Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 23:50   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Landcruiser - 80 Series HDJ80 - Owned for 82,000 kms and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Parm,

Welcome to the club (of those longing for a LC 70).

Used LC70 SWBs are really non existent. But new ones are available (unfortunately out of my price ceiling). If you are interested I could point you in the right direction - both in Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks for the offer Nair, even i cannot afford a new one just for my offroading activities.

I know people who can get a brand new one for me, but im not looking for a new one.

I think i will stick to wrangler, i have few lined up to check over the weekend.

Coming back to the topic, i think the Series 80 would be the ideal choice for offroading anywhere, whether india or gcc.
Old 25th April 2013, 13:03   #167
Senior - BHPian

SWB 70 Series has a good power to weight ratio, BHP is reduced to 232 with the 4500 cc straight six engine, but it is an unstable vehicle.

The Big daddy of Gulf News Fun Drives, Janbaz Ali Khan rolled it on a mere 60 ft dune in Al Falah valley near Tawi Rashidia, a lot of Saudis during Falcon hunting have had serious accidents. In 1993 to 97 the Dubai electricity department used them to erect power pylons through the desert, there were over a dozen cases of these vehicles overturning.

A much better choice is a SWB Prado 90 Series or 120 Series either AT or MT.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 22:25   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
SWB 70 Series has a good power to weight ratio, BHP is reduced to 232 with the 4500 cc straight six engine, but it is an unstable vehicle.

The Big daddy of Gulf News Fun Drives, Janbaz Ali Khan rolled it on a mere 60 ft dune in Al Falah valley near Tawi Rashidia, a lot of Saudis during Falcon hunting have had serious accidents. In 1993 to 97 the Dubai electricity department used them to erect power pylons through the desert, there were over a dozen cases of these vehicles overturning.

A much better choice is a SWB Prado 90 Series or 120 Series either AT or MT.
So its wrangler that makes my choice. I will check if i can find SWB Prado as a second option to wrangler.
Old 26th April 2013, 14:02   #169
BHPian

Hi Harjeev! This is my first post on your Landcruiser thread. It has indeed been a lucky find and its very heartening to see you painstakingly bringing the vehicle upto its Original condition and keeping it in good running order too. This ride deserves no less.

Your comment that you were happy with all these issues cropping up so that you get a chance to fix it once in for all made very good sense and blew me away. Hats off to your dedication.

I beleive this vehicle makes great financial sense too (apart for the 8-10 kmpl mileage figure). But im sure the way it drives more than makes up for the average mileage it returns.

Please update the thread with some good interior pics too.

Incidentally i came across you Delhi to Goa Travelogue too in the thread and read through it in one go! What a wonderful trip it was barring the Tyre issues.

I recently bought Brand new Yokohama Geolanders too for my Fortuner and one blew up (left rear) within 2-3 weeks of use due to a sidewall cut on the highway very unexpectedly. There is some issue with the Yokohamas i feel. My stock Dunlops lasted almost 75000 kms.

Look forward to your next update or travelogue on this thread. Cheers!
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 17:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

There have been issues with Yokohama Geolanders recently. I had a set of them on my Bolero and two of them had the same problem last year, sidewalls bursting just on mainly highway use.

As it is Yokohama are prohibited from selling tyres in India currently, they do that carry the ISI mark.

I have had issues with Yokohama even earlier in my Landcruiser, there was excessive screech and boom in them. My best experience in Landcruisers has been Dunlop Grandtrek TG 28, 275/70R16 or R17 in LC 100.

I have had excellent results with Bridgestone AT 683 as well but this tread is not sold in India, what is available and also came as OE on my Xylo is 683 tread II, I have a set of them on my Bolero too currently 215/75/R15.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 16:50   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Hi Harjeev! This is my first post on your Landcruiser thread. It has indeed been a lucky find and its very heartening to see you painstakingly bringing the vehicle upto its Original condition and keeping it in good running order too. This ride deserves no less.
Hi Manuj, Thanks for posting on this thread.

Quote:
Your comment that you were happy with all these issues cropping up so that you get a chance to fix it once in for all made very good sense and blew me away. Hats off to your dedication.
Thanks again buddy. After all this is a 16 year old vehicle now. So I believe that these issues are bound to come up. When I bought and restored an old Ex-Army MM550 I did a complete makeover of the vehicle and actually spent 4 times the cost of the amount I paid to buy it. So I have a long way to go on this.
LOL !!!
Just kidding

I believe that its only one way to do things and thats the right way. Like when I was thinking of changing the air con compressor of the TLC quite a few people and AC guys in Delhi advised me to buy a Sanden Air Con compressor, SIMPLE REASON its cheap. But I stood my ground and decided that I would go for the original if I can and if not then I would wait till the time I can find and afford it.
I travel long distances on this vehicle with my family and surely I don't and wouldn't like to cut corners anywhere, especially the safety issues.
Quote:

I beleive this vehicle makes great financial sense too (apart for the 8-10 kmpl mileage figure). But im sure the way it drives more than makes up for the average mileage it returns.
It sure does buddy.
Also 8-10 KMPL isn't that bad when its compared to the vehicles that used to come when this was launched. I mean this vehicle was launched in 1990-97 and even in some of the old gen 100 series TLC's a variant of this engine was doing its duty for quite a while.
However surely the per Km costs when comparing to the new age diesels it surely pinches a bit especially when the trips are 2-3 K Kms long. But after all this is a 4200cc 3Ton truck and is bound to have some negatives.

Quote:

Please update the thread with some good interior pics too.
Will do so soon buddy. Planning to get the front two seats re-padded soon. So surely will post the pics of WIP and when done.
Quote:

Incidentally i came across you Delhi to Goa Travelogue too in the thread and read through it in one go! What a wonderful trip it was barring the Tyre issues.
Yeah the tyres issue was a bummer. However now I'm a bit careful and whenever on out station trips make a point of checking the air pressure each morning before starting out and carry 2 spare tyres along.
Quote:

I recently bought Brand new Yokohama Geolanders too for my Fortuner and one blew up (left rear) within 2-3 weeks of use due to a sidewall cut on the highway very unexpectedly. There is some issue with the Yokohamas i feel. My stock Dunlops lasted almost 75000 kms.

Look forward to your next update or travelogue on this thread. Cheers!
Now you've said that I vaguely remember that one of the two tyres that burst on my Goa trip had a small sidewall cut. Maybe that was a part culprit as well. Anyways whats done is done. Cant help it.
Cheers mate and thanks for looking up in this thread.

Quote:
There have been issues with Yokohama Geolanders recently. I had a set of them on my Bolero and two of them had the same problem last year, sidewalls bursting just on mainly highway use.

As it is Yokohama are prohibited from selling tyres in India currently, they do that carry the ISI mark.

I have had issues with Yokohama even earlier in my Landcruiser, there was excessive screech and boom in them. My best experience in Landcruisers has been Dunlop Grandtrek TG 28, 275/70R16 or R17 in LC 100.

I have had excellent results with Bridgestone AT 683 as well but this tread is not sold in India, what is available and also came as OE on my Xylo is 683 tread II, I have a set of them on my Bolero too currently 215/75/R15.
Sahid Bhai, the problem is that we don't get anything apart from Yokohama Geos in AT for this size in Delhi. For one moment I was thinking of maybe compiling a list of all the TLC owners and importing in bulk. But its too much trouble to be endured on a regular basis. I might just talk to the guys in Palika Bhawan whoimport spare parts from Dubai for our TLC's and other vehicles if they have any contacts with regards to this.
Cheers
Old 29th April 2013, 13:16   #172
Senior - BHPian

Wven if some tyre dealer is still selling Yokohama Geolander in India, its illegal. Without an ISI mark on them no tyre can be sold and Yokohama do not have the ISI mark yet.

The best tyre for highway use on your LC 80 would be Michelin LTX it has weak sidewalls but excellent highway ride, the Arabs swear by it.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:00   #173
BANNED

Quote:
Wven if some tyre dealer is still selling Yokohama Geolander in India, its illegal.

OT:Are you sure of this?
The market is full of Geolandar-ATs across all cities at most tire shops. I do not think such a big illegal operation can be carried out so openly.

And yes, if Yokohama is allowed to import Geolandars legally (there are tires in the market which are very fresh), then selling them too must be legal. No?
Old 29th April 2013, 16:32   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The market is full of Geolandar-ATs across all cities at most tire shops. I do not think such a big illegal operation can be carried out so openly.

And yes, if Yokohama is allowed to import Geolandars legally (there are tires in the market which are very fresh), then selling them too must be legal. No?
No tire which does not have ISI mark can be imported. However, dealers are still selling old stock, or stock which came in as "grey market illegal import".
That is the reason of severe shortage of non popular tires in the market.
For popular brands, foreign brands are getting BIS certification for their foreign plants. But for tires which are not volume sellers, it does not make sense to go for the certification, as it costs money and time in dealing with Bureaucracy.

Each factory has to be individually certified.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th April 2013 at 16:34.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:38   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Yeah the tyres issue was a bummer. However now I'm a bit careful and whenever on out station trips make a point of checking the air pressure each morning before starting out and carry 2 spare tyres along.
In some respects not a good idea. Reason behind is that the tyre valve has a thin seat and repeated seating can wear this off leading to leaky valve usually with a slow leak. The best is to check tyre pressure couple of days before long trips and then let it be unless visually you feel need to check. Also remember there is all the chance of dust / grime inside the tyre valve stem eroding the seat.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

On all long road trips one of the most useful things to have is a good air compressor to pump air into your tires. I always carry one a Bushranger compressor. It can inflate a 275/70/R16 tyre like yours in 45 seconds flat.

A highway tyre repair shop may not even have a quality tyre valve. It is best to carry a few.

I will write an article later on what and where to store in your vehicle when going on a long road trip or off road.

But in your LC 80 there is a handle on the rear door for opening the door from inside for the 3rd row seat passenger. It is the ideal place to hang a small canvas bag containing parts for a tyre repair kit which should include some valves, valve pins and valve caps along with a tubeless tyre puncture repair kit and a pair of long nosed pliers.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:36   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have a set of new Geo AT with ISI markings.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 18:42   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have a set of new Geo AT with ISI markings.
Thank you for the correct information Tini. Where is your LC thread Sir?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However, dealers are still selling old stock, or stock which came in as "grey market illegal import".
There you go with the correct answer.
Old 1st May 2013, 14:53   #179
Senior - BHPian

In this case Yokohama would have obtained the ISI mark recently. They are planning to enter India in a big way, planning to set up a manufacturing plant and they are looking for regional distributors now.
Old 14th November 2013, 16:51   #180
BHPian

I just picked up a set of 4 Geo ATs 275/70/16s in Mumbai with a 31st week of 13 manufacturing date. So I guess these are legally imported.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks