Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 09:55   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

The MP forests trip travelogue has started - available here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-fortuner.html

Will update as and when I get some time - too much work pile up!

No visible or noticeable issues after the trip - what a tough girl! Will know for sure once I do the 15000 km servicing.

Meanwhile, Nandi Toyota called up and apologized, promising me better service next time I come. Also reiterated that they will touch up the scratches when I bring down the vehicle next. Will give them this last try.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 17th June 2011 at 10:00.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:37   #287
Senior - BHPian

Summary of Fortuner performance during the recent roadtrip

• Kms traveled: ~ 3500 km door to door
  • Mileage: around 10.5 kms/L (I would have got lot more if I had driven sedately)
  • Average speeds: 80-90 kmph if I leave out stopping times. Cruising b/w 100 - 150 kmph most of the time
  • Highest run in a day: Sarjapur Road, Bangalore to Pench (with some detours)...1150+ kms appx. Time taken: 3 AM - 8 PM, with 2 hr 30 - 2hr 45 mins of breaks in total
  • Taken in stride: deep potholes, unseen bumps, really heavy squall where the 4wd came in very handy, forrest terrain without roads at night
  • Issues: none to report, as of yet. No puncture or apparent misalignment. No squeaks. I did hear some squeaks on the second day on bad roads (Tala stretch), so will get to know if there is an issue when I do the servicing. Also, gear felt stiff one evening, but I guess it was due to my own fault rather than any issue since the problem went away the moment I consciously relaxed during gear change. Still, will check underbody, suspension and gearbox during servicing
  • Narrow escapes: 3 dogs, 2 goats, 1 human, one Palio (who decided to suddenly stop and take a left into a petrol pump at the last moment)
  • Traveled in temperatures b/w 40-50 degrees during the day. AC ensured no problem or fatigue. Car parked in the heat for hours because there was no alternative.
  • Great performance from V-kool sunfilm (windscreen and the rest).
  • Seat belts rattle if not secured properly. Irritating at times.
  • The space at the back - after folding the rear seats - is really useful. Space for 5 people's gear easily, including camera gear.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th June 2011 at 16:39.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:10   #288
Senior - BHPian

Re: Summary of Fortuner performance during the recent roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
  • Kms traveled: ~ 3500 km door to door
Hi Nils,
Great to see Bison running fabulously well - touchwood !

About that alignment issue - had the same experience when we were on the southern run when Admiral ran over two hidden 6-8" road humps (placed very ingeniously one after the other ) at 120 KMPH.
Well nothing happened to the alignment though I was not very sure ! Checked and rechecked everything as well as the drive/steering characteristics. And when I went in for the 5K service wanted to carry out the alignment operation. The SA took it out for a long spin and was wondering why it was required. Haven't got it done till date and it moves straight as an arrow with the hands off the steering wheel.

The TFort is one toughie allright.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:32   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nils,
Great to see Bison running fabulously well - touchwood !

About that alignment issue - had the same experience when we were on the southern run when Admiral ran over two hidden 6-8" road humps (placed very ingeniously one after the other ) at 120 KMPH.
Well nothing happened to the alignment though I was not very sure ! Checked and rechecked everything as well as the drive/steering characteristics. And when I went in for the 5K service wanted to carry out the alignment operation. The SA took it out for a long spin and was wondering why it was required. Haven't got it done till date and it moves straight as an arrow with the hands off the steering wheel.

The TFort is one toughie allright.
+1 to that. One tough lady. OT: I have started disliking the view of spotlights from the side view - reminds me of Dolly or Pamela.

The bump I went over at 120kmph (? probably) some kms after passing Bangalore airport would have stopped a non-SUV from continuing the trip without alignment service (or repair service). To think it happened because I was being nice to two stupid trucks who were coming from the other side in full high beam, and I temporarily dipped to low beam to accommodate them! I should have switched on my Blitzes instead! Just joking, I would never do that. Anyway, I didn't see that X$%X bump till it was too late.

And then there were 3 potholes one after the other just before the left turn into Pench (on NH7). I went like thud...thud...thud. The thing with NH7 n that stretch,..roads are smooth..and then suddenly you have 8-10 inch potholes in the middle of nowhere. Daytime it is fine, but nighttime, when traffic is coming from the other side on high beam, one doesn't get to react in time.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:45   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. One tough lady.
Amen.
Though I most vehemently disagree with you on the 'Lady' part.

I have had similar experiences with my Scorp (which I still consider a tough old chap) but after it emerged from pot holes or rode over poorly constructed/ramped culverts - I could immediately sense that the alignment was totally awry. This happened at least twice on the Mumbai-Blr drives both somewhere after Ranebennur where the road dips and rises up to a culvert and after the concrete patch suddenly dips again. And no way of spotting it even during the day. And both times sailed over it at 130 KMPH and emerged with the steering having moved away from the dead center by almost 15-20 degrees.
And no such issues with the TFort. Thank God for small mercies and tough suspensions. If not it can ruin your peace of mind, tyres and vacation time.
Old 30th June 2011, 15:41   #291
Senior - BHPian

15000 km update

Had gone for servicing at Nandi Toyota. Experience was good this time - people seemed to be extra careful after my complaints.

Report:
* Suspension: all fine, no issues (I wanted to get this checked because of the bad potholes and bumps that I had gone over at speed)
* Gearbox: all fine, no issues (so that gear grinding - that happened once - was a one off thing, perhaps due to timing error on my part)
* Alignment: front wheels had a minor misalignment due to the massive bumps + potholes - sorted out now.
* Brakes - fine

So basically no issues after the long trip.

Changed engine oil and oil filter. Will be doing it every 5K.

Total cost came to Rs. 4000 odd.
Old 4th July 2011, 17:39   #292
Senior - BHPian

Nilgiri Bison

From a recent trip

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7970.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7968.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7982.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_79561.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7993.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7991.jpg

Quick one day/night trip to the jungles. Two tuskers in the night below the machaan. Solo drive around midnight back to the resort through the jungle roads - had to offroad + cross one shallow stream around midnight (this is why I love the Fortuner - game for anything anytime, and super dependable). Driving is not allowed that late, but I had gone to another resort near Mavanallah/Sigur to enjoy the campfire, and it got late by the time I finished there. I was hoping I don't get stopped by the forest patrol, and that the elephants don't come too close when I park my car below the machaan (see last picture) before climbing up the stairs.
Old 8th July 2011, 23:25   #293
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Vehicle is running well - pretty smooth.

Have a few small but deep scratches - some kid must have started poking the paint with a pin or something. Slightly deep, so didn't go away after rubbing. Thinking of taking her to a beauty parlour (car detailing session) - maybe they will be able to fix it.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:04   #294
Senior - BHPian

Re: propeller shaft greasing

I was a bit concerned after reading Guderian's experience. I spoke to Nandi today and asked them to check their records for 10000 km servicing. The SA checked with the technician, and got back saying that propeller shaft lubrication was done during the 10K servicing. I probed, asking exactly what was done. So he checked again and said that lubrication was done through the nipples. So I am assuming that the greasing was done alright.

Next time I will be present :-)
Old 12th July 2011, 19:05   #295
Senior - BHPian

Came across an amazing thread - haven't read anything like this (more impressed because of the risk factor). About overlanding through Congo in a Landcruiser. This is the link: Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa (mods, please remove if you feel inappropriate).

Takes guts to go through a war torn country with a woman. These guys apparently traveled through Mongolia, Iceland etc. Must be nice to save up and do such trips. Only if we could take such sabbaticals in India :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th July 2011 at 19:17.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 22:19   #296
BHPian

was the snap taken at forest Hills , inspired by your opening fotos in this thread and route / resort details provided by you . We visited forest hills resort this fri / sat and stayed at the tree house, my kids really enjoyed .

Mr.Radhakrishnan at the resort was curious to know how we got to know of the resort and was glad when i mentioned about you.

Thanxs for sharing .
Old 12th July 2011, 23:29   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across an amazing thread - haven't read anything like this (more impressed because of the risk factor). About overlanding through Congo in a Landcruiser. This is the link: Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa (mods, please remove if you feel inappropriate).

Takes guts to go through a war torn country with a woman. These guys apparently traveled through Mongolia, Iceland etc. Must be nice to save up and do such trips. Only if we could take such sabbaticals in India :-)
This has already been covered long back in the forum http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ugh-congo.html
Old 13th July 2011, 00:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
was the snap taken at forest Hills , inspired by your opening fotos in this thread and route / resort details provided by you . We visited forest hills resort this fri / sat and stayed at the tree house, my kids really enjoyed .

Mr.Radhakrishnan at the resort was curious to know how we got to know of the resort and was glad when i mentioned about you.

Thanxs for sharing .
Yes, it was Forest Hills. Glad you liked the place. Did you have any elephants moving around below in the evening?

@ Milecruncher: Well, I don't read every thread here :-)...but thanks for the link. Thought I would share it since I was excited after coming across it today.

By the way, I was reading about the MMI custom AVN for Fortuner. Does anyone know what the sound quality is like? No point in putting such a system just for navigation if SQ is average.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th July 2011 at 00:43.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:16   #299
BHPian

^^
Hi nilanjan,
If u are after something like a HU with a built in SatNav, do have a look at Caska. They are a Bangalore based company, so after sales support shouldn't be a worry.
There's a thread going on in the forum about Caska units.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:08   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Nils,
Thanks for the link. A truly delightful read.
Sabbaticals ? I don't want to come back at all - just keep doing such great trips.
Siiigh - if only I could get someone to fund the expeditions !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks