Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 17:53   #136
Senior - BHPian

Experience after the Bush Change

Hey guys
The Toyota Landcruiser (TLC) has covered 4000 Kms since the suspension bushes were changed in February '12 at 1322xx Kms. The ODO now reads 1361xx Kms.

Now having driven the TLC for approx 4K kms, I'd say that I'm really happy with the way the ride quality of the vehicle has improved. Infact (strictly not a wise comparing though) I think the ride quality is even better than my 2 year old i10 that's done 32K kms (all city driving). During this 4K kms the TLC did marshal duty for 3300 Kms in Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm storm which included driving 25%, off-road and very very bad roads, especially my drive from Delhi to Sardarsher.
Here is the update that I shared on a social network for the Delhi to Sardarsher route
Quote:
Drove from Delhi to Sardarshahar took the following route
Delhi- Rohtak- Jhajjar- CharkhiDadri- Loharu- Pilani- RajGarh- TaraNagar- Sardarshahar

The road was bad from Loharu and we thought that after Pilani they might get a little better. But were wrong. If they were bad earlier they were very very and agaijn very pathetic after Pilani all the way upto Rajghar. It seems that only BITS, Pilani is good about this place. The only consolation was that there was little to no traffic. Just paid a bomb to get all the suspension bushes changed on my Landcruiser :( Worried whether it would hold.
After Rajghar the roads were a little better.
Would not advise anyone to travel on this route and I wouldn't even if anyone paid me to do it.
Total distance from delhi apporox 370 Kms.
So all in all I'd say it was money well spent.

Other work that was done on the TLC at that time is as follows
  • The rear tyres were turned inside out and at the same time got the balancing /alignment done.
  • Topped up the GearBox oil
  • Changed the Rear Diff Oil
  • Normal Servicing (Oil /Oil Filter)
    • Normally I get the normal servicing done every 5K Kms but this time it was done in 4300 Kms as I was departing for a long 3.5K Kms trip. Hense I decided to do it beforehand.
During my drive though Gujrat and Rajasthan I faced the following issues with the vehicle
  • Head Lights
    • They used to switch on on their own, even when the switch was in OFF position
  • RPM Needle
    • The RPM needle started dancing , literally. Yes it started dancing to the beats of the stereo. Well not only the stereo but even when the headlamps were switched on the RPM needle used to come to zero on high beam and even on low beam, they used to drop significantly. :(
Solutions to the above 2 issues
  • A faulty relay was the culprit in the FUSE BOX. This was the Toyota OEM Relay and not the after market ones that I'd put. This was promptly changed.
  • An earth grounding wire was the culprit in this case. This was the main cable that runs from the -ve terminal of the battery to the body panel. This too was promptly replaced.
At the same time the power window motor for the Rear Left door was replaced. The Rear Right power window along with the central locking motors (guns as the mechanic was referring it), key type,for all the doors will be attended too this weekend. And during the next week I am getting it serviced again as I am off to Mumbai and Goa (Annual vacation time ) in this month. Just finalised my Goa bookings. So the vehicle and its owner is ready for another trip of 4000-4500 Kms.

Will keep the thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Harjeev, went through all the details that you have documented in this thread. Very detailed report indeed. Felt one thing missing that is the pictures of the interiors.
the VTEC guy
Thanks buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Thanks for your kindness is all the generous praise, maybe I have too much "vela time" on my hands

Cheers
Ricky_63
Not at all buddy. I find your threads really helpful and have gained quite a bit of knowledge from them. Keep up the great work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Harjeev, Do not even consider selling the LC. Its a keeper and in excellent condition. You got a million miles to go. Let's do a trip together soon. All the best.
zipperone
Thanks a ton bro. I would definitely keep it for a long time to come. Surely lets do a trip soon. Looking forward for it.
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 19:11   #137
BHPian

re: Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting

Hi, this is a fascinating read. Went through all pages in one go and kudos to you for taking such care of TLC!

Most of us at least me do not have the patience or time or intent to plan such repairs and record all details. Very useful stuff.

I may have missed it but what was the initial cost of the vehicle that you paid?

Regards
Anand
adtalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 20:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtalwar View Post
Hi, this is a fascinating read. Went through all pages in one go and kudos to you for taking such care of TLC!

Most of us at least me do not have the patience or time or intent to plan such repairs and record all details. Very useful stuff.

I may have missed it but what was the initial cost of the vehicle that you paid?

Regards
Anand
Hi adtalwar (Anand)
Pardon my late reply to your post. I really appreciate you appreciating my efforts.
Buddy I've not shared the price I paid for the vehicle on public domain but I paid what I would have, had I gone for a decent mid sized sedan, However all in cash and no finance and since that time I've spent approx 2.41Lacs on the maintenance. Heres the link to the update http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2377037

This was back in June 2011 and since then I've done the Diesel Fuel pump recalibration and the suspension Jobs, so that's another 70-80 grands additional on the total amount. Overall I've driven the vehicle for 42000 Kms in 1 year and 7 months, since I bought it so would be doing a 42K Kms ownership update soon.
Cheers
Old 16th April 2012, 00:16   #139
Senior - BHPian

opps, the time moves so fast. I just felt like yesterday when you said about your TLC buy. It's already 1 year and 7 months.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 17:09   #140
BHPian

Thanks Harjeev.

There was a recent ad in the TOI for a set of UN vehicles in Delhi - one TLC and two Qualis all in the vicinity of 1.7 lakh kms. I was initially tempted to submit a quote but held off due to the extra baggage (Qualis). I do not have the time and not connected well enough to get further trades done if I land up with them.

The deadline has ended today and again looking the the pictures of your TLC, I feel I should have at least taken a look! Lets see what destiny has in store but thanks to you for reviving my interest in the big daddy.

Regards
Anand
Old 21st April 2012, 00:17   #141
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harjeev, saw this thread only today, didn't know you had bought an LC 80 well we have not met for over 2 years I guess, not seen you in the couple of OTRs either.

The Toyota Landcruiser 80 series with fixed front axles is the most capable off road vehicle ever built. So congratulations.

I must have driven at least two dozen LC 80 Landcruisers owned, or provided by Al Futtaim Motors - Toyota for our events. I have taken them everywhere. to the highest dunes, to Liwa and the Empty quarters desert stretch, to wadis in Oman, to Saudi Arabia in Kenya on extremely rutted and slushy off road tracks, Jungles of SOuth Africa and this vehicle never failed. My off road log book says that on 356 off road trips between 1994 and 1999 I have logged 104000 KM in an LC 80.

Later of course there was Prado LC 90 LWB and SWB, the LC 100 I drove to office and that too a good 220,000 KM in 4 years, then finally the new LC 200 a bit of the older Prado LC 70 or Landcruiser II, out support vehicle at the rallies the LC 70 truck.

My advice to you is to go for a one time investment of about Rs. 60,000 to 70,000 and put in a set of four alloy rims JJ7x16 and a set of new tyres and the rode wil be a float over the clouds.

The correct tyre size is 275/70/R16 and the best tyres for it are :

Michelin MTX for the best road ride. Ask any Arab he will swear by them.
The OEM Dunlop Grandtrek TG 28 ( well they were my sponsors as well )
Third best is
Bridestone Dueler MT 683

or if you can find the one I made for the Landcruiser
TOYO - Open Country Desert / Highway Duler OP/DH

Yokohama Geolanders AT/ S are not very good tyres. I have never had a good experience with them. In the middle east I had issues with them, and here in India I had them on my Bolero for last 40,000 KM, the sidewall cracked in one of them and the ride is not good.

The LC80 is a real tough vehicle off road. Do not be afraid to bring it to an OTR, there will be little damage. maximum the stablizer bar bush or one of the other bushes will get damaged. But of course driving carefully respecting the vehicle and terrain not wild off roading as some youngsters in our club do.

One of our NIOC members does bring his LC 80 to OTRs ( Siddarth Kasana ) pulled him out last time has no tow point on the front! God knows from where they buy second hand Landcruisers!

As a matter of fact now that you hav experience in where to get diesel engine parts and other LC 80 fitments right here in Dlehi I wouldn't mind investing some 9 to 10 Lakhs and buying an LC 80 myself.

Bring it over to have a look someday to Gurgaon.

Best wishes
Shahid
Old 1st July 2012, 00:11   #142

Harjeev bro, my cuz has been on a hunt for land cruiser 80 for a long time, could u please help me with a contact if you have any? Cheers
Old 27th July 2012, 09:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, I'm sorry, I was so bugged with work and some other things that I couldn't update this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
opps, the time moves so fast. I just felt like yesterday when you said about your TLC buy. It's already 1 year and 7 months.
trammway
Hey Bro, How can I forget the help and support that you and Santosh gave me when I was in Bangalore to buy this baby. I shall forever be indebted to both of you.
Cheers mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtalwar View Post
Thanks Harjeev.

There was a recent ad in the TOI for a set of UN vehicles in Delhi - one TLC and two Qualis all in the vicinity of 1.7 lakh kms. I was initially tempted to submit a quote but held off due to the extra baggage (Qualis). I do not have the time and not connected well enough to get further trades done if I land up with them.

The deadline has ended today and again looking the the pictures of your TLC, I feel I should have at least taken a look! Lets see what destiny has in store but thanks to you for reviving my interest in the big daddy.

Regards
Anand
adtalwar
I believe that its quite late in replying to this post now. Let us all know if you submitted the bid and/or you acquired that or any other TLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Hey Harjeev, saw this thread only today, didn't know you had bought an LC 80 well we have not met for over 2 years I guess, not seen you in the couple of OTRs either.

The Toyota Landcruiser 80 series with fixed front axles is the most capable off road vehicle ever built. So congratulations.
desertfox
Yes Sahid bhai, Have it (TLC) for almost 2 years now. Its a fantastic machine. Surely been a long time since we met. Regarding OTR's, well, I've been giving them a miss for quite sometime now. Been busy with some things and when I get the time I've started doing long distance journeys. I discovered that they satisfy the adventurer in me more than specific OTR does. Still I'd say if it wasn't for Off-Roading I would have never been acquainted with some of the wonderful friends I've made all over the country, so would never leave it. But still am not able to do it with the same enthusiasm that I used to do way back in 2009 & 2010.

Quote:
My advice to you is to go for a one time investment of about Rs. 60,000 to 70,000 and put in a set of four alloy rims JJ7x16 and a set of new tyres and the rode wil be a float over the clouds.

The correct tyre size is 275/70/R16 and the best tyres for it are :

Michelin MTX for the best road ride. Ask any Arab he will swear by them.
The OEM Dunlop Grandtrek TG 28 ( well they were my sponsors as well )
Third best is
Bridestone Dueler MT 683

or if you can find the one I made for the Landcruiser
TOYO - Open Country Desert / Highway Duler OP/DH

Yokohama Geolanders AT/ S are not very good tyres. I have never had a good experience with them. In the middle east I had issues with them, and here in India I had them on my Bolero for last 40,000 KM, the sidewall cracked in one of them and the ride is not good.
Thanks Shahid Bhai, I already changed tyres in Janruary 2011. Its available here and Here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2275969
Also I know that the Michellin LTX are very good tyres but the problem is that the only brand of tyres available in size 275/70/R16 is Yokohama Geolanders. Infact I bought my IInd set yesterday, Again Yokohama Geo AT-S. No other brand is available in this size. Either I have to go a bit undersize or over, which I am not very comfortable with as I am sucker for OEM parts and specifications.
MT's are available in similar sizes but as I don't do any serious off-roading with my vehicle, I believe that they would be a waste of cash.

Further me too used to believe that Yokohama are gonners and are the worst tyres available till I read about this German Guy Gunther Holtorf who's been on the road of and on for the past 23 years, covered 800,000 Kms and hold your breath,visited 186 countries and counting... And guess what he's riding on. YOKOHAMA GEOLANDERS AT-S. A single set last's him about 70-80K kms and if he can cover 800K Kms on those tyres I can surely travel across our country on Yoko's. . Hell we dont even have that many states or 800K Kms of roads in our country.
What's say Shahid bhai ;-)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...road-trip.html

Quote:
One of our NIOC members does bring his LC 80 to OTRs ( Siddarth Kasana ) pulled him out last time has no tow point on the front! God knows from where they buy second hand Landcruisers!

As a matter of fact now that you hav experience in where to get diesel engine parts and other LC 80 fitments right here in Dlehi I wouldn't mind investing some 9 to 10 Lakhs and buying an LC 80 myself.

Bring it over to have a look someday to Gurgaon.

Best wishes
Shahid
Yes I know Siddharth. Met him couple of times at OTR's and otherwise too.
I used to get the service done from a small garrage in Vasant Kunj earlier, but later, better sense prevailed and I started taking the vehicle to Lakozy Toyota in Okhla. I believe they are the best and experts on Toyota Imports. Yes they are obviously slightly expensive than small garages and road side mechanics, but I consider it wise to pay a small premium and buy peace of mind.
Like for example, many might call me a fool and say its unnecessary to get a 14 year old vehicle Comprehensively Insured. But I think that peace of mind is more important than anything else. Been paying 45,000 each years worth of Insurance Premium over the past 2 years and feel happy that my vehicle is insured for 12-13 Lacs. Many people just get the 3rd party insurance done and it done.

Cheers and hope to meet you soon. Are you coming for NIOC's next month's event?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarshi View Post
Harjeev bro, my cuz has been on a hunt for land cruiser 80 for a long time, could u please help me with a contact if you have any? Cheers
sarshi
Bro, send me a PM with what you are looking for. There is this immaculately maintained Petrol LC for sale, if you are interested.
Old 29th August 2012, 19:46   #144
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Land Cruiser- 10K Kms & Tyre Burst update :ODO now 145500 Kms

ODO Meter reading 145500
The last update of the vehicle was at 1361xx Kms in March 2012. Since then the vehicle’s been driven 9400 Kms in about 6 months time. Of this 9400 Kms majority of the drive was done on my Delhi – Goa – Delhi driving vacation. You can read about it here.
Goa Road Trip

The majority of the jobs done/ expenses incurred on the vehicle since then(Mar’12 136K Kms) have been as follows
  • May’12 - Full Comprehensive Insurance
  • Mar’12 – Bought a single tyres Prielli Scorpion in Baroda @ 140050 Kms (explained below)
  • Mar’12 & May’12 – 2 Normal Services @ 136535 Kms & 142442 Kms. The second service was slightly overdue as the vehicle was out of station at the time.
  • Jul’12 – Bought 4 new tyres Yokohama Geolanders AT-S @ 143090 Kms (explained below)
  • Aug’12 – Changed the Air Conditioner Blower 142223 Kms
  • Aug’12 – Replaced the Spider Kit for the Rear Shaft/ Differential 142223 Kms
  • Aug’12 – Changed the Studs & Nuts for the front right wheel (apparently it had been wrongly tightened which resulted in the grooves being worn out) 142223 Kms
I had an unfortunate incident of the rear two tyres bursting on my return trip from Goa in March’12. I have made some conclusions/ assumptions that why did this happen.
Tyre Burst incidents
Goa Road Trip- Drive from Mumbai to Udaipur
Goa Road Trip - Udaipur to Delhi
  • The tyres were bought by me in Janruary 2011 from a friend who was using them on his vehicle (not as heavy as the TLC). They were in a very good shape and had run for 6-10K Kms approx, not sure.
  • The ODO then (Jan’11) was 111000 Kms
  • The tyres had burst at 139600 Rear Right and at 140400 Kms Rear Left.
  • They had burst after running approx 29000 Kms My Use and 8-10K Kms my friends use. So total usage approx 38-40K Kms on the tyres
  • During the course of my usage of the said tyres, I had made a foolish habit of keeping the air pressure 28PSI against the company recommended 33-35 PSI. Why one may ask: The vehicle felt quite smooth and well planted on the road.
  • The rear tyres had started wearing out unevenly, due to the suspension bushes had lived their life. As a result the outer edge of the tyres (both the rear left & right) had worn out more than the inside edges. So what I did was, after I got the suspension overhauled was turn the tyres around, inside-out. This was done for both the rear tyres.
  • On my trip to Goa I wasn’t very particular on getting the air pressure checked at regular intervals. So I believe that sometime during the course of the drive the rear tyres might have developed a slow puncture and that combined fully loaded vehicle and with all the above factors let to the tyres bursting incidents.
I am still thanking my stars that this happened on the rear tyres. Had this happened on the front the vehicle would have been difficult to control

Lesson from this
  • Always keep the air pressure properly monitored and in check. I’ve now started keeping 33-35psi and get it checked regularly.
  • I’ve decided that I will change the tyres between 40-45 K kms, irrespective of the amount of thread that might be left on the tyres.
  • Always carry 2 spare tyres, especially on long cross country trips.
  • I bought 4 new tyres because I had 2 old Yokohama Geolanders (front 2 left), 1 brand new Prielli Scorpion AT, 1 brand New unsued Michellin LTX AT & 1 brand new unused Yokohama Geolanders. I wanted to keep the tread pattern same so decided that I should buy 4 new Yokohama Geolanders AT-S, Keep the old unused one as spare and retain the Michellin & Prielli as backup at home. Also I am in the process of locating another rim and then will be carrying 2 spare tyres on long trips.
That is it for now.
Cheers
Old 29th August 2012, 20:00   #145
Team-BHP Support

Harjeev, I have looked at your tire dilemma, and I suggest an alternative.
If you go for toyota fortuner rim, your Overall diameter will reduce by just 1.9%

Thats a very small change.

So you can have 17" rims, and commonly available tires.
Their section width is 265, which again is just 10mm less, which is negligible.

Only loss, you will have to spend money on 17 inch rims.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 21:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Harjeev, I have looked at your tire dilemma, and I suggest an alternative.
If you go for toyota fortuner rim, your Overall diameter will reduce by just 1.9%

Thats a very small change.

So you can have 17" rims, and commonly available tires.
Their section width is 265, which again is just 10mm less, which is negligible.

Only loss, you will have to spend money on 17 inch rims.
Yeah Tanveer, that is an option that I frankly didn't consider previously.
Buying rism isn't an issue as ek baar ka kharcha hai however the tyre will also be 1.7" shorter than the current specs. But as they say, beggars can't be choosers. Who knows, at the next tyre change I might not get the 275/70/R16 would would have to settle for something in the Fortuner's tyre range.
Thanks for sharing
Old 29th August 2012, 22:04   #147
Team-BHP Support

The diameter will be just 1.9% less. So there will not be any issues. I think its a very practical option.
Finding this tire in 16" costs you much more than regular tires. Moreover, with ISI mark, these tires will become rarer.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The diameter will be just 1.9% less. So there will not be any issues. I think its a very practical option.
Finding this tire in 16" costs you much more than regular tires. Moreover, with ISI mark, these tires will become rarer.
Agree totally. I would definitely consider this option when the time for the changing the current set of tyres comes. Maybe in the next 2 years considering that I'm driving about 22.5 K kms average per year.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:34   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Agree totally. I would definitely consider this option when the time for the changing the current set of tyres comes. Maybe in the next 2 years considering that I'm driving about 22.5 K kms average per year.
In two years you would have many options.
The Tata safari Storme may come with 17 inchers, even in the steel wheel variant.
Consider this. In the Safari homeland Punjab, every second person after buying a safari gets to jazzy aftermarket alloys.
This means stock rims go for "cheap". I personally saw one guy giving away his stock rims for 300 bucks a piece. I am kicking myself for not offering him 100 more, and getting one rim.

So you can get cheap 17" rims, and then all you need is a 17" tire. With the safari coming in 17 inchers, you can be assured of a lot of companies to make tires which would fit your requirement!

Currently, 17" is only XUV-500 and the Fortuner (mass market vehicles)
Old 1st September 2012, 12:23   #150
BHPian

Harjeev,i am facing the same problem with my cruiser as well,but i would be going in for a 15" rims but will be upsizing the tire,better cushion you see
renegade is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed