Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 15:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting

If it has an ISI mark on it then it must be all right. Does it have one ?
Old 19th November 2013, 16:53   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have a set of new Geo AT with ISI markings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
In this case Yokohama would have obtained the ISI mark recently. They are planning to enter India in a big way, planning to set up a manufacturing plant and they are looking for regional distributors now.
Quote:
As far as I am aware, Yokohama has started India Operations in full swing. Earth is being marketed heavily and its logical that they have started the AT production as well.

A screen shot of their web/home page - Yokohama India Pvt Ltd
Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-yoko-india.jpg

Theay are also OE Supplier for many Indian Manufacturers - see the list below - and hence must have got their ISI certification in place
Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-yoko-india-.jpg

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 19th November 2013 at 17:00.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 18:10   #183
BHPian

Quote:
No ISI mark and these are made in Japan.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:12   #184
Senior - BHPian

Not everything. A larger tyre size like a 265/70/R16 might be imported from Japan or their Thailand factory.

But a lot others, including saloon car tyres must be made in India.

I am not sure whether this ISI certification is mandatory for tyres imported into India as well.
Old 21st June 2015, 20:18   #185

I have been going through this thread now reading it again and again like a kid going through his favourite bed time storybook every night. What an amazing journey of TLC 80 Series. I am really enamoured by the sheer grit of Harjeev in his continous efforts to wonderfully maintain this awesome 4X4 WD. I know of a person who has recently picked up a running condition 101 TLC from the American Embassy for it to be salvaged as a scrap since it is a military version and is therefore prohibited from being sold in the open market. This person was ready to offer me the break down parts like tyres,windshield etc since I was planning to pickup another 2005 TLC from the US embassy around thexam time. It might be a good idea to look for any parts from this scrap dealer you might need for your wonder TLC. Cheers
Bhatman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 17:57   #186
Senior - BHPian

If it is rough taxing off road terrain, whether desert or rocks, mud anything. The vehicle I would trust the most and my vehicle of choice would be a Landcruiser 80 series. Nothing can beat it off road.

If one is available from some embassy I am myself interested in buying one. Has to be RHD.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:10   #187
Senior - BHPian

Been quite a while since I updated this thread. The ODO now reads 181xxx Kms which means that I've had it in my possession for 81xxx Kms.

Earlier during the year I was having thoughts of maybe selling this off and replacing it with either a 100 LC or a Toyota Fortuner. Didn't find a Fortuner at a decent price range and on asking around the maintenance costs of the 100 LC I decided to retain mine and drive it around for the next couple of years.

Sharing some pics of the LC captured in the last couple of years.

Picture Credit: Rajiv Kumar
Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-dsc_68291-rkb.jpg

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-rkb_4715-rkb.jpg

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-rkb_4985-rkb.jpg

The following set of pictures were captured during this years Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm where I was marshaling as a rally official.

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img_20150226_095829.jpg

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img_20150226_183927.jpg

Picture Credit: Amit Panwar
Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img20151122wa0039.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2015 at 19:49. Reason: T Fort > Fortuner. Please avoid using acronyms when referring to cars on the forum. Thanks!
harjeev is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:54   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

The following set of pictures were captured during this years Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm where I was marshaling as a rally official.

[/b]
Hi Harjeev,

It was a pleasure to watch the LC80 glide over the desert sands last Feb/March.

Though we met briefly at the last check point on the last day, come April 2016, hope to see more of you and the beast on the sands.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:21   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Earlier during the year I was having thoughts of maybe selling this off and replacing it with either a 100 LC or a Toyota Fortuner.
Now this is interesting. I understand the rationale behind salivating for another LC but why were you considering a Fortuner?
It would be nice to know your perspective.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2015 at 19:50. Reason: Quoted post edited.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 18:32   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Now this is interesting. I understand the rationale behind salivating for another LC but why were you considering a Fortuner?
It would be nice to know your perspective.
Hi devdath, Sorry for the late reply, was traveling so couldn't reply earlier.
The sole reason considering the Fortuner was and still is that buying and maintaining a vehicle which is 15+ years old is always a challenge in itself. From sourcing spares, to getting it checked periodically for even the small small things, to getting basics things like tyres, etc. One doesn't need to worry about the basics for vehicles which are being currently sold in the retail market. Though now, basically I've done quite a lot of work on the vehicle and have all intentions of keeping it and have shelved the idea of selling this.
On a side note on this thought, I really like the New Scorpio and whenever changing I might seriously consider buying that (Brand New) as well. But again, its just a thought. For atleast the near and mid future the LC will remain in the garage.
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 19:42   #191
BANNED

Quote:
The sole reason considering the Fortuner was and still is that buying and maintaining a vehicle which is 15+ years old is always a challenge in itself.
Yup, makes sense.
But why not consider the Pajero Sport as well?

Quote:
Though now, basically I've done quite a lot of work on the vehicle and have all intentions of keeping it and have shelved the idea of selling this.
That is a nice thing to do. Also, you could use it as a weekend vehicle if and when you get another everyday vehicle of your choice.

Quote:
On a side note on this thought, I really like the New Scorpio and whenever changing I might seriously consider buying that (Brand New) as well. But again, its just a thought. For atleast the near and mid future the LC will remain in the garage.
The new Scorpio is no doubt a good package but there are some glaring inconveniences and omissions in it in terms of usability and robustness.

Also, the fit & finish of the Scorpio is unlikely to impress you after you have lived with the LC.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 12:49   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yup, makes sense.
But why not consider the Pajero Sport as well?
Bhai, no offence to anyone, I've never been a a fan of the new Pajero, however the old one, I really loved.
Quote:
That is a nice thing to do. Also, you could use it as a weekend vehicle if and when you get another everyday vehicle of your choice.
That would be the game plan now. Trying to sell off the Gypsy which no one at home drives except myself and trading it for a good low mileage 2008 Grand Vitara (GV) 2 liter.
Quote:
The new Scorpio is no doubt a good package but there are some glaring inconveniences and omissions in it in terms of usability and robustness.

Also, the fit & finish of the Scorpio is unlikely to impress you after you have lived with the LC.
The last thing which you've mentioned is the biggest issue of all. Nothing seems to come close, but if and whenever I make a decision, some amount of trade-offs would have to be made in this respect.
harjeev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 14:51   #193
BHPian

Re: Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting

Hey Harjeev! Loved the thread to the bits. You do have a lot of patience to restore the vehicle the way you like it. Not many would go this far to do it.
How's your cruiser now? Do you still own it?
Old 30th September 2016, 10:52   #194
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Landcruiser - Been 6 years Now, Trade, Sell, Hold??? What To Do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Hey Harjeev! Loved the thread to the bits. You do have a lot of patience to restore the vehicle the way you like it. Not many would go this far to do it.
How's your cruiser now? Do you still own it?
Hi Deepak, Yup I very much still have the LC. Sharing below my view and debate that was going on my mind for a couple of months, now finally settled.

Hey Guys,
Its been 6 years since I bought the cruiser home.
Here's the complete story, filmi istyle on how this happened

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-counting.html

So naturally lots of thoughts were on my mind regarding the ownership of the vehicle and main question. Whether to change the vehicle or keep it for another 5-6 years. Was in two minds a couple of months back as now its almost 20 years old but the vehicle is simply WOW. Love driving it, maintaining it, still cruises on the highway at comfortable speeds and can do it all day long without breaking a sweat.
I was contemplating whether to trade this in lieu of a pre-owned Toyota Fortuner or a brand New Scorpio. Took test drives and though was more inclined towards the Fortuner (Yes, Toyota has converted me to a Toyota fan) but still felt more safer and at ease in the Cruiser. Additionally being a finance guy I did some maths that this vehicle will now sell for about 8-9 Lacs give or take a 50K. On the contrary a new Scorpio or pre owned Fortuner would cost at the least 14-15Lacs. So financing the difference will again involve paying an installment for the next 60 months of 12-14K per month, add to that the depreciation loss it doesn't really make sense to me.
Now if I keep it for the next 5-6 years I reckon that I'll be able to sell the LC then for, worst come to worst, 4-5L. But on the fortuner and scorpio I'll end up losing atleast 7-8 Lacs. Not only the loss is more (basically double) I personally didn't enjoy very much driving the latters compared to my LC, obviously, I know its not a fair comparison Additionally I'm really happy with the performance of the LC, no major expenses coming up and even if they did, I'm sure it would be much less compared to the additionally depreciation loss on the Fortuner and or Scorpio.
To cut a long story short, I'm keeping it, bone stock not plans for any upgrades or anything as I like to keep my daily drive vehicles stock baring small accessories like auxiliary lights, etc.
Finally, the most important point, I've developed a great degree of trust in the reliability of the vehicle, which no doubt will surely be there in other newer vehicles as well, but still the heart goes out to this beast.

Leaving you guys with a couple of pictures I clicked of the cruiser.

This was in 2012 during my Solo trip to Lahual Spiti Valley, I think, I was returning back to Kaza from Komic. In Sep'2012

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img_5798.jpg

North of Bhuj, Gujarat during my Marshaling Duty in Desert Storm Rally in Feb, 2011

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img_9193.jpg

The below two were again captured during marshaling work in Desert Storm Rally in Feb'11. Location South-West of Pokhran, Rajasthan

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img_93872.jpg

Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting-img_9380.jpg
harjeev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 15:16   #195
BHPian

Re: Toyota Landcruiser - Been 6 years Now, Trade, Sell, Hold??? What To Do!!!

Quote:
Hi Deepak, Yup I very much still have the LC. Sharing below my view and debate that was going on my mind for a couple of months, now finally settled.

Hey Guys,
Its been 6 years since I bought the cruiser home.
Here's the ...
Wow! Thats some love story right there!
Keeping the love for the LC aside, lemme tell you something.
The fortuner, in today's used market, will cost you approx 12-13lacs. You have to bargain hard, but it's really not that tough to get a very neat condition fortuner for that price.
Scorpio: Well, i respect the fact that people love this car. But i think that it wont give you the level of satisfaction that a Fortuner would give. Scorpio is way too cramped and crude.

Also, i added you up on FB! Please accept.
DeepakS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks