Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on smoking the kolkata roads with a hot hatch!
Looking forward to more pics of the mean machine.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 Polo seems like a nice proposition. How is the power surge ? Linear or brutal kick in the pants ??

What's the ex-showroom price in Kolkata?

Enjoy the car !

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:12   #18
BHPian

Congratulations, sadnabrina!

I too have booked the 1.6 in June and have been eagerly waiting for an ownership report. Thanks for being the first to post.

Would it be possible to give a comparison with the Swift since that is the car you had before? The Swift as we all know is a peppy car. How does it feel to drive the Polo 1.6 in comparison?

FE is also important to know. 13.5 with mostly highway does seem a little on the low side but perhaps it may improve (?).
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Guyz, I think his Swift is having the old 1.3 engine and not the K series engine.
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

congratulations on being the proud owner of Polo 1.6 and the start of a new relationship.

let there be lots of loving and caring in the new relationship.

do keep updating this thread for others to learn new things about the Polo 1.6 and help them decide about the Hot Hatch!
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Guyz, I think his Swift is having the old 1.3 engine and not the K series engine.
It used to have old 1.3 engine but has been launched with 1.2 K series engine for some time.
BTW congrats on buying the hot hatch.
Do you feel the car is low and less airy compared to Swift? How is the head room with seat set to highest position?
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It used to have old 1.3 engine but has been launched with 1.2 K series engine for some time.
I think admicra knows that... he was mentioning that the starter of this thread used to have the 1.3 ltr Swift as opposed to the new one.

BTW many congrats on the purchase... drool maal and paisa wasool
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I think admicra knows that... he was mentioning that the starter of this thread used to have the 1.3 ltr Swift as opposed to the new one.

BTW many congrats on the purchase... drool maal and paisa wasool
Thanks aseem. I meant exactly that
The old esteem engine in the swift was known to have poor driveability but it was peppy when revved hard (am trying to recollect, driven one quite a while back)....
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:04   #24
BHPian

hey..The car looks fabulous buddy!
congratulations on being the first 1.6 on the forum.
Do keep updating your thread
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

up
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks aseem. I meant exactly that
Sorry I missed word 'his' :(. Thanks Aseem for pointing.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Only thing one aspired in the Polo was a bigger engine and thats it! Congrats mate. this certainly makes polo an ideal Rocket hatch in the segment.

Nice reviews. Wis you miles of happiness.

Take care and drive safe.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

1. What's the Ex-Showroom Price?
2. On-Road price in Cal?
3. What variant is your car?
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1. What's the Ex-Showroom Price?
2. On-Road price in Cal?
3. What variant is your car?
3. It is a Highline. Guess 1.6 comes only in the top variant.

OK..shall we go for a TD today?
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:16   #29
BHPian

Congrats

Hey Congratulations, sadnabrina, awesom man, 1.6 would be super, it's the same as the Vento Petrol right ?

Post some more pics and it is the first 1.6 on T-BHP so post lots of pics and do let us know any difference from 1.2 and any upgrades planned, ICE maybe?
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:22   #30
BHPian

@aditya166; admicra; Chennai-indian; rrahul_2778, kailashnj; CrAzY dRiVeR; Klever; luky_13; etc etc etc
Thank you!

There are so many questions in this thread now, it seems I need to hire someone to TD the car and provide responses.
Anyway let me try to do my level best (please forgive the haphazard order of response)

1) The Polo 1.6 is available in only one trim – Highline. Features are exactly the same as the Polo 1.2 highline.

2) The OTR Kolkata is Rs 6.96 without any discounts.

3) I have not got interiors captured on my camera yet, however would suggest you to go and see any Polo in flesh at the dealership for interiors or check the VW India website, they have an eBrochure with interior pictures. There is no change in the interior from 1.2 H/L.

4) No “running in” instructions in the user manual. The dealer says no need. The manufacturing techniques have improved over the years

5) The engine block has “Made in ZA” engraved. So this is the South African 1.6!

6) The MFD FE I mentioned is with AC 100% of the times.

7) Both the Keys are foldable with remote.

8) The remote centre key for the hatch opens the hatch lock for you. Keep it pressed for a few seconds and the boot will pop, but you would still need to pull the logo to pull the hatch up.

9) 1st service is due in 15000 KM or 12 months which ever is earlier. There is not free service.

10) The dealers charge you for fitting the accessories you buy from them.

11) The power delivery is linear but there is a slight surge beyond 2K rpm.

12) On the starting grid (our daily traffic signals) I think a i10 1.2 would be faster off the block and may remain there for the first 1 to 2 seconds but will soon become a speck in your rear view within the next 5 / 6 seconds. I am restricting myself from doing any such mischief at the moment. Let me get accustomed to the car first.

13) The stock head lights are not the brightest around, but does their duty well.

14) My Swift was the old 1.3 and a comparison is below.

15) No 1.6 TD car available at the Kolkata dealership yet.

Swift G13BB (1.3) versus Polo 1.6 H/L

What I like in Polo –
1) Solid interiors.

2) Very comfortable seats both at front and rear. The rear seats have a subtle backward tilt which pulls you in. My wife used to complaint when she sat in the swift rear seat for long journeys. Yesterday in the Polo, she was there for 2 hours without complaining once, rather she was praising it.

3) Have been driving with the AC on throughout. No dearth of power at any speed, City or Highway.

4) The instant FE meter is a useful tool to keep the pocket conscious happy. It gives out instant mileage figures and I have seen it going down to 3 km/l when accelerating hard in lower gears and go up to 20 km/l when cruising at 80 km/h with your right foot barely touching the accelerator. Some might complaint that it is erratic as it sometimes shows figures like 70 km/l while cruising at decent speeds and you lift your foot from the accelerator completely. But then this normal as it must be calculating the FE based on the amount of fuel being pumped versus the current speed and acceleration and maybe the weight of the vehicle. Always try to keep this figure on the higher side and you are sure to get good FE.

5) The controls, switches are marvellous

6) The driving position and the reach (reaching the volume control knob or the ac) is spot on. Being 5’ 7” I needed the seats to be raised just a little bit and was able to reach the most comfortable setting in one go.

7) Ample space up front. The Swift front seat back was wide compared to the Polo, possibly due to the side bolstering. But the Polo seat back is equally bolstered without the size. Pulling the seat belt from between the seat back and the B pillar is ever so easy in the Polo because of the extra space between the seat back and the B pillar.

8) Lots of storage space in the front with 2 1.5 L bottle holders in the door pockets. Even the back seat doors have pockets.

9) The swift had a peppy engine which performed well at higher rpms. The Polo engine shows its power early on and you don’t need to stand up on the accelerator to overtake the irritating ANHC (nothing personal here please) or the Innova. Just the right gears and you are beyond reach. It so happened during my last evenings highway drive, there was an Innova in front trying his level best not to let me go (though both were under 120 kph). At the slightest gap, I squeezed the accelerator just the right amount to get past it and maintained 135 for the next 3 / 4 minutes. The Innova was history after that. Similar happened on may way back with an ANHC.

10) With the driver’s seat at the highest position at my 5’7” the roof seems low, but once the seat is adjusted to my correct height, there is not such feeling. The rear roof height also though initially seems low, is adequate for the average Indian at 5’9”.

What I disliked in Polo –

1) The steering is too soft, but it is not like the Vista. It gives you a very good idea about where your tyres are going. Only thing is it needs very little force to move.

2) Noticed slight delay in the throttle response at one instance. Not sure why. Let me try to explain a bit more here. Seeing a red light I slowed down and was rolling at around 5 km/h when the signal went green. I engaged the second gear and released the clutch, the car went on rolling. Then when I pressed the accelerator, it took a bit to respond and jump. Not sure if this is a problem. Seems like the little CPU inside the ECU is doing too many things and is slow in responding. But that is not the case in any other gear and in other situation. At the end of every smooth gearshift I can feel the power surge immediately.

3) While trying to accelerate fast with the AC on, there is an interesting noise (similar to a diesel engine) coming inside the cabin. It goes away at higher speeds. Need to ask the dealer about it.

4) The driver’s seat has a rocking movement. I have seen others (poloman, chetan etc) complain about this in other threads. This is happening even at the lowest setting of the seat. Some problem with the height adjust mechanism, I believe.

5) The stereo is not the best. My Swift had a Kenwood with 4 speakers and a little Kenwood dual cone passive radiator sub. The overall sound quality in the Swift was much better. However the Polo is a factory fitted one and possibly needs a pair of tweeter and a sub. But then the dealer said that the warranty on the electrical components will void if I fit a Sub. Can someone check this out please?

6) Reaching the toll collectors window is a bit difficult both you and the collector needs to stretch. I think that is same with the Fords and Honda City’s as well. Now this is not a tall boy we are discussing.

7) For the Marlboro lovers - No Cig lighter or ashtray even in the HL. The 12 v Accessory Socket is there in the centre console.

8) No cup holder for the rear seat passengers.

One more image of the head light below.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-polo-005.jpg  

sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks