Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 00:45   #1
udaykars

Hyundai I20 crdi, 1 year ownership review

Hello friends,
It's been very long time since I posted a thread. However, I have been active on following updates. Now, am here with a short ownership review of my i20 crdi. I brought this amazing machine an year ago, after lot of research that suits my requirements.!

Buying Experience:
I wanted a car which is powerful Diesel, good looking and spacious car. 8 lac car is out of my budget. so had to choose with in 7 lac. Checked out swift , punto, Getz. I like swift but, it had cramped rear seat [which my mom hates] Punto wasn't powerful enough. I was in hunt for the right car, just then I got a call from Talwar hyundai [hyderabad] saying about the New Launch of i20 crdi 1.4 cc 90bhp. I quickly asked for a test drive, which was arranged in 1 week. I took the test drive and just fell in love with the car. so finally zeroed down to i20 crdi.
I bought a Berry Red i20 crdi magna.

Owning Experience
I absolutely had no issues with my car's performance. It gives me an average of 15 kmpl both Highway and city driving. Step on the gas, and it zooms of like a rocket. It's faster than swift and punto, but does not handle like them on the corners.. The Brakes are Mighty even with stock 175 tyres. ABS does it's job so well that, it creates problem when I Play some DRIFTING .
I had already clocked around 18000 kms in less than one year. Hit the max speeds of 175 kmph still had minimum vibrations. Took it on few long trips like Shridi, banglore etc, It gives a effortless and Happy drive for both the front and rear passengers, Thanks to the ultra light steering, cool interiors, smooth gear box, Dead peddle, good seats, High safety features, great brakes, Comfortable leg space at the rear and not to forget the good enough boot space.
However, I felt few things could have been better. Like the AC is not that efficient as my ford. The A-pillar gives you poor view of the vehicles in the Blind spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai I20 crdi, 1 year ownership review-car.jpg  

Hyundai I20 crdi, 1 year ownership review-dsc013431.jpg  

Hyundai I20 crdi, 1 year ownership review-dsc003661.jpg  

Hyundai I20 crdi, 1 year ownership review-dsc00367.jpg  

(1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 12:36   #2
BHPian

Uday,

Many congrats for owning the Diesel Rocket. i20 is a good looking car with good space and features. The Diesel avatar is definately the best choice if one can afford.

Wish you many many happy miles!

15KMPL for both City/Highway.

My guess, Sedate City driving and Spirited on the highways.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
Old 24th September 2010, 22:32   #3
udaykars

Thanks Autocop.!! Yeah I meant an average mileage of 15 kmpl, lol. In city driving I get 13 -14 kmpl. and on highway I get 18-20 kmpl.

Old 28th September 2010, 21:20   #4
BHPian

Congrats udaykars. Many happy miles ahead.
I too own the i20 CRDi for the past 67 days (to be exact) and i am happy with it, no issues yet.
Mine average is 15.9 KmPL for the last 3 fills. How do you track this?
Old 29th September 2010, 13:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Really a great car with amazing features.
How is the cost of servicing? Should be more than Verna and I guess all these spares are imported. A breakup of service would be more helpful.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

The first pic looks great.Nice alloys.

2009 Magna has ABS?
Old 29th September 2010, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Uday, any rattling issues? Seems to be the most important issue with the car.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:43   #8
BHPian

Same question, have you faced any problems with rattling or any steering rack issues.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up one year of ownership
Old 5th July 2011, 14:14   #9
BHPian

Re: Hyundai I20 crdi, 1 year ownership review

I hope its ok to use this thread to tell my story about the ownership of my i20 CRDI for the past 2 years and 50k Kms.

My i20 CRDI will be 2 years old on 13th july 2011. I have already completed 50K kms till date and recently got it serviced for 50k Kms from Talwar Hyundai, Tadbund Road, Hyderabad. I am absolutely happy with the quality of service and response there.

My service cost came to about Rs. 8500/- including all fluids change i.e., the Engine oil, Transmission oil, Coolant, Brake oil etc.,. Further my filters such as diesel filter, oil filter and air filter were also changed. Full service was done and interior cleaning, allignment and brake cleaning were done.

The left hand side front strut which had gone kaput was replaced under warranty free of cost which is about 7k plus labour about 2k. So I saved about Rs. 9K. I was not even told about it and they did it themselves and I was informed only at the time of delivery of the vehicle. Thats a good gesture and quality and reliable service.

Apart from routine service my rear wiper was deliberately broken by some idiot and I had to get it replaced and the cost of the arm is about 900 and the blade is about 1200. I also got the spoiler fitted with costed me about 5k including its painting cost and fitment.

All in all I am very happy and the rattle noise in the front side is totally gone and it was due to the faulty strut and not due to the stearing issue. My stearing issue was fixed earlier only and till date I have no issues with it. In fact while coming back from Hyderabad couple of my regular friends who travel with me often were with me in the car and they were saying that they are getting the feeling that they are travelling in a brand new car. I really appreciate Hyundai quality cos even after 50k Kms you will have to work your ears hard to hear a rattle. Absolutely no rattles in fact.

One more thing I missed mentioning is that my ac vents were cracked and the adjusters broken and they will be replaced under warranty but since there was no stock they have told me that they will inform me once the stock arrives and I can get them fitted free of cost. The cost of all the four vents is about Rs. 12k. So another saving there because of warranty. So I decided to buy extended warranty by paying a sum of Rs. 10,200/- for one more year.

In fact just recently I was thinking about selling off my i20 and buying the ANHV crdi automatic but now after the 50k service I have changed my mind and I am planning to retain it for at least another year.

All in all I am very happy with Hyundai and Talwar for their product quality, service and courtesy and ease of claiming warranty.

Note from Support: Abusive language is not allowed on the forum, even indirectly.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th July 2011 at 15:54. Reason: Note Inline
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 14:26   #10
BHPian

Are AC vents covered under warranty? Wouldn't that come under regular wear and tear? They are plastics.
Old 5th July 2011, 17:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Are AC vents covered under warranty? Wouldn't that come under regular wear and tear? They are plastics.

Yes with Hyundai they are covered under warranty. When I reported the matter with Talwar Hyundai Service they immediately called the person at Delhi handling AC and its warranty and he confirmed that they can replace them under warranty but since the part was not available immediately thry will be replaced once available under warranty only.

Quote:
Note from Support: Abusive language is not allowed on the forum, even indirectly.
[/quote]

Sorry I was hurt so much that I had to spend more than 2200 unnecessarily I used such a word. I shall not repeat it.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 15:04. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:03   #12

Hi ,

Planning to buy I20 CRDI Asta, But seen mix of reviews about this car , Mainly steering rattle problem and low Air conditioning, Whether this is the permanent issue or Hyindai has done any workaround - Can somebody share their experiences
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikbhp View Post
Hi ,

Mainly steering rattle problem and low Air conditioning, Whether this is the permanent issue or Hyindai has done any workaround - Can somebody share their experiences
If you want to believe Hyundai's loose talk, yes the steering rattle issue has been solved.

If you want to believe i20 owners who still are facing the problem, the answer is no, it has not been solved yet. The truth is that it is a design defect which is results in the rattle recurring.It vanishes/gets reduced after the supposed fix but returns soon after. Just google of i20 steering rattle, see how many results come up. Why only google, here on team-bhp there are many such threads too.

Hyundai salesmen try to tell prospective owners that they have solved the issue and all new i20s are rattle free(2010/2011). But when they are shown the proof of it( as one gentleman did here on team-bhp i.e showing the salesman threads on team-bhp), they run helter skelter, not knowing what to answer.

As for my i20's woes, go through this thread. You will get to know about Hyundai's failed steering rattle fixes. : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html

I have been told to wait for a modification of the steering(rack/column). I am still waiting!!!! As of today, the steering rattle is unbearably loud and I got so bugged that I have put a sticker on the rear glass pf the car stating " The i20 has serious problems with its steering system and this car has suffered from steering failure twice. If you are looking to buy one, think twice. It concerns yours & your family's safety." It won't make an iota of a difference to Hyundai, but it will make people think twice or cancel their plans to buy one.

EDIT : we filed a case in the consumer court over this and a couple of other issues with the car in January.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 23rd August 2011 at 17:35.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If you want to believe Hyundai's loose talk, yes the steering rattle issue has been solved.
==================
EDIT : we filed a case in the consumer court over this and a couple of other issues with the car in January.

Thanks for the valuable inputs and will certainly consider your inputs

Thanks much for the inputs

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd August 2011 at 18:53. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 10:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
Congrats udaykars. Many happy miles ahead.
I too own the i20 CRDi for the past 67 days (to be exact) and i am happy with it, no issues yet.
Mine average is 15.9 KmPL for the last 3 fills. How do you track this?
Which mobile phone do you use? There are apps these days which can help you keep track of these details.

Most Viewed