00pm

I am just taking a rough guess my maintenance/service cost may not even have exceeded Rs.1/km

Car works like a charm even till date and if you enjoy driving and want a reliable fast car that guzzles the lesser costly fuel. Cruze all the way !!!
I can sum up my experience in three simple words-- Iam lovin' IT

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_20140916_192645.jpg

P.S: Look at the fuel guage at 133kms. I still get a healthy 11.50kmpl in city even with some hard and fast driving

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th September 2014 at 12:20.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:10   #1317
MDe
BHPian

@Avinash: Congrats for reaching another milestone! This thread has really been a thread that everyone would have read when they speak about Cruze on the forum, so it might be safe to say that you would have inspired quite a few people

I see that you got the bumper painted at a local garage. The pictures show matching shades, which is really good. I also wanted to get a small dent removed from my fender. The "Carz" guys at Madhapur said that they can match up the paint shade perfectly and fix the dent for 4k. I am not sure of the price for fixing a dent and a fender paint job. I am also concerned about the shade of white that put and color quality. I saw some paint jobs that they showed and it looked good, but they were end to end paint jobs, so change in color shade could not be determined. If your painter matched it well, I might give him a shot. Please let me know how the shade is matching up to WA.
MDe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:34   #1318
BANNED

Quote:
White Annihilator completes 60,000kms yesterday after a little over 4 years. I have nothing more to add to what i have already mentioned several times
Congratulations Avi on reaching the milestone. Good to see the WA being used even when you are more tempted to ride the BB!

Wish too see it cross the magical 1 lakh mark.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:48   #1319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
@Avinash: Congrats for reaching another milestone! This thread has really been a thread that everyone would have read when they speak about Cruze on the forum, so it might be safe to say that you would have inspired quite a few people
Thanks. Yeah, I think it all boils down to how much passion you have to not just own a vehicle but, also share your experiences with others so they too can benefit ( I leave no leaves unturned on that aspect)

Besides above, I have been truly lucky to have bought a car impromptu and had such wonderful experience. Same as the Bonnie that I bought recently, looks like i get away with impromptu decisions more than well-thought out ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
I saw some paint jobs that they showed and it looked good, but they were end to end paint jobs, so change in color shade could not be determined. If your painter matched it well, I might give him a shot. Please let me know how the shade is matching up to WA.
My car had a couple of nasty dents and paint peeled off ( both on rear fender, one above and one below the wheel arch) and scratches from leaving at the airport for one full week during a recent trip to Goa.

I took the car to my local guy and he fixed it for 1500 bucks...LOL and yeah the color matches up to a large extent and maybe can be figured out by experts at the showroom but, to a naked eye, you cannot make out for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations Avi on reaching the milestone. Good to see the WA being used even when you are more tempted to ride the BB!
Thanks. Yeah, if i hadnt the BB, then I might have touched around 70K kms by now
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:49   #1320
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, if i hadnt the BB, then I might have touched around 70K kms by now
Lol!

Why don't you give the BB some rest or lend it to me?!

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks