Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:02   #61
BHPian

Drove the car in city for some time today. The way it insulates you from the external world, you end up having a relaxed and smooth drive. The light steering means your arms are not stressed at all. Somehow am not trying to drive it as a hot hatch, rather like a matured large sedan capable of overtaking the rash call center cabs but taking it easy and letting it go. The understated looks possibly carries itself into the drive as well. Gives you the feeling of "I can do it, but why bother". Also the instant FE meter deters you from extracting the full potential of the 104 horses, or may be because of it being too new to be exploited. But definitely there is a prominent difference wih the Swift. Swift used to urge me to drive fast, whereas Polo 1.6 is urging me to take it easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Got an on-road price of 7,44,562 from VW Downtown this morning. 10K corporate discount in addition.

Karnataka takes the cake when it comes to road-tax. Thats one of the reasons why I stopped looking at 10L+ cars.

I should be getting my 1.6 over the weekend.
All the best. Enjoy your drive.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th August 2010 at 08:48. Reason: Merging posts
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
The way it insulates you from the external world, .
I really like that, because i am on lookout for a car that can give me this.
However i am determined not to take the plunge before a comprehensive TD.

Infact Jazz impresses me, but i am not the one to be living with those OEM stereos for long and one look at the Jazz stereo suggest me i am going to have a tough time to remove it / procure a dash kit !!
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:20   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Infact Jazz impresses me, but i am not the one to be living with those OEM stereos for long and one look at the Jazz stereo suggest me i am going to have a tough time to remove it / procure a dash kit !!
The VW dealer told me that the warranty on electricals would be void if you fit any electronic equipment which is not certified by VW and not installed by an authorised VW workshop. Not sure how true this is.
The OEM ICE in the Polo is also not the best in its class and might cause similar trouble if you want to fit in a 3rd party system. The Trend/Comfortline comes without the ICE and a Kenwood 2 DIN system is available with the dealers which is certified by VW and can be installed in Polo.
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

Sadnabrina, First of all hearty congratulations on your new acquisition. You've got a hot hatch for sure

Do keep us updated. Happy and safe motoring btw.

Have Fun!

Amith
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
The VW dealer told me that the warranty on electricals would be void if you fit any electronic equipment which is not certified by VW and not installed by an authorised VW workshop. Not sure how true this is.
The OEM ICE in the Polo is also not the best in its class and might cause similar trouble if you want to fit in a 3rd party system. The Trend/Comfortline comes without the ICE and a Kenwood 2 DIN system is available with the dealers which is certified by VW and can be installed in Polo.
Congratulations sadnabrina on being one of the first few owner of 1.6 Polo and wish you many many happy miles!

The warranty part is true but I was told a slightly different version - that if no wiring is cut then warranty remains intact.

Now the interesting part is the VW certified thing - in Kolkata and in Pune VW dealers are selling Kenwood music systems, but the below link shows another member bought Polo and the VW dealer gave accessories that includes a JVC music system.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-no-hole.html

Is JVC is also certified by VW, I am told only kenwood by dealer here in Pune.
So, I think without disturbing existing wirings warranty can be kept intact and VW call centre when asked for clarification directs to the Dealer.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:25   #66
BHPian

This is something I noticed today. The parking light - one side parking light switched on by the indicator stalk - is not working in my car. Instead, when I place the indicator in left or right turn position and pull out the keys, the car beeps indicating I have done something wrong. VW must have changed it as people were complaining.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
What I disliked in Polo –

1) The steering is too soft, but it is not like the Vista. It gives you a very good idea about where your tyres are going. Only thing is it needs very little force to move.
Does that mean that there is no/very less steering feedback?
Is it confidence inspiring at corners and high speed highway runs ?

Any comparo with swift in this regard.

Sorry for so many questions. But just cannot wait Good steering is really important when there is so much power to play around.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is something I noticed today. The parking light - one side parking light switched on by the indicator stalk - is not working in my car. Instead, when I place the indicator in left or right turn position and pull out the keys, the car beeps indicating I have done something wrong. VW must have changed it as people were complaining.
I could not understand a thing. Can you explain a bit more?
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:40   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Does that mean that there is no/very less steering feedback?
Is it confidence inspiring at corners and high speed highway runs ?

Any comparo with swift in this regard.

Sorry for so many questions. But just cannot wait Good steering is really important when there is so much power to play around.
The feedback is definitely attunated, but it is not absent. I didn't have any problems in swutching from swift to polo. Better get yourself a TD to get an idea.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:48   #70
BHPian

Body side moulding

Forgot to mention - got black body side moulding fitted on to the Polo. These are black fibre ones, size being same as the swift. Will post better images tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-image105.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 23:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thanks for the break up. But i guess you mis typed there. 16.16

So i guess OTR prices for Ahmedabad will be almost similar. Awaiting more interior pics.
Oops please read 6.16. Too much typing on a cellphone takes its toll.
Old 24th August 2010, 00:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Now, a hypothetical question to you! If Maruti brings SWIFT Sport 1.6 to India, how would you compare it with the Polo 1.6?
Mods please don't delete this, I don't think there can be a better answer to this question -
It's like you left your wife of 10 years for mallika and the next day she comes back reshaped like mallika. What would you do?

I have driven the swift for 71500 kms. I know it's every move and mood, while I am just 3 days and 400 kms on the Polo and still don't know even 25% of its character.
Old 24th August 2010, 00:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I could not understand a thing. Can you explain a bit more?
Hi adimicra,
There was a concept of lighting the parking light on one side only. You could have lit the right or the left parking light by placing the indicator stalk in left or right turn position and taking the keys out. This was to facilitate visibility of your car while parked in a dark twisty roadside. It seems VW India has quietly removed that feature.
Old 24th August 2010, 00:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods please don't delete this, I don't think there can be a better answer to this question -
It's like you left your wife of 10 years for mallika and the next day she comes back reshaped like mallika. What would you do?

I have driven the swift for 71500 kms. I know it's every move and mood, while I am just 3 days and 400 kms on the Polo and still don't know even 25% of its character.
Well said!
But please try using multiquote - sooner or later the mods are going to catch up!
Old 24th August 2010, 01:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

@sadnabrina Never really heard of that feature in cars,thanks for bringing it to notice.I guess thats what skoda and others call "follow me home" lights?

Most Viewed