Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 11:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
NOT AT ALL This is reverse crank prevention system at work. It happens when you unknowingly move the key to slightly more than the ignition on position. It doesnt result in a crank per se but the car won't let you crank it again without turning off and then back on again.
Ok, thanks! I knew about the double crank prevention system - but I was in doubt because I was sure that I hadn't 'knowingly' tried to crank it twice when I hit the problem. Maybe, as you said, I moved it more than required unknowingly.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

1K Crossed!

The odo now stands 1150km. I had a highway trip (Cochin-Thrissur) this weekend. I wanted to do a mileage test, but a combination of a long traffic jam, end-of-Onam-vacation traffic and some (uncalled for) spirited driving meant that the combined average of both trips is only about 15.5kmpl.

Two features that I thought were not important, but miss already:
1. Remote boot lid opening: A boon during shopping, especially when the car is out in the rain.
2. Electrically folding ORVM: My parking spot is slightly short on space, with a wall on one side and a Scorpio in the next (equally tight) parking spot. How I wish I could fold my left ORVM when parking so that I'll have a little more space to open the driver's door after parking and get out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjo View Post
Regarding point 3, there is an external volume setting on the HU. Check the Menu button on HU. Let me know if you need more help.
Thanks!

Last edited by StarrySky : 30th August 2010 at 08:18.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:59   #63
BHPian

Congrats on your Punto 90HP. I own a BNW too and find the car to be very very fun to drive though mine is the 75bhp one.

Glad to see you are loving the GP and happy mile crunching for you. Do a proper photo shoot of your car it will be fun to see it in full flow. I can't help fall in love with my car everyday when I drive it.
By the way I have been getting around 535 to 545 kms on a full tank 39 to 40 litres with 100% city driving and 100% ac.

I have a fuel calculator on my phone that I maintain when ever I fill my car. This helps me keep track of my car.

Kailash
Old 12th September 2010, 17:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

A few more pics of the car

Exterior Shots
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03189_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03191_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03212_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03251_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03254_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03256_1024.jpg

Now a few shots of the interior
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03223_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03226_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03265_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03267_1024.jpg

Now a few problems:
Misaligned lock on the boot. Although I have never had a problem opening the boot with the boot opener or manually with the key.
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03263_1024.jpg

The beading on the driver's door. It hasn't come off, and doesn't feel like it would.
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03264_1024.jpg

Two scratches. Entirely my creation.
There is some contruction going on in my apartment complex, so the ground is not level. Went in a bit too fast into a "pothole" in the night and this is the result:
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03259_1024.jpg

This one again, bumped another car while taking reverse. I was a bit too focussed on the RHS and touched the rear bumper of a parked Dzire.
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03260_1024.jpg

Need some advice here:
Stubborn (tar) particles that stay behind even after a wash. If I try to remove them, they spread! Any ideas how to get rid of them?
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03269_1024.jpg

Last, but not the least
I have tried to capture the noise level inside the cabin at idle, with the driver's window rolled up and then rolled down (and finally rolled up). Hope this helps.
Old 12th September 2010, 20:15   #65
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Need some advice here:
Stubborn (tar) particles that stay behind even after a wash. If I try to remove them, they spread! Any ideas how to get rid of them?
Attachment 422618
A simple diesel wash will do the trick. Or simply take a cloth, dip the end in diesel and rub them off gently, they will disappear.

Old 12th September 2010, 20:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
A simple diesel wash will do the trick. Or simply take a cloth, dip the end in diesel and rub them off gently, they will disappear.
Thanks for the tip. Someone else suggested rubbing with kerosene. I am a bit apprehensive because I'm not sure if it will affect the paint job in any way.
Old 12th September 2010, 21:28   #67
BHPian

congrats, so when can we see some mods now like pete's or kiirus, projectors and all
Old 12th September 2010, 23:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

StarrySky - Congratulations!!

As you have mentioned, Punto with better interiors would have increased the acceptable ratings. Never the less, great car to own and drive - I particularly liked it's ride quality.

All the best to you. Drive safe!
Old 12th September 2010, 23:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
congrats, so when can we see some mods now like pete's or kiirus, projectors and all
I haven't planned any mods yet, especially performance mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
StarrySky - Congratulations!!

As you have mentioned, Punto with better interiors would have increased the acceptable ratings. Never the less, great car to own and drive - I particularly liked it's ride quality.

All the best to you. Drive safe!
Thanks, Chetan! You are right about the interiors and the ride quality!
Old 13th September 2010, 08:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

StarrySky: Will you be elaborating a bit on the performance? May-be, in gear accelerations - I can wait until the run-in is completed. At what RPM does the Turbo kick in?
Old 13th September 2010, 09:44   #71
BHPian

Tar issue

I have purchased smartwax from petes for detailing my punto. It works like a miracle on tar debris and the painted parts shines like any thing. I am curious about diesel wash as i think it can affect the paint job.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The low fuel warning came on today and I filled her up. She took in 39.95 litres (auto cut-off).

FE as per MID:
--------------
Distance: 593.8km
Avg.Speed: 28kmph
FE: 15.0kmpl

FE by manual calculation comes to 14.86kmpl.

The usage included in-city runs of around 260km (44%) and the rest were non-city runs. I say non-city because I didn't have any true highway trips.

All mileage figures are with AC on 100%.

Other observations:
- Enough has been said about the ride quality of the Punto, but I would like to mention it again. It gives me a great chance to execute some low-speed overtaking because most other cars have to slow done much more than I do to negotiate bad patches.
- I did more than 300km on the Muvattupuzha-Cochin route. This route has lots of twists and turns with road going up, turns with road going down, blind curves and what not. I was quite impressed with the Punto's capabilities in tackling this route. The behaviour on the turns is very much predictable and I never felt out of control even in the rain. It was fun lining up the cars on the turns and overtaking them on the following 'straights'!!
- And the trips returned good FE as well. The combined average of the last 3 trips in the route is 19.8kmpl.
- The steering is light enough at parking speeds. I have never had a problem with it. I understand that the steering has been made lighter compared to the FGT version.
- Based on instantaneous consumption figures, the best FE seems to be achieved at just below 2K rpm in 5th gear - that corresponds to a speed of about 75-80kmph. But I need a long highway trip to experiment with different speeds/rpms.
- Rear parking sensor is a boon!!
- I don't know if it's just me, but I'm spotting a lot more Puntos/Lineas on the road after getting my car
rear parking sensor? does it have those not mentioned in the feature list though, i am really confused to get a punto/Manza/Xylo i know they are different leagues, but my family already have a santro and i do not really feel need for a xylo considering low mileage.

Could somebody also suggest the same compared to punto in handling department etc. majorily in city driving conditions.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
rear parking sensor? does it have those not mentioned in the feature list though, i am really confused to get a punto/Manza/Xylo i know they are different leagues, but my family already have a santro and i do not really feel need for a xylo considering low mileage.

Could somebody also suggest the same compared to punto in handling department etc. majorily in city driving conditions.
Punto does not have rear parking sensors as standard feature.
One can get them installed from the dealership.
You choice depends upon your monthly run, your preferences and your willingness to spend on type of fuel(petrol/diesel)

Edit- My father was also considering Manza/Linea initially but we rejected it because we do not really need a bigger boot. Punto has a 280L boot(Linea=500L). And it is much more than what we need.

Punto has much better ride and handling.

Beat seat of Manza is way better than punto but I find Punto is good enough for me. I'm 182cm tall but my knees don't touch the back of the drivers seat when I sit at the back with the drivers seat pushed back as per my convenience.

Hatchbacks are easier to drive in city, park in congested city parkings. Punto has bigger turning radius as per hatch standards but I'm ok with it. At least I can take U-turn in narrow streets where Sedans can't.

Regarding Fuel Economy, Fiat's 1.3MJD gives around 18kmpl in city traffic with AC and around 20-22kmpl on highways as per user reviews.

StarrySky's Punto is one month old and hasn't completed 1st service so it is giving close to 15 as highlighted by you above.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 13th September 2010 at 13:51.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
StarrySky: Will you be elaborating a bit on the performance? May-be, in gear accelerations - I can wait until the run-in is completed. At what RPM does the Turbo kick in?
I guess the turbo kicks in at around 2K rpm. It's quite difficult to pinpoint exactly when, because the power delivery is very smooth and you don't get any "kick" out if it. There is no surge at 2K rpm, nothing comes "on". My BIL who has driven the Swift diesel extensively remarked that he couldn't really figure out when the turbo kicks in. Personally, I have felt that things start moving at around 1.8K rpm.

I don't usually rev beyond 2.5K rpm, so I guess I haven't made the best use of the turbo so far

In 4th and 5th, the car pulls cleanly from 1K rpm. So in city, you can avoid that gear change if you wish. But then, there is a price to pay - progress is _slow_ till around 1.5-1.6K rpm after which things are better. I have felt that at city speeds, it is best to keep it in the 1.7-1.8K rpm range (in 4th gear that would be around 40-50kmph). That is the sweet spot, which helps you run around without a gear change and still gives sufficient performance to close the gaps fast.

I haven't timed the in-gear accelerations, just taking it easy until I get to atleast 1500km (it's now at 1450).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
I have purchased smartwax from petes for detailing my punto. It works like a miracle on tar debris and the painted parts shines like any thing. I am curious about diesel wash as i think it can affect the paint job.
Thanks! I have heard of service stations using diesel to remove those stains. Not sure if it's because they know it won't affect the paint job or simply because it may be cheaper?

Latest Mileage Update
Total Distance: 527.3km
Fuel taken in: 40.17 litres (a bit more than the auto cut-off, because the fuel pump assistant tried to put in more before I could stop him)

FE (Tankful-Tankful): 13.12 km/l
FE (as per MID): 13.3 km/l

Usage pattern: Around 180km (35%) on the highway, rest in-city - typically on short trips (less than 10km).
Avg Speed (as per MID): 25 km/h
Old 15th September 2010, 13:53   #75
BHPian

Park sensor

How much did you pay for the park sensor. Is that OE from Fiat ? From where did u purchase that ?

Most Viewed