Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 09:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mooza, good to see you all enjoying the Scorp. Congrats on the first year !

Did the foam on the gear lever help at all ?

Also, pls put up one sticker - so that we may be able to recognize your Scorp when you see it. As for me, there's only one Sumo in BLR with the GB? sticker
Old 12th September 2010, 10:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Mooza, good to see you all enjoying the Scorp. Congrats on the first year !
Did the foam on the gear lever help at all ?
Also, pls put up one sticker - so that we may be able to recognize your Scorp when you see it. As for me, there's only one Sumo in BLR with the GB? sticker
Thanks Condor !

The foam on the gear lever makes it feel good to hold, at least ! It does help a wee bit in reducing the feel of vibrations, IMO. Readymade gear knob foam covers are not available in my area at least, hence this DIY.

Yes, will plan to buy the BHP stickers, they do attract a lot of attention and respect ! Will keep a look out for your Sumo
Old 12th September 2010, 14:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

A couple of months after the purchase, I started planning for the first long drive in my Scorpio, to our native place near Mangalore, 10
kms off the Bangalore Mangalore highway NH48. I thought of doing a check up / servicing of the Scorp, at Sireesh Auto, Marathahalli, before
undertaking the journey.

The service advisor at Sireesh Auto checked up the vehicle by doing a TD alongwith me, during which I informed him of the oil drops
appearing below the differential, and slight stiffness while engaging the 2nd gear, and regarding the brakes, which felt a bit sluggish.
Following jobs were taken up and completed after my approval :
Brake pads replacement, repairs / adjustments, Anabond sealant (differential leaks), pedal rubber set replacement.

Total Bill Amount : Rs. 8400/-, including paid service labour.

I used the vehicle for a couple of weeks, to allow it to fully settle down after the jobs done at the ASC. The differential leaks had
stopped, and the braking felt better. The gear changing stiffness in second gear persisted, but since the stiffness disappeared when the vehicle warmed up, I got used to this (nowadays I do not realise the stiffness at all !)

With this, we were off to Mangalore, with family in tow (5 passengers in all).The ride on the highway was very comfortable and enjoyable for all on the good road stretch, till Mysore, and then Kushalnagar. I hardly felt any strain while driving. Overtaking was a breeze, even with the boot filled to the brim. The engine felt amazingly responsive, with or without AC. It pulled effortlessly even on inclines. Since my family members are of average build and height (except the 6 footed me !) no one complained of cramped space. My kids loved every bit of the journey, through rain and shine !

After the stop for lunch, we reached the potholed ghat roads, near Coorg. It is from this point onwards that all the occupants of the Scorp
started getting tossed around quite a bit, with a lot of swaying and bouncing around, the vehicle hardly settling down, before lurching all over the place again. My family blamed the roads for their sorry state, wondering how things became so bad with the roads. Maybe they were being polite, since the car had been recently acquired

However it became all too evident to me that the suspension was not doing its job well. Add to that the high seating position, creating head toss effects ! Since this was the older model leaf spring Scorp, this did not come as a surprise to me.

By and large we really enjoyed our first journey in the Scorp, particularly since the good stretches of road were much longer than the bad
ones.

But upon the return from Mangalore, I set aside a budget for some suspension mods, to try and improve the ride quality on bad and uneven roads

Last edited by mooza : 12th September 2010 at 14:54.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2010, 19:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

For getting the rear suspension checked up for any possible improvements in the bouncing and swaying ride quality, I went to my ASC. I explained the problems in detail, and we did the standard bounce test to demonstrate the jiggly bounce of the vehicle.

Unfortunately the ASC guys told me that they would not be able to do anything about this, as this was the older model Scorpio, and we had to live with this ! Conversion to coil spring multilink suspension too was ruled out by them. Would replacing the dampers help, I queried. The answer was negative again.

So I came back and searched for some stiffer shocks on the net, to take care of the rebound bouncing, as I observed from most automotive literature that a good suspension needs to be fairly soft, with good dampers, to give a good ride quality. During this I found some TBHP links which talked about Bilstein shocks for the Scorpio :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...uspension.html

I got the Bilstein shocks fitted on all the 4 corners at an FNG, and drove back from the workshop (15 km drive) through varied surfaces. The results felt pretty good. The boat effect & swaying had reduced considerably, handling was much more assured. I felt vehicle now settled down much quicker after hitting small bumps and undulations, which took care of the constant bobbing up & down and unsettled feeling which was there earlier.

Before installation, I had done some crude push pull checks on the Bilsteins (pressing the dampers by hand on the floor with my body weight), on both the stock damper which was removed, as well as the Bilstein damper. I found the Bilstein to be at least twice as difficullt to stroke down, compared to the stock damper. This is what contributes to the better damping, I guessed.

The cost was 38k for the full set of four shocks. Direct imports from abroad could save a few bucks, maybe, if one scouted around.

For a few weeks, I was caught between the composite leaf spring and this mod. I finally decided on the Bilsteins for all 4 corners, as I felt that since the composite leaf spring is being offered currently only for the rear, the front end would still remain choppy. Moreover, an upgrade of just the shocks was not, in my opinion, as bad as tinkering with the springs, which are the main load carrying members !

I compared the results and was satisfied, as during my next drive to Mangalore, the vehicle felt settled, and no complaints from any occupants this time round

The Bilsteins are seen in blue and yellow in the pic of my beast below :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1636.jpg

To counter the mild bumpiness while driving alone (empty lorry syndrome !), I loaded the rearmost end of the boot with around 50 kgs of ballast, courtesy the first hand experience / advice of fellow BHPian Shankar Balan. Believe me, this small weight makes a world of difference in making the vehicle feel planted on the road. I wonder how this ballast could be fixed permanently using steel flats or bars, suggestions would be wecome !

Last edited by mooza : 13th September 2010 at 20:11.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

During my next visit to the ASC for a general check up a couple of months ago, I was informed that the leaf springs would need to be re cambered, as they had sagged. It was then that I remembered an interesting discussion with fellow BHPian gd1418 on the "added leaf" mod he had done on his Scorpio :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1679191

I further contacted fellow BHPian Pradeep Kumar who had done gd1418's mod on his leaf spring Scorpio as well, and he gave me good inputs on this too.

I took up and did this mod as well, at an FNG, while doing the recambering job. The results were very good after the added leaf. The body roll had lessened further. The rear bobbing / up and down motion reduced further too. The ride felt a bit more hard (but firm and planted), when driving alone. So I reduced my tyre pressures from 32 to 30 psi, and the ride comfort in the beast had improved further. I would definitely recommend adding the leaf no. 6 to any leaf spring Scorpio owner, particularly if the springs have sagged, and any way need removal for servicing.

With all these changes I feel my that my suspension is perfectly optimised now, thanks to the several really helpful inputs, mostly from fellow members here !

In the final analysis on the suspension of my older Scorpio, I could summarise as follows :

I realised that the bounciness of my older model Scorpio is influenced by :

1. Tyre pressures : too low pressures (below 29 psi) makes the ride worse in terms of bounciness, on account of increased tyrewall flex (acting like a spring to further increase the net suspension travel). I increased the tyre pressures to 34 psi, and felt much lesser bounce on bad roads.

Cost : Nil

2. Ballast weights at the rear : definitely reduces the bumpiness at the rear.

Cost : of the ballast

3. Leaf spring stiffening (adding a leaf) - a very good option, for reducing the rear bounciness / swaying

Cost : Rs. 1900/- approx

4. Stiffer shocks like Bilsteins, to reduce the secondary oscillations and help in quicker settling of the vehicle, when it goes through potholes.

Cost : Around 38k (could be a bit cheaper if imported directly, I guess)

So it is obviously better to proceed step by step, to cut / control our costs.

Overall, I do admit the above may not be a good tuning of the suspension for offroading, on account of the effect of reducing the suspension travel required for better grip during offroading, for which the Scorpio is designed. But since I do less offroading, and more people moving on tarmac, lesser suspension travel (and the resulting reduced energy storing needs imposed on the dampers) suited my requirements perfectly. Now this is the closest to a sedan like ride that I have achieved in my Scorpio, so far,

Phew. That ends the part on the suspension ! A seating mod to come up shortly
Old 19th September 2010, 16:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

A couple of pics after installing art leather seat covers (G-Sport) yesterday. Cost me 7800 Rs. after discount :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1704.jpg

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1705.jpg

Also, a few months ago, I had removed the side facing 3rd row seats, moved the 2nd row back, and installed a new second row seat, making them all front facing seats. The seat at the 3rd row is installed at a little higher position, to give better thigh support, and this also results in good luggage space below the seat :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1630.jpg
Old 19th September 2010, 18:13   #22
BHPian

Nice car!

Hello Mooza, just checked your thread and that is ceratinly a well kept car that you have got. Albeit, I am a little apprehensive of the last row seats whose hieght you have increased. Doesn't that tend have less headroom for people at the back and hamper rear visibility at the same time? If it doesn't, then its some amazing job. After all, whats style without convenience for...!

Cheers
Champion
Old 20th September 2010, 07:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Champion, for the compliments !

Regarding headroom, considering the lesser legroom, the last row cannot comfortably accommodate people of over 5' 8" height anyway. For people lesser than 5' 8" height, the headroom is sufficient, with more than a couple of inches to spare. Suits my family really nice, since I am the only 6 footer (and always in the drivers seat!), the rest of them are below 5'8" height. My kids really love to be in the last row, it suits them fine, with good all round visibility. Yes, the rear visibility for me is a bit reduced, I have installed reversing sensors, maybe I will pick up a reversing camera too, sometime later.

Another plus point is that the thigh support for the 3rd row passengers with the raised seat is now excellent, on par with the 2nd row seats !

The additional luggage space is the real added bonus. I do not need to have the roof rack now

Last edited by mooza : 20th September 2010 at 07:41.
Old 20th September 2010, 09:29   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good show murali
my neighbour has a black scorpio 2004 April model. still in superb condition.
no troubles at all.
another friend of mine has a 2003 Black Scorpio DX - it also is in superb condition after having done 1.26 lac Kms on the clock.
it is a good, solid, reliable vehicle. being a Mahindra it is relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain too.
your silver Scorp looks very nice indeed.
all the best and welcome to Scorpio Country.
Old 20th September 2010, 09:37   #25
BHPian

Hi,
Nice seat covers and pleased to hear that the added leaf spring and the new shocks have improved your ride quality.I did not venture into adding new shocks .
Have a safe ride.

cheers
Old 20th September 2010, 10:03   #26
BHPian

Dear Murli,

A very interesting 'ball by ball' write up- a must read for those wanting to or need a shove on their decision making for a used scorpio. These articles makes BHP a very knowledgeable cite to be a member of. Great pics on the modifications carried out- a little apprehensive about the rear seat??
Old 20th September 2010, 11:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
good show murali
my neighbour has a black scorpio 2004 April model. still in superb condition.no troubles at all.
another friend of mine has a 2003 Black Scorpio DX - it also is in superb condition after having done 1.26 lac Kms on the clock.
it is a good, solid, reliable vehicle. being a Mahindra it is relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain too.
your silver Scorp looks very nice indeed.
all the best and welcome to Scorpio Country.
Thanks a lot Shankar, it is confidence inspiring to see so many of the older Scorpios still doing well !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi,
Nice seat covers and pleased to hear that the added leaf spring and the new shocks have improved your ride quality.I did not venture into adding new shocks . Have a safe ride. cheers
Hey Pradeep, thanks for your wishes, as well as for your timely feedbacks, which helped towards my added leaf mod !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Murli, A very interesting 'ball by ball' write up- a must read for those wanting to or need a shove on their decision making for a used scorpio. These articles makes BHP a very knowledgeable cite to be a member of. Great pics on the modifications carried out- a little apprehensive about the rear seat??
Thanks Judemayne !

I too was quite apprehensive when the FNG took up the seat mod, but am really satisfied with the results
Old 21st September 2010, 18:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I took up and did this mod as well, at an FNG, while doing the recambering job. The results were very good after the added leaf.
Today I lowered the rear end of my vehicle to its original height by flattening the leaf springs. It was actually an exercise for correcting the excessive camber provided by the leaf spring workshop during re-cambering, which had resulted in almost 4.5 inches gap between the bump stop and the chassis frame. The arrow in the pic below shows the excessive gap earlier :

Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review-img_1636.jpg

After reducing the leaf spring camber, the ride height at the rear has reduced by nearly 3 inches. The ride quality has improved noticeably, with lesser head / neck toss effect, particularly for the middle and 3rd rows, on account of the reduced height. It is worthwile to do a crosscheck after re-cambering / leaf spring servicing to ensure that this gap of around 2 inches is not exceeded, to have better ride quality, unless one is looking to deliberately increase ground clearance.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:18   #29
BANNED

Murali, what is the warranty that the Bilsteins come with? Where did you buy them from and do you know if they have shock absorbers for the coil spring version too?

Also, how much did it cost you for the last row seat? Where was it done and were any holes/mounts drilled/welded onto the body while doing so?
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

a great ownership report mooza. good to see your vehicle performing well after the suspension mods.

also, the seat covers look fabulous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks