Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 11:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes I am hoping some bhpian from Delhi/NCR with a baleno experience can spot this thread and come and do the honours. The car definitely doesnt rev till 6500 rpm. Though 2500-3000 is achieved. The engine sounds normal and seems to run fine but I dont know why I feel it is not adequate. My local mechanic says its fine and yet...
Old 6th December 2010, 17:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Yes I am hoping some bhpian from Delhi/NCR with a baleno experience can spot this thread and come and do the honours. The car definitely doesnt rev till 6500 rpm. Though 2500-3000 is achieved. The engine sounds normal and seems to run fine but I dont know why I feel it is not adequate. My local mechanic says its fine and yet...
There is something wrong then for sure. Sorry to say this, but take the car to Maruti Authorized service center asap. No way engine cant cross 3K rpm. For any engine, even for diesels, 3K is achievable. Dont want for anybody then if its not crossing 3000 rpm. Your car needs attention.

I hope this is not true, but TbHP mod Samurai had some Camshaft Position Sensor malfunction which led to an engine overhaul. I tried to search for the thread but could not succeed. In that case also the car refused to cross 2500 rpm iirc. I am not trying to scare you, but just informing you to have a look at that thread.

IMHO, take your car to MASS ASAP.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Roger, will do that tomorrow and atleast get it checked. Any way I can check it at idle revving. If that is the problem then the engine should not rev up to more than 3K at idle too or is it so that it will rev at idle but not under driving conditions?
Old 6th December 2010, 20:15   #19
BHPian

Hey wanderer

I have 2000 baleno (The one from the time when there were no variants..)
He has run 138000 by now.. and running perfectly fine.. apart from some imminent niggles and noise from the rear right side from the suspension setup which needs to be rectified with the age
The baleno for sure revvs past 3000..
3500 is the rpm i shift when i am in sport mode
5500 is the rpm i shift when i am in Show-off mode.
and even i have taken him till 6000

There's for sure some problem in your ride!!
Do get it chekd and update about it
Old 6th December 2010, 21:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Tonight about 20 minutes back I took my ride out for a rev check. At idle it revs till about 5500 rpm with a solid note. On an open stretch I pulled it upto 4500 rpm in 2nd gear. It took the car about 150 mts to reach that mark before I upshifted to 3rd and the rpm fell back to about 2500 rpm.
@Don you normally shift at 3500 rpm in all gears? Which part of the town are you from? Do you ever cross New Rajinder Nagar/ Shankar Road?
Old 6th December 2010, 22:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vikram!

Baleno does 100kph in 2nd gear which is around 6500rpm.
3000RPM is a cakewalk for this engine.
If its cutting out at 3k rpm, try re-setting the ECU & do get it checked @ MASS.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Kp its not cutting out at 3000 but still it just doesnot feel right at times when accelerating. It surely didnot go to 6500 rpm. Will get it checked at Mass. What should I tell the guys there to check and what should I keep an eye on?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 6th December 2010 at 22:24.
Old 6th December 2010, 23:18   #23
BHPian

Sounds like a clogged intake or exhaust to me. Get the air filter thorroughly cleaned out and/or changed. Baleno's are rev-monkeys. Nothing serious far as I can tell don't worry. But get it checked and thoroughly serviced.
Old 6th December 2010, 23:18   #24
BHPian

I am on the east side.
Ever if you come this side ..do buzz me!! it will be pleasure helping you out!

I think what goswami has said ..is sumthing right..
What do you mean by dropping to 2500 If it starts on that level on the 3rd gear then its kinda normal!

Do check out how much it takes in the third gear or it doesnt go past 3000 in third?
Old 6th December 2010, 23:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
Sounds like a clogged intake or exhaust to me. Get the air filter thorroughly cleaned out and/or changed. Baleno's are rev-monkeys. Nothing serious far as I can tell don't worry. But get it checked and thoroughly serviced.
If it would have been choked exhausts then he would have been able to access the same rpm in all gears!

But here the case is a bit different .. i think its something related to what goswami said!
Old 7th December 2010, 14:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

I read the samurai's thread. No that is not the issue at all.
@Don yes it starts on 3rd gear at those levels. Maybe its nothing and I am just being paranoid but after reading everywhere how rev happy Balenos are well mine doesnt seem to share the same joy, it seems.
If you see my first post as well, while comparing my Marina Dicor to Baleno I found Marina to be more rev happy and accelerated much quicker. Hence the doubt. Yes I think a clogged air filter or maybe injector cleaning might help. Will take it to MASS as soon as I can find some time.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

re: Suzuki Baleno it is! EDIT : Now beyond 163,000 km!

Last night took her out again for a spin on a long empty stretch of a road. She accelerated good but after a lag of a few moments. The car went upto 130 kmph and the rpm to around 5500 rpm. I think I need to get the airfilter cleaned and plus do some more runs of such kind. I think the engine has got used to being run around 2000 rpm all this while and hence hesitates to go beyond unless goaded really hard.
Still not finding time to go to the MASS as yet.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Update is that nothing wrong was found on the car except that it was not used to revving, lol. Its going perfectly fine now. However, there is one issue with the remote locking setup. When you start and drive off it auto locks the doors after a few seconds but when you switch off the ign it doesnot auto unlock. Can it be rectified provided it is a malfunction? The system is the MGA Nippon which came with the car itself.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I just spotted this thread.

Quote:
Update is that nothing wrong was found on the car except that it was not used to revving, lol.
Glad to know that there is nothing wrong with the engine. and yes, 90% of the drivers out there don't rev beyond 5k.

Well, that also may be the reason why you felt Marina better on power. The torque pull, the reason why turbo diesels are so popular. but wanderernomad, IMO, there is nothing that can match the pleasure derived from revving a mill like baleno's all the way up to her revv limiter (6.3k?). Priceless!

Quote:
However, there is one issue with the remote locking setup. When you start and drive off it auto locks the doors after a few seconds but when you switch off the ign it doesnot auto unlock. Can it be rectified provided it is a malfunction? The system is the MGA Nippon which came with the car itself.
I believe this can be programmed within the central locking mechanism. If I remember it right, some one in the forum had programmed his car to do the exact same thing to avoid unlocking while switching off at signals.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
When you start and drive off it auto locks the doors after a few seconds but when you switch off the ign it doesnot auto unlock. Can it be rectified provided it is a malfunction? The system is the MGA Nippon which came with the car itself.
It is the standard behavior of the MGA Nippon system. You can set when the system should lock and unlock the doors by using a combination of the switch on the dashboard and turn on/switch off procedure of the car. This is detailed in the user manual provided by Nippon.

Most Viewed