Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 14:40   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Starry Sky; just a small query; After that many kilometers do you feel that the engine is better than at the time of delivery, in terms of performance and turbo push
I have done 3k kms now with my 90 HP. Only difference i could feel is reduced engine noice. I am anticipating some more changes in terms of pickup as i drive the car more.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

I've crossed 2900km now and I've booked my car for the first service on Saturday. I don't think I'm going to do ask for an oil change. I also don't have any major niggles to report as of now. What else should be kept in mind before giving the car for the service and while taking delivery after service?
Old 19th October 2010, 18:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

You should ask for an oil change.

It is highly recommended, and really worth the money. Get all the tiny fillings washed out and refill.

Rest, its your call.
Old 25th October 2010, 09:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

First service done!

On Saturday, I gave my car for the first free service at Hyson Motors, Thrissur.

Service Experience:
1. I had booked for the service at 8:30am and I reached the service station on time. I was told where to park the car and I was given a slip with the car's registration number and a token number. I assumed that someone would come to me and waited for 10-15 minutes. Then I found out that I had to produce the slip at the reception and then the SA would be assigned. The SA who was assigned to my car (I had made a booking) was on leave (elections), and so a new SA was assigned in a couple of minutes. The SA explained to me what would be done during the service and took down a list of my complaints - I had mentioned that the boot lid and right front door were a little hard to close. Then I asked for oil change. The SA advised me that it is not required as per Fiat's recommedations. When I insisted he told me that even if I change oil now, I will have to change it again at 15K service and that it would cost around Rs.3000 for the oil change. I said it's fine with me. I asked him if I would be allowed near the service bay, but he said that would not be possible. He promised to deliver the car by 4:30pm

2. Anyway, since I had nothing else to do, I hung around in the customer lounge. I saw one of the service personnel taking the car out (probably for a test drive). He returned within 5mins. The service bay where my car was taken to was visible from the customer lounge, so I could see them lifting the car up, inspecting the underbody, checking lights, wipers, doors and changing engine oil.

3. Then I remembered two more things which I wanted to be checked. The overhead panel near the left rear door and the left rear door pad appeared to be a bit loose (not loose enough to rattle). I informed the SA about them. Since the car was in the service bay, I pointed out the problem areas on a Linea that was parked outside, but I used to right hand side for my 'demonstration'.

4. I went home for lunch and was back by 2:30pm. By 3:30pm, the SA informed me that the car would be ready in a few minutes. And it was, by 3:45pm. I checked the car and found that the last two issues that I had pointed out were not fixed. Since I had used the right hand side of the Linea to 'demonstrate' the issue, the SA had only checked the right side on my car. Anyway, confusion cleared, he took the car back in and got both issues fixed in a couple of minutes.

5. The car was neat and clean, inside and outside. All the small tar particles that were sticking on the car were removed. I was very happy to see that!

6. The total bill came to Rs.2698.

7. They charged me for 4L oil and used up nearly 3.7L (as per the SA). When I asked for the oil can with the rest of the oil, he checked with the service personnel and replied that it was thrown away. I was not happy with that, but probably I should've asked him before the oil change. That was the only glitch in an otherwise nice experience. All in all, happy with the service, problem solving and punctuality.

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03194_1024.jpg

Best Mileage achieved so far

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03191_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03190_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03192_1024.jpg

Mileage achieved today morning for my trip from Thrissur to Cochin. Early morning, low traffic and I was lucky with all the traffic lights - didn't have to wait anywhere. 50% ACC at 24 degrees. It had gone up even further to 24.3, but I couldn't click a picture then.
Old 25th October 2010, 09:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

All in all good stuff, eh?

Hopefully the mill has gotten smoother!

Just a random thought, your Punto does come with the update clutch slave cylinder design, right?
Old 25th October 2010, 16:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
All in all good stuff, eh?

Hopefully the mill has gotten smoother!

Just a random thought, your Punto does come with the update clutch slave cylinder design, right?
I feel that the engine has become quieter.

I am not sure about the clutch slave cylinder, is there any way I can check it? It has been a known issue for long, and my car is pretty new, so I hope the problem is fixed in my car.

On a lighter note, I was feeling quite happy with myself that I've become a 'sedate' driver in the last 2 weeks or so. Then I took a 20km ride with my brother in his Linea and he redefined 'sedate' for me! No wonder he regularly clocks 20+ kmpl on his trips to office and back (~35km round trip).
Old 25th October 2010, 16:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

Didnt know Fiat's needed synthetic oils by default. And they should having one of those bulk containers and hence I doubt about the throwing away the can part.

Great mileage. Is the run-in-period over? Or is it the same as for the normal Punto's?
Old 25th October 2010, 20:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

Exactly.

They have big Selenia drums which contain the oil.
I remembered this while driving today!

You were ripped. Report this to Fiat and get the SA's posterior polished.
Old 25th October 2010, 21:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Great mileage. Is the run-in-period over? Or is it the same as for the normal Punto's?
I can't find anything specific about VGT Punto in the manual. Anyway, I'll take it easy for a few hundred km more.

Quote:
Didnt know Fiat's needed synthetic oils by default. And they should having one of those bulk containers and hence I doubt about the throwing away the can part.
Quote:
Exactly.

They have big Selenia drums which contain the oil.
I remembered this while driving today!

You were ripped. Report this to Fiat and get the SA's posterior polished.
As I mentioned in my update, I was watching them change oil, so I'm certain that they used a 4L can. They poured some oil, checked the level, then I guess they did a start-stop of the engine, checked oil again and poured some more from the can. Only part I'm not sure of is what they did with whatever quantity of oil remaining.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

They bring the oil from the tanks in an empty can. Did they break seals in front of you? If they did not, then I really doubt it was a sealed can.

I absolutely understand it won't make a difference of more than a hundred bucks or so, but it just feels bad to see dishonesty at play everywhere all the time.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:15   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They bring the oil from the tanks in an empty can. Did they break seals in front of you? If they did not, then I really doubt it was a sealed can.

I absolutely understand it won't make a difference of more than a hundred bucks or so, but it just feels bad to see dishonesty at play everywhere all the time.
From where I was standing, it's difficult to say if they broke the seal. But the can looked new, with the product stickers intact and it didn't look dirty. I got a call from the dealership today and I was informed that I'll be getting a call from Fiat in the next couple of days. I'll surely take it up during the call.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Today, we went on a short trip to Cherai beach.

Road conditions:
The route we took was through Vypin. The city roads were bad enough, but that was nothing compared to the XL-sized craters that we encountered from High Court Jn till we turned on to Vypin-Pallippuram Road (about 6km). From there on, the road was nice with hardly any potholes. But, it's a 2-lane road and it was quite busy, so progress was slow. I could rarely get into 5th gear. Once we reached Cherai, some part of the road to the beach was also quite bad.

While returning, we didn't take the Cherai beach road, but we travelled along the beach for a few km and took the Pallathukulangara (I hope I remember it right) beach road. The road is quite nice and the scenery is nice too. Got stuck in traffic in the city during the return journey (it was rush hour), and the return journey took almost 2hrs (for about 35km!!).

Punto was subjected to some 'off-roading' conditions and came out relatively unscathed, although I did scrape the engine guard once or twice. Overall FE for the trip was 13.2kmpl (from MID).
Attached Thumbnails
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03455_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03457_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03458_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03460_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03462_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03435_1024.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2010, 23:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They poured some oil, checked the level, then I guess they did a start-stop of the engine, checked oil again and poured some more from the can.
Is this the right thing to do?
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:31   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to the manual: "After adding or changing the oil, let the engine turn over for a few seconds and wait a few minutes after turning it off before you check the level".
Old 4th November 2010, 10:45   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't agree with this practice. The best time to check the oil level is when the engine is cold. That's exactly when all of it will be in the oil tank. Once you start the engine, the oil will spread across the engine + turbo charger and thus, the dipstick can give an inaccurate reading.

Most Viewed